Racing Season 2019 (Spoiler Alert)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Season 2019

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
F308GTB wrote:While I am enjoy the IndyCar series, one thing on the broadcasts just drives me batty. Why must the broadcast team always refer to a new set of tires with the word "sticker". It just dumbs down the product (the racing) to me. Even Firestone on their website doesn't use this hillbilly term, except parathetically in the section which has the Indy rules. Come on, say "new set of alternates" instead of "sticker reds boogity boogity boogity!"

Life must be good for me if this is what I need to rant about :D
Two reasons. One, old habits die hard. "Sticker" tires is a very common term in IndyCar circles. Two, "sticker" is used to differentiate between brand-new and scuffed tires. "Stickers" are brand-new -- not one lap. "Scuffs" have one or two laps worth of wear.

I'm telling you nothing you don't know, James. But I think those are the reasons.
Well, count me in the group that didn't know the difference between stickers and scuffs.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Hard to believe it has been 25 years since Ayrton Senna's death. That was in the very early days of internet access for me and news was not readily available. I knew that morning that he had been in a bad accident, but waited all day to finally hear that he had died via a ticker on ESPN (I think). Brutal...I grew up as a racing fan in the 70's and very early lost childhood heroes (Mark Donohue, Swede Savage, Ronnie Peterson), but Senna's death hit me especially hard even as an adult. If you have never watched the documentary Senna, go watch it today. :)

SENNA - Exclusive Clip ('88 Monte Carlo Grand Prix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeFqsWWG1qE

Autosport's Ayrton Senna tribute special reissued
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14309 ... obar_title

Video: From Toleman to Williams - every Ayrton Senna F1 car ranked
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14308 ... obar_image

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

DChaps wrote:Hard to believe it has been 25 years since Ayrton Senna's death. That was in the very early days of internet access for me and news was not readily available. I knew that morning that he had been in a bad accident, but waited all day to finally hear that he had died via a ticker on ESPN (I think).
I had just started getting into Formula 1 around that time. A couple of weeks after he died a good friend of mine and his finance who just so happened to be Brazilian were visiting for the weekend. And much to my dismay she was sick and tired of all the Senna news coverage back home. So let's just say not all Brazilians were Senna fans. :lol:

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Anyone else watch the IMSA race from Mid Ohio yesterday? The final 15+ minutes in GTD had some of the most fun racing without a pass I’ve watched in a long time (ever?). Hawksworth got his Lexus in front of Farnbacher’s NSX and managed to hold on to the lead without making any mistakes despite the Farnbacher wringing the neck of the Acura in an effort to get around him.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

It appears Interlagos is off the calendar next year and a new venue is on the way in Rio de Janeiro and Hermann Tilke is designing the new (boring, non-passing) race track. Although IIRC he designed the Austin track so there may be hope yet for the Rio venue. https://www.planetf1.com/news/interlago ... -calendar/

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Good grief so much for an exciting F1 season. This was supposed to be Ferrari's year. . . . . . . . .Again!

It has turned into a Mercedes rout so far in 2019. Even though Ferrari blew their race in Bahrain the rest of the races, Mercedes has dominated. Spain which was supposed to be Ferrari's easiest race to win since they had another preseason crown, got destroyed by Merc in qualifying. . . . . . . . .again

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Good grief so much for an exciting F1 season. This was supposed to be Ferrari's year. . . . . . . . .Again!

It has turned into a Mercedes rout so far in 2019. Even though Ferrari blew their race in Bahrain the rest of the races, Mercedes has dominated. Spain which was supposed to be Ferrari's easiest race to win since they had another preseason crown, got destroyed by Merc in qualifying. . . . . . . . .again
It's almost not worth watching, and it's only May. I'm already getting FAR more entertainment from IndyCar, WRC and MotoGP this season.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Good grief so much for an exciting F1 season. This was supposed to be Ferrari's year. . . . . . . . .Again!

It's almost not worth watching, and it's only May. I'm already getting FAR more entertainment from IndyCar, WRC and MotoGP this season.
CORRECTION, it's not worth watching. Ugly ass cars that sound like wet farts by overpaid divas and having to endure Crofty manufacturing excitement, then having to explain where and when those exciting points happened in the race. Mad Max is the most entertaining as well as Ricciardo and both are in cars that have little chance of winning. I'm glad Marcus Ericsson found a ride in Indycars.

I'm getting the feeling that F1 will implode on itself in the next 10-15 yrs.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:I'm getting the feeling that F1 will implode on itself in the next 10-15 yrs.
Negative. F1 didn't die after McLaren won 15 of 16 races with Senna and Prost. It didn't capitulate during Ferrari's stage-managed reign of red terror in the early 2000s.

The product sucks. But it won't die.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Indy 500 Practice is underway!

Live Timing and Scoring is available below:

https://racecontrol.indycar.com/

Ed Carpenter is at the top of the charts so far with a best lap speed of 228.653 MPH

Love the month of May for racing! :)

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Tomorrow is going to be one hell of an interesting day at the ol' speedway. Hot, windy conditions and a bunch of trimmed out racecars with unhappy drivers.

