Madden 20

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Madden 20

Post by MizzouRah »

I didn't have time to test the game via the beta, but I'm reading a lot of good game play impressions over at OS.

I'm in my 7th season CFM with Madden 19 (2024) and still love playing it so M20 will be a first day purchase.

Anyone here play the M20 beta and have thoughts?

For the first time, I'm really excited for the next Madden release! I'm playing with the Arizona Cardinals now (1 SB win, 1 SB loss) but with M20 I'll take over my favorite AFC team, the Buffalo Bills.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Madden 20

Post by TCrouch »

Played quite a bit of the beta over the weekend, yeah. Jury is out, because I loved the beta last year, and they took just about everything that I loved and changed it for release.

I didn't even know we could talk about it...was the NDA limited to just posting videos/screenshots?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

OS kind of broke the rules I think, I stopped following that thread and honestly didn't even try and get in the beta for the exact reason you said. We were both giddy as school girls after the beta and they f***ed it up. With Clint d*****bag in charge no chance this game isn't a f***. When I read we'll let mahomes throw against his body with no penalty i was like interest level 0%
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The continuing degradation of Madden is yet another great advertisement for EA Access. I didn't buy Madden for the first time last fall, didn't miss it and played it for a while on Access before realizing I didn't like Madden 19.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Well, at least there's a precedent for Mahomes doing that.

I will say I was pleasantly surprised by the superstar traits, even though most of them worked against me. Aaron Donald single-handedly put me into a 3rd-and-38. Sack, Sack, holding call by my RT trying to block him.

However, when he was lined up on my own superstar center, he wasn't AS disruptive. But he was still a handful.

Couldn't just run long-developing plays on 3rd and forever. Pressure was a real thing. However, if I was correct in my pre-snap, I hit massive plays (one 77 yard TD that was an over the top against a rolling combo coverage). Others failed miserably, because I had the look I wanted in the secondary, but I missed seeing the CB blitz. Another sack, another failed drive.

In the end, I loved it....but I loved it last year after the beta, too.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Precedent by doing it a couple of times? You know he will be invincible in Madden with this ability. All they want to do is cater to the superstars.

Clearly i didn't play the beta and our tastes are the same but I've been down this rabbit hole before. I'll wait for my Origin Premier copy on the PC to show up and see how it plays.

I read there is no longer a speed setting, the game has one speed and one speed only. Is that true?
Follow Me on:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

TCrouch wrote:Well, at least there's a precedent for Mahomes doing that.

I will say I was pleasantly surprised by the superstar traits, even though most of them worked against me. Aaron Donald single-handedly put me into a 3rd-and-38. Sack, Sack, holding call by my RT trying to block him.

However, when he was lined up on my own superstar center, he wasn't AS disruptive. But he was still a handful.

Couldn't just run long-developing plays on 3rd and forever. Pressure was a real thing. However, if I was correct in my pre-snap, I hit massive plays (one 77 yard TD that was an over the top against a rolling combo coverage). Others failed miserably, because I had the look I wanted in the secondary, but I missed seeing the CB blitz. Another sack, another failed drive.

In the end, I loved it....but I loved it last year after the beta, too.
I'm sure EA will cater to the whiners who won't like a real pass rush and other things.. but hopefully that mindset changes for M20. I've played over 100 games in my franchise with M19 and I was happy to hear things like passing trajectories improved, no more robo LB's swatting balls down, much better pass rush, cpu running game more dynamic, etc.. (if only they could get penalties right)

Glad to know the ss traits seem to actually have balance and add another fun factor layer to the game. As far as franchise mode, I was more about actual game play improvements than I was with any off field stuff as I find the pacing perfect as far as the mode goes. Would like to see some trade offers from the cpu teams, a deeper halftime show, more commentary - especially when you have mostly rookies playing after several seasons.

There are some videos I watched and the lighting seems improved as well. Some stadiums, even on my 4k TV with Xb1x, were too dark at times.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Interesting from this OS article.
Franchise Mode
Sigh.

Perhaps the biggest question to me with the Madden 20 beta is if the developers knew that franchise mode was so similar to last year’s mode and they hadn’t done all that much to improve it, then why bother showcasing franchise mode to people at all? It would be understandable if they were excited about giving people a sneak peek at the significant upgrades or even just some substantial cosmetic changes, but it can’t help but be disappointing then to find that nearly everything looks and feels exactly the same.

