Black Friday 2015

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Black Friday 2015

Post by Inuyasha »

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Black Friday 2015

Post by Inuyasha »

Best Deal if you want an XBO - Target : Xbox One 500 GB Gears Bundle for $239 ($299 - $60 Gift card) .

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Inuyasha wrote:Updated spreadsheet of game prices :

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1&sle=true

CAG Full list by Store :

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/350 ... er-thread/
This is excellent. Thanks for posting it.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Anyone offering a good deal on a video card (need 4GB) and prefer NVIDIA?

I'm wanting to get Ashes of the Singularity.. but it requires at least a 2 GB graphics card and mine is 1 GB.. so I'd like to move up to a 4GB card like a GeForce 970.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

MizzouRah wrote:Anyone offering a good deal on a video card (need 4GB) and prefer NVIDIA?

I'm wanting to get Ashes of the Singularity.. but it requires at least a 2 GB graphics card and mine is 1 GB.. so I'd like to move up to a 4GB card like a GeForce 970.
The problem with video cards is they are fairly stable in terms of pricing and you're not going to find "deals" per se on one. You really have to pick a price point and then find the best card you can buy at that price. We're talking small improvements once you get up into the 970's price range anyway.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

MizzouRah wrote:Anyone offering a good deal on a video card (need 4GB) and prefer NVIDIA?

After trying and trying there is never a deal on a good card IMO. I finally just got a 980 off of Amazon and it was the best upgrade I've done to my PC. Far better than the SSD upgrade which I am having a hard time noticing a difference.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

dbdynsty25 wrote:

The problem with video cards is they are fairly stable in terms of pricing and you're not going to find "deals" per se on one. You really have to pick a price point and then find the best card you can buy at that price. We're talking small improvements once you get up into the 970's price range anyway.
Thanks.. I found a 960 4GB for $209 and a 970 4GB for $299 - is it worth the extra $90 to go with the 970?

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Danimal wrote:
After trying and trying there is never a deal on a good card IMO. I finally just got a 980 off of Amazon and it was the best upgrade I've done to my PC. Far better than the SSD upgrade which I am having a hard time noticing a difference.
I've priced the 960 and 970 above as $300 or lower is my price point. I have a great i7 and 16 GB of ram.. so upgrading from my 650 Ti should be a huge improvement.. although it runs the type of games I play off steam maxed now. Ashes of Singularity requires a damn good rig to really play it like it's being designed to play. I bet it would look awesome on your 980!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

MizzouRah wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:

Thanks.. I found a 960 4GB for $209 and a 970 4GB for $299 - is it worth the extra $90 to go with the 970?
Like I said, buy the highest spec'd card you can afford. You'll never regret spending more money IMO. You will however regret it when you skip a few frames one time in the future and say damn I wish I had gotten the 970. :) Same thing with buying TVs...always buy one size bigger than you initially thought.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Like I said, buy the highest spec'd card you can afford. You'll never regret spending more money IMO. You will however regret it when you skip a few frames one time in the future and say damn I wish I had gotten the 970. :) Same thing with buying TVs...always buy one size bigger than you initially thought.
Ok.. I'll wait until Christmas as I'll get cash from my mom, then get the 970 or 980 depending on the price.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

If you don't game in 4K (especially if you just do 1080p), the 970 is worth it, and the performance gap isn't that big for the 980. I originally bought a pair of 4GB 970s when they released, as the specs looked similar to the 980s, and the performance hit wasn't enough to steer me away.

It wasn't for a couple of weeks afterward that it turned out that the card actually runs two separate clock speeds....3.5GB of it at a higher clock speed, and .5 at a much slower clock, resulting in stutters for some people, especially at ultra-high resolutions.

Now, I've run in 2560x1440p in everything with not a single complaint (other than software-related issues where they don't support SLI very well with stuttering textures, flickering, issues that are standard to new releases on SLI/Crossfire configurations), so if money's an object at all, I doubt you'd have any issues whatsoever coming from a 650 Ti to a 970.

But if you plan on getting a 4K monitor (I've got one I dabble on from time to time at 3840x2160 resolution), and even 8GB of 970s in SLI tend to cough a bit. I have to turn stuff to medium/high instead of all-ultra.

But if you're planning on going 1920x1080 or even 2560x1440, you'll be more than fine with a 970. And if you don't have to have 60FPS or higher in everything you play, you won't care a bit.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

To contrast what Terry said, I spent a little bit more on a single GTX 980 instead of two 970s and I run every game at 2560x1440 and I have yet to experience any issues at all. So go 980 if it's a single card configuration (I hate SLI/Crossfire FYI).

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Exactly--I would wholeheartedly recommend going with one beastly card over two cards. Windows 10 is supposed to help some of that by allowing a game to use the entire video RAM amount as one big chunk, instead of 4GB load split between both cards, but it's probably a year or two before we see games that actually do that.

