OT: Apple Tablet Tomorrow - Mgraw-Hill CEO soon to be dead

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Apple Tablet Tomorrow - Mgraw-Hill CEO soon to be de

Post by wco81 »

One kind of big change is that iPad Air 2 is suppose to have 2 GB of RAM instead of 1 GB for all other iOS devices.

So it would be more future proof and you might see less reloading of Safari tabs and various apps.

But yeah, if you bought last year's model, you wouldn't want to upgrade unless you really want that Touch ID and better camera.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

wco81 wrote:One kind of big change is that iPad Air 2 is suppose to have 2 GB of RAM instead of 1 GB for all other iOS devices.

So it would be more future proof and you might see less reloading of Safari tabs and various apps.

But yeah, if you bought last year's model, you wouldn't want to upgrade unless you really want that Touch ID and better camera.
It's quite a bit faster...and you're right, the reloading of tabs really annoyed the hell out of me and that's gone now. The new laminated screen is fantastic too...it's quite the update. Assuming I got a good one from a hardware standpoint.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

So far, so good for me too. I upgraded from a 4th generation iPad. One thing really stands out is how much lighter and thinner the Air 2 is.
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:All I am hearing is that if you have the Air one to wait for next year. But if you don't, then it maybe worth the update.
That is exactly what I'm doing. Very happy with the original iPad Air.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Diablo25 wrote:
10spro wrote:All I am hearing is that if you have the Air one to wait for next year. But if you don't, then it maybe worth the update.
That is exactly what I'm doing. Very happy with the original iPad Air.
That's all good advice and there are also reports about the battery being smaller (-15%), supposedly the Air has about 1-2 hrs more battery over the Air 2 and there are complaints over speaker vibration because of the thinness of the Air 2.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Replacement iPad Air 2 is all good. First one must have just been a lemon. Quite impressed w this thing that's for sure. Didn't know if I'd be able to go from retina mini to the bigger device but the clearer screen and significantly faster speed has convinced me. For now. Haha.

Bring on the Nexus 9 for the ultimate comparison.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Time for the battle of all battles:

HTC Nexus 9 and the iPad Air 2.

First impressions...the Nexus 9 is much easier to hold, even tho it's thicker and heavier. That's definitely a testament to the "thinner isn't always better". The texture on the back and the angled edges are much easier to hold/grip. Both are fast as hell...much faster than any other tablets on the market. I don't really think you can go wrong with either. Screen is slightly sharper on the N9 because of the higher ppi, but the viewing angles and "look" of the Air 2 are awesome with that zero gap technology.

They are priced fairly equally in terms of GB per $ so that really isn't a deciding factor. $479 for 32gb and $599 for 64gb respectively. I guess it depends if you need that extra 32gb (I personally don't).

I just wish the LTE version had come out right away...now I've gotta decide if I still need LTE if I keep the N9 over the Air 2. If so, I have to return the Wifi one I got for an LTE when it's released.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Just got my 30th Anniversary present from the love of my life. Gave her my 3rd Gen AT&T 64 Gb iPad and she got me a 128 GB AT&T Air 2 using 85,000 United Mileage Plus Miles. No worries, she got a 3.5 carat update / new wedding band. Long overdue.

Love everything about the lates iPad, especially all the storage. Ver fast and nice to look at. Interested to see how WORLD GOLF TOUR Mobile will play on this. And looking forward to the new PGA TOUR app for iPad as well as you can follow any group playing along with Shot Link data for each player and shot in each group.......

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

DivotMaker wrote:Just got my 30th Anniversary present from the love of my life. Gave her my 3rd Gen AT&T 64 Gb iPad and she got me a 128 GB AT&T Air 2 using 85,000 United Mileage Plus Miles. No worries, she got a 3.5 carat update / new wedding band. Long overdue.

Love everything about the lates iPad, especially all the storage. Ver fast and nice to look at. Interested to see how WORLD GOLF TOUR Mobile will play on this. And looking forward to the new PGA TOUR app for iPad as well as you can follow any group playing along with Shot Link data for each player and shot in each group.......
Congrats on the Anniversary and don't forget to update the latest 8.4 version that includes Apple Music. I am still using the original ipad Air, and still working wonders.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:Just got my 30th Anniversary present from the love of my life. Gave her my 3rd Gen AT&T 64 Gb iPad and she got me a 128 GB AT&T Air 2 using 85,000 United Mileage Plus Miles. No worries, she got a 3.5 carat update / new wedding band. Long overdue.

