OT: Apple Tablet Tomorrow - Mgraw-Hill CEO soon to be dead

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Apple Tablet Tomorrow - Mgraw-Hill CEO soon to be de

Post by wco81 »

Only nice thing to say about it is that they're pushing the A7 across both iPad lines as well as iPhone 5S, rather than use last year's A6 or A6X for the Mini.

Will speed adoption of 64-bit software and the better graphics.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah, I don't fault the mini price increase given the fact that it's actually got a decent processor now. That was my main concern with the mini in the first place...it's too damn slow, especially with iOS7 which is a bloated, animated mess. Perfectly happy with my 32gb LTE Nexus 7 after selling my USED 32gb Mini LTE for 100 more than I paid for my Nexus. LOL.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Yeah, I don't fault the mini price increase given the fact that it's actually got a decent processor now. That was my main concern with the mini in the first place...it's too damn slow, especially with iOS7 which is a bloated, animated mess. Perfectly happy with my 32gb LTE Nexus 7 after selling my USED 32gb Mini LTE for 100 more than I paid for my Nexus. LOL.
How do you like the smaller size tablets compared to the fuller size ones?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:How do you like the smaller size tablets compared to the fuller size ones?
90% of what I do on my tablet is read (RSS Reader, Twitter, Kindle and Google Play Books, forum browsing). The other 10% is watching videos and playing games. So there is virtually no productivity going on. The 7-8" tablets are perfect for that. I realized that after having both the Nexus 7 (2012) and the iPad 3 at the same time...Even tho the retina screen was fantastic, I just kept carrying the smaller Nexus because I wanted something that was easier to hold and read on. So that's how I made the switch. If I did any sort of productivity stuff like word/excel/drawing/etc. I'd want a bigger one, but I just don't, so the smaller tablets fit my usage patterns better. That is also why I dumped my first gen Mini for the new Nexus 7...it's just THAT much better to read on w/ the higher quality display and narrower form factor (and it's WAAAAAY cheaper for the LTE 32gb model).

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

The iPad Air may be easier to hold since it's lighter. Of course its footprint is probably still too big to carry around all over the place. Like mounting it on your dash to use as a GPS for instance, though that video they showed, people were using the full-sized iPad in all kinds of situations, like the guy who had it mounted on his hang glider.

The iPad Mini with Retina is actually a bit thicker and heavier than the first iPad Mini.

Actually, on specs and price, the Kindle Fire HDX looks great on paper. But it has weak app. support and no LTE option.

Other thing that kind of irked me is that they're charging $69 and $79 for those smart covers. I paid $49 for the one for my iPad 3.

For that kind of money, it better make your iPad waterproof and resistant to damage from being dropped.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:Actually, on specs and price, the Kindle Fire HDX looks great on paper. But it has weak app. support and no LTE option.
It does have real good specs actually better than the N7 2nd gen but the OS lockdown is what holds it back. I still have last years KF-HD and I see no reason to upgrade.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

DB have you had any problems with the screen like people seem to be talking about? I am thinking about getting rid of my mini for a N7 as well.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Darkbandit wrote:DB have you had any problems with the screen like people seem to be talking about? I am thinking about getting rid of my mini for a N7 as well.
To be honest, the screen isn't nearly as sensitive as the Mini (and has been proven many times over in independent tests)...so it's pretty tough to type on. The form factor, the screen...all fantastic and better than the Mini IMO, but the wonky touch screen, and the fact that if there is no audio playing on the device, you'll hear interference through speakers or headphones is the deal breaker for me (EVERY device has this, people just don't use their tablets like I do so they don't report it).

It sucks...I absolutely love the device otherwise, but it's gonna be sold as soon as I find a replacement. There supposedly might be an 8 inch LG Nexus tablet (just got blueooth cert through fcc this weekend) and the LG G Pad 8.3 (that comes out this week) that both have my attention right now, so I'm jumping off the N7 ship shortly. I wouldn't recommend it at this point.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

Crud...I got to play around with it a little yesterday in BB and loved the screen. However all of this is seriously making me think about keeping my Mini and waiting awhile longer

