Codemasters F1 2019

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Codemasters F1 2019

Post by Rodster »

So it looks like Codemasters decided to move up the game from it's usual September release to June of this year. It appears they are including the F2 feeder series in this years game.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... first-time

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Codemasters F1 2019

Post by pk500 »

All good additions. I would like to see classic tracks added to the lineup of classic cars, even if it's a DLC pack.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

I’ve really enjoyed F1 2016-2018. All 3 games have been great.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

F1 2019 is Codemasters’ Most Authentic Formula 1 Game Yet

Full Impressions here: --> https://www.fullthrottlemedia.co.uk/art ... 19-preview

"This week, I had the opportunity to go hands-on with an early build of F1 2019 at a special Press Preview event in Hamburg, Germany at the Automuseum Prototyp using both a premium, high-end Fanatec wheel setup and a standard Xbox One controller – and it’s fair to say that each delivered their own immersive, exhilarating and distinct experiences. From the realism of load cell pedals combined with a robust force-feedback model to the smooth, refined gameplay delivered by a controller, there’s no such thing as a bad way to experience F1 2019.

One of the most notable changes comes in terms of the game’s overall aesthetics. The HUD elements that display throughout races have been overhauled to mimic those as seen in real-world F1 races. These include on-screen indicators for penalties and fastest lap records, which are redesigned to match those from televised broadcasts. It’s a small, but notable improvement that truly makes you feel connected to your virtual Formula 1 race more than ever before."

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks for the link, Rod. Codemasters' F1 series has become almost a guaranteed purchase for me every year. Rivals Forza as the best racing game series for a console. So damn good.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Wonder if I should pick this up...Could we have DSP races on Saturday nights to replace NHL for the summer?
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

You know what would be cool? If Codemaster's allowed in the career mode to run a team and watch the races take place. You can give orders to the team and drivers, create pit strategy. That would be so cool but that's almost a new game to pull off.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Reviews are starting to come in and so far the consensus is that F1 2019 is the best in the series. Here's hoping it makes it to Game Pass pretty quick :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Reviews are starting to come in and so far the consensus is that F1 2019 is the best in the series. Here's hoping it makes it to Game Pass pretty quick :)
Don't hold your breath, Rod. F1 2018 didn't make it in GamePass until about two months ago, from what I recall.

I'm waiting for a deal over the summer. I'm still enjoying the hell out of F1 2018, and I can't shake my Isle of Man TT obsession, especially this time of the year. The IOM TT game still is the most exhilarating console racing experience I've had, flaws and all.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

So I purchased the Legends version which became available at midnight. One thing that I noticed that somehow I missed in all the pre-release stuff is that Leagues are available in F1 2019. I know DSP leagues and poker nights are few and far between these days, but could be something cool to try out.

http://blog.codemasters.com/f1/06/f1-20 ... d-leagues/
One of the biggest changes to multiplayer in F1® 2019 is the addition of new in-game leagues. But as with any big, complex system we know that you’ll likely have a lot of questions about how it works – and, alongside our livestream, which you can check out below, we hope to answer as many of them as we can.

Some of you will absolutely know what a league is, but for those of you who might not know, a league is a championship – a series of race events with a persistent score. Whoever has the most points at the end of the final event is declared the winner. In F1 2019 the progress of each league championship is stored on the game’s online services, meaning individual league members can interact with the league even if the league owner is offline.

You can be a member of up to 20 leagues at once, and each league can support 20 competitors (though league owners can reduce the maximum number of competitors to increase the number of spectator slots, if they so wish).

Leagues can be set to be either “scheduled” or “on-demand”. Scheduled leagues are a great option for strangers playing against each other, as the events take place at scheduled times/dates. As long as you turn up at the predetermined time, you can take part in the event (even if the owner doesn’t show up!)

Leagues have a whole suite of other options to allow you to configure the kind of experience you want:

League Privacy. Public leagues can appear in the Suggested Leagues list, and can be found by using the in-game search option. Private leagues are invisible – you can only join a private league by either a) being invited, or b) searching for the league using its unique access code (which must be provided by an existing league member).

Private leagues also have access to some options public leagues do not. For example, they may play using the official teams instead of the multiplayer car, and admins of private leagues may also edit the results of a GRAND PRIX after it has ended.

Admission Type. By default, players who ask to join a league will be automatically accepted. But if you apply to join a league with approvals enabled, your application must be manually approved by a league admin. The admins can access your OS profile and your in-game Super Licence in order to assess your suitability before approving or rejecting your application (including the all-new Attendance Rating, which rates your reliability in terms of attending/completing league events).

