The Beautiful Game thread, season 2018/19

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Beautiful Game thread, season 2018/19

Post by 10spro »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
10spro wrote:Anytime you miss the playmaker in your team is a big blow. And it sounds like it’s the same tear as the one he had a couple of years back vs Everton. I am guessing minimum two months to 4 months. This will just give more playing time to both Silvas and perhaps a chance for young Phil Foden to showcase his stuff.
The signing of Mahrez will help a bit with the playmaking, at least from the right side.
I see him playing more forward.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
10spro wrote:Anytime you miss the playmaker in your team is a big blow. And it sounds like it’s the same tear as the one he had a couple of years back vs Everton. I am guessing minimum two months to 4 months. This will just give more playing time to both Silvas and perhaps a chance for young Phil Foden to showcase his stuff.
The signing of Mahrez will help a bit with the playmaking, at least from the right side.
I see him playing more forward.
In the first game they played through him a lot on the right. Yes he is more of a forward but they have plenty of forwards especially if Sterling is actually scoring.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Copa J. Gamper between Barca and Boca Juniors. Here’s Messi doing a number on my club...

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Hopefully for Mourhino's sanity that's not the best ManU has to offer because if it is, he's going to need bodyguards getting out of Old Trafford. What a beatdown by Brighton. They employed the old school NBA style, full court press and ManU struggled to even get the ball out of their own end.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

That was a horror show, and both CB’s were of his signings so...Not to mention his tense meetings with Pogba and things may not end well indeed at old Trafford.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro wrote:That was a horror show, and both CB’s were of his signings so...Not to mention his tense meetings with Pogba and things may not end well indeed at old Trafford.
The ONLY silver lining to the game was that it wasn't played at Old Trafford. If this becomes a pattern I can't see him lasting the season because as you said some of these signings were on his watch. The other red flag is that the Board has shot down his request to sign more lucrative players.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Despite the injury to KDB, no one really doubted that MCI would win their match tonight. What did surprised me was the scratching of Walker in the blue line as they used only three D’s while Bernardo took the place of De Bruyne as I anticipated.

Pepe is a guy who will still tinker with the lineup as he sees fit, didn’t see him putting Jesus and Aguero together, yet they both had a great game particularly Aguero with a hat trick including two beauties.

What a game by Mendy too.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Jesus should have had a hat trick too...he had some WIIIIIDE open opportunities and I thought I was watching Sterling and his finishing. Tho to be fair, at least Jesus put them on frame, tho right at the keeper each time. Sterling just misses completely.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The scenario was at Old Trafford this time and the D continues to be in shambles. Smalling and Lindelof were brutal especially the latter, Mourinho has been miserable in his press conferences, wait until you see this one. The way Pochettino communicates with his players and the quick hash, hash directions from the Portuguese manager to his side is a contrast on its own. You wonder if the players are clear on what Mourinho wants.

This is an embarrassing loss at home.

It’s early and there’s no big matches in the next few weeks for them, but things will need to change soon...

What the hell was that long clapping in the end from him?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

ManU looked fine for the first half and should have been up 1 nil at half. Buuuut, it's ManU...and you end up losing anyway. LOL. Yikes.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

How in the world did Lukaku miss that empty netter? Huge momentum shift.

Watched the Chelsea Newcastle match on Sunday. What a snoozer of a game. I see what Newcastle was trying to do, but it killed the flow of the game. Chelsea was fairly lucky to get out with a victory rather than a tie.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:How in the world did Lukaku miss that empty netter? Huge momentum shift.

Watched the Chelsea Newcastle match on Sunday. What a snoozer of a game. I see what Newcastle was trying to do, but it killed the flow of the game. Chelsea was fairly lucky to get out with a victory rather than a tie.
He's left footed. Too many strikers are just garbage with their weak foot...Salah is REALLY bad. It's shocking how defenders constantly let them go left when their weak side is so bad.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Does being Liverpool's GK automatically make you an idiot?

What a f***in idiot.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Did not like the second half but unlike last year when late game failures giving away points were common they take the win.

Great start to the season.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Ramos staying classy. What a piece of s***.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I gotta say i'm somewhat surprised in a good way about the MLS. It's been a long, long time since I watched a game. I got a chance to watch some of the DC United v Atlanta and the speed/tempo of the game has picked quite a bit. It's maybe not as fast as an EPL game but I saw quite a bit of fast counterattacks. Even Wayne Rooney was out there hustling. Has the league been playing this way? The crowd seems to be quite supportive with chants as well. Pretty cool that soccer looks to be catching on in the US.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:I gotta say i'm somewhat surprised in a good way about the MLS. It's been a long, long time since I watched a game. I got a chance to watch some of the DC United v Atlanta and the speed/tempo of the game has picked quite a bit. It's maybe not as fast as an EPL game but I saw quite a bit of fast counterattacks. Even Wayne Rooney was out there hustling. Has the league been playing this way? The crowd seems to be quite supportive with chants as well. Pretty cool that soccer looks to be catching on in the US.
Atlanta has been a fantastic revelation this year and so has LAFC. Everything about the team make up and stadium setup has been tailored after the PL so you see a lot more similarities. It’s trending that way throughout the league for sure.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:I gotta say i'm somewhat surprised in a good way about the MLS. It's been a long, long time since I watched a game. I got a chance to watch some of the DC United v Atlanta and the speed/tempo of the game has picked quite a bit. It's maybe not as fast as an EPL game but I saw quite a bit of fast counterattacks. Even Wayne Rooney was out there hustling. Has the league been playing this way? The crowd seems to be quite supportive with chants as well. Pretty cool that soccer looks to be catching on in the US.
Atlanta has been a fantastic revelation this year and so has LAFC. Everything about the team make up and stadium setup has been tailored after the PL so you see a lot more similarities. It’s trending that way throughout the league for sure.
That's good to know. I watched highlights of a Seattle Sounders FC home game sometime ago and that stadium was loud and rocking like Old Trafford.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Inter Miami CF to the MLS in 2020. They just put up their crest logo and it looks pretty cool/different. It's a combination of black/white/pink has that Miami Vice vibe to it. No stadium though so that's still a problem. I don't know why they can't play temporarily at the Miami Dolphins stadium until they find a home.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/InterMiamiC ... wsrc%5Etfw

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Hmm they're up to 23 teams.

Maybe they can't afford to dilute whatever talent pool they have.

I heard some of the Euro clubs who played exhibition against MLS all stars were comprised of reserves who will rarely play in the top leagues, instead will get loaned out to second or third level league clubs.

Seems like MLS will buy European stars who are past their primes, just to help sell tickets but these stunt signings probably doesn't help their efforts to develop talent.

MLS will arrive if they regularly sell players to top European clubs. Or maybe the goal is to just provide a good entertaining product in a smaller pond.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Mane frustrating.

Salah imitating him today.

Still Loverpool with a great win.

Who is going to win the league? 8)

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

XXXIV wrote:Mane frustrating.

Salah imitating him today.

Still Loverpool with a great win.

Who is going to win the league? 8)
I hesitate to draw any conclusions from the first game back from international breaks, especially when both sides had so many players traveling. That said, 5 from 5 without having really played a solid game yet is a delightful start.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

RobVarak wrote:That said, 5 from 5 without having really played a solid game yet is a delightful start.
Yes sir.

Delightful is a good word for it.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Should have been 5-1...if Mane and Salah didn't turn into selfish ball hogs. So ridiculous that they can't just touch the ball to the open guys in the box. Too many horrible shots on great chances.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I'm giddy for today's Liverpool/PSG game. Gonna be so good. Probably the best matchup possibility in all of the groups.