Oculus Rift

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by Naples39 »

The new v2 Devkit was announced for preorder today.

It appears to be more or less the same as the "Crystal Cove" unit at CES. HD OLED screen with low-persistence, full positional tracking, etc...

I actually sold my v1 devkit yesterday for $200. The new one is $350 and shipping in July. I presume it basically solves my issues with v1, but I am not immediately preordering v2 this morning. Still need to weigh the costs, expected release date of consumer product...etc.

Still very exciting to see tangible steps towards release!
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

sportdan30 wrote:Interesting......Facebook??

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/03/25/fa ... -2-billion
From a gamer enthusiast standpoint, there is little to gain and A LOT to lose with Facebook ownership.

The most immediate concern is the new overlords pushing out the product too quickly or cheaply.

And god knows what Facebook intends to do with this a few years down the road.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Mojang pulling out....will not make a VR Minecraft as previously planned.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

CEO Kaz Hirai
‏@KazHiraiCEO
With Facebook’s Oculus Rift, you will get to experience what it’s like to be in a room of targeted ads based on your Facebook profile
BURN.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Yeah, can't find any spin suggesting this is good news for gamers...

Sony looks to have an opening for Morpheus with a dedicated platform for this tech. Hopefully they can close the seeming narrow gap between where their demo units and Crystal Cove appears to be.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I think it doesn't look quite so bad the morning after. There are plenty of reasons for concern, particularly in the long term, but I actually believe in the short term it will probably be a boost.

Palmer Luckey (founder) has been on reddit and has basically said they will operate independently, and use Facebook's billions for custom manufactured parts and now they don't need to turn as much a profit (if any) off the hardware itself. The claim is that the result will be a better and cheaper headset.

He also said they can do more on the software side now too, and there will be announcements there soon.

I still think Oculus has better potential than Sony because Oculus will be on an upgradeable, open platform. VR demands will make the PS4 seem kinda weak over time, and PC remains friendlier for indie devs than consoles.

Just time to wait and see really.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Everyone I talked to who was at GDC said OR is head and tails the more sophisticated tech. It's not necessarily terrible news at this point, it's just people don't like Facebook. If Google had bought them there wouldn't be any bad PR.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:Everyone I talked to who was at GDC said OR is head and tails the more sophisticated tech. It's not necessarily terrible news at this point, it's just people don't like Facebook. If Google had bought them there wouldn't be any bad PR.
Spot-on, Dan: http://adage.com/article/the-media-guy/ ... ok/292331/
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Danimal wrote:Everyone I talked to who was at GDC said OR is head and tails the more sophisticated tech. It's not necessarily terrible news at this point, it's just people don't like Facebook. If Google had bought them there wouldn't be any bad PR.
I agree with this and admit to my own bias with it, and it occurred to me afterward that Google wouldn't have been met with such consternation... It's just when one thinks "Facebook" and "games" it triggers a revulsive reaction :)

That said, I acknowledge and hope Sony closes the performance gap between its hardware and the Rift.

Finally, I've moved away from PC gaming, personally, and await what platforms OR might become available to me without investing heavily in a new gaming rig. The standardization and ubiquity of consoles is more appealing to me at the moment.

That said, the openness of OR is a boon. Sony would do well to ensure indie support for Morpheus as full-fledged retail experiences could be a tough sell for publishers and limiting for the platform.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

The more people that get into VR the better as far as I'm concerned. I hoping for something similar to a holodek before I die.
Follow Me on:

TRI
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by TRI »

I think both virtual reality and augmented reality have huge potential. Right now augmented reality is very limited by FOV and most headsets are limited to 14 to 40 degrees which is way below where it needs to be if a truly immersive experience is to be realized. Oculus Rift has a much greater FOV but it is a virtual reality headset. Can you imagine playing an augmented reality soccer or tennis game in your backyard with no need for any controller? I can and it just might be realized someday. I am already old and maybe will not ever see this but we can imagine, can't we?

The most advance augmented reality headset is the Meta space glasses which will cost around $3650.00. That is very expensive but it is like Google Glass on crack and has some very impressive tech. Oculus Rift is by far the best virtual reality headset. There are some others that are interesting but not as seemless as the Rift.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

So I can't let E3 go by without anything on Oculus.

Oculus isn't talking about any new hardware iterations or release dates, but is showing some new software.

