The Beautiful Game thread, season 2018/19

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Beautiful Game thread, season 2018/19

Post by dbdynsty25 »

That Inter/Tottenham game was epic. Two goals by Inter in the last six minutes to send the Spurs home with the 2-1 loss. What a game. Too bad DirecTV only carries the Galavision feed which is in Spanish. But damn if it wasn't more exciting!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

That's futbol for you. You never know the outcome when you have lethal strikers in your team such as Mauro Icardi. What a volley. He's been pretty much absent in the game and I thought that Inter deserved better in the first half.

Spurs are struggling lately.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

What a game. Whoa.

I still standby my statement that Kane and Salah are two of the most overrated footballers out there. They can't create a damn thing for themselves and make stupid errors. Salah almost cost Liverpool the game. Thankfully my boy Firmino came on and iced it.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Harry Kane has everything, a complete player. Maybe you need to watch a few more games.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Holy f*ck, what a match. Henderson and Milner were beasts in the midfield, especially in the first half. PSG came alive when DiMaria came off and Neymar moved to the middle.

What drama by Firminho. Did I see Salah throw his water bottle in disgust on the bench when the guy who subbed for him scores the winner?

Neymar is a superb player, but the dude never will play in England because he did so little under constant pressure and physical play in the first 80 minutes. Mbappe is a BEAST who could dominate any league in the world. What speed, strength and skill.

What a fun match!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Zero track back from Neymar , it looks so bad. Agree on Mbappe hes a beast and at 19 my word has the world at his feet.
Has to be the next record signing .

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Harry Kane has everything, a complete player. Maybe you need to watch a few more games.
I’ve watched him enough to know he’s overrated. I like Erikson significantly more.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

pk500 wrote:Holy f*ck, what a match. Henderson and Milner were beasts in the midfield, especially in the first half. PSG came alive when DiMaria came off and Neymar moved to the middle.

What drama by Firminho. Did I see Salah throw his water bottle in disgust on the bench when the guy who subbed for him scores the winner?

Neymar is a superb player, but the dude never will play in England because he did so little under constant pressure and physical play in the first 80 minutes. Mbappe is a BEAST who could dominate any league in the world. What speed, strength and skill.

What a fun match!
The first half was videogame football. Unbelievable speed and skill at every turn. The second half PSG were abject. They get the goal completely against the run of play. There firepower is unbelievable, but their play across the pitch was unbelievably poor given the level of spending and talent they have. Not only will 2 of their 3 forwards not track back, they won't press either. Cavani is out there trying to do the running of all 3. Their midfield were nowhere near up for it.

That was the farthest thing from the kind of football Tuchel made his bones coaching. There aren't many teams that can deal with Liverpool, but a side which is used to turning up every week, knocking it about and letting their high-flying front-three see off all challengers is particularly ill-suited to facing that kind of pressure.

None of this is meant to detract from Liverpool's effort, which was fuc&ing magnificent! :D
As cutting as they were last season, there's a steel to their spine which is amazing. At one point early in the match, we were lined up four-deep to kick Neymar right up his kiester just for sport. It was glorious!
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Can't believe I chose Spurs as my team about 15 years ago when I got into this sport!

Their play really opened up after they scored, but they collapsed once again late in the game. I thought Kane was quite decent when he had the ball - good hold up play for the most part. He did blow a great opportunity to score however.

Moura is a revelation however - not sure I remember a Spurs player with that much pace? I guess he needs to start. But how do you balance your attack with him, Kane, Son, Eriksen, Ali? They need some more midfield controlling players that's for sure. Dier's play has been poor for the most part.

Well, I this is what I signed up for - some top 4 finishes and some exciting CL games (Might have been wiser to pick Liverpool though..lol).

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

dbdynsty25 wrote:What a game. Whoa.

I still standby my statement that Kane and Salah are two of the most overrated footballers out there. They can't create a damn thing for themselves and make stupid errors. Salah almost cost Liverpool the game. Thankfully my boy Firmino came on and iced it.
This is a truly crazy take, db.

Kane is as clinical a finisher as there is in the game. Nobody is out here saying he's as good as the world's elite overall players, so I think he's properly rated. He is a traditional striker, so of course he depends on service. That doesn't mean he's not great or isn't properly rated by fans or pundits.

Salah is a different type of player, ordinarily just as clinical but also able to absolutely skin defenders with the ball at his feet and counterpress effectively as well. I can't believe you really think he can't create for himself. If you haven't seen the games yourself, YouTube is awash in highlight reels that show him beating multiple defenders to finish, or scoring from half-chances that others couldn't. He hasn't done it for as long or as consistently as the top of the mountain players, but he was neck-and-neck with de Bruyne as the best players in the EPL last season.