Congrats on the Anniversary and don't forget to update the latest 8.4 version that includes Apple Music. I am still using the original ipad Air, and still working wonders.
I have the (I think) 3rd gen iPad...the one right before the iPad Air...and it's still running great. I use it more than any device I have.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Thanks fellas, will do,

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

iOS 13 Beta is a disaster on the iPad btw...don't do it if you don't NEED something like remote PS4 play w/ bluetooth controllers.

The whole OS is slower and a lot buggier, especially when paired with the apple keyboard cover. Seems like tons of jankiness and random pop up bars for no reason. I'm the first to say, well it's a beta, but I expected more from Apple I guess. Lot of little easy things that shouldn't be issues in a mature product. Smh.

So you're better off waiting for the stable release. IMO.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Apple's software has become sh*ttier and less stable with almost every release. Apple is focusing more on "features" than stability, and it's showing.

It was pretty telling that Apple focused hard on promoting the stability of iOS 12 upon release, a tacit admission that iOS 10 and 11 were buggy messes.

It's almost become cliche to say this, but I think it's true: Apple's legendary attention to detail and creativity both have slipped under Tim Cook's leadership. I don't think you'd see nearly as much buggy crap coming from Cupertino if Jobs was still alive.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:Apple's software has become sh*ttier and less stable with almost every release. Apple is focusing more on "features" than stability, and it's showing.

It was pretty telling that Apple focused hard on promoting the stability of iOS 12 upon release, a tacit admission that iOS 10 and 11 were buggy messes.

It's almost become cliche to say this, but I think it's true: Apple's legendary attention to detail and creativity both have slipped under Tim Cook's leadership. I don't think you'd see nearly as much buggy crap coming from Cupertino if Jobs was still alive.
Apple's software got shittier when fired Scott Forstall was fired and Jony Ive essentially took over starting with iOS 7. The good news is that Ive is leaving at the end of this year.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

dbdynsty25 wrote:iOS 13 Beta is a disaster on the iPad btw...don't do it if you don't NEED something like remote PS4 play w/ bluetooth controllers.

The whole OS is slower and a lot buggier, especially when paired with the apple keyboard cover. Seems like tons of jankiness and random pop up bars for no reason. I'm the first to say, well it's a beta, but I expected more from Apple I guess. Lot of little easy things that shouldn't be issues in a mature product. Smh.

So you're better off waiting for the stable release. IMO.
I'm not having a ton issues with it. My biggest issue is the hit on battery life (which has been an issue with every early beta). Played a couple games with the Xbox controller (GTA III and Real Racing 3). It was super cool. This will be great for business trips and such (esp once the xbox streaming app comes out).
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Its a beta alright. With Safari, you do get the lagginess on certain websites. Emails are not recognized that you read them all at times. Playing MLB last night, there’s a minor adjustment with the PS4 controller where you have to hit the buttons a half second earlier than on the console due to the slight lag where pitching with the meter is a bit more challenging.

Played 9 innings and I thought the battery life was not as bad as feared.

I wouldn’t download the Beta on my iphone but I will leave the ios13 on the iPad.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I haven't bothered with most of the special iPad features and gestures in the last couple of iOS releases.

I might be interested if they have proper mouse and keyboard support.

For instance, just doing longer forum posts, there's a big difference in effectiveness between an iPad and a regular computer.

I've certainly bought enough iPads over the years and probably will continue. I use them every day, throughout the day.

But I'm not giving up my computers any time soon.

It's great because now it has all these video and streaming apps and often the stream quality is better on an iPad than through a laptop connected to the website of the service which put out iPad apps.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Downgraded back to iOS12...just couldn’t take the bugginess of iPad OS13. I can see the potential, being more tablet oriented, but I’d rather deal with stable right now. Tons and tons of bugs in 13.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Downgraded back to iOS12...just couldn’t take the bugginess of iPad OS13. I can see the potential, being more tablet oriented, but I’d rather deal with stable right now. Tons and tons of bugs in 13.
FYI, Beta #2 out today.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Diablo25 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Downgraded back to iOS12...just couldn’t take the bugginess of iPad OS13. I can see the potential, being more tablet oriented, but I’d rather deal with stable right now. Tons and tons of bugs in 13.
FYI, Beta #2 out today.
Not touching it till full release. Burnt once by apple already.

I’ve been beta testing android software on multiple devices for years and never came across a worse beta. That was bad. So yeah, I’ll wait.