Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Post by Jared »

The old racing sim thread is broken...so this is the new one. Continue posting here.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

You definitely want to use GPXPatch, it give a ton of options on how the game starts, including fixing the sound problem mentioned in the other thread.

Also, the Zaz tools are a must have for installing the mods.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Where do you get these patches and add-ons, Grant?

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

johnvon314
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by johnvon314 »

Was there ever a demo for Grand Prix 4?

John

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

pk500 wrote:Where do you get these patches and add-ons, Grant?

Take care,
PK
http://www.gp4db.com/
2319!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks, dude.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I have GP4 still, but it looked absolutely horrible. Am I missing something here? I turned everything up that I could and it still looked blotchy, like somebody put a slightly blurry filter over the whole thing. I couldn't stomach more than a couple minutes of it, and forget about that interface...what the hell is up with trying to set up controls and everything being so difficult?

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

For some reason mine keeps pumping down the resolution, so with an LCD it will look kind of blurry until I turn it back up again.
2319!

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

I always had the blurry filtered look too, but some of the screenshots I've seen of the game look stunning. The interface is terrible, I agree, but once it's navigated I'm with Jimmy - when you're able to get down to some racing, GP4 has little to touch it in the racing AI stakes.

However, my latest attempt at installing it again has ended with a PC so monumentally buggered up that I'm posting this from my sister's laptop, since this connects to the Internet and my PC apparently now doesn't.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GB_Simo wrote:I always had the blurry filtered look too, but some of the screenshots I've seen of the game look stunning. The interface is terrible, I agree, but once it's navigated I'm with Jimmy - when you're able to get down to some racing, GP4 has little to touch it in the racing AI stakes.

However, my latest attempt at installing it again has ended with a PC so monumentally buggered up that I'm posting this from my sister's laptop, since this connects to the Internet and my PC apparently now doesn't.
This frightens me. GP4 seems to polarize machines -- either it installs without a hitch or causes big problems. And since guys for whom I respect their PC knowledge, such as Terry, Adam and Grant, have problems, I highly doubt operator error.

Since this is my brand-new work laptop, I'm going to avoid installing GP4 on this. I'll stick with rFactor, GTR 2, Richard Burns Rally and NR 2003.

Take care,
PK

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Yeh NP guys your not missing that much with what you have to chose from nowadays.

And since i updated GP4 it doesnt look as good as it has in the past i may have downloaded someone elses specs who had changed all the lod's and other stuff, i used to crash out and end up watching the race with the ai lol

Incase anyone is not a believer, games versus real life and end with an rfactor :twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKhQvYEP ... ed&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj4Jp7qKiDo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKnSaglVrQk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Zwb4xt ... ed&search=

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Thats too bad, because GP4 is very good. Still, it's not like there aren't a lot of other great racing games out there.

I did finally try the 1991 mod, and it is very cool. Even the race graphics that pop up look like the TV graphics from back then. Having Murray Walker is kind of cool too. (We need to get Varsha, Hobbs, and Machett on the 2007 mod!)
2319!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Gurantsu wrote:Thats too bad, because GP4 is very good. Still, it's not like there aren't a lot of other great racing games out there.

I did finally try the 1991 mod, and it is very cool. Even the race graphics that pop up look like the TV graphics from back then. Having Murray Walker is kind of cool too. (We need to get Varsha, Hobbs, and Machett on the 2007 mod!)
Agreed, both the 1991 and 1995 mods are great. My only problem with the 91 mod is that the 91 tracks won't load while i'm in the game. Instead of driving at Phoenix i'm driving at Indy. Have you run into this problem?

All the other mods work great, tracks included.

p.s. It's to bad some have blurry graphics because the game still looks sharp including the new mods.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I don't see the tracks either. I just figured they were using the new ones in place of the old, are they supposed to be the actual tracks? I would love to do Phoenix again, I remember playing the heck out of that track in World Circuit Racing.

Heck, I'll even run the ostrich track! :lol:
2319!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Gurantsu wrote:I don't see the tracks either. I just figured they were using the new ones in place of the old, are they supposed to be the actual tracks? I would love to do Phoenix again, I remember playing the heck out of that track in World Circuit Racing.

