The Beautiful Game thread, season 2018/19

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

The Beautiful Game thread, season 2018/19

Post by GB_Simo »

I can barely believe I still have an interest in this thing - click here for a very, very long reminder of why that is, if you're so inclined - but we're underway already, chaps. Those below the English Premier League set sail for who knows where last weekend, while Manchester United and Leicester got the big boys up and running tonight.

The two of you who care about these things might like to know that my beloved Hartlepool United have made it through the summer. A consortium led by a local businessman took us on at the end of last season, and while that local businessman is widely accused of having ran our local rivals Darlington into the ground a few years back, this was the only port available in our particular storm so we'll take our chances for the time being. Our new home and away kits both carry gold trim, which is of course in celebration of f*** knows what, and we drew 2-2 with the mighty Harrogate Town on Tuesday night, but at least we're here.

One of the other investors is a chap called Jeff Stelling, the host of a show called Soccer Saturday. For the uninitiated, Soccer Saturday is like NFL Redzone would be if, instead of watching the action as it happened, you were watching a rotating cast of ex-pros shouting about things they could see on a TV screen. Jeff's a Poolie, honorary Club President and, as this clip illustrates, he cares a bit:

It is his involvement, and pretty much only his involvement, that makes us feel as though we're in reasonably safe hands. Perfectly sound logic, you'll agree. Jeff's also had a hand in us selling the naming rights to our ground, which is now quite simply the Sky Sports Soccer Saturday Super Six Stadium.

Yes. It. Is.

It's a bit of a grim time for football fans in the north east, all told. Sunderland are in League One, though this has at least brought them the rare thrill of scoring more goals than the other team for once, Middlesbrough had a bloody awful transfer deadline day and Newcastle United's owner spent his deadline day buying a chain of department stores, thus pinning the club's entire survival strategy on either a) Rafa being quite fond of the club's fans and perhaps not walking out before Christmas, or b) the left foot of Sandra from the Menswear department. With Mike Ashley, you can never tell.

Enough of me blathering on. Best of luck, all...
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Beautiful Game thread, season 2018/19

Post by dbdynsty25 »

After following soccer for the past two years, and heavily last year I am looking forward to the season of futbol waaaaay more than football this year. Can’t believe that happened but it’s true. Working from home has turned me into a huge soccer fan since I can watch all the games televised during the week now.

I picked Liverpool as my team two years ago and last year was a definite improvement and they did a lot to sure up their holes (midfield and keeper) so hopefully they can stay with City this season.

It’s gonna be a great season.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

It’s so hard to repeat in the PL but I just can’t see any team stopping City from doing so. They just got the depth that no other team have at this moment. Adding Mahrez just opens up that front even when you have guys like Jesus or Agüero not suiting up due to injuries what not.

Liverpool should have a steady run, I just hope that the race is closer than last season but I would be shocked if Pepe’s team don’t repeat.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Welcome to the Liverpool bandwagon. I am a very proud member of said bandwagon.

The thing I dont understand is a secret fan...unless your a fan of lets say Justin Bieber and I am not saying that you are but that you would keep a secret.

Secret fan?....oxymoron indeed!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:After following soccer for the past two years, and heavily last year I am looking forward to the season of futbol waaaaay more than football this year. Can’t believe that happened but it’s true. Working from home has turned me into a huge soccer fan since I can watch all the games televised during the week now.
I'm not far behind. I'm more jacked this year for the start of the European domestic league seasons than the NFL season, even though it's obvious Fat Mike Ashley will continue to keep my Newcastle United treading water at best.

And like you, I like catching matches from Europe in the morning and early afternoon on Saturday and Sunday because it doesn't inhale my whole day. Chelsea-Huddersfield on my TV right now!
Last edited by pk500 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Your pain is palpable, Adam. But I still love reading your posts! :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pk500 wrote:Your pain is palpable, Adam. But I still love reading your posts! :)
Agreed!

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

10spro wrote:I would be shocked if Pepe’s team don’t repeat.
Im sure you have been shocked before. 8)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:After following soccer for the past two years, and heavily last year I am looking forward to the season of futbol waaaaay more than football this year. Can’t believe that happened but it’s true. Working from home has turned me into a huge soccer fan since I can watch all the games televised during the week now.
I'm not far behind. I'm more jacked this year for the start of the European domestic league seasons than the NFL season, even though it's obvious Fat Mike Ashley will continue to keep my Newcastle United treading water at best.

And like you, I like catching matches from Europe in the morning and early afternoon on Saturday and Sunday because it doesn't inhale my whole day. Chelsea-Huddersfield on my TV right now!
Add me to the list. The NFL has gotten stale for me and i’ve moved on to the NBA and Futbol.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Rodster wrote: Futbol.
In english its football.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Add me to the list. The NFL has gotten stale for me and i’ve moved on to the NBA and Futbol.
My staple stick-and-ball sports these days, too. Add boxing and motorsport, and you have my Four Horsemen of serious sports fandom.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Now was that not a pretty first half?

Should have had at least one more ...

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

in the nuts! and in the nuts!