I've had a lot of headaches with SLI that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. It took Assassin's Creed Unity SIX MONTHS to be patched enough to play in SLI. Same with Dragon Age Inquisition, and most of the big games I want to play. I just tried Far Cry 4 again, as it had ghosting and general unplayable crap everywhere in SLI.

But I was just addressing the 970 vs. 980 thing, mostly. If he's going to be gaming in 1080p, I doubt the 980 is a vast jump over the 970, for the $$. Every benchmark I saw was a minimal jump at 1080p, but it still depends on how much more it is when it comes time to buy a card. If he's still gaming on a 650Ti, I doubt he's going to notice a huge difference between the 970 and 980 :lol:

Maybe in 5 years when he's still on that card...

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Thanks T!

I agree.. I'll get the 970.. probably can grab one for under $300 next month. I just game in 1920x1200 so with my CPU, Ram and the 970 I should be able to run AOTS with high settings no problem.

Much appreciated everyone!!!

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I need some games for PS4 so I can get back into play that system more.

Right now I have Bloodborne on my PS4 list to get on BF. Nothing else.

What do you PS4 gamer's recommend? God of War good? Any other exclusives? And any other multiplatform games where it's clearly better than it's XBO counterpart?

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

970 with game for 250,

http://dealnews.com/Zotac-Ge-Force-4-GB ... 07927.html
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Pete1210 wrote:

970 with game for 250,

http://dealnews.com/Zotac-Ge-Force-4-GB ... 07927.html
Thank you!

Disregard my PM.. this link works fine! $50 cheaper than I could find it.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Inuyasha wrote:I need some games for PS4 so I can get back into play that system more.

Right now I have Bloodborne on my PS4 list to get on BF. Nothing else.

What do you PS4 gamer's recommend? God of War good? Any other exclusives? And any other multiplatform games where it's clearly better than it's XBO counterpart?
I really liked Until Dawn. Very short game (maybe 10 hours), but has replayability because there are a variety of endings. It's like an interactive horror movie.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Well I missed that sale as I had to work.

I did pick this one today and ordered it: ASUS Graphics Cards TURBO-GTX970-OC-4GD5

Got it on Amazon for $308.99 plus a $20 rebate. Not bad.. thankfully my mom and dad gave me my Christmas money early. :)

Now all I need is my 750W power supply - which I should be getting on Christmas and I'll be all set for Anno 2205 and Ashes of the Singularity.

I'm like a 44 year old kid... I guess it keeps me out of the bars. ;)

* Since I have a GeForce 650Ti now.. I can just install the 970 and boot up correct? I shouldn't need to remove drivers or anything should I? I believe the driver works for all GeForce cards?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

MizzouRah wrote:* Since I have a GeForce 650Ti now.. I can just install the 970 and boot up correct? I shouldn't need to remove drivers or anything should I? I believe the driver works for all GeForce cards?
Seriously, you should ALWAYS re-do your computer when adding new hardware. In theory, it'll work fine, however it might not perform perfectly and bugs/issues that arise may just be software and registry issues. Clearly you build your own machines so this shouldn't be that big of a deal. It most likely will work, but it doesn't make sense to NOT format and start fresh, especially with something as important as the video card.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

With the current video cards by Nvidia and AMD you can get away with it now because of their unified video drivers. I have done that in the past with no issues. Just make sure to check the box "clean installation" when you install the new video drivers. If your not updating the drivers uninstall the old drivers first, power down the system, install the new card, then reinstall the drivers when the system is back up and running.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Need to find a good deal on a GTX Titan Z. All that talk of video cards in the other thread has me getting tired of dealing with crap from my SLI config.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Seriously, you should ALWAYS re-do your computer when adding new hardware. In theory, it'll work fine, however it might not perform perfectly and bugs/issues that arise may just be software and registry issues. Clearly you build your own machines so this shouldn't be that big of a deal. It most likely will work, but it doesn't make sense to NOT format and start fresh, especially with something as important as the video card.
There is really no need to redo a computer OS just because your upgrading the video card. That would be a PITA :)

Like Rodster said... since drivers are unified now, I should just be able to shut down the computer, install the video card, boot up and it find the new card. Typically I do an "uninstall" of the old drivers so I was wondering if I really needed to do that.

I think I'll uninstall all the NVIDIA GeForce Experience stuff, then uninstall in device manager.. power off, install the card and after boot up, I'll go out and reinstall the NVIDIA GFE software. Sounds like the best option to me.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yes it's a pain in the ass, but it's the way it should be done. It will likely work just fine the way you want to do it, so go sick. Just remember this thread. ;)

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

We should rename this the PC Video card discussion thread :-D
GT = Wilk5280