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Just sold my 64GB ipad 4. I guess I will be getting the Air tomorrow instead of the Mini.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:Just sold my 64GB ipad 4. I guess I will be getting the Air tomorrow instead of the Mini.
Was considering the same thing but I think I'll try and wait a bit. My 3rd gen ipad really seems to be sluggish lately so I'm getting the itch.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Picked up the 32 GB wifi iPad Air this morning after selling my iPad 3 a couple weeks back. This thing is frickin' sweet! Love the overall look (got the space grey) and the footprint is very nice. It definitely has the look and feel of the Mini. I can't get over the light weight compared to my old iPad 3. So far, extremely impressed.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

sportdan30 wrote:Picked up the 32 GB wifi iPad Air this morning after selling my iPad 3 a couple weeks back. This thing is frickin' sweet! Love the overall look (got the space grey) and the footprint is very nice. It definitely has the look and feel of the Mini. I can't get over the light weight compared to my old iPad 3. So far, extremely impressed.
What $$$ did you get for your iPad 3?
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

greggsand wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:Picked up the 32 GB wifi iPad Air this morning after selling my iPad 3 a couple weeks back. This thing is frickin' sweet! Love the overall look (got the space grey) and the footprint is very nice. It definitely has the look and feel of the Mini. I can't get over the light weight compared to my old iPad 3. So far, extremely impressed.
What $$$ did you get for your iPad 3?
$340. I've read that Game Stop gives back pretty good credit that you can turn in to Amazon gift cards. So, that's another option as well.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Just picked up the Airmyself . Another 64GB Wi-Fi for my needs. Went originally to BB as I wanted to use my gift cards, coupons what not, but they were out of the white so I had to go back to the Apple store where I just dislike their customer service fakeness.

Anyways, was surprised that there was no line ups, just walked in, picked up my version and in 5 minutes I was out. The only thing I wasn't prepared to buy was a new smart cover as they said that I would need it in lieu of the old one.

Other than that, yes as mentioned by some of you, a beautiful light looking machinery.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

One thing that will take some getting use to is the tapping on the screen. It almost has a plasticy hollow sound. I assume they tried to thin out the screen as much as possible, and this is the result. It's not annoying, but different.

Everything moves very quick and seamlessly, similar to my 5S.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Just sold my iPad 2 for $300. Was waiting for the new Mini but popped into the Apple store today to take a gander at the Air. It's really impressive. Hmmmmm... :?
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:One thing that will take some getting use to is the tapping on the screen. It almost has a plasticy hollow sound. I assume they tried to thin out the screen as much as possible, and this is the result. It's not annoying, but different.

Everything moves very quick and seamlessly, similar to my 5S.
That was the same thing they did w the mini and I wasn't a fan of the feel on the screen.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Well I picked up an air for work and it's definitely impressive. I still hate ios7 (it is atrocious) compared to kit kat but at least it doesn't bring the device down to its knees like it did the original iPad mini. So I guess I will just have to live with it.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Don't sound so enthused! Just kidding. I certainly am very happy with the Air, and certainly think it's a fairly signifcant upgrade from my iPad 3. Can it get any lighter..seriously? With that said, while it's an impressive device, I probably would have been just fine with my old iPad for another year or two. I'm really hoping the Air will last at least a few years or more. As it stands, I love how vivid the display is and how fast it is.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:Don't sound so enthused! Just kidding. I certainly am very happy with the Air, and certainly think it's a fairly signifcant upgrade from my iPad 3. Can it get any lighter..seriously? With that said, while it's an impressive device, I probably would have been just fine with my old iPad for another year or two. I'm really hoping the Air will last at least a few years or more. As it stands, I love how vivid the display is and how fast it is.
The fact of the matter is this is a 629 dollar device (I must have a data connection) that is crippled by shoddy software. So you're right...not exactly enthused but since it wasn't my money I will happily take it and use it since our company doesn't support android corporately yet. The hardware is absolutely fantastic...I definitely realize that so don't get it twisted. I just hate the new iOS.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

dbdynsty25 wrote: I just hate the new iOS.
Still not clear on what your beef is with iOS7. I know it seemed to run slow on your mini, but outside of that (and maybe the colors) what are your main gripes?
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Spooky wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote: I just hate the new iOS.
Still not clear on what your beef is with iOS7. I know it seemed to run slow on your mini, but outside of that (and maybe the colors) what are your main gripes?
My biggest complaint is always having to wait for animations. If you exit out of an app you have to wait for the fly in animation to complete before you can do anything. It makes the entire experience feel unresponsive and sluggish which used to be the opposite of apple software. It just seems like they wanted to make it all fancy and new and ruined what made the OS desirable in the past. It's also inconsistent. Sometimes the keyboard is grey...sometimes it's white. It's just sloppy as hell. Lots of crashes and bugs as well. Just not apple like.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I honestly never noticed it to be all that slow, but did you try the "reduce motion" setting?

It just does a quick fade instead of the zooming in and out animation.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Naples39 wrote:I honestly never noticed it to be all that slow, but did you try the "reduce motion" setting?

It just does a quick fade instead of the zooming in and out animation.
Yes. I've tried all sorts of stuff. Still too slow for me. I'm obviously in the minority so apple could care less but it still doesn't mean it's good!