DSP Boxing thread. Ding! Ding!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: DSP Boxing thread. Ding! Ding!

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:Joshua is legit. Big, strong, skilled, can box with power. He's the best heavyweight in the world, proven by knocking out Wlad Klitschko.

Wilder is a pretender right now. Let's see how he fares against Ortiz until we ordain him as the next great American heavyweight hope. The PBC has matched Wilder soft, as it does to all of its pampered stable of fighters.

I echo your thoughts about Fight Night. Miss that franchise. Fight Night Champion was solid. Maybe with boxing ascendant and MMA fading -- at least in American TV ratings -- EA will revive its boxing franchise. Plus boxing is FAR more popular than MMA in Europe and Latin America. In fact, the United States is one of the few regions in the world where MMA is more popular than boxing.
Bring back Fight Night! Can you imagine a story mode?
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Diablo25 wrote:
pk500 wrote:Joshua is legit. Big, strong, skilled, can box with power. He's the best heavyweight in the world, proven by knocking out Wlad Klitschko.

Wilder is a pretender right now. Let's see how he fares against Ortiz until we ordain him as the next great American heavyweight hope. The PBC has matched Wilder soft, as it does to all of its pampered stable of fighters.

I echo your thoughts about Fight Night. Miss that franchise. Fight Night Champion was solid. Maybe with boxing ascendant and MMA fading -- at least in American TV ratings -- EA will revive its boxing franchise. Plus boxing is FAR more popular than MMA in Europe and Latin America. In fact, the United States is one of the few regions in the world where MMA is more popular than boxing.
Bring back Fight Night! Can you imagine a story mode?
Fight Night Champion had one. It was pretty lame, but it could have served as the foundation for something cool in the future.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

https://youtu.be/tDPjE9Sg7to

Pretty good clip of Jesse Ventura speaking about his hero, Ali. I love the end when he talks about watching an old Ali fight with him where he got knocked down and says he slipped.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning: Canelo-GGG 2 is TONIGHT! :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:I feel like a kid on Christmas morning: Canelo-GGG 2 is TONIGHT! :)
A quick summary of both fighters and who do you think will win?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Canelo: A blown-up junior middleweight whose body looks different than the first fight. Canelo was more jacked and ready to absorb GGG's power last September, which only lends more credence to those who call bullsh*t of his claims his positive clembuterol test was caused by tainted meat. Count me among them. He's a cheat. Canelo has a very good chin and is one of the best counterpunchers in boxing. He won't engage, Mexican style, tonight despite his claims to want to stand toe-to-toe with GGG. That's a recipe for disaster, as Golovkin has more power. Canelo will need to counter and move to win, which is smart because he's a better boxer than GGG. Canelo has improved his footwork greatly over the last five years. Canelo also is a master of stealing rounds with flurries of activity in the final 30 seconds after sleeping for the first 2:30, much like Ali, Ray Leonard and Mayweather did. Judges remember the most recent activity unless there was a knockdown or a huge shot landed earlier in the round. Stamina also is an issue for Canelo, as he ran out of gas midway through their first fight before rallying in the final three rounds.

GGG: A true middleweight with fantastic power. 36, so he's slightly past his prime. Golovkin MUST do two things differently tonight than last September: Start faster and go to the body more often. GGG was hesitant in the first two rounds last year, trying to figure out Canelo's style. He gave away those rounds, and that was pivotal in the draw decision. GGG also is one of the most feared body punchers in the sport yet didn't go to the body nearly enough last September, probably afraid of counter uppercuts by Canelo, who throws that punch VERY well. GGG also must cut off the ring better with footwork, especially in the corners, and not let Canelo escape trouble as easily as he did the first fight. GGG used his jackhammer jab effectively last September, but it was more of a weapon than a rangefinder or setup shot for his right because GGG's jab is so strong that it pushed Canelo out of range for a follow right-hand bomb. So GGG may need to measure the jab a bit better tonight. We may see GGG go inside and rough up Canelo more often than the first fight because tonight's fine referee, Benji Esteves, allows more in-fighting without breaking the two fighters than last year's ref, the excellent Kenny Bayless.