Both these guys are in less than top form right now, but that's not at all uncommon for guys who featured very heavily in WC qualifying and then finals over the summer, one of whom played through those with a significant injury. And form is temporary in any event.

I love Bobby Chompers to pieces and he's wildly underrated, but that doesn't mean that those other two players aren't world class in their own rights.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I know I’m in the minority...there’s no doubt about that. That’s part of why I feel so strongly. Yes, I’ve only been watching soccer consistently for a few years, so I’m probably speaking out of ignorance, but I just like watching a lot of other strikers significantly more. Maybe Salah and Kane are tired from all of the World Cup and Champions League competitions, so that may be something.

Salah just really has frustrated me so far this season. He gets some garbage goals...but most of the time he’s hogging the ball and neglecting the easy pass for a higher percentage finish. And that’s not even counting the two HORRIBLE passes that directly led to goals for PSG in the last game. Maybe it’s the fan in me being overly critical, so I’ll watch a bit more closely and see if I can see it with him.

Kane’s game just bothers me. He seems to go down too easily, doesn’t seem to make meaningful runs off the ball and always throwing his arms up with Lucas or Deli Ali take the shot instead of passing to him. I haven’t watched nearly as much of him as Salah obviously, so part of it, is I’m not a fan of theirs...so it’s probably sour grapes too.

Everything said...I’m still new. So don’t be offended by the newbie. :)

And to me KDB is easily the best player in the PL. Everything he does is just a joy to watch. And I am no Man City fan. :) Tho I can’t keep my son from wearing his Man City KDB jersey to every soccer practice. Maybe I just appreciate the midfielder more than strikers...could be the issue here.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

All I can think of reading this clown.

Too much FIFA can damage your brain.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Well since a majority of my Kane watching has been in the last year...this article may explain a bit about why he's been average looking to me. Interesting timing since it was posted today after you guys roasted me. LOL.

https://www.theringer.com/soccer/2018/9 ... oals-shots

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

It's a convincing case, although the causation between the injury and the decreased production can't really be established given that it coincides with a summer with no meaningful break.

This conclusion is along the lines of the point I made:
Despite the slump, the current Harry Kane is still the outlier among what is already an incredibly impressive and robust career.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Kane is a notoriously slow starter. This is the first EPL season in which he has scored in August.

Combine that with the fatigue from the World Cup, and the guy needs to be cut some slack. Not to mention he wants to play all 90 minutes of every match. He's not part of a rotation system. Old school -- much respect.

Still, I don't think it would kill Kane if Poch had the balls to tell him to sit out a few games and rest.

I also think the criticism of Salah is unfair. Dude had a career year last year. Yeah, he was less than robust this week against PSG, but the guy still is doing things to free up teammates. Liverpool is unbeaten and looks imperious. What problems?
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

This has become so entertaining.

Its like watching the Office all over again.

With a football theme.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

No idea how Chelsea is so mediocre after watching them today. So much midfield dominance really controlled the game against Liverpool today. If not for the absolutely brilliant strike by Sturridge it was looking like Chelsea was going to get the W. That said, Liverpool had quite a few more chances right on the doorstep only to be denied by defenders on the goal line. Anyway, that was one hell of an entertaining game.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

dbdynsty25 wrote:No idea how Chelsea is so mediocre after watching them today. .
What the f*** are you talking about?

Repeat that "thought" in english.

Thank you.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Tottenham couldn't recover from the 2 early goals it gave up.

Tried to come back but seems like Barca could just find goals when it needed.

Ironic that they've been having more difficulty scoring in La Liga this year than in the CL.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Recap of Liverpool's effort at Napoli this afternoon...

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

RobVarak wrote:Image

Basically. Napoli just would not stop running at them...the defensive line was lucky to hold as long as they did. Literally no real chances for Liverpool all game...Napoli controlled the midfield, easily. That team is pretty stacked...wasn't too excited to see them in UCL in the first place. Tough group.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Only Newcastle could have blown that lead against ManU in the 90th minute. #misery

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

RobVarak wrote:Image

They were resting on the field for todays game?

Maybe?

Hopefully?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Pretty much as expected w Man City and Liverpool. Without KDB Man City looked lost in the midfield but the defense was sound against the Reds attack all game. The Mahrez miss was a heartbreaker for my FIFA ultimate team as I have his One to Watch card. Could have used that upgrade lol.

Fun game to watch to be sure.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Not much happening really when you have a game calling for this much attention. What has Mahrez done so far for City? You want to talk about an overrated player? Give both teams credit for trying to get the 3 points, the intensity was there but not many chances really.