I honestly have no idea who is going to end up in the "bottom 6" shootout on Sunday. There are some good guesses, like Juncos, but does McLaren feel great tonight? Nope. Is Rosenqvist ready to hang it out for four laps? A guy I figured would be in the upper half of the field, Sage Karam, sure looked spooked this afternoon before finding some speed late.

The Penske and Carpenter cars have been hooked up. Marco's car held its speed pretty well over four laps, Conor Daly is clearly fast with a tow, but I can't see all five (six, counting Herta) getting through the day drama-free.

More than anything else, just want to get through the next two days injury-free. The impacts have been HUGE this week.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

We're getting the full broadcast coverage on Sky Sports F1 and it's bloody brilliant. I've even enjoyed this last several hours of rain delay.

Alonso isn't going to make it, is he? It should be a surprise, I suppose, but I'm yet to see any obvious sign that the team is functioning as one unit with some idea of what it's meant to be doing.

Edit: I suppose having a chat with Penske and Andretti wasn't a bad idea, though...
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

GB_Simo wrote:We're getting the full broadcast coverage on Sky Sports F1 and it's bloody brilliant. I've even enjoyed this last several hours of rain delay.

Alonso isn't going to make it, is he? It should be a surprise, I suppose, but I'm yet to see any obvious sign that the team is functioning as one unit with some idea of what it's meant to be doing.
It has been a fantastic week of coverage from the Brickyard, NBCSN was on another level from what we got from ABC (the international issues with NBCSN Gold/practice streaming, notwithstanding). Let's just say I didn't miss Scott Goodyear or Eddie Cheever.

Marshall Pruett's daily podcasts have been fantastic as well, I'm currently refreshing Overcast every few minutes hoping today's shows up. Yesterday he talked a little about sensing everyone at McLaren wasn't on the same page back at the open test in April.

The big takeaway for me is that the Indy 500 is a really sh*tty first stress test for a team. It doesn't make any sense that McLaren didn't at least run the Indy GP, even if it was with a different driver, just to see how everyone works together in race conditions. Maybe I'll get Zak Brown or Gil de Ferran's number before next year to offer my consulting services :lol: And at least I only bought one hat while at the Indy GP, I'm guessing the other hat and gear that caught my eye might be cheaper in a few months.

I can't remember having so much to say or talk about after an Indy qualifying weekend. Alonso's obviously the headline and has joined Penske 95 and Rahal 94 (maybe Hinch 18?) in every "can you believe they missed the race" montage.

But the little guys put their balls (and ovaries) on the line and stuck it in the show. Dragonspeed/Hanley was a clear bump candidate, Pippa/Clauson-Marshall, Juncos/Kaiser, Davison/Byrd&others also made a lot of bump prediction lists. Hopefully the Juncos car is filled with logos next Sunday.

Then you have Little Hertamania as the fastest Honda, Pagenaud continuing to roll this month, a 6th row to watch at the start with Kanaan-Rahal-Dixon lining up, 3 Carpenter cars in the top 4, etc.

PK, you've got plenty to keep you busy this week!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Hinch missing the show last year was a bigger shock than McLaren this year.

SPM and Hinch were series regulars. They won the Indy 500 pole together in 2016. They are a very competent NTT IndyCar Series team.

You can't say the same about McLaren.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Dave wrote:It has been a fantastic week of coverage from the Brickyard, NBCSN was on another level from what we got from ABC (the international issues with NBCSN Gold/practice streaming, notwithstanding). Let's just say I didn't miss Scott Goodyear or Eddie Cheever.

Marshall Pruett's daily podcasts have been fantastic as well, I'm currently refreshing Overcast every few minutes hoping today's shows up. Yesterday he talked a little about sensing everyone at McLaren wasn't on the same page back at the open test in April.

The big takeaway for me is that the Indy 500 is a really sh*tty first stress test for a team. It doesn't make any sense that McLaren didn't at least run the Indy GP, even if it was with a different driver, just to see how everyone works together in race conditions. Maybe I'll get Zak Brown or Gil de Ferran's number before next year to offer my consulting services :lol: And at least I only bought one hat while at the Indy GP, I'm guessing the other hat and gear that caught my eye might be cheaper in a few months.

I can't remember having so much to say or talk about after an Indy qualifying weekend. Alonso's obviously the headline and has joined Penske 95 and Rahal 94 (maybe Hinch 18?) in every "can you believe they missed the race" montage.

But the little guys put their balls (and ovaries) on the line and stuck it in the show. Dragonspeed/Hanley was a clear bump candidate, Pippa/Clauson-Marshall, Juncos/Kaiser, Davison/Byrd&others also made a lot of bump prediction lists. Hopefully the Juncos car is filled with logos next Sunday.

Then you have Little Hertamania as the fastest Honda, Pagenaud continuing to roll this month, a 6th row to watch at the start with Kanaan-Rahal-Dixon lining up, 3 Carpenter cars in the top 4, etc.

PK, you've got plenty to keep you busy this week!
Agree with everything you said. One of the most exciting, scary, stressful, frustrating, and fun qualification weekends in some time. I also have really enjoyed the NBC coverage, and Marshall Pruett/Robin Miller/Seb for Racer.