AI. Allows you to define how the AI will be used. In a full or nearly full league you might want to disable the AI entirely. Or you may want the AI to be present on track (to create traffic), but not in the standings – i.e. you want the overall competition to be between the humans only. Or you may have a league with just a few of you, and you want to have a more collaborative experience competing against a full roster of AI for the championship title.

Allow AI Substitutions. It can be annoying, but understandable when players can’t make league events. To reduce the impact upon the other competitors’ experience, F1 2019 offers the option of having the AI substitute for missing players. These AI will be presented as though they are the player they are replacing (albeit with an “AI” tag), helping to preserve the fidelity of the experience for everyone else. For maximum flexibility, the AI level of the substitutes can be set separately to that of other AI competitors.
These are just some of the options available. As well as these, you can also find a similar range of options to those seen in GRAND PRIX™ or Unranked modes: weekend structure, race options, assist restrictions.
You’ll also be able to search for a league that matches what you’re looking for in terms of schedule, gameplay options or social vibes. Or you can also create your own and invite others to join you! Owners can then promote other members to the role of admin, so they can help to share the burden of administrating the league.

At the end of the championship the winner is declared and the competitors (provided certain levels of attendance have been met) are awarded league medals based on their performance. These medals can be displayed in the player’s Trophy Cabinet (under their Super Licence), and can be favourited so that other players can see them when viewing your licence. The owner is then free to restart the league at any time, starting a new championship (optionally with the existing players or an all-new roster).

While a league championship is in progress, competitors will receive penalties to their attendance rating for quitting partway through. To prevent unscrupulous league owners from griefing members, significant changes to the league structure can only be enacted via voting. Changes to the settings or track list can only be instigated by the owner, but must be voted on by members before they can take effect. Votes to postpone an event can be proposed by any competitor, but require unanimous approval from the rest of the league. Votes to kick a player can also be proposed by any competitor, but before that drastic reprisal admins/owners can apply grid penalties or disqualifications to discourage unwanted behaviour.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

DChaps wrote:So I purchased the Legends version which became available at midnight. One thing that I noticed that somehow I missed in all the pre-release stuff is that Leagues are available in F1 2019. I know DSP leagues and poker nights are few and far between these days, but could be something cool to try out.

http://blog.codemasters.com/f1/06/f1-20 ... d-leagues/
One of the biggest changes to multiplayer in F1® 2019 is the addition of new in-game leagues. But as with any big, complex system we know that you’ll likely have a lot of questions about how it works – and, alongside our livestream, which you can check out below, we hope to answer as many of them as we can.

Some of you will absolutely know what a league is, but for those of you who might not know, a league is a championship – a series of race events with a persistent score. Whoever has the most points at the end of the final event is declared the winner. In F1 2019 the progress of each league championship is stored on the game’s online services, meaning individual league members can interact with the league even if the league owner is offline.

You can be a member of up to 20 leagues at once, and each league can support 20 competitors (though league owners can reduce the maximum number of competitors to increase the number of spectator slots, if they so wish).

Leagues can be set to be either “scheduled” or “on-demand”. Scheduled leagues are a great option for strangers playing against each other, as the events take place at scheduled times/dates. As long as you turn up at the predetermined time, you can take part in the event (even if the owner doesn’t show up!)

Leagues have a whole suite of other options to allow you to configure the kind of experience you want:

League Privacy. Public leagues can appear in the Suggested Leagues list, and can be found by using the in-game search option. Private leagues are invisible – you can only join a private league by either a) being invited, or b) searching for the league using its unique access code (which must be provided by an existing league member).

Private leagues also have access to some options public leagues do not. For example, they may play using the official teams instead of the multiplayer car, and admins of private leagues may also edit the results of a GRAND PRIX after it has ended.

Admission Type. By default, players who ask to join a league will be automatically accepted. But if you apply to join a league with approvals enabled, your application must be manually approved by a league admin. The admins can access your OS profile and your in-game Super Licence in order to assess your suitability before approving or rejecting your application (including the all-new Attendance Rating, which rates your reliability in terms of attending/completing league events).

AI. Allows you to define how the AI will be used. In a full or nearly full league you might want to disable the AI entirely. Or you may want the AI to be present on track (to create traffic), but not in the standings – i.e. you want the overall competition to be between the humans only. Or you may have a league with just a few of you, and you want to have a more collaborative experience competing against a full roster of AI for the championship title.