Of course, last year it seemed like the biggest alteration was the novelty of seeing your coach or owner sitting in his office (at a desk, no less! How exciting!), so perhaps it was a little naive to expect too drastic an overhaul to a franchise mode that’s received only minor tweaks in recent years. However, it would at least be nice to feel like you’re playing a different game instead of the same one from last year.
Disappointing for sure.
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:The continuing degradation of Madden is yet another great advertisement for EA Access. I didn't buy Madden for the first time last fall, didn't miss it and played it for a while on Access before realizing I didn't like Madden 19.
Yup, same here. Last year was the 1st time since Madden 97 I didn't bother buying or playing it.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

MizzouRah wrote:Glad to know the ss traits seem to actually have balance and add another fun factor layer to the game.
This is not what I am reading at all. First why do you have to "charge" up a superstar trait? Isn't Aaron Rodgers a Superstar the second he walks on the field?

I also read that some players like Donald once on a roll are unstoppable. Their ss trait triggers and he is unblock able getting sacks and causing his ss trait to keep firing.

I like the better pass rush I'm reading about a more fluid movement but some of this stuff is one wrong "balancing" tweak from making the game s***.
Follow Me on:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Danimal wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:Glad to know the ss traits seem to actually have balance and add another fun factor layer to the game.
This is not what I am reading at all. First why do you have to "charge" up a superstar trait? Isn't Aaron Rodgers a Superstar the second he walks on the field?

I also read that some players like Donald once on a roll are unstoppable. Their ss trait triggers and he is unblock able getting sacks and causing his ss trait to keep firing.

I like the better pass rush I'm reading about a more fluid movement but some of this stuff is one wrong "balancing" tweak from making the game s***.
Yikes.. I haven't read all the impressions but that would stink if that's the case.

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

Isn't Aaron Rodgers a Superstar the second he walks on the field?

No, actually for most of last year, he was not.....
Currently Playing: Battlefield V, American Fugitive, Madden NFL 19, Golf Club 2019

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Honestly, I just want a new NFL Blitz. Or some other less arcady but still somewhat simplified football game. I'm tired of the finger Olympics, having to worry about minuta. Just give me a next gen Tecmo Super Bowl or College Football. Haven't played a minute of EA football since they quit making NCAA. Just don't care anymore.
Same really goes for basketball. I play more NBA Playgrounds 2 than Live or 2k. But I'd rather have an updated NBA Run n Gun. Maybe Metalhead can do a Super Mega football and basketball... :D
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Looks like the EA Access trial is up. I am downloading now.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Teal wrote:Honestly, I just want a new NFL Blitz. Or some other less arcady but still somewhat simplified football game. I'm tired of the finger Olympics, having to worry about minuta. Just give me a next gen Tecmo Super Bowl or College Football. Haven't played a minute of EA football since they quit making NCAA. Just don't care anymore.
Same really goes for basketball. I play more NBA Playgrounds 2 than Live or 2k. But I'd rather have an updated NBA Run n Gun. Maybe Metalhead can do a Super Mega football and basketball... :D
My favorite and most fun Basketball game has to be NBA Jam on the X360.

"He put the boom in the shakalaka" :)

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yeah, full game is out on PC. It's the one thing I love about Origin Access Premier vs. EA Access on console. There's no trial, it just unlocks the "Ultimate Superstar" edition on the same day. Can't wait to get home and play.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Game won’t start. Looks like EA Access site/servers are down. Getting a message that I don’t have an account.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Been playing it all day on the PC with no problem
Follow Me on:

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Played it for about 20 minutes. It's good and all, but it just feels way too early for football. Besides the X factor implementation, there's not a whole lot new from the initial eye test. I think my 10 hour trial is going to last a loooong time.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I played the 5 minute Pro Bowl yesterday on intermediate, once the download had reached that point. I haven't been a big fan of the Madden game over the last few years, but this one actually had some appeal for me. I'm like Teal though, in that I don't like all the button mashing intricacies it takes to really be proficient at the game, but somehow this one got through some of that. The players really feel like they've got a 3D mass and are properly affected by inertia. I still don't like it as much as NCAA 2014, which I still play on my 360, but I might at least play a regular season with it this year with my Panthers.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I had an absolute blast, but I'll wait for more than a handful of games to really form an opinion.

I know Dan and I played some co-op MUT challenges against the CPU last night, which was absolutely awesome. I'd call a play and be QB, and he'd be the RB or pick a WR and we'd have to execute....something. It wasn't always how the play was drawn up, but having to have solid timing to beat the defense and get the scoring pass or something was great.

