Codemasters F1 2019

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Codemasters F1 2019

Post by Rodster »

UFO Helicopters :)

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Those choppers much create their own inertia canceling gravitational fields to be able to move like that. Otherwise, the pilots would be turned into goo by the G-forces! Seriously, that's not a good look for the game 8O

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

I have not experienced the FFB loss on Xbox One X as of yet, but I will know tonight. I plan to run at least 10 laps of Time Trials at Hungary with each car for 2019 starting with Williams and working my way up to Mercedes. If the FFB loss is going to happen, I would think I would experience it during this test. It should also give me a good feel for if the differences between the various cars can be felt in the driving model/physics as opposed to just being slower/faster in lap times. This may be the best version of F1 to date by Codemasters, but I do need to spend more time with it before making that a definitive statement. (F1 2013 on 360 still holds that title for now). Not sure if it is yet worth the Day 1 Legends purchase, but I am enjoying it so far. Not sure what time I will start, but I may stream my TT attempt on my Mixer channel for anyone that is super bored or super medicated. :)

https://mixer.com/dchaps66

PS - Anyone have good recommendation for a decent, but not too expensive blue tooth wireless headset that will work with Xbox One X without any special dongles/connectors and provides good mic for streaming? Thanks!

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Not sure how "good" they are, but I have Turtle Beach Stealth 700s just sitting in a box. It connects directly to the console (not sure many other headsets do), so no Dongle necessary. If I can find them, I can send them to you, Don.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Rodster wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:Did you by chance try the F2 cars? I'm reading some positive feedback on that, which I find more appealing than F1 from a driving feel standpoint anyway.
Yes I did and as I noted, they at least to me drive no different than the 2018/2019/1970's/1980's/1990's Formula 1 cars, I tried most of them. At least that's the impression I got and I came to that conclusion because I did not have to change my driving style one bit driving any of those cars. You may come to a different conclusion but it felt like a cut and paste physics job to me.
I satisfied myself that they all drove differently, though you'll note immediately that there's a difference between "I satisfied myself of this" and "this is true". Still, let's examine in detail anyway.

The F2 cars have less grip generally, much less front aero and require a completely different approach to your corner entry. This is because a) you absolutely cannot afford to lock an inside front - the front end is never coming back to you if you do - and b) you're going to lock an inside front. They sound glorious, they race brilliantly, they're proper pieces of kit, but if you drive them exactly as you drive the F1 cars, they shouldn't deliver the lap time they're capable of.

By the same token, you should be finding that something like the Ferrari F2004 (short wheelbase, light weight, glorious V10, traction control) is a much more nimble beast than a modern F1 car (none of the above). Run them back-to-back at Paul Ricard and you'll hopefully see how much more willing the F2004 is to change direction through the switchbacks early in the lap. I say "hopefully" because I really don't want to have dreamed all of that.

Viewed as an overall package, I'd be quite happy to endorse any suggestion that F1 2019 is the best Codemasters effort to date, which does nothing to explain why I sold it. Here's the thing: the AI is brilliant, the sound is convincing, the official graphics are like drinking Dr Pepper for the first time after 10 years of being told that Dr Thunder is the same thing...but I've done this before. I don't have the appetite to do those practice programmes again, nor those interviews, nor telling Jeff to shut up again. I thought the new driver transfers might help to hold my interest but to find out, I'd need to play it for long enough to get that far, which I didn't.

F1 2019 is better than its predecessor. It is very, very good at what it does. I've grown a bit bored of what it does.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Like I said, when I drove the different cars regardless of year, I found I didn’t have to change my driving style or compensate in any way because of changes in grip. They felt, pretty much the same to me. Granted i’m using a controller and not a wheel setup. The AI is pretty good for a Codemaster’s game but I still love the AI in Grand Prix 4.

Again these are all my impressions after spending a few hours with the game. As I previously mentioned you guys may feel differently.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

We may. However...

What I would say is that there's not enough difference between the modern stuff and the older classic cars in particular. I'm on PS4 using a controller and maybe a wheel user would have a different experience, but say I wanted to drive the Lotus 72 like Ronnie Peterson, all power-on oversteer and opposite lock. I can't.

