Racing Season 2019 (Spoiler Alert)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Racing Season 2019 (Spoiler Alert)

Post by Rodster »

It looks like "rumor" there's a big shakeup at Ferrari before the F1 season begins. Mattia Binotto is set to replace Maurizio Arrivederci. He's definitely a cool dude but way too many strategy screw ups and out-strategized last year from pit wall and he's the team principal so it's up to him to put the right people in place so that doesn't happen.

It appears Binotto who I read/learned isn't Italian although you would think from a last name like his was in high demand to switch teams, most notably Mercedes so it appears Ferrari is keeping him in house with a promotion. As technical director for two years he produced two quick cars and last year Ferrari should have won both Championships if not for team and driver errors.
Last edited by Rodster on Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Season 2019

Post by F308GTB »

And we are off with the first live stream of the year, a good lineup of GT cars for the 24 Hours of Dubai.

https://youtu.be/wEz-xBixEG4

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

F308GTB wrote:And we are off with the first live stream of the year, a good lineup of GT cars for the 24 Hours of Dubai.

https://youtu.be/wEz-xBixEG4
Isn't that the same track in Forza 7?

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Man I’m pumped for the Rolex 24 this weekend. Great teams, manufacturers, drivers, and stories this year.

Probably the first time my rooting interests fall mostly on the GT categories. Really want to see Zanardi get a Rolex and the the #57 NSX has some bad-ass women behind the wheel.

Crazy that it took this long for the Eagle Toyota track record to fall, if you have time it is worth checking out Marshall Pruett’s podcast with PJ Jones reminiscing about that beast of a machine.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Capt Morgan needs to try the Daytona 500 next year.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Rodster wrote:Capt Morgan needs to try the Daytona 500 next year.

Dude you have such a man crush...

"Suddenly your in love"

Its okay though...

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

XXXIV wrote:
Rodster wrote:Capt Morgan needs to try the Daytona 500 next year.

Dude you have such a man crush...

"Suddenly your in love"

Its okay though...
I call and raise your BS because my post history knows how I feel about the little f**k. I'm a HUGE racing fan and in my lifetime, I would love to see someone pull off a motor racing triple crown and even better i'd love to see someone pull off a quadruple crown and the only driver in the mix is Capt Morgan. I'm also an even bigger Ferrari fan and even though i'm not a Vettel fan, again note my post history, I would love to see him or Leclerc win the WDC for Ferrari.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

According to this article it looks like Formula 1 could be up for sale. If it's true it wouldn't surprise me but what did surprise me was how quick Liberty Media got rid of Bernie Eccelstone who still had some influence within the paddock. So far, there have been no new teams, no new sponsors, no new engine mfg and no Miami GP which Liberty was desperately trying to get. They spent $8 billion to buy F1 and now just a few years in they are looking to unload it or at least reduce it's stake in the series.

The thing that gets me is that since Jean Todt has been FIA president F1 has killed the sound and just made F1 a sterile, boring motorsport series. People go to races to be entertained and to hear load cars. F1 is doing everything it can to self implode just my 0.02 cents.

Then again this could all be a play and getting the teams onboard with their ideas but given the global financial climate you would think F1 teams even Mercedes and Ferrari would embrace cost cutting and savings.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/formula-1 ... in-report/

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Removing Bernie Ecclestone from the F1 paddock was the biggest breath of fresh air needed for that series. Bernie should have been ousted 10 years ago.

In the last 10 years of his reign, Bernie:

-- Made deals with banana republics for races in regions with no racing lineage while stripping the sport of much of its great European lineage
-- Included mandatory 10 percent annual escalator clauses in the sanctioning agreement with every race except for Monaco, which put F1 out of financial reach of many classic circuits and more into the hands of corrupt oligarchs
-- Conducted a GP happily in Bahrain, one of the worst human rights abusers on Earth
-- Refused to acknowledge digital media and social media as legitimate platforms, putting F1 miles behind other major sports properties online
-- Allowed a deal that generated more guaranteed income for Ferrari than any other team

Bernie played a HUGE role in the global growth of F1 through winning the FISA-FOCA war over Balestre and then overseeing the exploding commercial rights of the sport. But despite all of his history as a true racer, Bernie's hunger for more money and power in the 2000s obscured any good he did for the sport in the 80s and 90s. He tried to run a modern global sport with a 1980s mindset. It was more than time for him to go.

Liberty is just a disguised asset-stripper, much like CVC and SLEC were under Bernie.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I do agree with your assessment of Bernie, however Bernie was "The Godfather" of Formula 1 i.e. he kept the troops in check whether they liked his decisions or not. My current view of Formula 1 is that it's devoid of leadership and every team feels the rules should be in their favor. Bernie wanted no part of the fart sounding engines currently in Formula 1.

