Battlefield V Open Beta

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Battlefield V Open Beta

Post by Teal »

Well, despite my overwhelming objections to some of the asinine stupidity injected into this franchise, the open beta is free, I've got EA Access, and why the hell not? So I downloaded it, and played a match or two this morning. That idiotic bionic woman in the trenchcoat is still the centerpiece, which is just going to grind my gears and keep me from buying the thing (along with the wife beater- clad William Wallace wanna be's), but this is about the gameplay I've witnessed thus far.
Rotterdam is the only map I've played on, but it was instantly familiar, and will be too anyone who played battlefield 3. It's overall just a prettier version of the French city map in bf3, with a helping of the Bf1 City maps thrown in. Otherwise, my impressions are that the gameplay is bf1 with new weapons. I think I'd have much rather had a modern battlefield game. I feel like I've been playing this game for a year and a half, and honestly, I have been. Dunno. Gonna play it done more tonight and for the next few days, but I don't expect a revelatory experience.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Battlefield V Open Beta

Post by 10spro »

Will try it on later tonight, I do have BFV on preorder. Also, if you still got BF1 which I still play on my rotations, the Premium package will be free next week so you can try all the DLC.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So is the beta more than MP? If not, how our the characters front and center in the game?

I was hoping the stupid characters they showed wouldn't be in MP.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Danimal wrote:So is the beta more than MP? If not, how our the characters front and center in the game?

I was hoping the stupid characters they showed wouldn't be in MP.
The main splash screen when you boot it up is that crazy woman. I've seen some goofy looking outfits just in the couple of MP games, which is all you can play, yes. I've always counted on BF to be the "grown up" shooter between itself and COD. But COD has lived rent free in EA's head for years, and this is the unfortunate result. Besides all that, it's just far too familiar to BF1 to stand out.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks for the impressions, man. How long is the beta open? I'm in Indy until Monday.

A new BF game always was a Day One purchase for me. But BF V has turned me off from the second I saw the trailer. I certainly can live with BF1 and other shooters in my collection if BF V continues to be lackluster to me.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

pk500 wrote:Thanks for the impressions, man. How long is the beta open? I'm in Indy until Monday.

A new BF game always was a Day One purchase for me. But BF V has turned me off from the second I saw the trailer. I certainly can live with BF1 and other shooters in my collection if BF V continues to be lackluster to me.
Beta closes morning of Tuesday, September 11, so not much opportunity for you :(

I'll see if I can get a chance to try it myself, but I'm not gonna go out of my way to make time for it. Meh.

I'm much more curious about trying the new World War 3 game.
World War 3 is a Battlefield-esque modern military first person shooter with large scale 65 player battles set in real-life locations.

With the latest Battlefield games intent on traveling back to WWI And WWII, it looks like World War 3 will be able to pick up the slack and provide players with a fix of modern military large scale multiplayer first person combat. World War 3 promises tactical multiplayer warfare where teamwork and strategy are key as you fight on the streets of Moscow, Berlin and Warsaw.

There’s no futuristic exo-suits here, but you do have access to a selection of modern military gadgets, such as drones and RC cars. You’ll also have access to vehicles, such as tanks, and a large assortment of weaponry that’s fully customizable with attachments, skins, camos and paints.
https://www.alphabetagamer.com/world-wa ... a-sign-up/
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Naples39 wrote:
pk500 wrote:Thanks for the impressions, man. How long is the beta open? I'm in Indy until Monday.

Beta closes morning of Tuesday, September 11, so not much opportunity for you :(

I'll see if I can get a chance to try it myself, but I'm not gonna go out of my way to make time for it. Meh.

I'm much more curious about trying the new World War 3 game.
World War 3 is a Battlefield-esque modern military first person shooter with large scale 65 player battles set in real-life locations.

With the latest Battlefield games intent on traveling back to WWI And WWII, it looks like World War 3 will be able to pick up the slack and provide players with a fix of modern military large scale multiplayer first person combat. World War 3 promises tactical multiplayer warfare where teamwork and strategy are key as you fight on the streets of Moscow, Berlin and Warsaw.

There’s no futuristic exo-suits here, but you do have access to a selection of modern military gadgets, such as drones and RC cars. You’ll also have access to vehicles, such as tanks, and a large assortment of weaponry that’s fully customizable with attachments, skins, camos and paints.
https://www.alphabetagamer.com/world-wa ... a-sign-up/

Yeah, I need that game on xb1. Pronto.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Oooh. Is WWIII coming to consoles? That's a f*ckton more appealing than BF V.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Okay. Played a little more. In all honesty, I'm not noticing the goofy characters as much as I feared, and the game is faster paced than bf1. The city map is much bigger than the aforementioned bf3 map, but there are several borrowed elements. In all, though, I still can't help but feel like I've played this game before. A lot. It's very pretty, and it seems like the destruction has been dialed up a notch, but... Even without all the SJW nonsense, it just feels like bf1. I'd much rather have the WWIII game.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

pk500 wrote:Oooh. Is WWIII coming to consoles? That's a f*ckton more appealing than BF V.
No, I don't believe so. I thought it was, but upon looking further it's just PC for now. :oops:
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Perhaps the original trailer where it shows a woman with a bionic arm may have turned off a few BF fans but I saw nothing goofy in this Beta, in fact I had fun playing Conquest with a few twist at Rotterdam. It may not feel like a WW2 game, it may not describe all the gore and blood in that war but it still played much like BF1 which is fine for me.