However, I will say that the most frustrating thing for me is that I have Youtube TV, NBC Sports, and the NBC Sports Gold Indycar Pass (yes, I paid for the annual subscription). I had to drive up to Clemson on Saturday and got to "listen" to the day 1 qualifications coverage via the app on my phone (pretty awesome). I have my Youtube TV set to record all things Indycar in the cloud. I watched almost all the rain delay coverage of day 2 qualifying live. I had an commitment late in the afternoon yesterday though and missed the Last Row Shootout and the Fast Nine Shootout, but I figured between my Youtube TV, NBC Sports Gold Indycar Pass, and/or the NBC Sports Network, I would be covered. NOPE! No place to actually watch the main events of what I waited the whole weekend for. And as of this morning, even in the NBC Gold Indycar Pass replays section, it had the 3+ hours or so of rain delay coverage that I had already seen, but not the actual Last Row Shootout and the Fast Nine Shootout. I guess Youtube TV didn't record it because it must not have been a regularly scheduled NBCSN Indycar recording, but you would think at least as a paying member of the Indycar Pass subscription, there would have been a replay of it. Not as of yet anyway. Oh well, if that's the worst of my problems I am a lucky man. Definitely looking forward to the race, but also just hoping for a safe race. Nice to see none of the cars going over that started to get airborne.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

A bit of background on McLaren's plight, from an impeccable source here at the track. McLaren bought dampers from Penske on Saturday night, with setup help from Andretti (wonder what Honda thought about that?).

Those changes caused Alonso's car to be stuck to the track during his Last Row Shootout run better than at any time during the month. But McLaren mis-geared the car, with too long gears. So Fernando never got the top speed out of his car.

Incompetence and arrogance are a poisonous cocktail. Drink up, Zak Brown and the now deposed Bob Fernley.

But to be fair, I feel bad for Fernando and Gil de Ferran. They're both class acts who were devastated by missing the show, especially Gil.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Struggling to find the words to sum up this piece, which adds some scarcely-believable extra details to those PK mentioned:

https://apnews.com/a8653967a9714ac7a9a3ba576f712fff

How can you not realise until a week before your only test that you don't have a bloody steering wheel?
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

GB_Simo wrote:Struggling to find the words to sum up this piece, which adds some scarcely-believable extra details to those PK mentioned:

https://apnews.com/a8653967a9714ac7a9a3ba576f712fff

How can you not realise until a week before your only test that you don't have a bloody steering wheel?
After reading that unbelievable article, I wouldn’t hire Bob Fernley to run a concession stand. I guess McLaren could have used my services after all!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

RIP: Niki Lauda 70

He always appeared to be one of the few straight shooters in the paddock if you asked him a question. Some say he would even give away too much information if asked a question. But he always appeared to be a genuinely good dude and supposedly a damn good pilot flying planes.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

One of the reasons I followed F1 in those glory days. Still remember his battles with James Hunt and the horrific crash in Nurburgring in 76. The numerous surgeries he went thru, all the burns but he kept fighting only to race again some 6 weeks after. The legendary red cap. A miracle, a champion. RIP Niki.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro wrote:One of the reasons I followed F1 in those glory days. Still remember his battles with James Hunt and the horrific crash in Nurburgring in 76. The numerous surgeries he went thru, all the burns but he kept fighting only to race again some 6 weeks after. The legendary red cap. A miracle, a champion. RIP Niki.
And 40 days later he was racing again. Doctors said he nearly died and according to Niki was given last rites which pissed him off. :lol:

But doctors said his near death was not from the burns but from inhaling burning fiberglass which damaged his lungs and if i'm not mistaken he most recently required an organ transplant.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

While I enjoyed Rush (Ron Howard's movie on the 1976 F1 season), you really need to watch the documentary below as well. Both are worth a watch if you have not seen them, but also only hit the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Niki.

1976: Hunt vs Lauda
https://vimeo.com/130729199
https://www.amazon.com/1976-Hunt-vs-Lau ... B00H2WIXY4

Rush (2013)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1979320/

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I keep thinking of that scene in Rush where the italian dude in the back seat keeps saying Niki Lauda Niki Lauda.

R.I.P. Niki

What a great life.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Niki Lauda was one of the most skilled and toughest human beings to ever sit in a race car. The words legend and badass are so overused in racing, but not with Niki.

Godspeed, racer.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

This years Indy 500 marks the 50th Anniversary of Mario Andretti's one and only win at the 500, Roger Penske's first run at the 500 with Mark Donohue, and Robin Miller's first covering the 500 as a journalist. Here are some good links to get you pumped up for this weekend of racing!

1969 Indianapolis 500 | Official Race Film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNJvoxScBaE

1960s Era of the Indianapolis 500 narrated by Donald Davidson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-XwgS9DQyw

Drive Like Andretti Part 1: God From Machine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aloaRXS_kjI

Drive Like Andretti Part 2: Life After Racing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01AYVkrH5tw

Drive Like Andretti Part 3: Nothing Comes from Nothing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBX13oj20C0

Drive Like Andretti Part 4: From Trial to Triumph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZVqVQi8Bm8