OT: Network Issue

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Network Issue

Post by Diablo25 »

Sorry for the OT post guys but I'm in need for some guidance. Today I got my cable/internet upgraded by Xfinity. Everything went well except for one thing...my desktop PC won't connect to the internet. All my other devices connected no problem (cable or wireless) but the PC, which connects wirelessly, won't connect. It recognizes the signal (labels it 'Unidentified Network') and allows me to connect but I get no internet access. When I look in the Network and Sharing Center and click on connections it says IPv6 is connected but IPv4 says no connection. I tried numerous things (reset the router, etc.) with no luck. Any ideas? The network is listed as a Public network, which, from what I've read, may be the issue. It won't let me change it to a Private network. I'm clueless at this point. Any help, advice would be appreciated.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Network Issue

Post by Rodster »

What usually helps in those situations is to turn off both and unplug the router for 5 mins. Boot up the router first then power on the PC. In most cases it will sync to the router.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Rodster wrote:What usually helps in those situations is to turn off both and unplug the router for 5 mins. Boot up the router first then power on the PC. In most cases it will sync to the router.
I'll give it a whirl. Anything at this point. Thanks.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

With a little digging I got a message that my network adapter isn't compatible with the modem. I don't get that. The PC is like 5-6 years old but has a 802.n wireless card. Just totally puzzled at this point.

I fired up a laptop of mine and it snatched up the new connection like it was nothing. Bizarre stuff.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Now I'm seeing that DHCP isn't enabled. Evidently that needs to be enabled. Fn frustrating. Off to find out how to enable it....
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

The adventure is OVER! Figured it out. Crazy night. All three who read this thread can go back to normal thread reading :D
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Wireless networking is 90% voodoo.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

RobVarak wrote:Wireless networking is 90% voodoo.
A++ Rob. Long story short...I'm drinking bourbon right now. 8O
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

So I've got a weird issue. My new-ish desktop PC is having insane wi-fi issues. Just awful connection speeds to the network and intermittent drops etc. Completely random occurrence. There have been no hardware or software changes to a machine that had previously worked flawlessly.

Everything upstream is a-ok. I've reset routers, run speed and packet-loss tests and every other device works fine, including devices in the same room as this troublesome PC. And of course I've rebooted the PC.

Reset the wireless card and looked for updated drivers (there were none).

I'm stumped. I thought for sure it might've been a router issue or a driver problem, but neither of those looks likely now.

Also checked for malware, spyware etc. Nada.

Any ideas?

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

RobVarak wrote:So I've got a weird issue. My new-ish desktop PC is having insane wi-fi issues. Just awful connection speeds to the network and intermittent drops etc. Completely random occurrence. There have been no hardware or software changes to a machine that had previously worked flawlessly.

Everything upstream is a-ok. I've reset routers, run speed and packet-loss tests and every other device works fine, including devices in the same room as this troublesome PC. And of course I've rebooted the PC.

I'm stumped. I thought for sure it might've been a router issue or a driver problem, but neither of those looks likely now.

Any ideas?
This happened to me a few years ago and I finally figured out that my wireless router was going bad. If your wireless router is around 2 years or older, maybe time to replace.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I was going to say malware, etc. not that I'm an expert. Hell, I started this thread. Hope you ID it Rob.

I got hit with a 'Search and Protect’ spyware issue today. Trying to get rid of it has been crazy. No luck yet. One program can get rid of it (I think) but hey want money...and they ain't getting any.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Diablo25 wrote:I was going to say malware, etc. not that I'm an expert. Hell, I started this thread. Hope you ID it Rob.

I got hit with a 'Search and Protect’ spyware issue today. Trying to get rid of it has been crazy. No luck yet. One program can get rid of it (I think) but hey want money...and they ain't getting any.
It's likely you've already been digging around there, but I've found bleepingcomputer to be a great resource for killing troublesome malware. Anyway, I know what a PITA it can be so good luck...

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Physically removed and reinstalled the WLAN card and that seems to have things back in some sort of order. Not sure why it would, but as I said earlier in the thread...this is some black magic $hit we're dealing with when it comes to wireless networking.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Damn, I see I started this thread a few years back...anyways....

