Age of Wonders: Planetfall

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Age of Wonders: Planetfall

Post by Danimal »

I thought I would post a little bit about this game since it is available on consoles as well. I’ve played all the AOW games, their roots are in 4x fantasy genre and in my opinion were always better than their competition like Might & Magic etc.

This new version is a SciFi setting but it is still the same core mechanics. I’m honestly not entirely sure of the story at this point as I seem to be a commander that is dropping down on various planets, colonizing them and exploiting their resources. The best way to describe this game is a mix of Civ 6 with the tactical combat of X-com. There is a vast array of technologies both military and non-military to research. Units and structures to build and just a vast number of systems to learn so at this point it is all a bit new.

One of the things I liked about the AOW games is the various quests you can undertake and those still exist. There are also heroes you can recruit and the unit types seem kind of cool. At this point I seem to be fighting only bug type creatures. The tactical combat is also something I like but you can auto combat encounters if you like. At this point the whole game seems land based, I don’t see how there would be space battles.

I can’t really give an impression at this point because there is so much to learn but if you’re looking for a 4x Civ type game with tactical combat and lots of polish you might want to keep an eye out on this one.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Age of Wonders: Planetfall

Post by Rodster »

How does it compare to Alpha Centauri if you've played that game?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Rodster wrote:How does it compare to Alpha Centauri if you've played that game?
Played it but barely remember it. It's more like the most recent Civ game but with action point based tactical combat.
Follow Me on:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Glad you posted this.. getting it tonight or sometime this week. Loved AOW 3 and this one looks amazing.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I'm into the 2nd campaign mission after the tutorial (which is really well done) and I'm having a fantastic time playing this game.

Not only is it a beautiful game, but it's really deep with a ton of decisions to make. The combat is a blast to play out, with lots of tactical depth. Really impressed with this one so far!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Enjoying it a lot myself as well. Not sure it is a DSP crowd type game, most of the guys here like FPS but for us turn based strategy dinosaurs it is a gem.
Follow Me on:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Danimal wrote:Enjoying it a lot myself as well. Not sure it is a DSP crowd type game, most of the guys here like FPS but for us turn based strategy dinosaurs it is a gem.
I'm a TBS junkie and love the setting of the game.