I can't drive it like the modern car either, because the downforce isn't there and so my approach has to change, but there are things the physics engine will not let me do even though the car could be driven that way in period. I'm not expecting the 1996 Williams to drift everywhere (it should understeer, which it does, and it should be a bit ponderous compared to the modern cars, which it is - I'm fine with that) but I would quite like it if I could steer the 70s cars on the throttle.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

GB_Simo wrote:We may. However...

What I would say is that there's not enough difference between the modern stuff and the older classic cars in particular. I'm on PS4 using a controller and maybe a wheel user would have a different experience, but say I wanted to drive the Lotus 72 like Ronnie Peterson, all power-on oversteer and opposite lock. I can't.

I can't drive it like the modern car either, because the downforce isn't there and so my approach has to change, but there are things the physics engine will not let me do even though the car could be driven that way in period. I'm not expecting the 1996 Williams to drift everywhere (it should understeer, which it does, and it should be a bit ponderous compared to the modern cars, which it is - I'm fine with that) but I would quite like it if I could steer the 70s cars on the throttle.
On a last minute impulse, I bought it before the XBox Gold price of $41.99 ended. I've played it for about an hour, and I can say I'm already more pleased with it - at least offline - than I was with F1 2018. I didn't make a ton of changes to the force feedback, plus the feedback variables they've allowed you to change are a bit different from 2018, but even my first guess at them produced more satisfying effects, IMO.

I was also more pleased with the AI, for reasons I can't fully put my finger on. I set the AI at 46% with slightly passive aggression and that seems to be a good fit, so far, for someone of my less than average racing skills. I don't know that I could tell that much of a difference in the graphics, but the animation seemed to be more consistent and fluid.

I haven't spent enough time to unravel it yet, but so far I'm happy with it. I just hope they eventually get the force feedback issues worked out for online racing.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

The 1.07 patch was released this morning for both the PS4 and XBox One. I did two Grand Prix season (using the 1976 Ferrari 312 T2 ) races at 25%, with the AI set to 46%. I qualified 13th in the first one and got off to a slow start and wound up 15th. The second race I qualified 17th, climbed to 15th, fell back to 17th and raced in a pack of four cars (14th through 17th) for the majority of the race, managing only to temporarily pass the 16th place car, only to get squeezed out in the next turn. I finally made a pass with a half lap to go when the 16th place car got too much kerb trying to pass the 15th place car. He lost momentum and I managed to complete the pass and maintain it, although he had another go at me coming off the last turn!

I'm finding the AI in this game to be incredibly lifelike. It was like the other drivers were playing a very calculated game of chicken with me, while not crossing the line and being unsporting. This is easily the most captivating F1 game I've played, although I've probably only played maybe a third of those in this series. For some reason, I sat them out from 15 to 17, picking up 18 only after it was placed on Game Pass.

I've been able to get distinctive feel on the Classic and F2 cars via the force-feedback, which I find more realistic than that of F1 2018. I'll be tweaking the wheel settings for months to come probably before I get them dialed in, as the 1976 Ferrari 312 T2, the F2, and the F1 cars each call for unique adjustments to their force feedback and wheel calibration to make them feel right to me. Overall, I'm very satisfied with this game and have no regrets about picking it up at $42! :D

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Late to the party on this one, but what a great game. I don't even LIKE F1 games, typically, but I've been playing every racing game under the sun recently just to put a shiny new wheel through its paces. On PC in triple screen mode, this game is glorious. Like John, I'm finding the AI in games lately (first Heat, then this one, as far as the order I played them in) to be taking huge leaps forward.

I've traditionally struggled with F1 games--they're the complete antithesis of how I like to drive. I like to find a solid brake point, roll into the corner, apply throttle smoothly at the apex and go. Everything needs to be smooth and methodical. With F1 cars, it's always felt like I had to be in complete attack mode. Charge the corner, make the downforce work for me, aggressively pitching the car to and fro. Sad fact...I've never played F1 games on anything but Automatic Transmission, with ABS and TCS enabled, with the little driving line set to "corners" mode, and from TV Pod camera. Anything else felt just overwhelmingly frustrating.

