HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Post by DivotMaker »

vader29 wrote:So I was checking out the upcoming tour schedule on the PGA website and saw that a T. Crouch had won a tournament, wonder if he is related to Terry?

8O

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Going to end the current DSP Society season Wednesday night around 8pm eastern time to set up a final season that will run through August since 2019 comes out sometime that month, want to get the weekend tourney set to start on Thursday morning.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

vader29 wrote:Going to end the current DSP Society season Wednesday night around 8pm eastern time to set up a final season that will run through August since 2019 comes out sometime that month, want to get the weekend tourney set to start on Thursday morning.
Thanks Vader!

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Tried to end the season and it won't let me with an active event going on, will set up the weekend tourney in the morning before work and the rest of the season over the weekend.

Edit:
Still won't let me end the season this morning even though there is no active event, it still says there is an active event, will try again tonight after work.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Played the first round of Potomac live with 10spro, very hard course from friendbomber, only 1 birdie in the round between both of us.

Set up the next three tournaments to run for 7 days each with holidays and summer vacations for the handful of us still playing.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Would be interested to know how the rest of you find the course. We thought it was more on the hard side although it was described as medium. I did not hate it, I always welcome a tough challenge but I struggled mightily with my hooks. So much that I had no confidence whatsoever with my swings, from hole #6 on. I was either ending in a fast downswing or in order to compensate a slow downswing ending in water many times. I am going back to player clubs after this.

Not landing straight into the fairway meant easily a bogey or two. Greens were slightly faster than described so play at your own peril. You have a long week to enjoy it or rage quit... :twisted:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:Would be interested to know how the rest of you find the course. We thought it was more on the hard side although it was described as medium. I did not hate it, I always welcome a tough challenge but I struggled mightily with my hooks. So much that I had no confidence whatsoever with my swings, from hole #6 on. I was either ending in a fast downswing or in order to compensate a slow downswing ending in water many times. I am going back to player clubs after this.

Not landing straight into the fairway meant easily a bogey or two. Greens were slightly faster than described so play at your own peril. You have a long week to enjoy it or rage quit... :twisted:
On my way there now... thanks for the warning. I think I'll drink a pint of ail before I play to help me avoid the temptation to rage quit. :)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

J_Cauthen wrote:
10spro wrote:Would be interested to know how the rest of you find the course. We thought it was more on the hard side although it was described as medium. I did not hate it, I always welcome a tough challenge but I struggled mightily with my hooks. So much that I had no confidence whatsoever with my swings, from hole #6 on. I was either ending in a fast downswing or in order to compensate a slow downswing ending in water many times. I am going back to player clubs after this.

On my way there now... thanks for the warning. I think I'll drink a pint of ail before I play to help me avoid the temptation to rage quit. :)
Well, I see no warning is needed for you. Nice -5 in the first round.

A much better second round for me too with a -4 but the main damage is done shooting a ridiculous 95 in the first. Changing my clubs to player helped but I still have some hook-itis in my game. Can’t explain it, maybe my controller needs upgrading, but I just don’t feel very confident driving the ball lately.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote: Well, I see no warning is needed for you. Nice -5 in the first round.

A much better second round for me too with a -4 but the main damage is done shooting a ridiculous 95 in the first. Changing my clubs to player helped but I still have some hook-itis in my game. Can’t explain it, maybe my controller needs upgrading, but I just don’t feel very confident driving the ball lately.
LOL... that first round was such an aberration for me here of late. I opened up with round by holing out a 154 yard approach shot on the first hole for an eagle. The ball landed a good 25 feet past, and 30 feet to the left of the hole. It caught the slope of the green and slowly trickled its way to the bottom of the cup. It took a good 15 seconds of roll to play out.

The course was very tough, but I just played lights out. I still had three bogeys during that round and two of those bogey putts were over 15 feet.

I was playing along with your and Vader's ghost balls, but for a minute there I thought I was next to the dunkin' booth at the county fair. There were like four holes in a row where I heard "ker-sploint" as your approach or tee shot was finding the water. You had to have put at least six balls in the water that round!? 8O You deserve a trophy for not rage quitting that round! :D That course can be feast or famine on such a narrow margin though. I'm not sure what to make of it, but it didn't seem to be ridiculously tricked up. I'll have a better idea after today's round.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Just aced #2 in this week’s tournament! My first! I put it on the feed :D
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Diablo25 wrote:Just aced #2 in this week’s tournament! My first! I put it on the feed :D
Shot 85 :lol: Had every damn thing you could imagine...Hole in one, check. Triple, check. Penalty strokes, check. Chip in, check. I remember why I rage quit the game so much.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Diablo25 wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:Just aced #2 in this week’s tournament! My first! I put it on the feed :D
Shot 85 :lol: Had every damn thing you could imagine...Hole in one, check. Triple, check. Penalty strokes, check. Chip in, check. I remember why I rage quit the game so much.
Did you go to the water 2 times in a row shooting a 95 in the first round though?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Tried to play the weekend tournament conservately, then aggressively to no avail. It just owned me. Felt like throwing the controller many times.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:Tried to play the weekend tournament conservately, then aggressively to no avail. It just owned me. Felt like throwing the controller many times.
Yeah its just frustrating. Know the feeling exactly.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Diablo25 wrote:
10spro wrote:Tried to play the weekend tournament conservately, then aggressively to no avail. It just owned me. Felt like throwing the controller many times.
Yeah its just frustrating. Know the feeling exactly.
I had a hole in one on #6 in the first round but other than that it seemed like every birdie was followed by a bogey and had a lot of putts that just missed going in, was a nice challenging course that didn't feel cheap.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I've got to binge play three rounds this evening to finish the tournament after being away the last four days. Thanks for the warnings about the course, I'll be extra cautious! :)