I am an Xfinity/Comcast customer who rents their Modem/Router combo. I'm looking eliminate that BS $10/rental fee and get my own Modem/Router. Hell, that's $120/year. I've been doing my own research but I figured I would pick your brains for some expert advice :D Any suggestions? Should I go with a modem/router combo (like my current Xfinity rental) or go with a separate router and modem? From what I've read the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 is a solid, Xfinity-compatible combo modem/router. I found some nice info at the link below also. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://stickystatic.com/tech/best-modem-cable-internet

Link to the Nighthawk mentioned above.
https://www.amazon.com/Combo-Modem/dp/B ... s-modem-20
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I had all kinds of connection problems in the past. Tried a ton of routers. Got a Nighthawk, never had a problem since. I purchased an Arris SB6190 Surfboard and have zero connection complaints, zero packet loss or speed issues.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

TCrouch wrote:I had all kinds of connection problems in the past. Tried a ton of routers. Got a Nighthawk, never had a problem since. I purchased an Arris SB6190 Surfboard and have zero connection complaints, zero packet loss or speed issues.
So you have a separate router (Netgear Nighthawk) and separate modem (Arris)? I'm looking at the Netgear Nighthawk combo.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I do the same. Nighthawk router getting its connection from my Verizon Fiber modem.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Diablo25 wrote:
TCrouch wrote:I had all kinds of connection problems in the past. Tried a ton of routers. Got a Nighthawk, never had a problem since. I purchased an Arris SB6190 Surfboard and have zero connection complaints, zero packet loss or speed issues.
So you have a separate router (Netgear Nighthawk) and separate modem (Arris)? I'm looking at the Netgear Nighthawk combo.
I never wanted my router/modem all tied up in the same device. Leave the bandwidth to the device designed for it, and the routing to the router :)

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Guys Any updates to this?

My girlfriend lives in a typical 2 story colonial home. Comcast is run into the upper corner bedroom. She has a Arris modem/router combo and it's rubbish. connectivity is iffy at best. Smart TVs always losing the networks, laptops / mobile devices are hit and miss.

Any suggestions with model numbers (if different than above) would be appreciated.

Dave
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

FifaInspected wrote:Guys Any updates to this?

My girlfriend lives in a typical 2 story colonial home. Comcast is run into the upper corner bedroom. She has a Arris modem/router combo and it's rubbish. connectivity is iffy at best. Smart TVs always losing the networks, laptops / mobile devices are hit and miss.

Any suggestions with model numbers (if different than above) would be appreciated.

Dave
Dave,

Highly recommend this one as I own one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-nig ... Id=7201035

I've heard really good things about this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-link-arc ... Id=4587500

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

tx. Divot!
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

RobVarak wrote:So I've got a weird issue. My new-ish desktop PC is having insane wi-fi issues. Just awful connection speeds to the network and intermittent drops etc. Completely random occurrence. There have been no hardware or software changes to a machine that had previously worked flawlessly.

Any ideas?
Do you have the latest firmware for your router?

Edit: Just realized your problem took place 2 1/2 years ago. Sorry. Love, Quick Draw McGraw. 8O
Last edited by pk500 on Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

TCrouch wrote:I never wanted my router/modem all tied up in the same device. Leave the bandwidth to the device designed for it, and the routing to the router :)
Co-signed.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Fellas. Per the suggestions in this thread, my girlfriend ended up with a sweet setup. She actually had geek squad come out and do the install yesterday. When they saw what she had purchased one of the guys looked at her and said "wow..you're not messing around"
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Dusting off this old thread because I need some home network help / info. Here in Munich, we have Telekom for our internet and TV, and the TV box (Magenta Box) is connected via Ethernet to the modem/router (Speedport Smart 3).

I had the TV Box connected along with everything else (Apple TV, Xbox, etc) through an 8-port Ethernet hub (or switch, whichever term is accurate: Asus GX-D1081 V3), and we’ve been having problems with TV shows freezing up and then jumping ahead and so on. Hugely annoying! Especially when there used to be Champions League, and even though all we are now watching over TV being the nightly news, it’s really awful.

The Telekom phone support guy told us that these issues usually come from the hub, and that the hub needs to have either “igmp snooping off” or must support igmp v3. Otherwise, he said to not go through the hub.

In the time I’ve had to do google searching, I only see igmp referenced wrt routers, never switches or hubs. I don’t know how or if I can configure my Asus hub at all or if it even does igmp snooping for me to turn it off.

We’d be fine with buying a new hub if need be, but I can’t find any info at all on igmp when searching for hubs / switches, so I can’t figure out which one to buy.

Anyone familiar with igmp configurations? Is it a thing hubs handle at all? What could my Ethernet hub be introducing that would be causing problems? Are there any Ethernet hubs available that would work for me, or must I give up and run two Ethernet cables to the router (pretty annoying and sort of the whole reason I was happy I already had a hub - the router is all the way on the other side of the room from the TV setup).

Honestly we almost never watch TV through the Magenta box, especially with no soccer going on. We watch Netflix or Amazon stuff through the smart TV itself which is only connected through WiFi and works great even with 4K HDR content, so I may just end up abandoning hard wiring altogether except for the Magenta box; it’s not like I’m really doing any Xbox online gaming these days anyway.

Anyway, I’d really appreciate any info anyone could give me about igmp wrt Ethernet hubs, and/or a make and model of an Ethernet hub that would work more happily than my current Asus unit seems to.