Nintendo Switch

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by wco81 »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... njqq1645VT

Demo coming 5/24.

Online play!

I may actually have to connect my Switch to the dock and my TV for the first time, to try out the motion controls.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Bought Lumines off the Nintendo store yesterday. Wow, I have missed that game. Last played it on the PSP. Still great.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Any of you Switch owners bought Hallow Knight? I guess it’s been out on PC for a year, but wow the praise for this game is off the charts. For $15, I might just see what all the fuss is about.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

sportdan30 wrote:Bought Lumines off the Nintendo store yesterday. Wow, I have missed that game. Last played it on the PSP. Still great.
A review was posted that said it's a great game but the vibration levels are too high. https://www.usgamer.net/articles/lumine ... h-analysis

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Hollow Knight start a little slow and grim but once you beat the first boss and the 2nd area opens up, my word, it becomes amazing.

It is very difficult but so far is stacking up to be the best Metroidvania I have ever played. At $15 it is a steal.

As far as Lumines, it is great, but do I have to always start Challenge Mode with the same skin?

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Some decent Demo games available if anybody hasn't checked lately including the new Toad puzzler.

Mario Tennis (no demo) is just meh. The special moves and stuff is just way too overblown and it seems as if it comes down to who uses the 1 character that is nearly unbeatable will win. I did play against a guy who was using a shot that he could curve damn near a 90 degree angle after it came over the net.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Sudz wrote:Some decent Demo games available if anybody hasn't checked lately including the new Toad puzzler.

Mario Tennis (no demo) is just meh. The special moves and stuff is just way too overblown and it seems as if it comes down to who uses the 1 character that is nearly unbeatable will win. I did play against a guy who was using a shot that he could curve damn near a 90 degree angle after it came over the net.
I'm staying far away from Mario Tennis. I've heard it described as playing more like a fighting game with special moves, OP characters...not so much on plain tennis.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Naples39 wrote:
Sudz wrote:Some decent Demo games available if anybody hasn't checked lately including the new Toad puzzler.

I'm staying far away from Mario Tennis. I've heard it described as playing more like a fighting game with special moves, OP characters...not so much on plain tennis.
Yeah, pretty much. Even in "simple mode" without the special moves players can still move the ball after it has been hit and get super speed. meh.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I had hopes for Mario Tennis but I decided to wait for the reviews first and i'm glad I did. As Naples and the reviews said, this is really a tennis fighting game more than an actual tennis game.

Last year I purchased Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash for the Wii U for $5 from Nintendo and that game while getting mediocre reviews is actually a pretty fun game and has every game mode I could ask for so $60 vs $5 is pretty hard to justify.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Sleeper indie title Super Volleyball Blast. Well worth $10 for a simple yet deep 2 vs 2 game.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

sportdan30 wrote:Sleeper indie title Super Volleyball Blast. Well worth $10 for a simple yet deep 2 vs 2 game.
I do love playing indies on Switch, and I have some fond memories of Super Spike V'Ball on NES :lol:

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Naples39 wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:Sleeper indie title Super Volleyball Blast. Well worth $10 for a simple yet deep 2 vs 2 game.
I do love playing indies on Switch, and I have some fond memories of Super Spike V'Ball on NES :lol:
Agree. I have more than a quite of few indies on the Switch. I usually pick them up on sale.

The best is Hollow Knight....hands down, followed by Golf Story. Other favorites include Rogue Aces, Lumines Remastered, Pinball FX3, Robonauts, Neurovoider and Letter Quest Remastered.

I still want Axiom Verge, Enter the Gungeon, Wizard of Legend and a few others plus Moonlighters comes to the Switch next month.

With my boys taking up the tv's to play the XBONE and PS4 the Switch has become my go to system since I can play exclusively in handheld mode.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

pigpen81 wrote:
Naples39 wrote:
Agree. I have more than a quite of few indies on the Switch. I usually pick them up on sale.

The best is Hollow Knight....hands down, followed by Golf Story. Other favorites include Rogue Aces, Lumines Remastered, Pinball FX3, Robonauts, Neurovoider and Letter Quest Remastered.

I still want Axiom Verge, Enter the Gungeon, Wizard of Legend and a few others plus Moonlighters comes to the Switch next month.

With my boys taking up the tv's to play the XBONE and PS4 the Switch has become my go to system since I can play exclusively in handheld mode.
I love Rogue Aces. Enter the Gungeon kicks my ass and I can't get anywhere close to beating it.

I'm anxiously awaiting Dead Cells on Switch.

Max and the Curse of Brotherhood was pretty fun puzzle-platformer. I'm working my way through Shovel Knight, and I'm getting a backlog of games I bought on sale like Oceanhorn, Steamworld Dig 2,The Fall, Bleed 2. I also have an app on my phone for the Switch store with a wishlist that I've got like 25 games on. There's just too many!!

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

I picked up Enter the Gungeon the other day for 50% off and it is outstanding.