Heck, I'll even run the ostrich track! :lol:
Yeah all the 1991 tracks are there. Look at your main GP4 folder and you'll see the folder called "tracks". That's where all your new tracks are installed. Phoenix, Adelaide, Estroil and the rest are there. They just don't show up while your in the game.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Saw this post in their forums:

"While the circuit of Phoenix still this in development, put the track of Indianápolis in the place, temporarily. "

So maybe for the moment they are just placeholders.
2319!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Gurantsu wrote:Saw this post in their forums:

"While the circuit of Phoenix still this in development, put the track of Indianápolis in the place, temporarily. "

So maybe for the moment they are just placeholders.
Thanks I saw that myself on a couple of other forums. My problem now is that all the tracks are out of order in the 91 mod. If I select Silverstone I get Canada, if I want Hockenheim I get something else. Weird cause it's only this mod. All the others load and work correctly.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I think with all the mods installed it might get a bit wonky. I did reinstall my 1995 mod last night because it keeps getting an error when I exit, even though it runs fun in the game. Still runs fine after the install, and I still get the error. Oh well, as long as it works.

Last night I did a 1995 race in Spain, and man it just reminded me how cool GP4 is, and how much more it actually feels like a real race.

The race started in the rain, bu the weather report siad it would be clearing up. Everyone on rain tires, huge rooster-tails behind the cars, and naturally a few cars here and there lost it in the wet and left the track. Then the track starts drying, and this is where I'm amazed what Jeff Crammond was able to program all those years ago. Parts of the track are drying faster than others, so there are puddles in sections (which reflect the cars by the way), and as cars move from dry to wet sections the big rooster-tails will splash up then stop when they get back on dry. The AI is great, Johnny Herbert and I were having a great race in the back of the pack, untill he hit a puddle and got a little bit loose and allowed me to pass. Then I'm a ways behind Katayama who also hits a puddle and goes off track into the gravel; there was no crane nearby so the car got pushed to the side and remained there for the rest of the race. Eventually Herbert started pressuring me and I lost it also, tearing the front wing and left tire off of my car in the process.

So what did I do then? Turned on the "race director" mode and watched the rest of the race like it was on TV, with the cameras switching to whatever action was going on.

Just a very cool game, and amazing when you think the the vast majority of it was programmed by just one guy.

It's a shame some of you guys can't get it running because it really has the best atmosphere of any F1 game out there.
2319!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Very cool GP4 race experience. Those are the same reasons I to this day play GP4. It has without question the best and most realistic racing AI and mimics a weekend Grand Prix. What Geoff Crammond was able to pull off in GP4 was cutting edge.

Now that Sony is losing the F1 license hopefully we might see Geoff Crammond resurface. :D

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

I think the weather effects were even better in gp3 gp4 was a little too shiny and overdone, but still the best with a drying line and so on.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Jimmydeicide wrote:I think the weather effects were even better in gp3 gp4 was a little too shiny and overdone, but still the best with a drying line and so on.
True but once you dial up the graphics settings the weather effects look very realistic in GP4. :)

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

OK now I went home and reinstalled it and downloaded that 2006 mod with the 2006 track pack and all the ridiculous amounts of editors and tools required to install it. Haven't tried to actually run the install or play it yet, but I'll tinker with it at home tonight. Is there any widescreen options now? All I had was 4:3 aspect ratios. I'm assuming there aren't since it's older, but is there any hope?

mixdj1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mixdj1 »

I've also re-installed GP4 (due to all of the praise going on in this thread) and got it patched and modded. The problem is all of the cars are white with no textures. I checked around and found that checking High Detail Cars would solve the issue. Well, it did for that one time. The next time I fired up the game I had white cars again. I went to the settings and the options were still set to High Details. Not sure what to do now.

And all of this is still before even venturing into the controls options and trying to get my MOMO working with the game.

Terry, you can manually go into the graphics configuration file and set your resolution manually to whatever your monitor supports. I have mine running at 1440x900 and the aspect ratio seems OK. Of course I still have all white cars. :x

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Not to spoil the giant erector set that is GP4 but I wanted to invite any DSP'er that wants to race Grand Prix Legends tomorrow at 6 PST in the Average Drivers Club.

The Race is in the average division and you will need the Crystal Palace track. It is a short, but fun track in London and I average around 57-58 seconds per lap.

Next week is at Zaandvort I believe...or Zeltweg.

You will need to register with the ADC to get in.

Hope to see you there.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Lots of guys have the white cars, including me. The fix is easy, but annoying.

as sonn as the game starts, go into advanced graphics options and run the test. when its finished don't let it change the default frame rate. Then the cars will show up fine for the rest of your session.

No idea why it's like that, but it happens on every zaz tools mod I use. Still, an easy fix and worth the extra mouse clicks.

And I was able to set up my Momo without too much trouble. Just make sure to save the controll set as soon as you can! Luckily once you do it will appear in every mod you use, but you will have to load it each time.
2319!