Oculus Rift

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by DChaps »

Naples39 wrote:The lens slider under the goggles is for setting the inter-pupillary distance. It's to customize the lens placement for different people because everyone's eyes are different distances apart. In the Oculus menu, I think one of the options on the right brings up a crosshair on the screen. Use that crosshair to adjust the IPD slider so that the crosshair lines are as distinct as possible for you......
Yeah, that is exactly what I was referring to. When I am doing that part of the setup, I see no difference at all, all the way left, all the way right, in the middle. Nothing changes, it just looks exactly the same to me. But the lenses are definitely moving when I use the slider. Just worried that something is broken, maybe my eyes? :)

Have either of you tried to get the Half-Life 2 VR working with the commercial Rift, or is that just not possible at this point. Also, what would you personally recommend as the best non-racing sim Rift game? Thanks for all your help and advice!

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

It's a subtle change, but if you look directly at that green cross, it will come into and out of focus ever so slightly when you move that thing. If it doesn't...then your eyes are never really in focus, so yeah--you're broken :lol:

I LOVE "Adr1ft". Absolutely love it. Being "in" the space suit and basically going on a several-hour-tour of the movie Gravity is like nothing else I've experienced.

Chronos is pretty cool, albeit a bit weird. And if you're into space sims, Elite Dangerous is something else. Never has a sense of scale been so perfectly replicated. It helps that my cockpit seats me in the EXACT same position that the pilot is in, so when I look down between my feet, I see the glass of the cockpit and it makes you feel like you're in this spaceship. So tough to explain, so much cooler in person.

But who am I kidding? My time is 50% iRacing, 35% Project Cars, 10% Dirt Rally, and 5% everything-else-together.

Dirt Rally would be something I'd spend a lot more time in if we had a PC league...for a while, that felt like it was all I played. But now that I've got my cockpit setup all complete with my vertical handbrake and everything hard-mounted, being able to lean your head to the window and watch the car pirouette around a stone outcropping in Germany is crazy. Or feeling a bit dizzy when I snap roll it 25 times down a mountain. Fun times.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Chance the Xbox Scorpio is Rift compatible?

Are FPS's possible with VR? I've read that when "moving" within the 'VR World' (ala the left stick) the user becomes nauseous. True?
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

It's possible your IPD is out of the Rift's range of motion. My IPD is like 72 or 73mm, while the Rift's official IPD range is 57 to 70. Still, you should SOME difference in the clarity of the vertical bars of the crosshair as you move them around.

As for other games:
-The Climb - Price is pretty steep for what it is, but I find it pretty enjoyable in 20 or 40 minute shots.
-Feral Rites - Have a few hours into what is more or less Double Dragon VR. Simple beat em up.
-Mountain Goat Mountain - Yes, it's basically a free cell phone game in VR, but I won't admit how much time I've spent playing it. I showed it to my wife and she spent like 2 hours straight on it until she beat my high score.
-Faceted Flight - Little stunt flying game. Pretty fun.
-Lucky's Tale - Worth the time IMO for Mario 64 style game. Maybe 5 or 10 hours to get through?
-BlazeRush - Combat RC Pro-Am style game. Pretty fun, and VR adds to experience.
-Minecraft - It's Minecraft. In VR.
-Windlands - Pretty fun spider-man style platformer. I played the early version a bit last year on DK2 Rift, but still have yet to dive in to official release. Soon.
-Eagle Flight - New flying game, planning on picking it up soon.
-Chronos - A little bit of Resident Evil, little bit of Dark Souls, little bit of Zelda. I have a few hours in but wasn't getting hooked.
-Subnautica - Meaning to try this one (not a VR exclusive game), some really like it.
-Elite: Dangerous - Another one people rave about, particularly if you go full 9 yards with physical HOTAS controls that match in game graphics, download voice command pack to your favorite sci-fi character. Others say it's basically a "space trucker" game, putzing around making shipments to earn money.
-Darknet - Puzzle game. Meh for me.
-Omega Agent - Jetpack game. Kept me interested for a few hours.
-Eve Valkyrie - Space dogfighting. Another meh for me.
-House of the Dying Sun - Steam game. Another space dogfighting game with some more depth in tactical commands. I only dabbled with it.
-Euro Truck Simulator - A number of fans of this one in VR. I tried it on DK2, and physically turning your head and leaning out the window to back up was pretty cool.
-Half-Life 2 - I tried this on DK2--not sure what is currently possible. After 30 minutes made me motion sick, the only game to do this to me.
-Other FPS - I played a little old-school Duke Nukem 3d on DK2. Not bad! Otherwise character rotation in first person can really mess with you.

