The Golf Club 2019

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Golf Club 2019

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:Last night on that seemly easy course i couldn't hit a straight shot to save my life. I really struggled with tempo despite me thinking I was doing the same old swing.

I played with John's ghost last night and I noticed like Vader your guys approach shots are say 85% of the time spot on, within 10 feet or closer and your balls seem to stop on the same greens my shots are rolling off. Considering my drive is almost always in front of both of you can I ask what exactly your doing to get those fantastic results? Is it adjust the loft higher on your shots?

Be nice if there was a practice mode to hit into a green to practice this stuff.
I always pretend the pin is like 5 to 8% closer to me than what is shown. In most cases, I find that I'm better off missing a shot short of the target, than long. I'll generally tend to loft up a club, even though its stated carry distance may be 3 to 5% less than the target. Even lofting the club slightly gives you a better chance of holding the green. Still, I play this game with a run-up shot mentality, unless the greens are soft.

The only time I deloft a full approach shot is when I'm trying to get a little more roll out of my 2-iron, in an effort to bridge the large cap between the 2-iron and 2-wood.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I putted horribly today as I was rushing for my trip to the airport. Good luck to everyone...

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

I couldn't imagine the frustration if this weekend's course was playing fast greens.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Hole 11, Round 3. Enjoy :twisted:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

JOZ wrote:Hole 11, Round 3. Enjoy :twisted:
That was among the top 3 all time ridiculous pin placements I've ever seen in my life! I saw what happened to your putt and knew the only way to avoid it happening to me was to make the 37 foot putt I faced. Mine was from far more of a side hill angle than yours. I came up about a foot short of the hole and the ball followed the same funnel path away to the same spot your putt stopped at, 32 feet away. I saw your par putt do the old, miss six inches to the left and roll back to your feet.

When I hit my putt, I said to myself, you're not going to leave this one short. I had the benefit of seeing how yours broke, so I wound up aiming a bit further out to the right. I made my putt for par... somehow, but if I had missed it short or long, it would have left me either the same putt, or a downhiller of such severity I'd be looking a double or triple bogey, or worse.

I was four strokes behind you in round 4, as I approached one hole, early in the back 9. I missed the green short and had like a 35 foot chip shot to a pin on a severe slope. My chip shot almost went in the hole, coming within inches of it before stopping, and then rolling and rolling until it was finally back at my feet again. I did the same thing with my "par" chip attempt, and faced the exact same shot again.

I'd had enough at that point and RAGE quit, I was about ready to make a new wall ornament out my controller, since this was the 4th, come back and collect at your feet putt or chip I'd had in this round! I wish someone would do a LiDAR version of Liberty National because it deserves to be done right. I related very little to what I was seeing on TV to what I was seeing on this rendition of it. It may have been sour grapes on my part, but I wound up giving this course 2 stars.

It was childish of me to quit the round and thus the tournament, but honestly, I'd reached my breaking point :oops:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Two stars? It deserved no stars really. Add #13 on the last round for the ridiculousness title, some of the pin placements were just maddening. Even if your putt were 2-3 ft of the pin, I would miss them and turn into some 35 ft some putts with more breaks and curves than the real course would ask for.

Didn’t rage quit, but it was not fun at all...

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

10spro wrote:Didn’t rage quit, but it was not fun at all...
I was sooooo close to this....

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I'm beginning to reach levels of suckage I'd never dreamed of in this game. In today's daily at "The Reserve @ Spanos Park (wonderful course, BTW!), I 3-putted seven holes... five of them on the front 9! I can't read putts and when I do read them correctly, I pull them. My misery was compounded by the fact that I made the decision to go with Master clubs today. It was fun bombing 315 yard drives, I just wish more than two of them had hit the fairway. :o

I had fun though, it was definitely a dynamic round, full of adventure, but also humiliating moments of incompetence. I think I wound up shooting a 75 (+3) thanks to an eagle and two birdies. Two of my three putts were for pars on holes in which I'd reached the par 5 green in two. I also missed three putts of less than four feet in this round.... dayum! :oops: :)

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

J_Cauthen wrote:I'm beginning to reach levels of suckage I'd never dreamed of in this game.
I'm just going to enjoy it for what it is, a flawed representation of golf. I got to witness a real life 66 shot Sunday by a guy in our club championship. Guy is a +1 but still it's a rare feat that is a weekly occurrence in this game.

Just curious if we have these stats for our society?

The current PGA Leaders in fairways hit is 76.01% what is ours?
PGA GIR leader is 72.93% what is ours?