On HDR, the visuals are amazing. Some of the twists I was referring, you may now built on objects like machine gun placements, build on tank stoppers and sandbags as in War mode in CoD, people can pick up in health and heal others instead of just relying on Medics, although that build will do it much efficiently.

Vehicles can be towed and depending on some weapons, you can do some serious damage while shooting on thinner buildings.

Overall, if you’re looking for a different experience to BF1, you won’t really find it in this Beta which is fine. It may not make you feel submerged in a WW2 atmosphere, but I had fun nevertheless playing V.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I started the download on the PC last night so i will try it tonight. The good thing about Premier on the PC is I'm getting this game with my 1 year subscription. I also get FIFA, Anthem and a slew of other games. Plus all my older games like BF1 were upgraded to deluxe versions.

Honestly best $100 I've spent in a long time as just buying 2 of these games is more than the sub price.
Follow Me on:

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

New video that highlights game modes and new features:

https://youtu.be/UZW4cPUIVf4

Playing in our 4 man squad last night I liked the new follow cam prior to squad respawns. Very helpful. I also liked the starting sniper rifle. I am usually awful with sniping in BF, but did well with that gun. Like others said, it sure looks good and has the same BF feel to it. That's fine for me.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I'm already having to make myself play the beta. Not a good indicator for me. Considering my penchant for shooters, doubly so. Just can't get into it.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Played on the PC last night, visually it is very impressive and I did enjoy the 2 matches I played despite knowing much of what was happening. Of course i was dropped into my first game a a female sniper :D

I think if you like BF1 you will like BF5.
Follow Me on:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Honestly, I think if you played the heck out of BF1, you may just get bored of BF5 quickly. I played a few rounds last night, then booted up COD:WWII. God help me, I never thought these words would never come out of me, but I prefer playing COD:WWII. Yes, there's some asinine stupidity in COD with the goofy outfits and such, but still. The maps, and the SP story are solidly WWII. There's nothing in BF5, especially the maps provided, that says to me "this is definitely WWII and not WWI". Honestly, this feels like an extension of BF1. In other words, the beta isn't changing my mind. Now, 10 hours with the full release might give me a better idea, especially the story elements. But right now, I'm still a firm "pass".

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

idk if I agree 100% with that assessment Teal. I mean COD is just like every other COD with some slight tweaks. BF 5 is like every other Bf with some tweaks. I though graphically it was way better than COD and even BF 1. I felt the building were more destructible, I liked the towed weapons and even flying a plane was better. I don't really care about the SP mode of the game, hasn't been a solo story mode in either of these games worthwhile in years.

I know a whole bunch of people who aren't even trying the beta because of it's inclusion of women. I told one of them I was a black female sniper last night and they almost lost their mind. That is a whole other issue, while I don't like the direction of the game either, it won't stop me from playing a decent shooter. Unfortunately it seems most of my normal PC shooting group is full of people who don't feel the same.

Plus for me this open beta is way too limited to have any idea what maps will be in the final release. I guess if I had played 100 hours of BF 1 I could / would be bored but I'm not because I didn't.

EDIT: I should also note that I'm not paying another dime for this as I get it for "free" now but if I had to pay $60 for it I would pass. This will go on sale quickly.
Follow Me on:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am one of those people that played the heck out of BF1 and still love every minute of it every chance I take it for a spin. Just to explore the different arsenal of weapons and finding out what works best for my style of play keeps me interested.

I don’t think I will get bored with BFV. I agree it may not have the atmosphere of a WW2 environment and just playing two maps so far is hard to tell the final outcome. The visuals are outstanding on HDR, and the weapons more balanced.

I mean playing on MP you will always bite your tongue when your teammates don’t know how to heal you or refuse to do so standing just a couple of feet away from you. Had problems playing Conquest last night as the game kept redirecting me to the other mode, which I think was Grand Operations. (Sorry Pete, that mode took forever and couldn’t get to your invite).

The concept of Attrition may not be understood by everyone. When you spawn, you may not have all the ammos and other supplies with you, so you would need to make the tactical decision to either press the attack and scratch out a few kills with limited resources, or immediately find a source from which to resupply.