There's a Halloween sale on horror games on Oculus store right now. I might pick up a few of those for a few bucks each, but I'm not a horror guy otherwise.

Long story short, there's no MUST play games ATM. I would play Lucky's Tale (unless you hate 3d platformers), and otherwise try whatever piques your interest.

EDIT: One last thing. Oculus just announced a new software feature of "Asynchronous Space Warp". It does some fancy frame interpolation techniques and allow games to feel like they're 90 fps when only at 45. Right now it has to be turned on with hack-ish tricks, but many are doing it and reporting they can now max out graphic options on a game like Dirt even while cranking up pixel supersampling through the Oculus Debug tool.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Found another game for you! LOL

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Next week!

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Anyone try this new Xbox One streaming feature? It's not really VR for Xbox One, but sounds interesting. I have never been able to get my Xbox One to stream to my PC.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift ... 563371842/
Xbox One Streaming
With the Xbox One Streaming app, you can play your Xbox One games directly on your Oculus Rift. Connect to your console via the app and watch your games come to life on a huge virtual screen in three immersive virtual theaters. Now you can expand your library of VR games with your favorite Xbox One titles, including Xbox 360 games that are playable on Xbox One. Xbox One Streaming requires your Xbox One console to be connected to the same network as your home PC.

* Xbox One Backward Compatibility feature works with select Xbox 360 games, see http://www.xbox.com/backcompat. Xbox Live and broadband internet required for initial download of game to console. Stream to one device at a time.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

DChaps wrote:Anyone try this new Xbox One streaming feature? It's not really VR for Xbox One, but sounds interesting. I have never been able to get my Xbox One to stream to my PC.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift ... 563371842/
Xbox One Streaming
With the Xbox One Streaming app, you can play your Xbox One games directly on your Oculus Rift. Connect to your console via the app and watch your games come to life on a huge virtual screen in three immersive virtual theaters. Now you can expand your library of VR games with your favorite Xbox One titles, including Xbox 360 games that are playable on Xbox One. Xbox One Streaming requires your Xbox One console to be connected to the same network as your home PC.

* Xbox One Backward Compatibility feature works with select Xbox 360 games, see http://www.xbox.com/backcompat. Xbox Live and broadband internet required for initial download of game to console. Stream to one device at a time.
Meh.

It's a pretty basic app with 3 environments to play on a giant virtual screen. It doesn't really offer you anything you couldn't already do by combining the Windows 10 XBOX app with a pre-existing Oculus virtual screen app like BigScreen or Virtual Desktop. It's really not worth strapping on the headset to play a video stream of your xbox even if the virtual screen is huge.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

So did anyone get the Touch controllers for Christmas, and if so any thoughts? The reviews on Amazon are overwhelmingly positive.

https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Touch-PC/ ... ulus+touch

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

DChaps wrote:So did anyone get the Touch controllers for Christmas, and if so any thoughts? The reviews on Amazon are overwhelmingly positive.

https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Touch-PC/ ... ulus+touch
I have them. They work very, very well. They're comfortable to hold, and track very seamlessly to give hand presence in a game.

There's a ton of software out for them, although a lot of it is pretty similar gameplay. It's actually an overwhelming amount to play, although admittedly sometimes I want to play a game sitting down with controller schemes refined over decades rather than standing and playing a game with Touch controllers.

I think the general consensus is that if you've already invested in the gaming PC and Rift, getting the Touch controllers is kind of a no-brainer.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Oculus Rift + Oculus Touch Virtual Reality Headset Bundle - $399

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYCUM3L?th=1

This is a really good sale for both of these items together if you have any interest in the current generation of VR.

https://www.polygon.com/virtual-reality ... price-drop

https://www.oculus.com/blog/rift-touch- ... ne-bundle/
The Oculus Rift virtual reality headset and its motion-sensing Touch controllers are currently on sale for $399, but the company has announced another permanent price cut that will go into place that promotion ends. The new hardware bundle, which includes the Rift headset and Touch controllers, will be $499 on a permanent basis once the sale pricing ends.

“Now, to continue getting the best VR experience into everyone’s hands, we’re permanently bundling Rift and Touch in the same package for $499, and available now for just $399 during our Summer of Rift sale—limited time only!” the official blog post states. “That means everything you need to play this summer’s hottest VR titles like Robo Recall, Wilson’s Heart, Echo Arena and Star Trek: Bridge Crew is now available in one box.”

The price of the hardware had already been dropped in March of this year, which brought the total price of the headset and controllers to $598. This second price drop knocks another an extra $100 off the price, and includes the games Lucky’s Tale, Medium, Toybox, Quill, Dead and Buried, and Robo Recall in the bundle.

