Dirt Rally 2.0 coming 26 February 2019

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Dirt Rally 2.0 coming 26 February 2019

Post by Wilk5280 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wilk5280 wrote:I've been down hard with the flu and finally got to run a couple of stages. I don't know if it's my setup (LG OLED55B6) or what, but lighting effects are very distracting and it also appears to be a terrible implementation of HDR. Everything is really bright or extremely dark, to the point I can't even see the road. Transition from bright to dark is distracting and doesn't look realistic at all.

I've got to think I've got something going on with my setup because I haven't seen anything about it. Frustrating for sure and enough of a distraction that if I don't figure it out I won't play the game much on this set. It's terrible (the lighting effects)
Guess you didn't read my post above...complained about the lighting effects as well, and I'm just on a standard 4K tv w/ the OneX.
I did miss that, my bad. These seems worse than pixelated shadows though. I mean it gets so dark that I literally cannot see the road, and that's with brightness maxed out in game.

I logged in the other day and I saw a message apologizing for the poor server performance over opening weekend and that so many credits had been added to my account. Problem is I didn't get them. Anyone else have this happen?
GT = Wilk5280

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Wilk5280 wrote:I logged in the other day and I saw a message apologizing for the poor server performance over opening weekend and that so many credits had been added to my account. Problem is I didn't get them. Anyone else have this happen?
No. But I bought the standard edition, which wasn't available until release day Tuesday.

Regarding the lighting, there were some stages I ran last night in the USA that were dark, with heavy rain. But I also crushed two of my four headlights in the previous stage, so that probably was a bigger culprit for me.

I've only raced historic and older cars on dark stages. Those cars' lights didn't have anywhere near the power of the halogen beams used by current WRC and upper-level rally cars. Are you having trouble with lighting even with modern cars?
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

So is there a way for us to create a DSP Rally? I have not been able to figure it out. There is definitely not a website up yet for DR 2.0 like the one linked below.

https://www.dirtgame.com/leagues

Are you all running the Daily's and Weekly's? I am not seeing anyone on my friends list filter when I check the results.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

DChaps wrote:Are you all running the Daily's and Weekly's? I am not seeing anyone on my friends list filter when I check the results.
So far I'm only doing Career Rally and Rallycross. I've tried to do a Daily or Weekly, but my car that's eligible for most of those is tied up in my Career Rally, and I don't want to blow earned credits on another historic car just so I can do those. Would rather save to buy more modern machinery.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Waiting for a sale. I'm expecting that I'll be pretty terrible and I don't want to spend $60 plus on a game that's going to stress me out. :lol: It's also disappointing to read that you have to be online to even play the career mode.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

sportdan30 wrote:Waiting for a sale. I'm expecting that I'll be pretty terrible and I don't want to spend $60 plus on a game that's going to stress me out. :lol: It's also disappointing to read that you have to be online to even play the career mode.
Smart move. The game is pretty shallow for a $60 title. But the driving model and physics are unmatched -- a day one purchase for a racing and rally zealot like me.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

This review of DIRT Rally 2.0 hits the bull’s eye. The game is hard, but not unfair and impossible:

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2019/3/ ... c-xbox-one

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The more I played this game over the weekend, the more I realized it might be the most sublime driving experience I've enjoyed on a console.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I think any skills I used to have with a gamepad have evaporated. I didn't have ANY fun with this game the couple times I tried. I played my first session in a Rally with one of the old cars and the 70 AI and breezed to a 9 second win over 2 stages.

Not sure what I was on that day, because every time I've tried since, the camera bounces all over the place (even with it at minimum), to where I have a hard time understanding what the car is doing. I changed to both cameras, and don't really get a view that I can control the car with. I can use the hood cam, but to this point, I haven't been able to enjoy the game at all.

Not sure what's happened, but I really WANT to like it...I just don't, yet.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Do you lose the ability to change the difficulty after you start a career? I don't see anywhere that I can change the difficulty settings so whatever I'm running is on default. I see where I can turn traction control, etc on but no difficulty setting where I see you all mention 70%.