Allow AI Substitutions. It can be annoying, but understandable when players can’t make league events. To reduce the impact upon the other competitors’ experience, F1 2019 offers the option of having the AI substitute for missing players. These AI will be presented as though they are the player they are replacing (albeit with an “AI” tag), helping to preserve the fidelity of the experience for everyone else. For maximum flexibility, the AI level of the substitutes can be set separately to that of other AI competitors.
These are just some of the options available. As well as these, you can also find a similar range of options to those seen in GRAND PRIX™ or Unranked modes: weekend structure, race options, assist restrictions.
You’ll also be able to search for a league that matches what you’re looking for in terms of schedule, gameplay options or social vibes. Or you can also create your own and invite others to join you! Owners can then promote other members to the role of admin, so they can help to share the burden of administrating the league.

At the end of the championship the winner is declared and the competitors (provided certain levels of attendance have been met) are awarded league medals based on their performance. These medals can be displayed in the player’s Trophy Cabinet (under their Super Licence), and can be favourited so that other players can see them when viewing your licence. The owner is then free to restart the league at any time, starting a new championship (optionally with the existing players or an all-new roster).

While a league championship is in progress, competitors will receive penalties to their attendance rating for quitting partway through. To prevent unscrupulous league owners from griefing members, significant changes to the league structure can only be enacted via voting. Changes to the settings or track list can only be instigated by the owner, but must be voted on by members before they can take effect. Votes to postpone an event can be proposed by any competitor, but require unanimous approval from the rest of the league. Votes to kick a player can also be proposed by any competitor, but before that drastic reprisal admins/owners can apply grid penalties or disqualifications to discourage unwanted behaviour.
I might be up for this

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I haven't played F1 much at all. But if it's an online league, I'd be down. Haven't done one in forever.

Am I understanding that properly, Don, that even if it's just a few of us, we can have a full AI field and race, then? So the actual headcount won't make or break a league like poker nights from years past?

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

DChaps wrote:So I purchased the Legends version which became available at midnight. One thing that I noticed that somehow I missed in all the pre-release stuff is that Leagues are available in F1 2019. I know DSP leagues and poker nights are few and far between these days, but could be something cool to try out.
I would be interested in this, but I was thinking about buying the regular edition. I'm guessing the Leagues are available with it as well? I've got a Thrustmaster steering wheel and pedals now, so I won't be as big a liability on the track as I am with a controller. I can at least hold a line with a wheel :)

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Anyone else play this?

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Yes. I bought the Anniversary Edition on Saturday because, even though I'd promised myself I was waiting for a price drop this year, I'm fundamentally weak. I did at least resist the Legends Edition, which reviews suggest has the faintest whiff of a shameless rip-off about it, though hopefully Don is finding differently.

So far I've not done an awful lot, really. I've done a couple of F2 races, the F2 portion of career mode and a single F1 race at Silverstone. From this, I think I've established that F1 braking distances are shorter, front end grip is reduced and that Silverstone's Abbey corner is not flat in a McLaren because the rear won't stick, just isn't flat, stop trying to take it flat. I am, however, Tjungin' it something fierce at this point.

The F2 cars are tremendous - less aero grip and a lovely throaty roar inviting you to take them by the scruff of the neck and have a proper go. I'm not convinced that's the fastest way to drive them, partly because the front isn't coming back if you lock a wheel and partly because tidy corner exit seems to be where the lap time is, but it's bloody good fun. The fun factor is helped considerably by what so far appears to be best-in-class AI, as demonstrated in this clip of me battling for 137th at Red Bull Ring, entitled "I'M ARTEM MARKELOV!"

Space at all times, whether I necessarily deserved it or not, and I'll note here that had this race been more than 3 laps long, i might have thought twice about the first lunge up the inside. Most impressively, the AI Nyck de Vries rejected two clear chances to screw me over - once as I passed on the outside, then again at the very end of the clip - in favour of racing me cleanly and fairly instead. I've watched this replay over and over again, since it's the most enjoyable offline race I can ever remember having, and it was all over 9th place.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I bought the Legends Edition during the Steam sale and what a joke/ripoff. The 8 challenges are nothing more than Ridge Racer type challenges. You start at or close to the back and you have to pass every car. It's either Senna or Prost in the lead during the challenge. The two bonus cars are not worth the $8 I paid during the sale.

The game ran like crap on my 6 yr old rig with a GTX 780 and since I was pushing the 2 hr refund limit, I got my refund. Denuvo still hasn't locked me out so i'm still playing it and I installed the Nvidia latest drivers and that helped big time (Ultra settings @ 60 fps minus ultra car reflections) so i'll buy it again but i'll just save my money and go for the Anniversary edition which has plenty of classic cars.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

A few other things i've noticed while playing the game:

1) All the cars no matter what year or series i.e. Modern and Classic cars all seem to drive the same i,e, cut and paste physics. I could be wrong about this but it's the impression I got driving all the different types of cars using a controller.