The new bundle, at the new price, is also the first time the company has placed the entire platform — the headset and the controllers — in the same physical box. It’s a strong move, especially in competition with HTC’s $799 Vive headset, and we hope to get specific hardware sales numbers from Oculus soon after these aggressive sales and price drops.

As of today you can pick up the Rift and Touch bundle for $399 from Amazon, Newegg and Best Buy before the permanent price drop goes into effect.
All purchases include: Rift headset, two sensors, Touch controllers, cables, and six free titles when you activate Touch—Lucky’s Tale, Medium, Toybox, Quill, Dead and Buried, and Robo Recall.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

A full year later, the Oculus is still the greatest addition to PC gaming (and especially sim racing) that I've ever done.

Granted, the software support has to be right, so YMMV, but I absolutely LOVE the thing. I just wish it had a tiny fan or something inside it to cool your head off and avoid fogging the lenses if you're a sweaty bastard during long races.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

I'll bite when it comes down to $199-250.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Lone Echo Released for Oculus Rift

One of my most anticipated VR games for this year released today for Oculus Rift. I am trying not to really read any reviews as I don't want any potential spoliers, but it sounds like it is living up to the hype so far. Can't wait to try it out tonight.

https://www.oculus.com/lone-echo/

Road to VR: 9/10
https://www.roadtovr.com/lone-echo-review-oculus-rift/
Offering a suspenseful story, characters that feel human, and sci-fi backdrop that hits all the right beats, 'Lone Echo' is an impressive entry into the VR adventure genre that begging for multiple series. If the concept of "VR legs" ever existed, you won't need them in this zero-g space adventure that lets you fly with ease for hours at a time.
UploadVR: 8.5/10
https://uploadvr.com/lone-echo-review-n ... e-odyssey/
Lone Echo is a landmark achievement in three key areas of the VR experience: locomotion, UI, and interaction. The winning blend of intuitive movement, discovery-based gameplay and character-driven storytelling create a compelling sense of presence that few VR games could hope to match, while the considered pacing gives it a fresh identity. I hate to mark it down on such a trivial aspect as length, but the package simply feels incomplete, rounding off in the second act and depriving you of both the narrative and mechanical evolutions I was expecting to encounter in the third. If there’s a silver lining, it’s that I expect its sequel to be one of VR’s very best.
VR & FUN: 9/10
https://www.vrandfun.com/review-lone-ec ... smerizing/
Lone Echo by Ready at Dawn Studios is honestly one of the best games we’ve played in VR. At a price-point of $34.99 you definitely are getting your money’s worth. This is a worthy AAA VR title with an immense storyline. The game would even make sense with a full console game price tag of $59.99. Make sure you don’t skip out on Lone Echo as its a unique VR title that’s surely worthy of your attention.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

I picked one of these up from Newegg. My PC isn't quite up to the minimum specs, but I figured I'd bite anyways since it's a good price. I was able to get the "old" bundle with the Xbox One controller. Bummer, however, that my Win 7 Pro 64-bit O/S isn't recognizing the controller. Someday down the line when I upgrade to Win 10... Other specs for my PC - i5 running at 3.4 GHz, GTX 770 card, 32 gb RAM. I was worried about that combination, but I have been able to run Assetto Corsa, Raceroom, and Rfactor2, though Raceroom did require some tweaking.

I downloaded Mission:ISS, and aside from nearly hurling at one point due to some vertigo, I was having multiple "holy crap!" moments. Having done structural verification for half of the hardware in that "sim", being in Node 3 in a bunny suit at KSC before it launched, being in the mockups of the Japanese modules in Tsukuba, and seeing numerous CAD images, drawings, and internal videos while in Mission Control, I can say that the hardware is accurately modeled, be it the exercise equipment, cargo bags, or structural elements. And I knew operating the arm would be tough, but not that tough!

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Any of you Rift users have a room scale setup with 3 sensors? I got a third for Christmas and I am following several of the setup instructions (see below), but still not getting great results so I was just curious if anyone else has this working and if you have any tweaks/recommendations. Thanks!

PS - There are great deals on Steam and Oculus site for many good VR games (lots of them 50% off or more).

https://www.vrheads.com/four-sensor-rift-setup

https://www.vrheads.com/what-you-need-r ... culus-rift

https://www.vrheads.com/how-enable-room ... culus-rift

https://www.vrheads.com/oculus-rift-roo ... ting-guide

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

If you have an Oculus (or Vive), you should get his game.