Until they patch the darkness of the shadows I'm not sure how much I'll play this game. It's just terrible that in the middle of the day I can't see the road due to extremely dark shadows, and that's with the game's brightness turned all the way up. It's just not a fun game, which sucks because rally racing games are one of my favorite genres.
GT = Wilk5280

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I noticed the darkness on a New Zealand stage last night. Really bad in a couple of spots. We're talking 100 feet down in a mine shaft dark.

About the only blemish on an otherwise flawless game. Hope that issue is patched.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

It can get very dark in New England in the woods as well, and depending on time of day, weather conditions, etc., it is quite a challenge to see where you are going even if you turn on your headlights. The steering controls/FFB with a wheel is really lacking, which just baffles me considering it was pretty good in the original, but in spite of that I am still enjoying the game immensely. And I suck, I mean really suck, and I am honestly starting to wonder if my old age is starting to get the best of me. I can't find any place to change the AI either, so it must be at default, but my first career rally I was dead last against the AI and a good 45 seconds behind next to last place. I have been trying to do all the Dailiy's, and so far I am usually 25 or so from dead last, in the world, across all systems (Xbox One, PS4, PC). Is there a tier award for trying hard and still sucking? I think I have made it out of the last award tier once. It's hard to believe I am that bad. I have read some reviews where it talks about the AI being way too easy. I am not seeing that at all. While I was originally upset about no Monaco, Sweden, Finland, Wales, etc., I really like the new environments. They are all very different and the wide range of weather conditions and time of day make each rally interesting. Just finishing a 9 Stage Group B Rally felt like an accomplishment even if I was almost last.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I've completed 2 seasons so far. The first one I was using the WRX and got completely toasted by the AI field and came in 2nd to last in points. I didn't have any credits when starting and at the time didn't realize that it was going to cost credits to fix the car at each service, so half the time I was barely getting by paying for repairs with what little I earned each rally. After that season I started at the ground level and demolished the competition.

I know I b*tch about this in every post, but I still can't believe how dark the game is. Baffles my mind that it got released like this. In both career seasons it seems like the majority of my stages were either run at night in the pouring rain or at dusk in cloudy, light rain conditions. The poor weather in almost every stage seems like an artificial attempt at making the game more difficult with poor visibility.

I'm going to go in and try a custom rally and see how that works and hopefully I can select better weather conditions, but right now I can't put this over WRC 7 as a total package. The physics and handling are great, but too many other things that distract from their greatness.
GT = Wilk5280

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The dark daytime stages are bothersome. And I'm starting to detect Codemasters' addiction to rainy, night stages to ramp up the difficulty. Both bad design decisions that hopefully will be patched.

That said, I can't shake DIRT Rally 2.0. The driving model and overall driving experience are MILES better than WRC 7. Not even close.

WRC 7 uses time-worn "center spike pivot" physics common to nearly every rally game besides Richard Burns or the DIRT Rally series. It feels like there is a hidden spike driven through the roof of the car, and the car rotates on that spike whenever you want to turn. The early Colin McRae Rally games had the same problem, too.

I hope Codemasters cleans up a few niggling problems with DIRT Rally 2.0 in an upcoming patch because it's the most superior rally driving experience I've had on a console, by some distance. Just nirvana.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

I agree about the physics. Even with the frustrating lack of FFB/feel with a steering wheel, it is still a very challenging, fun, realistic feeling, and predictable driving model. Just like you said Paul, when I mess up, I know why I've messed up. The tarmac still does not feel quite right, especially with a wheel, but seems maybe a little better than the original DiRT.

The darkness is annoying I agree. I have had some offs on daytime stages where the game put me in a spot where I literally could not see which way to go, even if I turned my headlights on. I am starting to think headlights don't really work unless it is in fact a night stage.

