OT: Time for me to move out of Los Angeles.

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Time for me to move out of Los Angeles.

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Not really LA but still hope all is well w the Nor Cal DSP guys after this mornings quake.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Well it's been a rough few days in good old Los Angeles. The Hill Fire was started about two miles from my house. The neighbor across the street (with the red car) is a firefighter who wasn't home. He called me directly and said you've got ten minutes before the fire gets to our street, get out of your house. I packed up some stuff, went and check on his wife who has a 5 month old, and then I got the hell out of there. Thankfully, as this pic was taken, the wind had shifted to the west, so it went along that mountain range behind our street and missed our neighborhood. If I had taken that pic about 5 min. early, the smoke and wind was blowing directly over our house.

As I was driving away, I saw three fixed wing aircraft coming over the neighbor hood. Two dropped the fire retardant (the pink line on the mountain) to prevent it from spreading into the businesses. They also dropped a line on the road that separated the flames in that pic above, and our neighborhood. So holy crap that was close and only great work by the firefighters prevented a disaster for my neighborhood.

So my night was interesting. I went and picked up my son and we went to my parents house which just happened to be a block from where the deadly Boarderline Bar and Grill shooting happened the night before. Thousand Oaks has NOT had a good week. So we hunkered down at my dad's house and then three other friends families showed up at my dad's because they got evacuated from cities to the EAST...the Woolsey Fire. That fire ended up getting us evacuated from my parents house at 3am...mandatory evac orders. So we came back to my house because it seemed like the fire had mostly been contained by my house. The Woolsey fire is the one you're all seeing on the news that did all the damage out here. It's STILL burning today...here's the view from my house right now. Pretty big flareup.

Thankfully the wind is blowing out to the ocean (which is right behind that mountain) but there are quite a few more homes threatened. Hopefully we don't get more wind direction changes.

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

Just incredible--we just see what the news gives us so your first hand report is so telling. A few yards closer and a shift in winds is all it takes. Stay safe.
Tony

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I feel for you guys, stay safe! I don't know what's worse dealing with massive wildfires and fire tornados or having to deal with Super Hurricanes. I had to evacuate last year since I live 3 blks from the beach and Hurricane Irma was heading towards SW Florida.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Stay safe, man. My brother (who lives and has his business in Chico, CA) is dealing with the Camp Fire at the same time. He had employees and even some of his in-laws and ex-in-laws who lived in Paradise, and they all lost their homes. His place stayed safe, but there's still the looming threat of wind shifts that make this horrific to view from so far away.

Hope it stays away from your place, Scott.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It's like plane race track above our house right now...just making run after run at the top of that mountain.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:Stay safe, man. My brother (who lives and has his business in Chico, CA) is dealing with the Camp Fire at the same time. He had employees and even some of his in-laws and ex-in-laws who lived in Paradise, and they all lost their homes. His place stayed safe, but there's still the looming threat of wind shifts that make this horrific to view from so far away.

Hope it stays away from your place, Scott.
I cannot imagine how that Camp Fire was...I mean it completely destroyed an entire city. Just devastating. It's a warzone out here, as bad as that comparison is.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Damn. Stay safe, DB. The fire near you missed the house of a former co-worker and close friend by about 100 yards. The margins of Mother Nature are incredible.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Just move to the South. We rarely ever turn on a heater, much less wear a jacket. Besides, you could afford 5 times the house and property compared to LA.. :D . But seriously, stay safe, Scott.
Last edited by Teal on Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Stay safe DB,
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Be safe dude. Crazy stuff.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

DB - Was thinking about you during all of this and wondering how you were doing. Crazy sh*t. Hoping for the best.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Spooky wrote:DB - Was thinking about you during all of this and wondering how you were doing. Crazy sh*t. Hoping for the best.
We're all good now Spooky...but it was hairy that first day/night w/ the shooting and the fires. Most of the hills around my area are completely scorched so it's really a concern if we actually do get a little rain this winter...mudslides! So we will see how it goes.

I talked to my neighbor across the street (the one w/ the red car in the garage)...and he said when he called me, it was almost a guarantee that our block would be destroyed...he just undersold it to not freak me out, just in case the wind changed like it did. So thankfully he didn't tell me that.

The one thing this event has done, and yes it's cliche' for sure, has brought the community together. The kids schools have been closed and will continue to be closed through the Thanksgiving break, so that has put a lot of parents in a bind because of child care and things of that sort. There are a ton of gyms and businesses that whipped together some camps for the kids to attend...some for free...so the parents are freed from worry about them. My son went to one at Sports Academy and they had almost 600 kids that day. All for free...with literally a parking lot full of donations to distribute throughout the community. All restaurants have First Responders Eat Free notices in their windows and everyone just really came together. It's stupid that this type of has to happen to REALLY come together as a community but it does.

I mean the newspaper here says it all really:

Thanks for the message Spooky!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

My prayers go to you and to those that particularly lost their homes. Must be devastating for those victims to see their homes in ruins. To those brave firefighters that work tirelessly everyday to contain the damage. We have a lot of wildfires here in BC during the summer and there's just an overwhelming feeling of hopelessness when mother nature turns for the worst. I think there's more fear of lives being lost to mudslides, so here's hoping that everyone in that community can stay safe.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Glad you and yours are safe db.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210