DSP Boxing thread. Ding! Ding!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: DSP Boxing thread. Ding! Ding!

Post by pk500 »

Gangrel wrote:Unlike wrestling though, you're not guaranteed a 15-30 minute bout for your money, you may be paying $100 a minute for the main event.......
Very unlikely.

McGregor has a fine chin, and Mayweather has NO power and brittle hands. This fight will go deep into the later rounds, if not the distance.

The only conceivable scenario for a stoppage is a combination of McGregor's lack of stamina and Mayweather's accuracy allowing Mayweather to land at will in the later rounds. McGregor's face will get busted up, and there's a very good chance one of his eyes will swell shut or close to shut. Then the ref or ring doctor will stop the fight, probably somewhere between the ninth and 11th round.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Mayweather might as well have demanded his opponent fight with his hands tied behind his back, while tied to a wheelchair.

Cultural event indeed.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I don't see McGregor lasting more than 5 rds. He also doesn't come across as a likable person.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:I don't see McGregor lasting more than 5 rds. He also doesn't come across as a likable person.
This fight will go at least eight or nine, probably the distance, for many reasons.

1. Mayweather has average power. His hands are brittle. He's using 8-ounce gloves. He won't unload and try for a knockout because he knows the risk to his hands is too high.

2. McGregor has a solid chin. One of his few MMA assets that translates to boxing.

3. McGregor's corner will not throw in the towel. I'm sure McGregor has instructed his corner, which includes no one with any boxing experience, to not throw in the towel and embarrass him. McGregor will be eliminated only by the ref or the doctor, not his handlers.

I see a stoppage by the ref probably in about the ninth. McGregor will be exhausted from about the fourth or fifth round on, leaving him even more opened to be peppered by pot shots from Mayweather. There's a good chance McGregor's eyes will start to swell shut, and either the ref or the doctor will stop the fight between rounds.

Watching this only because my son is having friends over to see the fight. Otherwise, I'm counting the seconds for this freak show to end so combat sports attention is focused where it should be, on the superfight Sept. 16 between Canelo and GGG.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

People think Mayweather scheduled this fight to overshadow those other fights, which are on HBO, which he supposedly wants to screw over.

Mayweather let McGregor say some racist things in the promotions for this fight, like whatever to hype up and increase the PPV sales.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I had very low expectations for this bout, so I left pleasantly surprised. McGregor had to impose his unorthodox, bigger frame to catch Money, but we all know how skilled Floyd is at counter attacking and neutralizing the odd boxing style of McGregor. As the bout went on, there was no doubt who was the superior boxer, but all kudos to Conor on his first bout. He did more than fine and ultimately in the end, despite all the possible letdown, I was entertained.

Is this the last hurrah really for Mayweather though?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

pk500 wrote: Then the ref or ring doctor will stop the fight, probably somewhere between the ninth and 11th round.
Good call. Considering he didn't sparr for the last month according to him to keep his hands healthy, it was a solid win.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

It was funny when Mayweather would turn his back and Connor would keep fighting like he was in the octagon. Other than that, I'm glad I downloaded it.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

BINGO!

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:I don't see McGregor lasting more than 5 rds. He also doesn't come across as a likable person.
This fight will go at least eight or nine, probably the distance, for many reasons.

1. Mayweather has average power. His hands are brittle. He's using 8-ounce gloves. He won't unload and try for a knockout because he knows the risk to his hands is too high.

2. McGregor has a solid chin. One of his few MMA assets that translates to boxing.

3. McGregor's corner will not throw in the towel. I'm sure McGregor has instructed his corner, which includes no one with any boxing experience, to not throw in the towel and embarrass him. McGregor will be eliminated only by the ref or the doctor, not his handlers.

I see a stoppage by the ref probably in about the ninth. McGregor will be exhausted from about the fourth or fifth round on, leaving him even more opened to be peppered by pot shots from Mayweather. There's a good chance McGregor's eyes will start to swell shut, and either the ref or the doctor will stop the fight between rounds.

Watching this only because my son is having friends over to see the fight. Otherwise, I'm counting the seconds for this freak show to end so combat sports attention is focused where it should be, on the superfight Sept. 16 between Canelo and GGG.
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Holy sh*t...it takes that kind of fight to bring Jackdog out! Hope you're doing well buddy!

As for the fight...I was entertained. Had our live fantasy draft in the few hours leading up to the fight then we hung around and ordered the fight. Made it only a few bucks a person so it was definitely enough entertainment for the 12 of us.

McGregor didn't make a fool of himself and if his fitness was better he might have actually scare Floyd a little bit but he basically gassed out in round 4 and that was all she wrote. Never seen Floyd thrown so many power shots and haven't really seen him chase a guy around the ring. So that was fun to watch.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Jack-diggity! HOLY F*CK! A sight for sore eyes. Hope you and yours are doing well!

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Jack! Hey, you old war horse! Good to see you, man. Paul called it, on the money. Didn't see it, wasn't about to fork over the cheddar for it, but I kept up with live tweets. Never thought MacGregor had a chance, but he did better than I think most people thought. I can't stand Mayweather, but he was the boxer last night, no question.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Jackdog wrote:BINGO!

pk500 wrote:

Hey Jack, you have been missed!