One way to get credits relatively quickly is to do the Daily and Weekly Challenges. I suck and I have still already acquired over 1 million credits and that is on top of the 1 million I got for being a beta tester for Racenet, I mean Deluxe Edition owner. :) You can also start with a Rallycross career. You will get more credits quickly. After completely getting destroyed in my first career rally, I decided to run these Daily's first and get more credits built up and my car's upgraded before trying again. Can't stop playing this game. When I am on it, which is rare, it feels so good!

PS - I am really enjoying Rallycross. I never gave it much attention in the original, but got into Rallycross when it was released in iRacing. The Rallycross in DiRT Rally 2.0 is really fun. Check out this comparison video of Trois-Rivières from @ARXRallycross:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1102547406753804288

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/34 ... ent-405532
Hi all,

Thanks for all of your feedback so far. Just to let you know, we're working on a patch to address some of the most pressing issues that have been raised here. As soon as I have notes on confirmed fixes, I'll share them with you ASAP.

We're also looking into FFB as a priority, as we're aware a lot of you have raised concerns about how this feels. However, we just want to make clear that there is no easy fix for this; anything we change will affect all vehicles, surfaces and peripherals, so we have to be very thorough to ensure any changes we make will be positive across the board.

Cheers,
Christina
Hmm....This does not sound good from an FFB standpoint. This sounds like the current implementation is as intended, not some oversight that got bothced up in the final release build. Which also makes me wonder why none of the pre-release wheel user videos (there were tons of them) rarely or never mentioned anything about the lack of decent FFB. This sounds like a design decision, not a bug, and if you look at the forums, it is across the board, all different types of wheel users from Thrustmaster to Logitech to Fanatec to Direct Drive custom deals, etc. - They are all reporting the same thing. So did their Rally experts who tested and helped develop the game think this is realistic? Did none of the beta testers report this? These are legitimate questions as I am no FFB expert nor have I raced rally in real life, so I am willing to accept that maybe the current implementation is more "correct".

As much of a sim racing junkie I am, I have never been able to really decipher how FFB is supposed to work, all the behind the scenes technical details (ie Project Cars/Project Cars 2 config). I just go by what feels good to me. And to be honest, some of the games that I think had good out of the box FFB, are ones that have been panned by the community. For example, I think FM7 and FH4 are just about perfect. I thought Dirt Rally 1, F1 2018 and WRC 7 are pretty good. I think the Project Cars games are not great with FFB no matter what wheel you have and what configurations you do. I think the Nascar Heat games have been bad to mediocre in the FFB realm. I think iRacing is good depending on the car/track combo and which build it is, and what tweaking you are willing to do, but it is too much work for me.

The truth is the FFB on my Thrustmaster TX 458 Italia may not be that realistic in DiRT Rally 1, but it made me feel like I was in a rally car, and I felt every bump and surface change and was usually somewhat worn out after a rally. In DiRT Rally 2.0, I can still enjoy the game, but I really feel very little if at all, when surface changes, when shifting gears, when hitting something, when in wet weather vs dry. Really no change at all. There is FFB, but no matter how much I tweak it, it just does not give me the same sense of satisfaction when using the wheel in some of the other games mentioned above. I am just curious if none of this was reported by beta testers or if this is in fact considered a more realistic interpretation of the real world. It could be that I have just gotten use to what I think good FFB is supposed to be, but with all the negative feedback across many forums and many varied levels of sim racers (amateurs like me to hardcore) I have a hard time believing that they were not aware of the potential backlash.

Oh well, I am still enjoying the hell out of the game so hopefully a patch sometime in the future.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I hope one of the issues Codemasters is working on is the darkness in some of the stages. That's starting to grate me a bit more. Either that, or make the headlight beams more intense, even on historic cars. I've seen videos of historic rally cars, and some of the headlight racks were BLINDING.

Still LOVE this game!

