Monster Jam: Steel Titans

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Monster Jam: Steel Titans

Post by Teal »

I have a confession to make: I love Monster Jam. I've taken my boys a couple times when they were younger, and grew up watching Bigfoot do it's thing on TV. And so I'm also a sucker for the Monster Jam games. Most of the time I wind up FEELING like a sucker for buying them, because they haven't been good. Still, I found some enjoyment in them, and hope springs eternal. So when I saw that Rainbow Studios was taking the reins for this iteration, hope sprang anew. I've loved Rainbow's MX VS ATV series, and was optimistic that I might get a Monster Jam game that I finally didn't feel the need to explain as "oh, my kids wanted it". :lol:

I'm thoroughly pleased. Finally, the trucks have heft, physics, and all the stuff missing from previous MJ games. It certainly makes for a more challenging game, where tricks aren't canned, and the quirky nature of those trucks matters. There's a satisfying level of rumble feedback, and the gutteral growl of the engines is well represented.

There's a robust training area, which doubles as a typical Rainbow free ride area. You learn basics and advanced controls, tricks, and the like. Then there's career, which is pretty deep thus far. I'm still in the outdoor race segment, which is like rally cross for monster trucks. In quick race, I tried out the freestyle arena events, and it's really fun. You really have to think through your routine in order to get the big scores and keep your combo count going.

I'm really just starting to get into the game, but I love it. And at 40 bucks, it's a steal for what's there. I may be the only one who cares, but just in case anyone else was waiting for a good MJ game, I think the wait is over.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Monster Jam: Steel Titans

Post by DChaps »

Thanks so much for posting this. I have also been a Monster Truck fan since I was a kid, and I loved 1998's Monster Truck Madness 2 from Microsoft for the PC. It was actually a very good game, both in physics, reality, fun factor, etc. I have been looking for a Monster Truck game since then that wasn't just crap, and have not come across any, so much so that I did not even know anything about this game. Will definitely check it out. Thanks!

PS - If only someone would do a proper NHRA drag racing game. :)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Been watching some YouTube reviews and it seems most of the issues of the past are still there...I get that it’s an arcade game that is made for “kids” but some of the stuff is just bonkers over the top. I’d love to have a more realistic experience.

That said, the races that aren’t in the arena look awesome and probably worth the money right there, especially if the trucks have the rainbow studios feel to them. So might give it a shot anyway.

Glad to hear that someone is happier with it than past games. The other ones have been pretty crappy in nearly all aspects. My son will probably convince me this weekend once he sees it on the store. LOL.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Been watching some YouTube reviews and it seems most of the issues of the past are still there...I get that it’s an arcade game that is made for “kids” but some of the stuff is just bonkers over the top. I’d love to have a more realistic experience.

That said, the races that aren’t in the arena look awesome and probably worth the money right there, especially if the trucks have the rainbow studios feel to them. So might give it a shot anyway.

Glad to hear that someone is happier with it than past games. The other ones have been pretty crappy in nearly all aspects. My son will probably convince me this weekend once he sees it on the store. LOL.
Oh, it ain't a Sim by any stretch. And if I weren't so relieved that it's not like the last few in the ways I needed it to be different, I could probably pick at it. But it's fun. And it feels like a Rainbow game. And that's enough for me now.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Okay, I've progressed through three different career modes, and I have to say that this game bears no resemblance to the last two entries, and is better than all previous entries, IMO. And there's depth beyond the kid friendly stuff. You can turn on twin stick steering, which puts the front wheels on one stick and the rear in the other. Take about taking some getting used to! But it allows for more nuanced control. You can set it to manual transmission too, although it's just two forward gears and reverse. Still, it gives it a bit more of a sim feel.

Every so often I get some wonky physics, and the trucks get A LOT more air at times than is realistic, and I don't believe anyone has pulled off a triple front flip in one of these things...but I have. Lol. Even still, this game rocks. The destruction of the sheet metal is impressive, dangling and flopping around until it finally breaks off. Getting the hang of the two wheel challenges and stadium races isn't easy, and you have to weigh the improvements you make on the trucks to whatever it is you want it to do. Racing? You need speed and traction. But freestyle? You need more bounce in the tires and shocks, and more speed off the line. The free ride area gets bigger every time you pass a career mode, too. Just a lot to like here.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Okay okay...I bit. :)

Downloading now.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I haven't played it a lot, but it's DEFINITELY better than past MJ games. Thanks for being the guinea pig Teal...it's definitely a cool game and my son already loves it.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I haven't played it a lot, but it's DEFINITELY better than past MJ games. Thanks for being the guinea pig Teal...it's definitely a cool game and my son already loves it.
My pleasure...