Prediction: Canelo in a narrow unanimous or split decision. GGG must get a TKO or KO to win this fight since Canelo is the golden goose of boxing. No way GGG wins a decision on the cards in Nevada, although thankfully Adelaide Byrd -- who scored the first bout 118-110 for Canelo in one of the worst scorecards of the last 25 years -- is nowhere near this bout.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

What time is the fight tonight EST? I may have to hit up my sports streaming sites for this one.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:What time is the fight tonight EST? I may have to hit up my sports streaming sites for this one.
Undercards at 8, and they’re solid. Main should start between 11 and 11:30.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I have GGG winning by TKO in 8th. He’s too good.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

1st rd knockout by David Lemieux and a 3rd round TKO by Jaime Manguia. This is why I could never pay to watch boxing. :P

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Boxing still has the best fighter introductions. The buildup and entrance of the fighters is electric for the Main Event. 8)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Damn, I lost my feed towards the end of round 6. I won’t spoil it for those who don’t want to know. This has got trilogy written all over it.

Btw, both CBS Sports, Sporting News had given the fight to the eventual loser. This is what stinks about boxing.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

So PK i'm interested to hear who you thought won that fight? CBS Sports and Sporting News had scored the fight 8 rounds to 4 for Triple GGG.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:1st rd knockout by David Lemieux and a 3rd round TKO by Jaime Manguia. This is why I could never pay to watch boxing. :P
This is EXACTLY why I pay. The unknown. The big bomb coming from nowhere. No other sport can match that excitement.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:So PK i'm interested to hear who you thought won that fight? CBS Sports and Sporting News had scored the fight 8 rounds to 4 for Triple GGG.
And they're both wrong. There's no way this was an 8-4 fight for GGG, which is the scorecard Harold Lederman had for HBO, too.

I had it 7-5 GGG. But there were only about four rounds in which one fighter clearly won. The other eight were toss-ups. The fight was that close and that tough to score.

Canelo was faster and in much better shape for this fight. He didn't tire in the middle rounds like in the first bout. Canelo also was a far more effective body puncher than Golovkin, which is a mistake by GGG's camp.

GGG's jab was strong, as in the first fight. But Canelo threw the more effective combinations the entire fight. GGG would follow his jab with a right or maybe a hook, but that's it.

Compubox stats showed Canelo landed slightly fewer punches, but he was more efficient. He also landed more power shots and more body shots, so I'm not sure how anyone could deduce an 8-4 score for GGG.

This decision was not a screw job. It was not a robbery. Anyone who makes those claims is wrong. Effective punching should be rewarded, not just activity. Canelo was effective with his combinations and speed.

Canelo is the house fighter. He is Golden Boy's golden goose, so he will get some of the benefit of the doubt from judges when needed. It wasn't needed last night. Again, I had it 7-5 for GGG, but some of those rounds were so close that it's very plausible to see a majority decision with two cards at 115-113 for Canelo.

Let's make this a trilogy on Cinco de Mayo weekend 2019! These guys are matched so evenly and are so skilled.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

So you would've given the fight to Triple G? What are your thoughts on the other two fights I saw, David Lemieux and Jaime Manguia? BT Sports which is the feed I was watching were all raving about Manguia saying he's an up and coming star and Lemieux looks like he can lay the leather.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:So you would've given the fight to Triple G? What are your thoughts on the other two fights I saw, David Lemieux and Jaime Manguia? BT Sports which is the feed I was watching were all raving about Manguia saying he's an up and coming star and Lemieux looks like he can lay the leather.
Yes, I thought GGG won seven rounds. But it was VERY close, and I could see how judges could see it differently.

Munguia is a MONSTER. Only 20 or 21. He'll be at 160 very soon, as I can't see how a kid that big can keep making 154. Plus there's a LOT of money available at middleweight for him with fights against Canelo, GGG, Lemieux, Jacobs, Saunders, Deryvachenko, O'Sullivan, etc. Middleweight is really deep right now.

Power is Lemieux's calling card. Always has been. But it's all he has. Golovkin destroyed him in their matchup because Lemieux is so one-dimensional. But O'Sullivan was just too small and too timid to deal with Lemieux's pressure. Plus Spike never has fought anyone at Lemieux's class.