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Patch coming today for DiRT Rally 2.0

No release notes yet as to what is in it and if it is for all consoles and PC or PC first, but some kind of patch coming today.

https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/17 ... ent-408607
Hi all,

Just popping into this thread with less gossip, but more a heads up - the patch is confirmed to go live at 11am tomorrow!

RaceNet will go down for maintenance (for a maximum of an hour) while we patch the game, so please make sure you're not in game when that happens as it could compromise event times uploading to the server. I'll be back early tomorrow morning with a Road Book featuring patch notes and some information about what we've tweaked server side too - as well as more info on how we're doing with FFB.

Looking forward to getting the fixes and the info out to you.

Cheers,
Christina

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Patch v1.2 is out for Xbox One, PS4, and PC on Steam

10gb on Xbox One, downloading now:

DiRT Rally 2.0 Road Book – 20/03/19

http://blog.codemasters.com/community/0 ... -20-03-19/
Hi all, and welcome back to the DiRT Rally 2.0 Road Book! It’s been a busy few weeks here; we’ve been working around the clock to bring you Season One’s new content, as well as working through your feedback and working on our first patch for DiRT Rally 2.0. We hope you’ve been loving playing the game so far, and we’re excited to bring you the first wave of fixes and changes!

Today, v1.2 releases at 11am – at which point, RaceNet will go down for maintenance – so please make sure you’re not playing the game when 11am comes around as it could compromise your event times uploading to the server. We’re expecting to be back up and running by 12pm, so don’t worry – it’ll be a maximum of an hour’s down time before you can get back to being DiRTy!

For those of you keen to know what today’s update will bring, the full list of notes is below:

• Stability improvements across all modes
• Prevented negative times from posting to leaderboards
• OSD Dial can now be enabled in headcam
• New engine audio for Citroen C3 R5 and Ford Mustang GT4
• ‘Upgraded’ trophy/achievement will now unlock
• Darkness issue resolved when using interior cameras
• Softlock will no longer occur if user owns too many vehicles
• Proximity indicators are now available for rallycross
• Prevented exploit for claiming rewards multiple times
• Podium counter will now correctly update in My Team
• Prevented audio cut outs
• Joker Lap cut-scene is now skippable
• Custom online will no longer disconnect users in specific conditions
• Improvements and corrections to text (all languages)
• Improvements to subtitle content
• Accented characters will be entered correctly in user text fields

Please let us know if you’ve seen anything slip through the cracks on the official bug report threads for v1.2, which can be found in the usual places on Steam and on our forums. We’re always listening on our social media channels too, so if there’s anything you’re concerned about – you know where to find us.

Server-side, we’ve also tuned frequency of night stages and bad weather stages. We know a lot of you were reporting that the occurrence of dark/wet stages was a little too frequent, so we’ve done some tweaking to ensure a few more dry and day stages.

For those of you who are questioning the size of the patch: some good news! Even if you’re not a Deluxe Edition user, you will be able to access the new environments in multiplayer. So, for example: if one of your friends has set up a rally lobby with Monte Carlo – you too will be able to enjoy Monte Carlo, even if you haven’t bought Monte Carlo! We can’t promise you’ll be any better at it than your pals – after all, you’ll have slightly less practice – but we wanted to make sure we weren’t restricting multiplayer lobbies by cutting people off to this content.

Once our new locations are out, we’re also planning on running some taster Community Events – so stay tuned for when they’ll start to happen too.

Finally: as we’ve mentioned on our forums, we’re continuing to investigate the concerns some of you have raised with FFB. We’re taking your feedback incredibly seriously, and we are giving this the time and investigation it deserves. We know we need to strike a fine balance between the large number of players who are happy with the FFB, and those of you who want an experience closer to the original DiRT Rally. We’ll continue to keep you informed of our progress – and once we’re happy with the update, we’re hoping to announce plans which will enable some of you to playtest it before we roll it out to everyone.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Needed changes for darkness and excessive night/rain stages. Thank you, Codies!