Elsewhere;
"The next six months is going to be crazy," says Oculus's 21-year-old founder. "We’ve got a lot of stuff going on." Read what you like into that, speculation fans, but Luckey and his team are definitely working flat-out to create the consumer version of their already revolutionary virtual reality headset. "The first consumer version will be a lot better than DK2 [the current developer kit] - a lot better. There’s a lot of unannounced things we can’t talk about, but it’s going to be a lot smaller, a lot lighter, cheaper, wider field of view, higher resolution and higher framerate.
The CEO has also said elsewhere they have a consumer version prototype.

Does this mean it will come out in 2014?? So hard to say. Either way I am really tempted to order a DK2, which I would probably get in August. Gives me at least a few months to play with it and/or just flip it at least. I had been planning on waiting for the consumer version, but the release date uncertainty is eating at me.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Naples39 wrote:Either way I am really tempted to order a DK2, which I would probably get in August. Gives me at least a few months to play with it and/or just flip it at least.
I was listening to Patrick Klepek on the Giant Bombcast and he said the DK2 was so much better than the original that it was hard to go back after E3.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

For anyone still keeping score, Oculus still hasn't announced final specs or a release.

In comes Valve, who are now demoing a headset. The headset itself is pretty similar to Oculus's latest prototype, but Valve has added "Lighthouse" base stations. Those base stations go in the corner of the room and give you full room tracking of the headset, as well as two wii-mote like controllers to track where your hands go in virtual space. That's pretty big, as speaking from personal experience, the first thing everyone does when looking around with a headset is put their hands in the air to check if they're there. Of course then the software really has to be designed to use that function.

Valve's headset is being produced by HTC, and is confirmed for a holiday 2015 release.

Personally, I am sold on the technology. I have a DK2, which is pretty fun, but has frustrating limitations (mostly still needs more display resolution, and as a prototype, software support is great one moment and maddening the next). I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I'm still waiting for delivery on that.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

The Valve stuff looks pretty good, a release date is a big deal. Listening to the Giant bobmbcast and I agree if they release HL3 with this thing and said it would only run with this, they would sell a lot of units.
Follow Me on:

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

I'm happy to see Valve throw its hat in the ring. I'm favoring PS4's Project Morpheus at the moment, as I've long been distant from PC rigs that could handle the heavy requirements that VR will bring. Hell, I've been distant from PC gaming in general.

But perhaps if either of the offerings from Valve or Oculus wow the masses, I could revisit getting back in the game so to speak.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Oculus finally has a release date; q1 2016. Information on it will be rolling out the next few weeks.

It's good to finally have a date, although I was holding out hope for an e3 reveal and summer 2015 release. Assuming Valve/HTC can meet their release date, they'll beat Oculus to market by a few months.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Announced a partnership w Microsoft to stream XB1 games to the headset. Awesome idea however you need a fairly powerful PC to be able to do it. Not sure how big that market is.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Announced a partnership w Microsoft to stream XB1 games to the headset. Awesome idea however you need a fairly powerful PC to be able to do it. Not sure how big that market is.
I know it's at least 1. 8)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Announced a partnership w Microsoft to stream XB1 games to the headset. Awesome idea however you need a fairly powerful PC to be able to do it. Not sure how big that market is.
I know it's at least 1. 8)
Well 2...but that's not my point. Haha.

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

I have a DK2 sitting on my desk at work. I have been developing for it for a while now. I don't think the technology is there yet. It is getting closer, but its not there. The resolution is not good enough, pixelation is bad and the chance of motion sickness is high even when using the best practices.

Most people, the first time they wear it, get a big smile on their face. This was true for me and everyone I have seen put the thing on. Within a few seconds, they are ready to get it off.

I am much more interested in the hololens... as an engineer and a user.
XBL: bdunn13
PSN: bdunn13

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Oculus also unveiled tracked hand controllers. Looks like Rift and Vive will be pretty similar visually and controller wise (oculus still scheduled for later release though).

I'm not sure there's much point to the MS partnership at this point, as Windows 10 was already going to support XB1 steaming, and there already are virtual desktop/cinema apps for Rift. It's unclear that the partnership will bring that we wouldn't get anyway.

I'm still pretty excited about the VR headsets. At its best, it's so immersive, and it's still pretty nice for non FPS/VR content. Some third person stuff looks great and is still immersive, or it can just be virtual cinema for massive screen gaming. I sold my DK2 a while ago, and decided to focus on old fashioned gaming until consumer release with better resolution and completed software.

Lastly, Hololens looks really cool, but that prototype looks really far from release to me. It's still too far off and aspirational to make an informed judgment IMO.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'm working the Porsche GT3 Cup Canada race this weekend in Toronto during the IndyCar show, and there's an iRacing simulator equipped with Oculus Rift in the fan area. Big lines, very popular.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425