If Liberty had kept Bernie around a little longer perhaps they could have pulled off a few of their ideas because Bernie knows how to deal with the teams. So far the four engine mfgs don't want competition so forget Cosworth, Porsche or VW entering F1. I don't think Liberty will get anything close to a true cost-cap because the teams just don't have the kind of respect they had for Bernie. I could be way off base but that's the vibe i'm getting when the team principals speak to the media.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:If Liberty had kept Bernie around a little longer perhaps they could have pulled off a few of their ideas because Bernie knows how to deal with the teams. So far the four engine mfgs don't want competition so forget Cosworth, Porsche or VW entering F1. I don't think Liberty will get anything close to a true cost-cap because the teams just don't have the kind of respect they had for Bernie. I could be way off base but that's the vibe i'm getting when the team principals speak to the media.
Why the hell would a new regime that bought F1 from Bernie want him around? Liberty bought F1 to strip assets, which it never will admit, and also to bring new thinking and modern digital promotion into the sport. Those are two things Bernie NEVER did and NEVER would do.

Liberty keeping Bernie would be about as logical as Trump naming Obama as one of his cabinet secretaries. It's just not how business works after a sale/semi-hostile takeover.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I wasn't aware that L.M. was asset stripping. If that's the case then the series is in big trouble once everyone figures out what they're doing.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:I wasn't aware that L.M. was asset stripping. If that's the case then the series is in big trouble once everyone figures out what they're doing.
Liberty just bought F1 in September 2016. If rumors are true, it already is putting the sport up for sale less than three years later, presuming it will earn more than what it paid.

That's not technically asset stripping, since Liberty isn't selling off pieces of F1 at a profit. It's selling the whole thing, presumably at a profit. So I stand corrected.

But any group that supposedly wanted to revolutionize the sport but instead is flipping it either is beyond frustrated at the Byzantine nature of the sport and its abhorrence of change, or it just wants to earn a quick buck. There may be a bit of both at work with Liberty.

It's easier for a battleship to pull a U-turn in a harbor than for F1's owners to enact financial reform.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

PK, I don't know if you saw the link I posted? That's the only website that mentioned it that i've come across the story.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/formula-1 ... in-report/

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I don't really give a sh*t who runs F1, to be honest. I just want better racing among more teams without everything becoming too artificial.

That said, track promoters also are unhappy with Liberty:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/race ... a/4330141/

Add Liberty to a long list of companies that made millions or billions in other industries and think it can walk in, wave a magic wand and revolutionize the way business is done in motor racing. It's not that simple.

I've worked in professional motorsports for more than 25 years, and there are many aspects of the racing business that can only be learned in the garage area or paddock, not in a board room where profit-and-loss statements are gospel.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

First car unveiled, it's HAAS. Supposedly they are getting a main sponsor so I don't know if the HAAS will be replaced on the sidepods. The car looks OK'ish, though it does look better than their previous color scheme.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

The new title sponsor is already on the car, mate, though you might need to squint a bit in that light. It is Rich Energy, "a premium and innovative energy drink" which, their website tells me, is "a brilliantly made elite drink for the discerning customer". What makes it so is not made apparent. Indeed, it costs less than a can of Red Bull, or a can of Monster, or a can of any other sugary concoction you care to name. In fact, it effectively costs nothing because despite their having apparently produced 90 million cans of the stuff, stockists are rarer than a Milka Duno hot lap.

Still, never mind. Car looks nice enough in a knock-off JPS kind of a way.

Over at Williams, they seem to be taking the knock-off livery thing to its extreme by copying one of the fake liveries from Racing Simulation Monaco Grand Prix 2. Nothing particularly offensive about it, but I can see someone in the graphic design team asking, "Will what the work experience kid knocked together do for this year, Claire?"

Elsewhere, is Pato's departure from Harding Steinbrenner about funds that didn't materialise, an engine that didn't ever exist on a full-season basis, or both?
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Claire Williams just said that if Frank did not like the new car colors "he would've fired me". I have some good news for you Claire. If he didn't fire you for making a once proud racing team totally irrelevant and if doing battle with McLaren for the last spot on the grid is called 'a job well done', then you're job is safe.

That said, the new color scheme looks decent.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GB_Simo wrote:Elsewhere, is Pato's departure from Harding Steinbrenner about funds that didn't materialise, an engine that didn't ever exist on a full-season basis, or both?
Only one full-time engine lease, which went to Herta. Andretti offered Pato an eight-race deal for 2019, which he declined. So Andretti aren't the bad guys here.
Last edited by pk500 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The color scheme changed slightly on McLaren's new car. I hope it's faster and more reliable than last years car. The front wings on these cars still look ridiculous, i.e. "Cow Catchers". At least they've been simplified, lets see if that translate to better racing and overtaking though I doubt it.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The Halo still looks more ridiculous than any front wing design. Always will.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

And Ferrari is up next with their car. I can't say I like it but it's a darker red with black color scheme and it appears to be a "matte" red finish unless i'm looking at it wrong.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Remove the fin atop the engine cover, the halo, the ridiculous front wing and the square barge boards, and an F1 car just might be attractive.

God, they're ugly. All angles and edges. Especially compared to this generation's sensual, flowing Indy car.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Now that's a beautiful looking race car! (see post above)

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

pk500 wrote:Remove the fin atop the engine cover, the halo, the ridiculous front wing and the square barge boards, and an F1 car just might be attractive.

God, they're ugly. All angles and edges. Especially compared to this generation's sensual, flowing Indy car.

Barely been paying attention to the F1 speak, but that's one pretty f'n car there.