That is all.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

I was already to buy and then it says "This video is unavailable". :)

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

DChaps wrote:I was already to buy and then it says "This video is unavailable". :)
:?

I can't allow you to miss out though. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHD1utOvak8

https://store.steampowered.com/app/620980/Beat_Saber/

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

That looks freaking awesome!

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

TCrouch wrote:That looks freaking awesome!
It is. It came out two weeks ago and is blowing up.
https://www.roadtovr.com/beat-saber-now ... otherwise/

I tried it last night--very satisfying to swing and slash, if I could get my wife off it!

Only 10 songs though, with proper custom song tools on the way. Some people have started sharing custom songs without proper support anyway, as well.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Thanks so much for the heads up on this. What a great "pick up and play, just one more" type of game. Force me to finally get my Rift out of hibernation and setup the room scale 3 sensor. Really fun game. This will be my go to game to show off VR when friends and family come over. Thanks again!

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Massive No Man’s Sky: Beyond Update Is Now Live With Free VR Support

Massive No Man’s Sky: Beyond Update Is Now Live With Free VR Support
https://uploadvr.com/no-mans-sky-beyond ... r-support/

Hands-On: No Man’s Sky Is About To Snap An Entire VR Universe Into Existence
https://uploadvr.com/no-mans-sky-vr-hands-on/

No Man’s Sky VR: Everything We Know So Far About The Ambitious Sci-Fi Epic
https://uploadvr.com/no-mans-sky-vr-eve ... ow-so-far/

Hands-On: No Man’s Sky VR Is A World Of Limitless Possibilities
https://uploadvr.com/hands-on-no-mans-s ... ibilities/

Haven't posted to this thread in awhile, but I have been waiting for the VR update to No Man's Sky for awhile and I am super excited to try it out. I even stopped playing the game as soon as I found out VR support would eventually be coming.
No Man’s Sky in VR is, without question, poised to immediately become the largest and most expansive VR game to date once the Beyond update releases. And to be clear: when that happens this summer, the VR support is the entire game. If you have an existing save file you can jump right back into it with VR support. It’s not a separate purchase and is 100% free for anyone that owns that game. Plus, you’ll be playing with non-VR players too. If you pay attention while playing you’ll probably be able to tell who is in VR and who isn’t based on whether or not they’re moving their hands individually.

If you’re wondering why it’s such a big deal it’s because of the game’s scope. Plenty of games exist already that let you do vertical slices of what No Man’s Sky contains, but there is quite honestly no other game like it in terms of scale and features. Sure, I can get into a dogfight in EVE Valkyrie, fly around space and drive on planets in Elite: Dangerous, explore dangerous worlds with survival mechanics in The Solus Project, scan alien life in Farlands, build shelter in The Forest, terraform in Minecraft, or fight off enemies with my friends in Gunheart. But No Man’s Sky is a bit like all those games, or the major features of all those games, combined into one. And now it’s in VR with millions of active players.

No Man’s Sky is a game without loading screens and almost completely without boundaries. You can go from digging a hole into a planet to erecting a giant mountain instantly. You can make a home base from the resources you’ve gathered, invite people over, and then get in your spaceship and fly to another planet seamlessly. You can battle other ships in space and explore caves on the surface or underwater. Soon, you can do all of that in VR too......

....Obviously, we’re here to talk about the VR, but these changes are just as crucial to that part of the game. As you probably already know, everything we’re talking about here applies to the VR version of No Man’s Sky, from the multiplayer to the farming and, yes, the creature riding. Not only have these been carefully inserted into an already massive game, they’ve been tamed and optimized for the unwieldy world of headsets. It sounds like a herculean effort but, from what I’ve seen so far, the implementation is nothing short of magnificent....

....Finally, if you don’t own the game already and are eager to jump in and start exploring, then you’re in luck because No Man’s Sky is currently discounted across both PS4 and PC for 50% off. You can pick it up off of the Humble Store, Steam, and PSN at that rate until August 21st next week.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I'm in the same boat, Don. I really shouldn't be so excited for a game that's years old, but I haven't really played it since launch. I dabbled in it a bit when "Beyond" came out, but really can't wait to try it out in full VR on the Oculus Rift S.

It checks every box for what VR SHOULD do in a game, and everybody who's played it has raved about how it's that killer app for VR.

I'm sure that's just over-hyping something (again), but I can't help but get excited for tonight.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I've been on the VR train for a long time, getting an Oculus DK1 in 2013. I remember seeing this game at E3 2014 and thinking this is what's it all about--I badly want to play this game and I want to do it in VR.

The launch of this game was such a shitshow that I stayed away, but now 5 years later I guess the time has finally come for that dream? I can't wait to try it.