OT: Apple Tablet Tomorrow - Mgraw-Hill CEO soon to be dead

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Apple Tablet Tomorrow - Mgraw-Hill CEO soon to be de

Post by Spooky »

So weird - I never have felt like I've had to wait for an animation. How long do you have to wait? Are you referring to when you are in an app and hit the home button? Can your brain and thumb actually move fast enough to have already keyed in another action in the time the animation occurred? (honest question) I don't understand.

I am sitting here doing all sorts of stuff on my phone trying to figure out where an animation would prevent me from interacting faster.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Spooky wrote:So weird - I never have felt like I've had to wait for an animation. How long do you have to wait? Are you referring to when you are in an app and hit the home button? Can your brain and thumb actually move fast enough to have already keyed in another action in the time the animation occurred? (honest question) I don't understand.

I am sitting here doing all sorts of stuff on my phone trying to figure out where an animation would prevent me from interacting faster.
Yes. That's what I'm talking about. Maybe it's the apps I use...I don't know. It's not seamless I know that. There's keyboard lag in quite a few places as we'll so even though I'm typing on an iPad...I'm still too quick for it. It has improved since going from the mini to the air so maybe that's why you're not seeing it since you're using better hardware than I was. But even on the air it's not as I'd expect from apple.

Let's take this to Pms if you want more info as I don't want to destroy this thread because I'm a nit picker. Haha. Overall the Air is a fantastic product so I'm trying not to completely bash it as a whole.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Sold my iPad 3 and bought a air today. Pretty amazing. Love it.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Spooky wrote:So weird - I never have felt like I've had to wait for an animation. How long do you have to wait? Are you referring to when you are in an app and hit the home button? Can your brain and thumb actually move fast enough to have already keyed in another action in the time the animation occurred? (honest question) I don't understand.

Yes. That's what I'm talking about. Maybe it's the apps I use...I don't know. It's not seamless I know that. There's keyboard lag in quite a few places as we'll so even though I'm typing on an iPad...I'm still too quick for it. It has improved since going from the mini to the air so maybe that's why you're not seeing it since you're using better hardware than I was. But even on the air it's not as I'd expect from apple.

Let's take this to Pms if you want more info as I don't want to destroy this thread because I'm a nit picker. Haha. Overall the Air is a fantastic product so I'm trying not to completely bash it as a whole.
I hear ya. Was just curious where you were seeing the issues. I find it interesting because I am very nit picky as well around these types of things (not only is it in my nature but it is part of my career).

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Best Buy is discounting $50 on all iPad Air models.

Upgrade time for my wifes retina Ipad 3.

I'm loving the Retina mini btw.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:Best Buy is discounting $50 on all iPad Air models.
Good lookin' out jLp vAkEr0! Was hoping to see an iPad Air deal soon because I've been waiting to update my current iPad (which has been struggling of late). Just ordered a new 64 GB iPad air from Best Buy. Thanks again dude.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

Diablo25 wrote:Was hoping to see an iPad Air deal soon because I've been waiting to update my current iPad (which has been struggling of late). Just ordered a new 64 GB iPad air from Best Buy. Thanks again dude.
I recently updated my iPad to an iPad Air and I absolutely love it! It has almost replaced my laptop use.

I never liked my old iPad due to the size. I was struggling to decide on which one to go with, the new iPad Mini or the iPad Air. I felt that the iPad Mini's screen was a little too small for my tastes. The iPad Air's screen and body size is perfect!

-MERACE

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

MERACE wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:Was hoping to see an iPad Air deal soon because I've been waiting to update my current iPad (which has been struggling of late). Just ordered a new 64 GB iPad air from Best Buy. Thanks again dude.
I recently updated my iPad to an iPad Air and I absolutely love it! It has almost replaced my laptop use.

I never liked my old iPad due to the size. I was struggling to decide on which one to go with, the new iPad Mini or the iPad Air. I felt that the iPad Mini's screen was a little too small for my tastes. The iPad Air's screen and body size is perfect!

-MERACE
Great to hear Merace. I was considering the mini too but went the same way you went for the same reasons.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

One of the main attributes is indeed how light it feels. That's the first comment I hear from colleagues wanting to check it out, and that's even with the smart cover on.