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

J_Cauthen wrote:I've got to binge play three rounds this evening to finish the tournament after being away the last four days. Thanks for the warnings about the course, I'll be extra cautious! :)
Tourney won't end until Thursday morning, made all of the remaining tournaments over the next two months run for a week (Thursday thru Wednesday).

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

vader29 wrote:Tourney won't end until Thursday morning, made all of the remaining tournaments over the next two months run for a week (Thursday thru Wednesday).
I'm glad you did this... there's no way I'd have gotten all four of those rounds in on Sunday night. I konked out after playing one round! :oops: This course plays very strangely to me. I remember it being one of the easier courses in the Tiger Woods series, but some of these pin placements, with these saddle contoured, firm and fast greens makes for some occasionally otherworldly results. I've had more three putts from less than 10 feet than I can count!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I almost had a rage quit today in the second round of the Deere Run tournament. I was playing with Vader's ghost ball, and was leading him by two shots for the tournament, when we approached the 10th hole. I caught the end of his approach shot, as he hit his approach pin high and then watched the ball roll off the green, 25 feet away in the fairway. I hit a de-lofted lob wedge in 10 feet past that hole. The ball spun back to about a foot from the hole and appeared to stop... it didn't - it slowly picked up speed and then probably seconds after it'd appeared to have stopped, came to rest six inches away from Vader's ball.

I watched as he chipped his 4th shot in the hole for par. My chip was a foot short and rolled back off the green, as did the next one and the next one. On my six shot I played with a putter... it rolled back after missing hole high. I putted my 7th, 8th, and 9th shots, all of them missing at least pin high, and then rolling back off the green. I finally holed a 12 yard chip shot for an 11... it was carnival golf! I wound up shooting 72, but that was with a septuple bogey and two bogeys... other than that, I played great! :twisted: 8)

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

After the ridiculous pin placement on the 13th hole (USGA rules call for at least a 3-foot flat radius around hole) and 18th hole of this weeks tournament I rage quit for the rest of the season! :x

See you guys in TGC 2019. :wink:

-MERACE

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Yeah, the pin location on certain holes were laughable. I know exactly what you’re talking about John, I had my share of triple bogeys or more than I can recall. If you don’t play dart and hit it spot on, your ball is pretty much gone.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

MERACE wrote:(USGA rules call for at least a 3-foot flat radius around hole)
This is an often cited with guys I play with when there are challenging pin positions and it is misunderstood as this is not a rule just a guideline. There are no rules at all for pin placement and thus technically no illegal pin placements.

https://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_ans ... 43&Rule=16
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

Danimal wrote:
This is an often cited with guys I play with when there are challenging pin positions and it is misunderstood as this is not a rule just a guideline. There are no rules at all for pin placement and thus technically no illegal pin placements.

"Rules", "guidelines" or whatever you want to call them, I would think that most real courses try to adhere to a 3-foot flat radius around the hole.

-MERACE

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

MERACE wrote:
Danimal wrote:

"Rules", "guidelines" or whatever you want to call them, I would think that most real courses try to adhere to a 3-foot flat radius around the hole.

-MERACE
What really sticks in my craw about this is putts that come to a stop within 3 feet of the hole, and then roll back to something beyond 3 feet from the hole. If HB Studios could build a tool into the course designer that would alert the course creator that the current pin placement will not allow a ball that stops withing 3 feet of the hole, to remain within 3 feet of the hole.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

MERACE wrote: "Rules", "guidelines" or whatever you want to call them, I would think that most real courses try to adhere to a 3-foot flat radius around the hole.
As someone who plays competitive golf every weekend I can tell you most courses do not adhere to this guideline. With TGC while the undulations of the greens do play a factor in the issues, it is more there bat s*** crazy physics in my opinion that are the biggest issue and not just with putting.

My home course has pretty tough rough conditions and I can hit out of it with greater distance than I can in TGC. chipping is a mess as well but that is a whole other topic.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation