DSP Boxing thread. Ding! Ding!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: DSP Boxing thread. Ding! Ding!

Post by pk500 »

Diablo25 wrote:There should probably be an MMA thread. I think we would all agree boxing and UFC are two different animals.
Agree. Please don't soil this thread with MMA.

But Rod, are you serious? White is licking his chops for this rematch. The "brawl" after the fight -- as WWE as I've ever seen in a supposed legitimate sport -- only will set up an even bigger freak show for the rematch.

McGregor should just switch to boxing. He's a good striker and confounded Mayweather for a couple of rounds. Everyone in MMA knows he's useless on the ground. I would welcome him and his act to the Sweet Science.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:There should probably be an MMA thread. I think we would all agree boxing and UFC are two different animals.
Agree. Please don't soil this thread with MMA.

But Rod, are you serious? White is licking his chops for this rematch. The "brawl" after the fight -- as WWE as I've ever seen in a supposed legitimate sport -- only will set up an even bigger freak show for the rematch.

McGregor should just switch to boxing. He's a good striker and confounded Mayweather for a couple of rounds. Everyone in MMA knows he's useless on the ground. I would welcome him and his act to the Sweet Science.
Ha ha, is there really that much interest in the UFC? I don't think so. :)

But here's the problem Dana White has: So I was reading about the incident where McGregor thru things at a Bus in NYC and injured (minor) several fighters that day. He was reprimanded and fined by NYC for the incident but he wasn't fined by White and supposedly Khabib was somehow involved in that incident so bad blood was spewing fight night. Then McGregor from what I've read tried to get into Khabib's head and calling out his religion, ethnicity and got his family involved. So after the fight was over someone from McGregor's camp got involved with the Khabib side and that's when all hell broke loose.

So now Dana White refused to give Khabib his belt because of what he feared was a further post fight escalation, that was smart. And what was being reported, White may sanction, fine and strip Khabib of his title and yet McGregor's stunt had no repercussions from the UFC because that's Dana White's Golden Boy/Cash Cow. Yes, it all strikes me as WWE style setup but McGregor will lose again just like Rousey did.

What's really impressive is Khabib's record of 27-0 which is an amazing feat in the UFC. Usually top level fighters will get a couple of losses before their 8th fight and Khabib who's an absolute bad ass in the Octagon is strutting a 27-0 record. That's the kind of record you see in Boxing from a Champion !

See I brought the discussion back to Boxing :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Fight Night Champion coming to EA Access on Oct. 10. Solid boxing game!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I knew the fight was last night and forgot to stream it but I just read it was one helluva fight. What are your thoughts on the Wilder v Fury fight PK? Fury said if he doesn't get a rematch soon he may want to fight AJ and since both of them are Brits, that should make for one helluva show and no doubt that has to take place at Wembley Stadium.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:I knew the fight was last night and forgot to stream it but I just read it was one helluva fight. What are your thoughts on the Wilder v Fury fight PK? Fury said if he doesn't get a rematch soon he may want to fight AJ and since both of them are Brits, that should make for one helluva show and no doubt that has to take place at Wembley Stadium.
I had it 115-113, Fury. The Gypsy King won every round except the second, ninth and 12th. He was knocked down in the ninth and 12th by Wilder, so that accounts for the closer score.

Fury is a superb boxer for such a large man. I'll go so far to say I've never seen a man of his size with such deft head movement, feints and footwork. He's a marvel. Unfortunately, he has ZERO power for a man who is 6-9, 280.

Wilder is such a one-trick pony. He has a solid left jab and massive overhand right, and that's it. But when that right connects, as it did in the ninth and 12th, look out. The most detonating punch in boxing, and it's not close.

But Wilder is NOT a good boxer. His footwork is terrible. His head movement is almost non-existent. His tactical nous is a joke. He doesn't move in and out at angles. He is SO easy to hit.

A rematch should be next. I thought this would be a crap fight, but it ended up being compelling as hell. Wilder's utter lack of boxing ability but a punch that could shake tectonic plates is a perfect foil for the quirky boxing skill of Fury. Plus both guys drip with charisma.

I've seen thousands of fights in my life, and I've never seen a man rise from the canvas after taking the kind of atomic bomb that Fury absorbed from Wilder in the 12th. Wilder had every right to dance and do the throat slash after landing that shot. NO ONE on Earth besides Fury thought he would arise from that punch.

It was an incredibly thrilling spectacle to see Fury rise from the deck in the 12th. One of the reasons I love this sport so much.

One of the reasons I don't love this sport all the time happened earlier in the night in Quebec City. Light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson was knocked out by Ukrainian crusher Oleksandr Govozdyk and is in stable condition in a medically induced coma due to a brain bleed. I've never been a Stevenson fan, but no one wishes this kind of injury on anyone.

Get well soon, Superman.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Streaming the Puvel v Dinu fight, pretty entertaining. 7th rd Puvel accidentally hits Dinu in the back of the head, 1 pt deduction. Winner is supposed to fight AJ. Dinu didn’t last the rd. Either fighter’s style plays into AJ’s strength as they are straight up fighters but Puvel is 37 yrs old.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Lesson to be learned. Never, ever taunt and disrespect your opponent even if you think you've won the fight :lol:

https://twitter.com/BTSportBoxing/statu ... 77/video/1

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Lesson to be learned. Never, ever taunt and disrespect your opponent even if you think you've won the fight :lol:

https://twitter.com/BTSportBoxing/statu ... 77/video/1
Serves that d*uchebag right for an even greater sin in boxing than taunting -- dropping your hands. Unless you're Roy Jones Jr., you're not good enough to fight with your hands at your waist.