2) The "NEW" night lighting looks like a heavy dose of FOG. So i'm not digging the new night lighting.

3) Codemaster needs to fix the UFO Helicopters in the game. It's distracting once you see one zoom off and away while you're driving.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Thanks for your impressions on it Rodster. I'm teetering on the brink of a purchase for the XBox One X version, especially now that it's part of Microsoft's Summer Specials at $41.99. The thing I'm reading about it that troubles me most is the problems the game is having with inconsistent force feedback strength, particularly in time trials and online multiplayer. Reports are that the force feedback drops by like 35% when you're in time trial or online multiplayer. This is the case on the PS4 and XBox One side, from what I'm reading.

Hopefully, they can get this fixed in a patch. Meanwhile, the Summer Special sale ends in three days. I hate to roll the dice in the hopes they're going to get the force feedback issue straightened out in an update.

Did you by chance try the F2 cars? I'm reading some positive feedback on that, which I find more appealing than F1 from a driving feel standpoint anyway.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

John, there was a recent patch, not sure if it addresses the wheel issues with FF as I play with my volatile controller but for that price, I would take the dive.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

J_Cauthen wrote:Did you by chance try the F2 cars? I'm reading some positive feedback on that, which I find more appealing than F1 from a driving feel standpoint anyway.
Yes I did and as I noted, they at least to me drive no different than the 2018/2019/1970's/1980's/1990's Formula 1 cars, I tried most of them. At least that's the impression I got and I came to that conclusion because I did not have to change my driving style one bit driving any of those cars. You may come to a different conclusion but it felt like a cut and paste physics job to me.

The most annoying/distracting thing about the game are the UFO helicopters. I crashed while leading the race as one zoomed past by :lol:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'm waiting to buy until the price drops to $29.99 or lower. I'm still having plenty of fun with F1 2018, which is on GamePass.

GamePass and EA Access have changed my game purchasing habits. I no longer feel like I must have desired games on release day. The only game I have purchased on release day this year is The Division 2.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:I'm waiting to buy until the price drops to $29.99 or lower. I'm still having plenty of fun with F1 2018, which is on GamePass.

GamePass and EA Access have changed my game purchasing habits. I no longer feel like I must have desired games on release day. The only game I have purchased on release day this year is The Division 2.
Don't know why anyone would buy on release day. The game has been out for about a month and already it's had a 30% sale. Last year I bought NBA Live 19 on a discount before it was released for $24 and within a couple of months it dropped below that and it eventually hit $5 while the season was still going. NBA 2K19 IIRC during the NBA Finals dropped to $3.

Yeah it's best to wait nowadays.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:John, there was a recent patch, not sure if it addresses the wheel issues with FF as I play with my volatile controller but for that price, I would take the dive.
I'm reading in the official forum that the 1.06 did not fix this on the XBox One. Still pondering a purchase, although one of the diehards in the official forum, AlexTT has advised me to save my money because of the force feedback issue.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Rodster wrote:Yes I did and as I noted, they at least to me drive no different than the 2018/2019/1970's/1980's/1990's Formula 1 cars, I tried most of them.
Oh, I see now... I thought you just spoke of Classic cars previously, but in reading it again you lumped "series" in with that assessment also.
At least that's the impression I got and I came to that conclusion because I did not have to change my driving style one bit driving any of those cars. You may come to a different conclusion but it felt like a cut and paste physics job to me.
I do notice a difference in car handling between the modern and classic cars in F1 2018, with my Thrustmaster TX. In fact I prefer the classic car handling better because I can feel more of what's happening with the car. I'm bad about having a car break loose on me without warning driving the modern F1s.
The most annoying/distracting thing about the game are the UFO helicopters. I crashed while leading the race as one zoomed past by :lol:
:lol: As a UFO buff, I might get a kick out of that.... well, for a little while :)

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

pk500 wrote:I'm waiting to buy until the price drops to $29.99 or lower. I'm still having plenty of fun with F1 2018, which is on GamePass.

That was kind of where I was at, but the allure of wanting to drive an F2 car, along with the new online league feature had me considering more aggressive purchase plans. However, I've been warned by another die hard in the official forum that the online league functionality leaves much to be desired, as evidenced below in this snip from their post:

"It's not about the participants, it's the way the game implements league functionality. It doesn't tally with the way leagues operate. The central mailbox idea is good but race scheduling, reserve slots and the ability to have AI race for participants needs work."