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Doesn't affect bumper/hood cam or whatever it's called. Still way too dark :(
GT = Wilk5280

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Wilk5280 wrote:Doesn't affect bumper/hood cam or whatever it's called. Still way too dark :(
Don't drive in external cameras like a peasant. :lol:

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I hear ya. I turn off the hud stuff (co-driver calls, timer, etc), but some reason with CMR I just like the hood/bumper cam over the in-car cam as I can usually see more of what's going on. Sounds like I'm going to have to go back to the in-car cam so I can actually see now. Whatever works I guess. :)
GT = Wilk5280

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

DiRT Rally 2.0 Update Released with Monte Carlo DLC

The latest update for DiRT Rally 2.0 has been released along with the updated version of Monte Carlo (DLC).

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/ ... ed.166559/
Martin Fiala:

Oh wow. I only had a couple of runs at Pra d'Alart to be able to get a video out in the morning hopefully, but I can say I'm *thoroughly* impressed. I absolutely love the way it feels and handles and I don't really care how realistic or unrealistic it is. I doesn't matter we've already spent hundreds of hours on these stages, they still feel *very* different (and you have to approach them different in many ways) due to the very much enhanced road surface variation. You can absolutely tell the difference between the various surfaces in how the car handles, and you can also very distinctly feel it through the wheel - each of the surfaces feels different and the feedback about what the car is doing is great. Especially the parts where there are snow and ice patches on the road are really tricky and you certainly have your hands full if you happen upon one mid-corner.

So yeah, absolutely loving it so far. Definitely well worth the few euro they ask for it, might be the best content for DR2 so far in fact.
ShredatorFIN:

@Martin Fiala Yep Monte Carlo is a blast. You can actually feel the ice patches having way less grip. Very well done actually. Really have to mind where you put your pedals down, and where to place the car on the road. Full snow feels more realistic than Dirty Rally too.

I have gotten used to the FFB, it's worse than DR1 but the physics are so much better. The tarmac not being as terrible as before helps enjoying Monte Carlo in a new way too.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

VR for DiRT Rally 2.0: Available Now on Oculus and Steam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... W0mGB7aDpY

http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/08/vr- ... rally-2-0/
Today’s update makes the virtual a reality with the release of DiRT Rally 2.0 on Oculus, and the addition of OpenVR support to the Steam version. Ever since VR was teased many months ago it’s been at the top of the community’s wishlist and now it’s here. This is the perfect time to revisit the game or jump in for the very first time. You can read more about the announcement in our press Release over on Codemasters.com, and you can buy the Oculus version here.

The Oculus version of DiRT Rally 2.0 also contains a set of exclusive Community Challenges, and exclusive liveries for 5 cars:

Naturally with today’s news there will be a number of PlayStation fans who are wondering if a PSVR version of DiRT Rally 2.0 will become available. There are no plans to add PSVR support to DiRT Rally 2.0.

DirtFish Liveries & Test Drive Location: Free for all Players

Also available in Version 1.7 today is a whole bunch of free content!

DirtFish has been added to DiRT Rally 2.0 as a Test Drive location, and with it come a bunch of new liveries. To access the location select [Garage] from the My Team main menu, and then [Vehicle Options] and [Test Drive].

DirtFish is expected to be added to Freeplay in a future update. There are currently no plans to add it to Multiplayer.
I don't post enough here anymore about racing sims, but Codemasters has greatly improved DiRT Rally 2.0 over multiple patches these past few months, including the FFB, addition of leagues, Monte Carlo, Sweden, Germany, Wales, etc. I can't wait to try the VR!

Edit: Yikes, just saw this in the Race Department forums and of course I bought the Steam version on sale and have an Oculus Rift. Damn......

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/ ... 253/page-3
CAUTION: Steam version only has OpenVR, and it doesn't run great. If you want native Oculus mode with native performance, you need to buy from Oculus store.
Dirt Rally 2.0 VR first impressions with Oculus Rift:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... IFugh-aPlk