Lemieux never will be elite. But he will get HBO and PPV undercard fights because he's got TNT in his fists, uses an all-action style, is North American and is a good-looking dude. I like watching him because you're almost guaranteed a knockout, with either Lemieux or his foe hitting the canvas.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

PK what are your thoughts on Joshua v Povetkin?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:PK what are your thoughts on Joshua v Povetkin?
I hope Joshua knocks him out, and he probably will. Povetkin is disgusting. A two-time, proven drug cheat who continues to get chance after chance at title belts. A symbol of all that's wrong with boxing.

Bottom line: Drugs or no drugs, Povetkin isn't that good. Joshua will destroy him. Let's hope so, sending this f*cking drug cheat into retirement for good.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Joshua isn't making it easy, he's definitely in a war with Povetkin. One bad sign I noticed was when Joshua was making his way to the ring, he was smiling at the crowd like it was in the bag, like Apollo Creed did in the movie Rocky.

Edit: You got your wish PK, 7th Rd TKO by Joshua. One thing I noticed about Joshua is his style. He's a straight up boxer, doesn't move or dance a lot, just stalks his opponent. He wore down Povetkin and put him away but up until the 4th rd Povetkin was bringing it and I wasn't sure Joshua was going to make it.

Holy Hell, this dude draws 80K to his fights at Wembley. 8O

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Joshua isn't making it easy, he's definitely in a war with Povetkin. One bad sign I noticed was when Joshua was making his way to the ring, he was smiling at the crowd like it was in the bag, like Apollo Creed did in the movie Rocky.

Edit: You got your wish PK, 7th Rd TKO by Joshua. One thing I noticed about Joshua is his style. He's a straight up boxer, doesn't move or dance a lot, just stalks his opponent. He wore down Povetkin and put him away but up until the 4th rd Povetkin was bringing it and I wasn't sure Joshua was going to make it.

Holy Hell, this dude draws 80K to his fights at Wembley. 8O
Agree that Joshua is far less nuanced as a boxer than people think. Everyone depicts Wilder as this one-dimensional caveman while Joshua is a slick, Ali-style boxer. That's horsesh*t. Wilder and Joshua are the same -- two guys with very little head movement or footwork who both rely on monstrous power. Joshua's only edge is a solid jab.

Disagree that Joshua wore down Povetkin. Sasha was pressing the action all the way until the TKO. The shots to Joshua's nose in the first round neutered any ideas of attack by Joshua, who was backing up for most of the fight.

A year ago, I thought Deontay Wilder had ZERO chance of beating Anthony Joshua. But after mediocre outings by Joshua against Joseph Parker and Povetkin, not only does Wilder contend April 13 against Joshua, he beats him.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I was just reading some of Wilder’s stat’s. 40-0 39KO’s. He’s also 6’ 7’ so he’s an inch taller than AJ. Should be a good fight and the odds are it won’t go the distance.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:I was just reading some of Wilder’s stat’s. 40-0 39KO’s. He’s also 6’ 7’ so he’s an inch taller than AJ. Should be a good fight and the odds are it won’t go the distance.
Absolutely. No way that fight goes the distance.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Pretty decisive win for Khabib vs McGregor. It was pretty competitive but Khabib's wrestling skills had McGregor on the defensive and wore him down. Then it was over with a submission hold in the 4th. Now what is the UFC going to do? They are in the same bad spot they found themselves with Ronda Rousey. She was the UFC's superstar, had a contract and she lost both fights and retired. Conor McGregor supposedly signed a multi fight contract and he got beat by Khabib.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Rodster wrote:Pretty decisive win for Khabib vs McGregor. It was pretty competitive but Khabib's wrestling skills had McGregor on the defensive and wore him down. Then it was over with a submission hold in the 4th. Now what is the UFC going to do? They are in the same bad spot they found themselves with Ronda Rousey. She was the UFC's superstar, had a contract and she lost both fights and retired. Conor McGregor supposedly signed a multi fight contract and he got beat by Khabib.
There should probably be an MMA thread. I think we would all agree boxing and UFC are two different animals.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25