I could go on for days about putting but to simplify it. PGA Pro's make on average 50% of their 8 foot putts, 20% of their 16 foot putts.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:I'm beginning to reach levels of suckage I'd never dreamed of in this game.
I'm just going to enjoy it for what it is, a flawed representation of golf. I got to witness a real life 66 shot Sunday by a guy in our club championship. Guy is a +1 but still it's a rare feat that is a weekly occurrence in this game.

Just curious if we have these stats for our society?

The current PGA Leaders in fairways hit is 76.01% what is ours?
PGA GIR leader is 72.93% what is ours?

I could go on for days about putting but to simplify it. PGA Pro's make on average 50% of their 8 foot putts, 20% of their 16 foot putts.
As flawed as this game is at representing golf, I must confess that my skills at it without my now decommissioned Elite controller are diminishing to the point where even with Pro clubs, I'm getting somewhat lifelike scoring results. I have trouble breaking par now on average courses with Master clubs, but it's happening mostly because my putting with the stock controller has gone into the tank.

The FIRs and GIRs can only be tracked for an individual golfer. Mine are currently like 81% and 82%, respectively, but they are currently declining. I'm sure the top flight golfers in this game have both numbers in the 90's.

I use to be able to criticize the ease of putting in this game, but without my Elite controller, I can no longer do that. I've been taking note of my number of 3-putt greens over my last six rounds played, and the fewest I've had in that span are 3, with the most being 7, in which 5 occurred on the front 9 8O

I've gotten into a pattern that repeats itself all too often (and I'd be surprised if others don't experience this). I face a downhill, right to left breaking putt on a fast, firm green. I underplay the break and the ball skirts the lower edge of the cup. I've also hit the ball a wee bit too hard and it rolls 6 to 10 feet past the hole, leaving me an uphill, left to right comebacker. Ninety percent of the time, I overplay the break coming back, missing on the high side, yet I'm still past the hole, usually facing a knee-knocking 3 to 5 foot bogey putt. This cycle happened for me last night in my DSP round on three consecutive holes... it was a like watching a re-run!

I still enjoy the game as much as ever, even though I'm not scoring well. I'm trying to hold off buying another Elite controller because I've got my eyes on and Elite 2. I just don't know how much longer I can endure the frustration of playing TGC 2019 without one.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I know only four of us played the Daily at Sandyhurst Lakes yesterday, but I wanted to see how those who did play it liked it. I gave it five stars and a favorite, even though it sort of kicked my arse off the back tees. I forgot the designer had suggested that Master clubs should be used if you are playing this course off the back tees (as we were yesterday), because there are likely 3 par 4 holes where you wouldn't be able to reach the green in two with Pro clubs. I'd forgotten that until I played the course and I had also forgotten to change back from Pro to Masters as I have been doing for everything but TGC Tours tourament rounds over the last two weeks.

Well, Antiparosjez was right, I came up short on all three of them, but I was actually on the green of the last one... for a while - the ball encountered a tier slope that was enough to carry it back down to the fringe.

That was a great looking course and played really good, IMO. All of our scores looked reasonable. I'd like to play it again with Master clubs in competition. I may set another event there later in our current season, and remind everyone that Master clubs may be more suitable if anyone is interested.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

I did enjoy the course. Very nice looking course that played tough. I was surprised to see such long par 4s but now it makes sense. Again I could do without the fast greens, but overall a good course.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Was right behind 17 flag today in the Skybox at the BMW. What a great way to spend a Thursday even if very few guys went after the pin.
Follow Me on:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Enjoyed this Lidar version of the BMW Championships. Hole #17 just pretty much owned every single round and robbed me of any decent scoring as I just didn’t have the right club to suit that particular hole. Fell for a swim by inches on all but one round a few times and was just too long for the other trying to correct my previous shortages with a +12mph wind.

On par 5s, I would miss any chances of chasing any birdies as my ball trajectory would sink into the deep roughs.

A fair yet challenging course, made easy by Vader. Well done.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

That was a Lidar version? I'm sorry I played this course several times the greens are not contoured like that so shots roll away from the center and off the green at least not to the extent they did in this version. It was also pretty dull without the grandstands but I stopped after my 2nd round because the greens in no way were like the real life greens.

Slowly losing interests in this game, apparently no new version this year?
Follow Me on:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

It may have been called a LiDAR version of Medinah, but only on a few holes would I have thought I was at Medinah. I don't think TGC 2019's over saturated Harvest theme helped the look of the course, when most of us are conditioned to seeing it in summer.

I played and scored the worst I've played in months in this one, but I thought I might have more fun playing with Master clubs than Pro clubs. I really wasn't competing with Pro clubs much any more, but I certainly hadn't embarrassed myself scoring wise with Master clubs as badly as I did in this one.