This is the first time I've really taken the time to disable all the assists, go into cockpit mode (but F that Halo....I know I can disable it, but I've left it on. What an annoying thing for a driver!!), and really work on learning the cars. To me, every car I've driven has felt distinct. A Williams car felt more slippery than the Alfa Romeo (what?? since when was Alfa Romeo a team?!?!), and the BMW cars are on rails.

One of the biggest struggles I've had is finding a "sweet spot" for AI difficulty. I get that this isn't like NASCAR, where teams SHOULD BE all the same. So finding an AI percentage that gives me the correct level of challenge for the team I'm driving has been tough. I'll find what feels like a decent percentage, and then find I'm qualifying 7th in a Williams. That's not good. Go back and change it to 10% higher, then I'm 1.5 seconds off the pace of the 19th place car.

In the end, I think about 82% seems to be where I can run near to where the team should be, and I get some competitive races for mid-to-rear pack in a Williams. But how brilliant are their Practice Programmes? I know this has been around for years, but it feels like if I run the full practice sessions before a race, I don't get sick of the track...somehow. I'm running dozens of laps around a circuit that all feel different since my approach is different. Saving tires these laps, working on energy efficiency in others. Testing setups in other runs. It works amazingly well in preparing you for a race and all the scenarios that come at you. When a faster AI car comes up on me, I can generally try to follow them and spot where I'm screwing things up.

I think I've learned more about driving F1 cars in the past week than I had in the past 20 years, just because the game is so good at making information available, and understandable.

I probably wouldn't notice the minute differences between games, but this one sure is great when you haven't put any time into the series in the past.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Nice recap, Terry. Glad you're onboard. Codemasters continues to move from strength to strength with the F1 series.

I'm in no hurry to pay for F1 2020 since I'm still having a ton of fun with F1 2019 on GamePass. Phenomenal game with so much depth and nuance.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

PK, elsewhere wrote:F1 2019 free this weekend on Xbox Free Play
In addition to this slice of excellence, PS4 owners will now find that they can download a free trial from the game's page on the PS Store. From my brief look at it, what you're getting in the trial is the entire F2 portion of Career mode and then, I imagine, a race or two from the F1 section.

If you haven't tried F1 2019 yet - and particularly if you haven't tried any of its recent predecessors - you really ought do so now.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'm not sure what to think of F1 2019 after a brief trial. The Codies may have screwed the pooch in this edition for me.

With past Codies' F1 games, I always have used medium traction control. Past Codies' games have been very tough to control with a controller and no traction control -- you need the index finger precision of a concert guitarist to maintain traction. The medium traction control provided a nice middle ground for me -- good grip if I accelerated smoothly, but the car still would get out of shape if I pounded the trigger.

It's different this year. No traction control still puts the car on a knife edge, even on straightaway acceleration. It's too touchy for my aging reflexes and a controller. But with medium traction control, the car in F1 2019 seems just as planted as the high level of traction control in previous Codies' F1 games.

The cars are just too damn easy to drive with medium traction control and too tough with no traction control. A low setting is needed. There seems to be no middle ground this year, and that sucks.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

pk500 wrote:I'm not sure what to think of F1 2019 after a brief trial. The Codies may have screwed the pooch in this edition for me.

With past Codies' F1 games, I always have used medium traction control. Past Codies' games have been very tough to control with a controller and no traction control -- you need the index finger precision of a concert guitarist to maintain traction. The medium traction control provided a nice middle ground for me -- good grip if I accelerated smoothly, but the car still would get out of shape if I pounded the trigger.

It's different this year. No traction control still puts the car on a knife edge, even on straightaway acceleration. It's too touchy for my aging reflexes and a controller. But with medium traction control, the car in F1 2019 seems just as planted as the high level of traction control in previous Codies' F1 games.