Heed the advice of the ref during pre-fight instructions: "Protect yourself at all times."

Good find, Rod! Thanks for sharing.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

After reading that Canelo signed a 10 fight $300 million dollar contract. How is it that Canelo Alvarez has become such a "Star" in boxing but couldn't beat Mayweather? The obvious answer would be because Money is too slick but was it bad timing to matchup with Mayweather so early in his career? Would the results have been different if he had waited a year or two later?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:After reading that Canelo signed a 10 fight $300 million dollar contract. How is it that Canelo Alvarez has become such a "Star" in boxing but couldn't beat Mayweather? The obvious answer would be because Money is too slick but was it bad timing to matchup with Mayweather so early in his career? Would the results have been different if he had waited a year or two later?
Remember, nobody officially beat Mayweather (although I'll always contend that Money lost to Jose Luis Castillo in their first fight and got a gift decision).

Canelo also fought Mayweather at a very young age, in 2013. Canelo had a lot of fights under his belt because he turned pro at age 16, but he had nowhere near the boxing skill, with ring movement and two educated hands, like he has now. He's a FAR more complete fighter than he was in September 2013.

Would it make a difference now? Probably not. Mayweather is the best defensive fighter since Sweet Pea Whitaker in the 80s. He mastered the art of pot-shotting and not being hit. But that fight today would be far closer than in September 2013.

We'll never see it, though. Mayweather is retired. And he would never exit retirement to fight Canelo again because there would be far too much risk to the zero on the right side of his record, which, along with money and abusing women, is the only thing he cares about. Mayweather carefully stage-managed his opponents in the second half of his career to avoid all risk.

Canelo is the exact opposite -- that guy ducks no one, one of the reasons he has become a big star. He has taken on everyone -- Cotto, Mosely, Cintron, Trout, Lopez, Mayweather, Angulo, Lara, Kirkland, Khan, GGG and now Danny Jacobs, who is about as live of an underdog as you'll find at 160 pounds. Should be a competitive, fun fight. Can't wait to watch Saturday night on DAZN.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

PK, who are you picking for tomorrow's fight, Canelo or Jacobs?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:PK, who are you picking for tomorrow's fight, Canelo or Jacobs?
Canelo UD, 116-112 (eight rounds to four) in a competitive, entertaining fight.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Virgil Ortiz Jr looks impressive, Roach Jr came to the fight with a lot of hype and he was disappointing but got lucky against Oquendo.

Good call on the Canelo fight, PK. Has that always been his style? He kinda fights like Mayweather in that he appears real slippery like Mayweather and lives off the counterpunch. Too bad Money is 50 and retired, I would love to see a rematch.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Mayweather isn't 50! He's 42. :)

Canelo has become a far more nuanced boxer in the last six or seven years, growing into one of the best counter-punchers and most well-rounded fighters in the sport.

I put Canelo No. 3 on my pound-for-pound list, behind Lomachenko and Crawford.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

What are your thoughts on Virgil Ortiz Jr? That kid brings the HEAT and is lightning quick !

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:What are your thoughts on Virgil Ortiz Jr? That kid brings the HEAT and is lightning quick !
A solid, untested prospect. Look at his Boxrec: He was fighting guys with losing records two years ago.

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/766727

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I watched The tale of Gatti- Ward again today.

Must watch for a boxing fan.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The Gatti v Ward trilogy will make anyone a boxing fan. Those three fights rank right up there with the Ali v Frazier trilogy.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Rodster wrote:The Gatti v Ward trilogy will make anyone a boxing fan. Those three fights rank right up there with the Ali v Frazier trilogy.
Incredible fights. Incredible.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I waas no fan of Jim Lampley but when he started crying like a baby talking about the first fight he changed my mind about him ...That was something.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

When Jim called the 2nd fight he was so mesmerized by the action in the ring, he stayed quiet for around 30 secs and I think it was George Foreman who was next to him said, "come on Jim say something". Jim fired back and said, "you know what you're watching, I don't have to tell you". Classic stuff :lol:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:The Gatti v Ward trilogy will make anyone a boxing fan. Those three fights rank right up there with the Ali v Frazier trilogy.
Don't forget Vazquez-Marquez and Pacquiao-Morales on your great boxing trilogy list, folks. Easily the best trilogies since Gatti-Ward in the Sweet Science.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

PK, is that Joshua fight in NY going to be any good?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:PK, is that Joshua fight in NY going to be any good?
Ruiz has a body like your lazy next-door neighbor, but he has deceptively quick feet and hands for such a large man. AJ will win, but Ruiz could confuse him for a few rounds.

The fight is on DAZN, so I'll be watching.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:PK, is that Joshua fight in NY going to be any good?
Ruiz has a body like your lazy next-door neighbor, but he has deceptively quick feet and hands for such a large man. AJ will win, but Ruiz could confuse him for a few rounds.

The fight is on DAZN, so I'll be watching.
I'll be watching that DAZN feed as well in a glorious low res feed. Here's hoping AJ and Wilder could get down to business and fight in MSG.