I hate to confess this, but my performance in this game is much more reliant on the quality of my controller than I'd have imagined. I cannot maintain solid tempo, and I damn sure can't modulate my putt strength reasonably without my Elite controller. It now feels like I'm playing a different game :oops: :?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

J_Cauthen wrote: I hate to confess this, but my performance in this game is much more reliant on the quality of my controller than I'd have imagined. I cannot maintain solid tempo, and I damn sure can't modulate my putt strength reasonably without my Elite controller. It now feels like I'm playing a different game :oops: :?
I've said this since day 1. The Elite controller is a game changer for this game. Imagine the new Elite with it's new features, the scores might go into the low 50's per round.
Follow Me on:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Something rash has happened with the deletion of Augusta National name and course file in TGC 2019, and the censoring of the name "Magnolia" in any course name. I can still play Magnolia National because it's in my favorites, but it comes up as ******** National (Tour) when I play it. Those searching for it who do not have it cannot find it or play it.

It has the earmarks of a Cease & Desist order from Augusta National Golf Club? If so, do you think that ANGC would have gone so far as to name "Magnolia National" in their threat, even though it doesn't carry the Augusta National name? I'm just wondering if HBS maybe went a little overboard with their censoring of the Magnolia in Magnolia National, since it is such a faithful rendition of the course? This has created a ****-storm in the Golf Club official forum, I know that!

The suspicion a few have on the TGC Tours forum is that a user tweeted about an update to Royce's "Augusta National" course three days ago, on his Tweet homepage, and "@'ed" it to "themasters" Twitterpage. Apparently the wrong set of eyes saw it there and nature took its course. If Magnolia National or Magnolia National (Tour) was in your favorites list, or is listed among your "Friends Favorites" list, you can still play the course, but it will show up as "******** National (Tour)" on your screen. If you don't have it in either of those places, searching won't find or produce it.

I did find out that theclv24, the guy who created the wonderfully rendered Magnolia National and (Tour) has just released a LiDAR version of Augusta National and has titled it "Firethorn National". It's fantastic as I just played it this afternoon. It might be worth a play if you want to preserve it. No telling whether HBS is going to go after it or not.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Wow, crazy. That reminds me of how strict Daytona was back in the 90's going after any racing sim mod free or otherwise that was named or looked anything like Daytona. Of course that was back when Sega owned the rights to it, so it kind of made sense.

So is this "Firethorn National" the course to get now if you want to play the best version of the course that shall not be named? Thanks for the heads up on this.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

DChaps wrote:Wow, crazy. That reminds me of how strict Daytona was back in the 90's going after any racing sim mod free or otherwise that was named or looked anything like Daytona. Of course that was back when Sega owned the rights to it, so it kind of made sense.

So is this "Firethorn National" the course to get now if you want to play the best version of the course that shall not be named? Thanks for the heads up on this.
Still no official response from HB Studios as to what drove all of this, but they're still in damage control mode, I suspect. Since my previous post, I've learned that the user's Tweet who was touting Royce's latest "Augusta National '19 Pins", was retweeted by ProTee United, a simulator manufacturer who uses The Golf Club 2019 for their product.

I'm sure that once Augusta National saw a big time golf simulator manufacturer using their course name to promote and profit from their copyrighted course, they set the legal recourse action into motion.

Firethorn National is indeed the course you want to add to your collection if you want to play Augusta National. It's ridiculously fast using the default settings, but if you cut the green speed back to medium, it provides a reasonably and fair challenge, IMO.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Could I ask anyone who is not a member of HB Studios The Golf Club forum to see if they can get in to view the forum? Here's a link: http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php

I'm asking this because I've read reports from two non members of the forum not being able to view it, one of them saying the user was "banned", even though they're not a registered member? I'm just wondering if this is another overreaction to what happened with Augusta National/Magnolia National gate?

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

No issue for me to get in

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

JOZ wrote:No issue for me to get in
Thanks Joz... I had my son, who doesn't play golf games or visit golf forums, let along register with them, try it on his computer. He was able to get in also.

Here's the deal I'm trying to investigate... the two people who can't get in, even as "guests" to view The Golf Club forum, are members of the Perfect Golf forum, and they've been taking part in a discussion of TGC 2019 in the off topic section there. They were able to view the forum last night, but one gets a "banned" message when he tries to view it this morning and the other said he can't get into the site now. I've asked him to see if he shows a status of "banned" as well. How can you "ban" someone who's not a registered member!?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

LOL, nerd golf game drama.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

dbdynsty25 wrote:LOL, nerd golf game drama.
That's a good way to characterize it! 8) :lol: