Middle Earth: Shadow of War

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Middle Earth: Shadow of War

Post by Teal »

Didn't see a thread on this, but know there's interest in this title. I preordered it about three weeks ago, and it unlocked at 11pm my time last night. I put it through some paces then, before bed, and could see that this game improves upon the original in many ways. The environments are larger and more varied, thus far, the ork and uruk captains are quite a bit more varied (and damned humorous at times), the missions are greater in size, scope, inventiveness, and it felt more polished. But on the whole, as I played last night, I thought "cool, this is the last game with some improvements".

This morning (day off), I logged on and fired it up. Wow. Getting beyond the initial 30 minutes or so has REALLY begun to show the vast improvements, especially in the nemesis system. Each area has it's own unique pecking order, and really, the diversity between styles, types, and all that is very much improved. But that's just window dressing. The real improvement is in the way your nemeses adapt in combat, and how they can flat out surprise you. In combat, if you lean on a certain 'style' for too long, the captains will adapt. Say you're jumping over them to get behind them, they'll eventually catch you, the screen will say 'adapted', and they'll throw you to the ground, not letting you do that again. Same with ranged weapons, and every other approach. You have to think on your feet much more.

The other thing that has impressed me is 'ambush' attacks from captains. I'll be going along a rooftop, or slinking around stealthily, when suddenly, I get popped out of nowhere by a captain that was unseen just a moment before. There's still the 'monologue' they give before you fight them, but it's cool that they can get the drop on YOU. Further still, I "killed" a captain in one area, got the reward for doing so, all that, but he showed up in a different area, covered in bandages, and his descriptor was "cheated death". So I had to kill him again...lol. He makes a funny monologue about me thinking he was dead and all, to boot.

The best thing? Loot. They've taken what was so great about the first game, and added loot drops, chests, special timed events that drop legendary gear, all that. Not just weapons, either. Armor, cowls, bows, swords, all upgradeable with gems and runes. You can come across a vendetta now that isn't just a friend from your friend list. If you choose it, and kill him, you get legendary gear. It's got a much more "RPG" feel to go along with the "action" now.

Thing is, I haven't even SEEN the "build an army to invade the castle" aspect yet. I've been in two areas, and they're massive, and fantastic to look at. From what I read yesterday, too, a guy said he'd been playing the advance copy for 60 HOURS. And wasn't done.

I LOVE this thing so far, and can't wait to dive in some more.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: Middle Earth: Shadow of War

Post by AcemanPR »

Thanks for the impressions! This game wasn't on my radar until a couple weeks ago when I started to look at some previews. Assassin's Creed Origins still won me over between the two, so getting that on day one, but definitely going to be looking for this on sale over the black friday sales and have it put under the tree.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

This was on my hot list until I saw some videos of it. I'll still get it eventually but I'm no longer in a rush, especially with so many good games to play.

Appreciate the impressions.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Danimal wrote:This was on my hot list until I saw some videos of it. I'll still get it eventually but I'm no longer in a rush, especially with so many good games to play.

What deterred you in the videos?

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

I’m holding off till the X1X drops. Can’t wait...thanks for the impressions.
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

The visuals are going to be killer in the X.B.O.X. Because they're pretty killer now... Lol. Much improved all the way around.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Teal wrote:The visuals are going to be killer in the X.B.O.X. Because they're pretty killer now... Lol. Much improved all the way around.
I bought Mordor last winter and barely scratched the surface of it. Want to return to it over the holidays and then maybe buy this game in spring 2018 after a price drop. SHOCKER, eh? :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Teal wrote:
Danimal wrote:This was on my hot list until I saw some videos of it. I'll still get it eventually but I'm no longer in a rush, especially with so many good games to play.

Nothing in particular, I just replayed the original over the summer to get ready and then I was kind of like I've had enough. I love the nemisis system and all that but the side quest / loot crates / bread crumb stuff kind of gets repetitive when I'd rather just get on with the story if that makes sense.
Follow Me on:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Danimal wrote:
Teal wrote:

Nothing in particular, I just replayed the original over the summer to get ready and then I was kind of like I've had enough. I love the nemisis system and all that but the side quest / loot crates / bread crumb stuff kind of gets repetitive when I'd rather just get on with the story if that makes sense.
Yep. Perfect sense. So far, it hasn't felt like a loot grind in the least. I just earn some cool stuff from time to time. I'm simply glad it's there. Adds depth.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Teal wrote: Yep. Perfect sense. So far, it hasn't felt like a loot grind in the least. I just earn some cool stuff from time to time. I'm simply glad it's there. Adds depth.
I think my mistake was recently replaying the original and it burnt me out.
Follow Me on:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Danimal wrote:
Teal wrote: Yep. Perfect sense. So far, it hasn't felt like a loot grind in the least. I just earn some cool stuff from time to time. I'm simply glad it's there. Adds depth.
I think my mistake was recently replaying the original and it burnt me out.
I did the same thing. My first half hour in the new one, I was thinking this was old ground, too. But not any more.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Just discovered this is a Play Anywhere title, that might urge me forward.
Follow Me on:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

pk500 wrote:
I bought Mordor last winter and barely scratched the surface of it. Want to return to it over the holidays and then maybe buy this game in spring 2018 after a price drop. SHOCKER, eh? :)
I need to finish Mordor myself before even attempting getting this one.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

SoW does have a "the story so far" at the beginning of you'd rather just jump to this one... :D

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Teal wrote:SoW does have a "the story so far" at the beginning of you'd rather just jump to this one... :D
Yeah, but it's very abbreviated. It's a little confusing all of the abilities that you unlock fairly quickly if you don't know what is going on with the pairing with Celebrimbor, what they're even talking about when they hold a Ring (that's not The One Ring, yet it's powerful), etc.