The cars are just too damn easy to drive with medium traction control and too tough with no traction control. A low setting is needed. There seems to be no middle ground this year, and that sucks.
Hmmm... I'll have to try it with a controller to see how it feels. I've got a Thrustmaster TX wheel and T3PA pedals, and I have traction control totally off, but yeah, even at that it's very touchy with the wheel. Have you read others offering the same thoughts on the traction control options with the controller? If so that might be something you can lobby for with the developers.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

J_Cauthen wrote:Hmmm... I'll have to try it with a controller to see how it feels. I've got a Thrustmaster TX wheel and T3PA pedals, and I have traction control totally off, but yeah, even at that it's very touchy with the wheel. Have you read others offering the same thoughts on the traction control options with the controller? If so that might be something you can lobby for with the developers.
Thanks, John. No contact with devs, as the free play is over. I didn't feel enough of an improvement in F1 2019 from 2018 to justify buying the new game, even at the discounted price of $33.

I could care less about the addition of F2. And I wasn't happy with the excessive grip offered by medium traction control. About the only thing I liked more in this year's game was the tire lockup under excessive braking. I do not use ABS.

Otherwise, this game will need to dip to $25 or less for me to consider it. Just not that much different from last year's other than F2.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

With a wheel, it's definitely not too easy to drive with the assists off, IMO. It's a great deal of fun, but I wouldn't chalk it up as the most realistic example. The cars still take way too long to stop and they're not "jittery" enough, if that makes sense, but I have a hell of a time every time I fire it up.

Doesn't help you with the controller, I know, but it might be the first time I can recall where a dev might have put the focus on wheel support, rather than gamepads.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

TCrouch wrote:Doesn't help you with the controller, I know, but it might be the first time I can recall where a dev might have put the focus on wheel support, rather than gamepads.
Ahem ... Slightly Mad Studios and Project Cars. Kunos Simulation and Assetto Corsa. Both are awful with gamepads and fine with wheels since they're almost straight ports of PC sims optimized for wheels.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

PCars didn't work very well with a wheel, either, FWIW. They did seem to patch it up after a few times, but I never had the crazy issues with it.

I guess most of my stuff lately has been with Nascar Heat, which has been trash with wheels but fine with Gamepads, and other games ported the other way.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

TCrouch wrote:PCars didn't work very well with a wheel, either, FWIW. They did seem to patch it up after a few times, but I never had the crazy issues with it.

I guess most of my stuff lately has been with Nascar Heat, which has been trash with wheels but fine with Gamepads, and other games ported the other way.
PCars 2 works pretty good with my Thrustmaster TX, on some cars, but varies from great to awful throughout the range of cars featured in the game. I've got the wheel tailored to the vintage Indy cars in the game because I find my best racing in the game comes with them. Those wheel settings don't carry over very well into the GT car classes, and I got tired of changing them, so I now stick to vintage Indy.

I also find the force feedback settings can be tuned more to my liking in F1 2019, than 18, which if it hadn't have been the case, I would say it would be a push as to whether I prefer 19 over 18. NASCAR HEAT 4 also has better force feedback and feel with the wheel than 2 (I skipped 3), even though I've got my force feedback strength set to a third of what I had it set to in 2. Those are just numbers though and the overall strength winds up feeling about the same, I can just feel much more nuance in the handling effects on 4, so much better than 2.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Finally decided to take the plunge on this one...so it should show up on Game Pass at any time now :lol:

I’ve only driven at Interlagos so far, first in an F2 and then a McLaren. What a difference—the F2 car felt much heavier and sensitive to hitting the right brake/throttle marks as a result. With TC set to medium it was a handful getting power down in the wet and still a challenge in low-speed corners in the dry.

In comparison the McLaren felt superglued to the track and much easier to push and get the power down.

Hopefully I’ll get a chance to try it out with a wheel this weekend, I found last year’s game to be the most enjoyable experience with my g920, especially compared to Forza.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

F1 2019 is $14.99 this week in the Xbox Store: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/f1-20 ... verviewtab

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

pk500 wrote:F1 2019 is $14.99 this week in the Xbox Store: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/f1-20 ... verviewtab
Damn I missed this!
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"