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Sturridge has been sighted.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I picked Liverpool as my team two years ago and last year was a definite improvement and they did a lot to sure up their holes (midfield and keeper) so hopefully they can stay with City this season.

db, If you haven't already, I strongly recommend getting tied in with your local LFC supporters club. It's immeasurably better watching a match now and then in a bar packed with swearing, singing, drinking buddies that you didn't even know you had. I only get to the Chicago club for a game or two every season, but it's always amazing. It will also help you get a leg up if you ever want to see the club, either on a US tour or at Anfield. The official supporters clubs have inside track to tickets.

The LA chapter is huge. I'm not sure where they watch matches and I know it can be impossible to get from some parts of town to others at some times, but it's worth looking into.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

RobVarak wrote:

db, If you haven't already, I strongly recommend getting tied in with your local LFC supporters club. It's immeasurably better watching a match now and then in a bar packed with swearing, singing, drinking buddies that you didn't even know you had. I only get to the Chicago club for a game or two every season, but it's always amazing. It will also help you get a leg up if you ever want to see the club, either on a US tour or at Anfield. The official supporters clubs have inside track to tickets.

The LA chapter is huge. I'm not sure where they watch matches and I know it can be impossible to get from some parts of town to others at some times, but it's worth looking into.
I’ll definitely take a look at that. LA isn’t exactly close to me (around 40 miles on the two busiest freeways in the world) as you alluded to w/ the traffic, but I’m sure I can get down there a time or two for a game this season like you do in Chicago. Thanks for the tip.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I don’t recall Wayne Rooney hustling as much as he did as the last man standing during his PL days, but check his hustle during his game vs Orlando with little time left.

Not only he saved a potential goal but made a fantastic pass to his teammate on the same play which resulted in a goal for WAS.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I'll watch the NFL from time to time (Chiefs preferably), but if given a choice, surprisingly I'm drawn more to the EPL. I've grown very tired of the NFL's commercial breaks, extended reviews, boring game play, etc.

I don't have a favorite EPL team (intrigued by Chelsea), but more or less enjoy watching whatever games of the week are on Saturday or Sunday. I love the constant action and learning more and more about the strategic nuances of soccer.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

sportdan30 wrote:I don't have a favorite EPL team (intrigued by Chelsea), but more or less enjoy watching whatever games of the week are on Saturday or Sunday. I love the constant action and learning more and more about the strategic nuances of soccer.
Good man! Keep watching, and you'll find yourself gravitating toward a team. I would push you toward supporting Newcastle United for the last 17 years, like me. But I like you, Dan, and I wouldn't want to subject you to that masochism. :)

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

If City gets out to a lead early, there might not be much suspense left.

maybe CL will be more interesting.

Surprised to hear Modric may leave Real Madrid. Thought he was still an important player for them.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

GB_Simo wrote:I can barely believe I still have an interest in this thing - click here for a very, very long reminder of why that is, if you're so inclined - but we're underway already, chaps. Those below the English Premier League set sail for who knows where last weekend, while Manchester United and Leicester got the big boys up and running tonight.

The two of you who care about these things might like to know that my beloved Hartlepool United have made it through the summer. A consortium led by a local businessman took us on at the end of last season, and while that local businessman is widely accused of having ran our local rivals Darlington into the ground a few years back, this was the only port available in our particular storm so we'll take our chances for the time being. Our new home and away kits both carry gold trim, which is of course in celebration of f*** knows what, and we drew 2-2 with the mighty Harrogate Town on Tuesday night, but at least we're here.

One of the other investors is a chap called Jeff Stelling, the host of a show called Soccer Saturday. For the uninitiated, Soccer Saturday is like NFL Redzone would be if, instead of watching the action as it happened, you were watching a rotating cast of ex-pros shouting about things they could see on a TV screen. Jeff's a Poolie, honorary Club President and, as this clip illustrates, he cares a bit:

It is his involvement, and pretty much only his involvement, that makes us feel as though we're in reasonably safe hands. Perfectly sound logic, you'll agree. Jeff's also had a hand in us selling the naming rights to our ground, which is now quite simply the Sky Sports Soccer Saturday Super Six Stadium.

Yes. It. Is.

It's a bit of a grim time for football fans in the north east, all told. Sunderland are in League One, though this has at least brought them the rare thrill of scoring more goals than the other team for once, Middlesbrough had a bloody awful transfer deadline day and Newcastle United's owner spent his deadline day buying a chain of department stores, thus pinning the club's entire survival strategy on either a) Rafa being quite fond of the club's fans and perhaps not walking out before Christmas, or b) the left foot of Sandra from the Menswear department. With Mike Ashley, you can never tell.

Enough of me blathering on. Best of luck, all...
If only you guys didn't concede that penalty in Cardiff

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

KDB down with a knee injury. Damn...and rumors have him out a few months.

Good for Liverpool, but bad for soccer as a whole. He's by far my favorite player to watch.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

That sucks about de Bruyne. Like you, I'm not a fan of City. But damn, he is a marvel to watch.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Anytime you miss the playmaker in your team is a big blow. And it sounds like it’s the same tear as the one he had a couple of years back vs Everton. I am guessing minimum two months to 4 months. This will just give more playing time to both Silvas and perhaps a chance for young Phil Foden to showcase his stuff.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:Anytime you miss the playmaker in your team is a big blow. And it sounds like it’s the same tear as the one he had a couple of years back vs Everton. I am guessing minimum two months to 4 months. This will just give more playing time to both Silvas and perhaps a chance for young Phil Foden to showcase his stuff.
The signing of Mahrez will help a bit with the playmaking, at least from the right side.