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

DivotMaker wrote: Hey Jack, you have been missed!
Agreed!

What up JD?!

Well done Paul. Did such a good job with your predictions you brought Jack back.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

Doing great my friends. Staying busy with Mission 22 and coaching HS football, wrestling and baseball. Loving Colorado!

Dom's home on leave so we had a fight party. Enjoyed it for some odd reason. Cotto vs. Kamegai was entertaining as well. Hope you're all doing well! Gotta get back here more often!
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Can't wait for saturday night's Canelo-Golovkin fight! My sister in law got the fight for my brother as a birthday gift so we are going to make a day of it. Hit the links for a round of golf, grab some dinner and settle in at his place for (hopefully) one hell of a fight. Can't wait to feel my heart pumping as the fight begins! This is going to be a great one!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Sounds like a perfect day, Bill.

Want to know how geeked my buddy and I are about this fight? We were asked to play with the rest of our band in a fun jam with another band this Saturday. We NEVER turn down opportunities to jam and rock.

But my buddy, who is the lead guitarist in our band, and I declined. Non-negotiable. We've had this date circled in red since the night Canelo beat Chavez and welcomed GGG into the ring after that fight to announce this mega-bout.

Hopefully this is a marquee night for what has been a terrific year for boxing. This fight screams can't-miss.

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

How do you guys see this fight playing out? I'm a pretty casual boxing fan but I'm excited for this fight. From what I've seen/read Canelo should have a good chance as a small dog in this fight?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Bakes wrote:How do you guys see this fight playing out? I'm a pretty casual boxing fan but I'm excited for this fight. From what I've seen/read Canelo should have a good chance as a small dog in this fight?
This is a true 50-50 fight.

GGG has more power, but he has shown increasing vulnerability to getting hit when fighting stiffer foes. Canelo is an excellent counterpuncher with solid power, which could deter GGG from constantly attacking.

Canelo looks HUGE for this fight. He really has bulked up. I don't think he's jacked up because he thinks a knockout is the only avenue to victory. He probably added muscle because he knows this could be a brutal, inside fight. GGG throws a lot of punches for a middleweight and rarely relents in his attack. He's happy to hit arms, shoulders and hips to break down a man before dropping TNT on his jaw.

One big plus of this fight: Both guys are TREMENDOUS body punchers who love to throw upstairs-downstairs combinations. Don't be surprised to see this fight end on a paralyzing liver shot. You will see two of the most skilled practitioners of body punching in the Sweet Science Saturday night.

The difference in this fight to me is the lead hand of both guys, not their power hand. Golovkin has a jackhammer left jab; Canelo has a tremendous lead left hook. I think GGG will be able to use that jab as an offensive weapon, not just a range finder, more often than Canelo can get off lead left hooks, which could be decisive.

One more fact to consider, sadly. This is a Golden Boy card. Canelo is the franchise fighter for Golden Boy. So expect the judges to side with Canelo in any close decision, as promoters inexplicably pay judges in boxing, not the state commissions.

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

Thanks for the breakdown. Good stuff.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Bakes wrote:Thanks for the breakdown. Good stuff.
Enjoy the fight. GO BILLS! :)

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:Sounds like a perfect day, Bill.

Want to know how geeked my buddy and I are about this fight? We were asked to play with the rest of our band in a fun jam with another band this Saturday. We NEVER turn down opportunities to jam and rock.

But my buddy, who is the lead guitarist in our band, and I declined. Non-negotiable. We've had this date circled in red since the night Canelo beat Chavez and welcomed GGG into the ring after that fight to announce this mega-bout.

Hopefully this is a marquee night for what has been a terrific year for boxing. This fight screams can't-miss.
Awesome. I know you know the heart pumping feeling during huge fights like this. Its the only sport where I get like that. Its gonna be great.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

pk500 wrote:
Bakes wrote:Thanks for the breakdown. Good stuff.
Enjoy the fight. GO BILLS! :)
Sole possession of first place in the AFC East! :lol:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Ominous news for GGG if the fight goes the distance and is close: Dave Moretti and Adelaide Byrd are among the three judges from the Nevada commission working the big bout tomorrow night.

Byrd is unbelievably inept. She has a history of head-scratching, wide decisions favoring the losing fighter. She's so bad that Top Rank has requested that she doesn't work its top fights.

Moretti has a history of going with the house fighter in nearly every close bout. That would be Canelo, Golden Boy's franchise, in this fight.

Sad reality. But keep an eye on the scores from these two judges late tomorrow night if the fight is close and the outcome is disputed. A split decision favoring Canelo in which Moretti and Byrd give Canelo a wide margin while the other judge gives Golovkin a close decision is VERY possible.

Byrd is a clown. Moretti can be influenced.

Ugh. Hopefully the power in both fighters' hands makes the judges' decisions irrelevant.

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

Just picked up tix for HBO card at Turning Stone in October!