I just opened up another area in Hollow Knight (City of Tears) and it is amazing. It is now in my top 3 non-sports, single player games of all time.

Here is an article I read that recently that I have a little bit of common with the author:
https://www.cnet.com/news/the-nintendo- ... less-life/

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

My favorite videogame franchise :)

"Animal Crossing On Nintendo Switch Is Finally Happening"

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/anima ... 0-6461767/

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

It looks like someone from the XBOX ONE team is now working for Nintendo. :P

Nintendo Switch requires weekly online check-in to play NES games, Cloud saves deleted if your subscription expires.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... s#comments

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Rodster wrote:It looks like someone from the XBOX ONE team is now working for Nintendo. :P

Nintendo Switch requires weekly online check-in to play NES games, Cloud saves deleted if your subscription expires.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... s#comments
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Horizon Chase Turbo is an absolute blast to play. There's a demo on the PS4, but this game was made for the Switch. Great handheld game that I believe started out as a mobile game. Definitely a retro racer that will remind you of Outrun, Pole Position, etc.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Rented Diablo III from the library this weekend. The country library allows a 2 week check out, which is great!

Anyways, what an amazing game (yes, I'm rather late playing this title), and a perfect fit on the Switch. Stayed up until 2 in the morning the other night in bed playing this game.

Bought the grip from Satisfye and I'm more than satisfied. Highly recommended. Hands don't cramp anymore. Easy to take on and off.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Didn't know that was a thing...thanks, Dan. I have a real problem using those little joy-cons on the Switch, specifically playing Diablo (pretty much the only game I have installed).

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah holy hell...need to get that grip. Thanks Dan!

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

sportdan30 wrote:Rented Diablo III from the library this weekend. The country library allows a 2 week check out, which is great!

Anyways, what an amazing game (yes, I'm rather late playing this title), and a perfect fit on the Switch. Stayed up until 2 in the morning the other night in bed playing this game.

Bought the grip from Satisfye and I'm more than satisfied. Highly recommended. Hands don't cramp anymore. Easy to take on and off.
I've actually been looking for a new Switch game to really sink my teeth into - and hadn't even remembered that Diablo 3 was on the platform.

How is it for someone like me who's never played a dungeon crawler before? I am definitely someone who loves videogames but isn't particularly good at them! What's the difficulty like?

Otherwise, Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom on the Switch is really good so far - great old school vibe but modernized with loving detail.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

It is a no-brainer. It's simple to get into, everything is simple to grasp. They bring you along slowly. There are something like 15 difficulty levels. If you put it on Easy, you'll never die, but you'll level up slower. It's one of the only games in memory I can recall where I pushed the difficulty to the absolute max I could handle, because of seasons and different rewards. The good thing is, "difficulty" is directly tied to "how good is the gear I'm wearing?". When you start, "Hard" could be considered hard by some. Before long, you're on Torment V just face-melting everything with laser beams.

I introduced a buddy of mine to Diablo 3 a couple of years ago, and now he's some insane person who can grind through a season when it releases in a day and a half. If you haven't played it, it is a MUST buy.

Perfect game to play for 10 minutes or 10 hours. If you've never played it, and you don't hate the subject matter (warriors, magic, etc.), then there's zero reason put it off any longer.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

TCrouch wrote:It is a no-brainer. It's simple to get into, everything is simple to grasp. They bring you along slowly. There are something like 15 difficulty levels. If you put it on Easy, you'll never die, but you'll level up slower. It's one of the only games in memory I can recall where I pushed the difficulty to the absolute max I could handle, because of seasons and different rewards. The good thing is, "difficulty" is directly tied to "how good is the gear I'm wearing?". When you start, "Hard" could be considered hard by some. Before long, you're on Torment V just face-melting everything with laser beams.

I introduced a buddy of mine to Diablo 3 a couple of years ago, and now he's some insane person who can grind through a season when it releases in a day and a half. If you haven't played it, it is a MUST buy.

Perfect game to play for 10 minutes or 10 hours. If you've never played it, and you don't hate the subject matter (warriors, magic, etc.), then there's zero reason put it off any longer.
Thanks! Sounds like a good fit. I have a couple long plane rides ahead of me, so this should get some mileage (literally).

A lot of really good games on the horizon for the Switch actually:

-Fire Emblem
-Link's Awakening
-Bayonetta 3
-Luigi's Mansion
-Animal Crossing
etc...

Nintendo seems to be like that - one amazing year (2017), followed by a somewhat slow year (2018) and then back to fantastic again. I remember it happening with the Wii as well.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Picked up Dragon Quest Builders 2 yesterday after playing the demo a few days ago. Absolutely a perfect fit for the Switch. It's also available for the PS4 (slightly better performance and visuals), but can't beat the portability. What an excellent, fun, and humorous RPG style game. Think Minecraft esque looking but with unique characters and story telling. It'll definitely hold me over until Animal Crossing comes out next spring.