In may lack the ambiance of WW2 and it plays a lot like BF1 which I mentioned earlier it’s not a bad thing.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Well, for me, it just matters. I'm kinda known around here for being the shooter evangelist, but that doesn't mean my word is THE word on it. But I've loved some shooters that many didn't, because I love shooters that much. I got bored with BF1, mostly do to the weaponry being a real chore at times, which is honestly a feature of WWI more than a flaw of BF1. (Which is why a Battlefield-American Revolution wouldn't work...lol). I can't help it; I wanted a battlefield in WWII with the power of the current get systems, but... I'm just not feeling it. Now that I've played it, it's not just the philosophical aversion to the whole SJW circus. Putting that aside, I'm still pretty bored. Maybe it's just the maps. Dunno. But unlike what some have said, I love the story narratives in games, especially shooters. And if THAT devolves into the PC crap territory, I'm definitely out. I don't care how much "the longest day" and "Saving Private Ryan" scenarios have been done in video games. That's what I want to play. Not made up or barely factual little stories that feed the insatiable cravings of SJW's. Anyway, not knocking anyone for enjoying the thing. Just not, at this point, remotely interested in parting with 60 bucks to play it.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Teal,

Totally get it and a valid points. Have to say the one map I played on reminded me of the Hoth map in SWBF 1 so I hope they do some variety with the map packs. I'm not sure how much I will play this anyway, my normal PC group is going to WW 3 which I am as well but also RS Siege which I don't like at all.
Follow Me on:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

R6: Seige isn't Rainbow Six. At all. I wish they'd make a proper R:6 game again, but it seems Ubisoft is in the "milk it until it dies" mode with games now.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Teal wrote:R6: Seige isn't Rainbow Six. At all. I wish they'd make a proper R:6 game again, but it seems Ubisoft is in the "milk it until it dies" mode with games now.
RB6: Siege is boring as hell as a multiplayer game. On defense: Barricade and booby-trap the hell out of the room. Wait for a breach. Shoot, watch explosions. On offense: Try to overpower the booby traps and barricades. Rinse, wash, repeat.

As Teal said, Siege isn't a proper Rainbow Six game at all. I was bored out of my mind and sold it after two or three months.

If BFV doesn't load lead into my barrel, no worries. I'll just keep playing my favorite shooter in a VERY long time -- theHunter: Call of the Wild. :)

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

10spro wrote:I mean playing on MP you will always bite your tongue when your teammates don’t know how to heal you or refuse to do so standing just a couple of feet away from you. Had problems playing Conquest last night as the game kept redirecting me to the other mode, which I think was Grand Operations. (Sorry Pete, that mode took forever and couldn’t get to your invite).
I very rarely, if ever, play this game or any other MP shooter solo anymore. BF is exponentially more fun playing in a squad with friends, working together, healing, resupplying, spotting, grabbing a tank with an engineer buddy, etc. I usually struggle getting kills, so I like that I can contribute by the support roles and capturing control points. I have been doing quite a bit better shooting with the WW2 guns over those in BF1.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I didn’t realize that the game was delayed a month until Nov. 20th. Originally it was a late October release. I received an email the other day alerting me to this. Actually a good thing. There are a few games coming out before BFV that I want to play first...Spider-Man and Tomb Raider to name a couple.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Diablo25 wrote:I didn’t realize that the game was delayed a month until Nov. 20th. Originally it was a late October release. I received an email the other day alerting me to this. Actually a good thing. There are a few games coming out before BFV that I want to play first...Spider-Man and Tomb Raider to name a couple.
Yes it is and to be honest, I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets further delayed to the holidays. There are many elements that just need more polish and balanced for that matter.

As mentioned, I am enjoying the game in general but there are things where Dice makes you work harder than you should in the progression of your character.

The Airplane combats needs improving, at times I feel like I am dropping marshmallows than actual bombs. The spitfire feels like a trunk.

They’re giving us all less ammo so everything seems to be counterproductive as you advance. I am about to make a conquest but wait I don’t think I have enough ammo to make it thru so let me find where the ammo crate is. You basically have two magazines and you’re out. It just seems that you’re wasting a lot of time as your tree progress advances, and everything feels very cumbersome.

The UI design is poor. I mean why does one have to quit of a game, out of a server in order to watch your character and gun progression? And that goes back all the way to BF4, BF1...

The spawning location is terrible the way it is now, sound effects need improvement for a BF game, the inability to switch teams, just bugs that need fixing and I am not sure if November is long enough.

The visuals are amazing though especially in HDR, the gun play is fun, a lot of new ideas that Dice just needs to improve on. Bad design decisions in general, there are quite unbalanced sectors, but overall I am still looking forward to the launch whenever that is, because this Beta is quite buggy.