Between my 64GB iPad air and Android HTC 1, I am pretty much set mobile wise.

Rumor is that a larger iPad version is on a way this coming Fall, making the laptops less popular.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The Air is definitely more useable compared to the Mini. Once they slimmed the full sized down I was in. That said...I still think 8.3 is the ideal size for a tablet.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

My iPad Air arrive yesterday and it is as advertised. Man is it light. It is bizzare how light it is. I only got to mess with it for a short time last night but it is much 'snappier' than my old iPad 3. Looking forward to using it more.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

I am starting to feel like the kids who got the bad toy (mini) than the cool kid who got the best toy (air) lol

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

There's speculation of an iPad Pro, which would be a 12 or 13-inch display.

The Mini is better for taking on the go.

Of course, if you have one of the big screen phones like the Note, maybe you don't need to carry a tablet around. Or maybe even have a tablet at all.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

wco81 wrote:There's speculation of an iPad Pro, which would be a 12 or 13-inch display.

The Mini is better for taking on the go.
Thing is, my Air just feels like a mini and it's a perfect traveling companion.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Here's what it boiled down to for me, my mini gets most of it's use on the couch or lying in bed. When i want to grab it and go it feels SLIGHTLY more secure in my hand than the Air which was just a little larger (relative to new release paperback versus hard cover). For those primary reasons I went mini. BUT, the comfort level is so much closer now with these two than it ever was with the older full size iPads and mini's that it truly does come down to usage and comfort in the hand…sort of like how i picked my wife's breast implants. :D

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Absolutely love the size and comfort of my Retina Mini. Going to that from an iPad 2 made a big difference in my usage. While there are times that a full sized iPad would be ideal (in the kitchen or when sharing media - for which we have a full sized iPad 4 from work) I find the mini fits many more of my situations.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I tried to convince myself that the Mini was the ideal size, but I just had a hard time giving up the real estate of the iPad Air. Everything was just too small to read, and having to pinch and expand was far too frequent for my tastes.

I love the Air, but do find Safari not as stable as I wish it was. Hopefully that can be remedied in an update.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:I tried to convince myself that the Mini was the ideal size, but I just had a hard time giving up the real estate of the iPad Air. Everything was just too small to read, and having to pinch and expand was far too frequent for my tastes.
Exactly. I used the original mini for a long time but I always longed for just a little bit more space. That's why I still believe 8.5 is the ideal screen size...of course, that's right in between the two iPad models. That said, I am pretty much stuck with the Air because there aren't any 8.5" tablets that have LTE built in as of this moment. Supposedly Verizon is getting the LG GPad 8.3 shortly, so I would probably switch to that if true as it's pretty much the best Android tablet around (and the perfect size).

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

DB have you tried the LG yet?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Darkbandit wrote:DB have you tried the LG yet?
Yes, my sister got one, per my recommendation. I love it. I like the Google Play edition better, but as long as there is a LTE version, I don't care what software is on it. I can just hack it. ;)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

IOS 7.1 was released today. For the most part they cleaned up some of the performance issues with iOS 7. The UI is overall smoother and snappier. At least when you 4 finger close an app it's a smooth animation. There's now an option to reduce the overall white level in the UI and darken the colors.

My iPad 2 which is going on 3 years runs a wee bit smoother than my Air. Hopefully Cupertino can refine things for iOS 8 and bump the memory spec from 1-2GB on the Air 2.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

How many tablets do you have?

It may be that the iPad 2 doesn't have the same animations as the Air. They certainly cut out features on the older devices each time they release a new OS.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Well damn, that's disappointing. Got my Air 2 today...uneven backlight, getting excessively hot just downloading some apps, and tinny rattling speakers. Nice QC Apple. This sucker is going back for an exchange.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

All I am hearing is that if you have the Air one to wait for next year. But if you don't, then it maybe worth the update.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:All I am hearing is that if you have the Air one to wait for next year. But if you don't, then it maybe worth the update.
Only have a Mini Retina to compare it to. Def faster. Hope my replacement is better than this one. That's for damn sure.