I'd highly recommend playing the first one unless you just don't care about story or understanding it.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

TCrouch wrote:
Teal wrote:SoW does have a "the story so far" at the beginning of you'd rather just jump to this one... :D
Yeah, but it's very abbreviated. It's a little confusing all of the abilities that you unlock fairly quickly if you don't know what is going on with the pairing with Celebrimbor, what they're even talking about when they hold a Ring (that's not The One Ring, yet it's powerful), etc.

I'd highly recommend playing the first one unless you just don't care about story or understanding it.
True enough. At least watch a YouTube video of all the cutscenes.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

This one is an easy pass for me....straight up hated the first one. Didn't find it fun at all and it was a game I had been looking forward to since picking up my PS4. The new South Park game is next on my purchase list.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So listening to a podcast today and they say this game is fun and all in the video game kind of way (ie ignore the story) but the main talk in the community seems to center around the purchasable loot boxes and in fact many people are passing on the game because of it. Of course they didn't elaborate on exactly what is in these boxes or why they are necessary (their belief) at the end of the game.

Teal I imagine you are too early on for these to even matter bu do you know what is in them or their purpose?
Follow Me on:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

They're there, and I've read about them too. They'll contain anything from armor and weapons, to beefed up orcs and trolls for the conquest stuff. I read one guy who's finished the main story, and he never felt the need to buy a chest. You earn "in game" currency you can use on chests, and baddies drop it all the time. It doesn't bother me if the game doesn't "funnel" you into requiring it, which this doesn't seem to do. It's not in your face at all, either. I think some are just bellyaching because it's there at all. I don't like them, but it's not the least bit intrusive.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Just completed act 1, moving into act 2. The story is great so far, don't let anyone tell you different. Does it jibe with the LOTR events? Of course not, and neither did the first one. But it's a really good branch off story. I feel like MUCH more of a badass this time around, too. They've really fine tuned the "Batman-style" combat system, and it just feels better. In some ways, you're "re-earning" some of the same skills again, but you've also had some coalesced into simpler, more direct systems, and retain some outright. I'm beginning into the "build your army" phase, and I'm pleased thus far. Haven't come near attacking an outpost yet, but I have high hopes based on what I've seen already.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Took on my first seige, and it was quite enjoyable. You are prompted to build your army, which is really converting some captains, and the grunts they're over are added by proxy. When I had enough (though I could have added more and probably should have), I could begin the seige. There's a cool cutscene with LOTS of orcs, trolls, whatever you've got, and at that point you have strategic options. Initially, I scaled the walls and either converted or killed many of the archers, then I had two "victory zones" which were like a cross between conquest mode in battlefield and King of the Hill. Your and your minions had to occupy the zone until it "filled", then claim the zone. I lost one Captain (they bleed out when injured and you must get to them to revive them in time). One both initial zones were captured, it was time to face the overlord in the throne room. I won't give that away, because the battles differ and have unique qualities to them. At that point, you appoint an overlord to the fort and you're done. Except... Not. Now you must concern yourself with arming the fort against...online attackers. Yep. You can seige other's captured forts for your own if you choose. And vice versa. So an eye must always be kept on your captured bases. Orcs can defect and turn on you as well.

It's just a very much more fleshed out game then the first, and more polished. I'm having a blast. So much so that I'm thinking of waiting on Assassin's Creed Origins until later. Two deep games like this at the same time might be too much.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Teal wrote:Took on my first seige, and it was quite enjoyable. You are prompted to build your army, which is really converting some captains, and the grunts they're over are added by proxy. When I had enough (though I could have added more and probably should have), I could begin the seige. There's a cool cutscene with LOTS of orcs, trolls, whatever you've got, and at that point you have strategic options. Initially, I scaled the walls and either converted or killed many of the archers, then I had two "victory zones" which were like a cross between conquest mode in battlefield and King of the Hill. Your and your minions had to occupy the zone until it "filled", then claim the zone. I lost one Captain (they bleed out when injured and you must get to them to revive them in time). One both initial zones were captured, it was time to face the overlord in the throne room. I won't give that away, because the battles differ and have unique qualities to them. At that point, you appoint an overlord to the fort and you're done. Except... Not. Now you must concern yourself with arming the fort against...online attackers. Yep. You can seige other's captured forts for your own if you choose. And vice versa. So an eye must always be kept on your captured bases. Orcs can defect and turn on you as well.

It's just a very much more fleshed out game then the first, and more polished. I'm having a blast. So much so that I'm thinking of waiting on Assassin's Creed Origins until later. Two deep games like this at the same time might be too much.
Creed is on my radar :D. Can’t wait to see it on the XB1X!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Teal wrote:It's just a very much more fleshed out game then the first, and more polished. I'm having a blast. So much so that I'm thinking of waiting on Assassin's Creed Origins until later. Two deep games like this at the same time might be too much.
Yeah, I knocked out all the fortresses and have so many skill points that I don't even have anything to really spend them on. Can call a drake on command, which is always cool. This game will stay installed for quite a while just because you can call a dragon down at will, and then fly around roasting everything. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

I'm not waiting on Origins, though. That's a day 1 for me, based on all of the changes they've made to the system.