In straight up games, we had all sorts of results. Raiders vs. Bears was a massacre (apparently nobody in his secondary can cover Antonio Brown, and Mack can't get to me if I get rid of the ball in under 3 seconds every time) so we killed it at halftime, but then the very next game was flipped. I had no idea how to operate the Bills' offense against the Broncos' pass rushing duo of Von Miller and Bradley Chubb. Every throw I tried with Josh Allen was 5 yards off target and intercepted. We killed that one at halftime again with him up huge.

Then our MUT squads faced off, and this was pretty close, but his version of Tom Brady was trash again, while my Derek Carr could at least complete passes with regularity. The fact that they let you run challenge after challenge without returning to the menu and the game plays so much faster now (call a play and you're at the line, instead of breaking the huddle) makes it feel much speedier.

Gameplay wise, I think they really tightened up Real Player Motion, because I can't remember missing ONE open-field tackle last night. I'd get to the area, strafe to square up, and never ended up with the defender going somewhere I didn't want. In coverage I could squat on a route, release him and get back to defend a deeper lane, nabbing 2 or 3 "user lurk" interceptions in those games.

And I think they finally got one universal truth from the NFL incorporated into the game--if you don't have a quarterback, AND don't have somebody to affect the quarterback, you're going to have a long day. Totally loved it so far, but with all Maddens, the warts don't REALLY show until 20+ games and you start to see patterns that you hoped were anomalies early on.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Someone got me addicted to MUT so I haven't played enough games to get an opinion. What I have played is really good and tight. Removing the game speed setting I was not a fan of but it almost eliminates entirely wonky animations.

Pass pressure is great, throwing trajectories are great etc. Over all in the last 2 years Madden has made more strides than any sport game from a game play stand point. If you're not a football guy then I get how it looks the same, just like the Show has been the same game for the last 4 or 5 years to me.

Different strokes for different folks.
Follow Me on:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

...the Von Miller spin move 8O

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

RPO’s are a game changer for me.
-BK

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

After a dozen full games or so (and I mean FULL games....15 minute quarters, 10 second runoff, still takes less than an hour now), I absolutely love what they did with the player control. Instead of doing pirouettes trying to get my user-controlled LB into the proper location while playing defense, I feel like I can absolutely LOCK DOWN my area of the field (or, while running the ball, hit the precise lane I want or juke a charging safety at the last second, but I'm going to focus on defense in this post).

I'll try to keep this semi-short (not likely), but backstory: for years, I felt I could play LB or Safety and do whatever I wanted. The control was flawless, where I could bait both human and CPU QBs into doing things I wanted them to see, and then make them pay for it. Somewhere (a few Maddens ago), that went away, and I couldn't user for crap anymore. I couldn't come to grips with the animation style or what. I'd know what I'd want to do, but I couldn't get there or I'd overrun plays trying to shift between a burst and strafe. It got to be where I'd rather just play games doing offense only, because defense wasn't much fun for me. It felt like whatever I did, even if I made a perfect play call, I'd manage to screw it up with my user. And I couldn't win on the DL, either, so I was just a passive bystander on D. This year, that is completely gone, restoring my faith in my ability to play defense.

While it's not QUITE at that "early years" level since the QB throwing trajectories are fixed, I feel in complete control of my player all the time. No more weird ice-skating small movement "circle" trying to turn and run. He'll plant a foot and cut the direction I need him to cut.

This means I can man the middle, keep an eye on the RB in the flat, and the instant the QB turns his feet and cocks his arm, I'm breaking at the RB like a missile. It leads to a ton of -2 yard gains/No gain/1 or 2 yard gain plays. When there are short completions, I can easily make the tackle by squaring up and using A to drop them. I don't think I've missed more than a handful of open field tackles in all of those games combined, and my user-controlled LBs routinely get anywhere from 12 to 20 total tackles per game. Finally, I have tackling machines that are up for "Best LB" rewards, and XP gains for development.

Pass rushers actually do some work, and you can really confuse younger QBs by calling all of those weird zone blitzes you'd never do in previous versions of Madden (everybody except the LE rushing, and that LE dropping back into a hook zone? That's a nightmare before, but really seems to confuse lower-AWR QBs in Madden 20).

All in all, I've had an absolute BLAST playing both sides of the ball so far this year. I played 8 or 9 games in Exhibition before starting on my franchise, and only finished the preseason games in their totality. I'll start the regular season tonight, but so far I'm WAY more into this version of Madden than I have been for the past 4 or 5 versions.