OT: Time for me to move out of Los Angeles.

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yes, they COULD be small quakes relieving pressure (7.0 and 6.6 are not freakin' small though). They also could be the plates slipping and if they slip too far, then there is a bigger slip. That's what I'm afraid of.

I was present at the time of the '94 quake about 15 miles from my house. That one was only a 6.4 and it shook the s*** out of me, collapsed overpasses, etc. That crap is NOT fun. Remember that San Fransisco quake that pretty much destroyed all of the freeways and stuff out there...that was a 7.0. Imagine what that could do to Los Angeles...this place would be a dissaster. Lets just think for a second if the 101 / 405 freeway interchage was to collapse. It is the busiest freeway intersection in the country. This city would literally shut down...since there is really no way to get to LA from a little north without going 40 miles out of the way.

eeeeeeeessssshhhhhh

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Now...one might chalk it up to coincidence...but I am not. There is about to be some major sh*t going down here in California in the next couple of days. There is just a little too much pressure building up with the ground moving and sh*t. Needless to say...I'm not standing on or under any bridges any time soon.
I live in Syracuse... and while everyone gets on us because winter lasts from October to April, at least I don't have to deal with earthquakes, tonadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, etc...

Yeah, we get about 150 inches of snow each year... but when the weatherman calls for 18 inches of snow over a 24 hr period... the only thing I have to worry about is having enough gas for my snowblower.

Good luck to all you Californians.

Rick

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah IC, I can understand that. Having said that, there aren't too many places I'd rather live than Southern California.

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Yes, they COULD be small quakes relieving pressure (7.0 and 6.6 are not freakin' small though). They also could be the plates slipping and if they slip too far, then there is a bigger slip. That's what I'm afraid of.
Destructiveness is as much a factor of duration as it is of intensity. The 89 quake up here went on for 40 sec. but it seemed a lot longer. The 6.x quake off the coast last night just felt like a brief jolt in SF.

Every seismologist interviewed seems to have a slightly different theory. It's like the geological version of our NBA playoffs thread.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Well yeah, of course SF...the one down here in '94 was for a minute...that's a damn long time for the earth to be shaking.

Either way...it can't be good to have this many earthquakes in a one week period. I think the earth may be ready to swallow up this whole state.

peabody
Mario Mendoza

Post by peabody »

I was smack in the middle of three of the four hurricanes last year in Florida. Had $15,000 damage to the house and a month of stress while it all went on.

That being said, I think I'd rather go through the hurricanes here then go through earthquakes in California. I think the biggest source of stress sometimes is the anticipation and anxiety that something might happen. I think I had more stress in the anticipation of them coming then when I was actually going through them. But still, at least in the hurricanes I could board up my house, stockpile food and water, and if necessary I can leave. In short, I have time prepare for the oncoming disaster. With earthquakes, they come from out of nowhere and in your situation you don't know if something bad is going to happen, just that something might happen.

I can understand the stress of it all, believe me. Good luck to you. Hopefully all will go well.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Ok, I've found another reason to leave LA...car chases.

They have been on the rise of late...but last night kind of hit close to home. The f'n thing ended in essentially my back yard. We've got an alley (sp?) behind our house and the damn thing ended back there. 11 police cars and two police choppers later, they've got the guy. I turned on the news a few min. in and they showed the apartment complex accross the street where they were taking him in cuffs and the guy was squirming so they threw his ass on the ground and into the back of the police cruiser. So, needless to say...it's definitely an interesting experience at 11pm at night. Good times, good times.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

When I lived in SoCal in 1993-94, the searchlight of a police helicopter beaming overhead seemingly was a four-nights-per-week occurrence. And I lived in the 'burbs in the Inland Empire, not South Central.

I thought that kind of sh*t only happened in Stalag 13. So because of that, and many other reasons, I got the hell out of there. No regrets.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Must be the influence of all those people playing GTA: San Andreas.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Car chases in LA - cause everyone out there wants to be on TV. The perps are just getting their 15 minutes in. LA is a nice place to visit but I certainly wouldn't want to live there.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Just go to www.cbs2.com and click on the "Assult Suspect Resists Arrest After Chase" link and you'll see the video.

When it ends and he's getting his ass kicked, you'll see a line of trees and bushes at the bottom of the screen next to the alley...yeah, that's my fence.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Just go to www.cbs2.com and click on the "Assult Suspect Resists Arrest After Chase" link and you'll see the video.

When it ends and he's getting his ass kicked, you'll see a line of trees and bushes at the bottom of the screen next to the alley...yeah, that's my fence.
He needs to practice on his cornering skills.

If it's any consolation, DB, I was victimized here last month...some kids left an empty mini-keg in my yard. :P

BTW, that female newscaster must make the bad news much easier to take.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah, she's not too difficult to look at.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Ahhh...now the whole city is on fire. My sisters condo and my parents house are all on evactuation alert...the entire western skyline is smoke...whereas in the east there isn't a cloud in the sky. Eerie sh*t...but it happens every year it seems. Hell, yesterday the entire 118 freeway was closed causing even more gridlock during rush hour on the 101 (the two east/west freeways in the Valley).

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Well, you did ask what heat was :)

Seriously though, I hope everyone in in your family stays safe.
-Matt

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

It's snowing in San Francisco

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

matthewk wrote:Well, you did ask what heat was :)
Yeah no sh*t...now we've got the natural heat. Every year this place turns into an inferno.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

Come on down to Fla. Hurricane season's only got 8 weeks to go :wink:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

snaz16 wrote:Come on down to Fla. Hurricane season's only got 8 weeks to go :wink:
Fire season here is only a month long...so I'll stick it out here.

This is seriously bad...I'm about 20 miles from the fires and there is ash everywhere. The CEO of the company I work for had to evacuate as the fire is basically in his back yard. It's heading west towards my parents and sister now and they apparently have it 5% contained. Freakin' 5%. It's 100 degrees and windy...not exactly firefighting weather.

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Ahhh...now the whole city is on fire. My sisters condo and my parents house are all on evactuation alert...the entire western skyline is smoke...whereas in the east there isn't a cloud in the sky. Eerie sh*t...but it happens every year it seems. Hell, yesterday the entire 118 freeway was closed causing even more gridlock during rush hour on the 101 (the two east/west freeways in the Valley).
Been in the San Fer valley my whole life....Just another day bruh....no drama.......... :D

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I'm worried bout Ventura County, not the damn valley...I've been through all the fires since I moved here in 88, so I know about it too. I also know 5 people who lost houses in the last four fire seasons.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

Stay safe my man.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Dad is at Firestation 81 on Nordhoff.

He has seen so many big brush fires in his 30 years.

I remember one fire in the summer of 86, Ventura County...all of Simi Valley was covered in ashes.

He was at this fire forever, drove his truck thorugh a ring of blaze when they were surrounded.

On their way back to the valley, the truck stopped at our house, you should have seen the fireman....they were literally "black", so beat they slept on top of the truck....big time visual for a then 14 year old.

Brush fires are the worst...nothing more scary for a fireman and the homeowners the fire effects.

Add the Santa Ana's which are absolutely vicious in the valley and surrounding areas and brush fires are the norm in LA.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Good times...a nice 4.5 quake that was centered right under my house. I love LA!

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

this has to a record for oldest thread revisited.
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr