360's Are Coming!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I didn't preorder because I thought it would be the same as the PSP...I was wrong and I paid for it. If anything, I will preorder the PS3. I may keep it, I may sell it...but I will preorder it. I can always get that money back if I don't want to keep the preorder.

Atxj
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Atxj »

I didn't pre-order at all. I honestly didn't think there would be any problem getting one at launch and I wasn't actuall sure I could even afford it.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Spooky wrote:So for folks like Leebo and all others in here desperately searching, what's your story?
I pre-ordered at EB approximately 3 months ago as a precaution. Shame on me for not pre-ordering earlier, but I've never had to for anything before. I got a PS2 at launch without camping. There were hundreds of PSPs available at launch. I walked into a Gamestop on the day that the PS2 Network Adapters were released and got one.

I have 7 or 8 Gamestops/EB, 2 CC, Target, 4 Wal-Marts, Media Play, 2 TRUs, Best Buy, 2 Sears, 3 K-Marts, Costco, 2 KB Toys, Boscov's, etc. within a 5-10 miles of home/work.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I didn't preorder because I thought it would be the same as the PSP...I was wrong and I paid for it. If anything, I will preorder the PS3. I may keep it, I may sell it...but I will preorder it. I can always get that money back if I don't want to keep the preorder.
My biggest mistake was not realizing it was a worldwide launch. Add those UK and Japan shipments to the US total and you could walk into a store and get one by Christmas.

How many PS2's shipped at launch and the first 10 days afterwards. It seemed like a lot more than 300-400k.

I will pre-order a PS3 for sure.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Leebo33 wrote:
I will pre-order a PS3 for sure.
Me too. Leave it to microsoft to guarantee more (and earlier placed!) pre-orders for Sony...

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Thanks for the responses. Whether you pre-ordered or not, it sucks that they are not available at all. I was just not sure what the consensus was on why so many here want one but were not able to get one at launch.

Danimals situation is by far the most frustrating.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Atxj
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Atxj »

Spooky wrote:Danimals situation is by far the most frustrating.
Im not saying his isn't worse, but I was 15th in line last Tuesday night at a Target that only had 14 premiums.

:cry:

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

webdanzer wrote:Me too. Leave it to microsoft to guarantee more (and earlier placed!) pre-orders for Sony...
It will be very interesting to see how many pre-orders EB/Gamestop will take for PS3. It will be funny when there are people camping out to place pre-orders.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I wasn't sure initially that I wanted one, for starters. MS wasn't very forthcoming with the info, and initially, the game reports didn't get me terribly excited. Once it got closer to launch, I thought it looked cool and would be worth the money.

Then I fell into the same trap as everyone else. Mrs. B planned to get me one for Christmas, and while I expected a brief launch shortage, I didn't think it could possibly drag out for weeks or even months.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

AtXj wrote:
Im not saying his isn't worse, but I was 15th in line last Tuesday night at a Target that only had 14 premiums.

Hey, at least that got ME a system. LOL...sorry bro, that sucks.

Atxj
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Atxj »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
AtXj wrote:

Hey, at least that got ME a system. LOL...sorry bro, that sucks.
A**.

:P

mixdj1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mixdj1 »

I had pre-ordered and was actually number two on the pre-order list at my local EB. But most everyone I talked to was saying "eh, it's just Xbox 1.5" and talking like they were going to hold off for a while so I decided to upgrade my PC and pick up WoW. I didn't regret my decision at first because I was totally addicted to WoW all summer as was evidenced by my lack of poker night appearances.

Fast forward to late October and I'm starting to get burned out on WoW, hype is really building for 360, so I begin to think maybe I do want one at launch. Then launch day hits and low and behold practically everyone I game with (Teal & PK excluded) are picking up a system, raving about how awesome it is, etc so now I want one. I figured I'd be able to pick one up in Charleston, IL (town of 10,000) when I'm visiting my family for Thanksgiving ... WRONG! And so I've been desperately searching for a system since the day of launch with zero luck. There's my story Spooky.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

For me, it was a combination of over-confidence due to the PS2 launch and the result of my PSP pre-order. I couldn't get a PS2 the morning of the launch, but wandered into Toys R Us on a whim after work and was able to get a system from some manager who happened to have a couple claim tickets and was walking through the video game aisle. As for the PSP, I did pre-order quite early on, but by the time the actual launch rolled around I had been out of work for a little while and couldn't justify paying off the rest of it and converted my pre-order to store credit. Put those two things together with the belief that the 360 launch wouldn't be as lean as it turned out to be, and no pre-order.

Still, my system should be here on Monday via the kind and merciful DSP member Hellbent, God willing. Very excited!

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

I didn't preorder because I really didn't know that I wanted to get a system at launch until October when the wife and mother-in-law said that they would come up with the cash for my birthday in November.

Plus, back in February we didn't know dick about the system. Should i have preordered anyway? Probably.

As for people who sell them for profit on Ebay, my feeling is go for it. Why should someone on this board sell me a 360 at cost?? Like someone said, it's not medicine, its entertainment. Honestly, if you sell a 360 for profit and then give $10 to the Red Cross or Salvation Army, you have done a better deed than selling me the thing at cost.

Get what you can while you can. Once the Avian flu hits, the chances are that there will be plenty of 360's just sitting on the shelves while we suffer through the pandemic. If I kick from the flu before playing Madden 06 for the 360, so be it!!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

AtXj wrote:

Your sit is worse, eventually I will get mine for free. The worst part of this is my wife making fun of me cause i am 39 and acting like I am 12, pouting every night etc.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

Has anyone seen or heard of any store getting a new shipment in yet?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

bdunn13 wrote:Has anyone seen or heard of any store getting a new shipment in yet?
No I just called 15 stores
Follow Me on:

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

This makes me think MS is doing something with the xbox. There are reports of some bad ones out there. Maybe they are "fixing" something as having product sitting in wharehouses is bad and expensive....

Where does Sony make their PS2s? As after a week after the ps2 launch I know they were trickling in stores. For the xbox 360, its the Sahara Desert.
Last edited by bdunn13 on Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:The worst part of this is my wife making fun of me cause i am 39 and acting like I am 12, pouting every night etc.
That's funny...I heard the same crap from my girl for the four days I didn't have a 360.

Dimmu
Mario Mendoza

Post by Dimmu »

I got mine today. It was a second shipment ebgames.com order that I placed on September 5th. DB is correct, this thing is a beast. I haven't even dug into the Live options yet, just played a little PGR3 and COD2. Still have Kameo & PD0 to open and check out. I was upset at missing the initial shipment, figuring it would be January until I got one but I checked yesterday and it shipped.

Hang in there and keep checking around.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Well, at least I have space in the entertainment center for the power supply since I sold my GC last year.

http://infendo.blogspot.com/2005/12/gam ... ly_02.html

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Main reason I didn't preorder was the thought that the system wouldn't be hard to find in a store after launch because of the high price tag.

I stopped in Wal Mart after work today and they had no systems but their accessories were restocked, then stopped in Gamestop and asked when they were getting more in and was told they have 60-70 preorders to fill yet and not to expect to be able to purchase any there until March.

ZXLT
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by ZXLT »

Spooky wrote:So for folks like Leebo and all others in here desperately searching, what's your story?
Let's see.

So I had called up Sears and KBToys the night before, figuring I'd found the 2 most out of the way vendors near me. Both assured me that they had Xbox 360s and would be selling them when they opened.

So I go up to the mall and get to Sears, only to be soon told that they don't actually have any 360s and wouldn't be getting them in until later in the day. Lying bastards. They took down my name and number and promised to call me. Sears opened at 8 AM, and that wasted some time.

I then headed over to the KBToys in the same mall and waited outside there with a few other people. We just talked about stuff until the store opened at 10, like what games we were getting and how we had all called the store to make sure they were getting 360s. 10 AM comes and goes; the employee finally opens up at 10:15 only to tell us that KBToys isn't even carrying Xbox 360s. Lying fools.

By then already in a state of fury, I stop by Sam Goody on the way back to Sears, only to be told that they "might" have some 360s available, but that they'd be requiring customers to purchase a total of $600 worth of merchandise (including the 360's cost) to buy one. After basically telling that guy to go kill himself, I head back to Sears, figuring I'll just sit in the store all afternoon waiting for their shipment with the 4 Xbox 360s. Of course, by then, there's already 5 people sitting in the electronics section waiting for the shipment as well. After flipping out at the employee for a little bit, I leave in a rage.

Then I took the search online. I managed to order one from KMart on Thanksgiving, only to have them send me an email several hours later that they were canceling my order. I almost ordered one from Sears.com, only to get the item in my cart, enter my info, and be told at checkout that the item was no longer in stock. I ordered one from eBay over the weekend, only to have eBay allegedly cancel the seller's account after he sold his Xbox 360s.

No Xbox 360 for me.

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

dbdynsty25 wrote:HipE's tone would be much different if two things happened:

1. He kept his original Xbox and was still allowed to play the new releases that will no doubt be released on the old Xbox.

2. Didn't find, or pre-ordered and was shut out anyway, his Xbox 360.

The system is truely revolutionary and it was the best $xxx I have ever spent on a system. I don't regret paying a marked up price one bit...

Sure, there will be a lull in the next two months for releases, but that's exactly why I kept the original Xbox around. Now I can at least Gamerang all of the new ones so I have some new and fresh content, while still enjoying the hell out of the 360 and the current crop of games.
Actually, I did keep my Xbox for the reasons you mentioned, but now that I have my 360 I'm wondering if I'll ever play it much again. I kept both NCAA and MVP for the Xbox, but I don't think I'll go back to them after playing Madden 06 360 and NBA 2K6 360. It isn't that there is anything wrong with those games now, it's just that I'm going to have a hard time going from the 720p 360 games back to 480p PS2 ports. PK predicted this a few weeks ago when he said that although people are pledging to stick with their old Xbox games for XBL play once the 360 drops, that the reality would be that everyone would actually want to spend their time playing new games made for the new system they just spent $400 on. I think I'm definitely going to be in that group that sticks with the 360, not that there is anything wrong with the original Xbox games. I just see myself over the next few months renting and playing through 360 games like Condemned and Kameo over better games that might be released on the Xbox.

I don't mean to sound like I'm not excited about the console when I say that those people that haven't found a 360 yet aren't missing that much. I'm actually more impressed with the system than I ever thought I would be, it has that same "wow" factor that the DC did for me. Even if the PS3 pumps out better graphics than the 360 is capable of, I don't see how they are going to match the amazing 360 interface that makes the system that much cooler. Things like being able to pull up your friends list and chat with a buddy or access all of your music on your pc at the touch of a button, even in the middle of an offline game, are a level of integration of features that I never expected. The console itself is such an amazing piece of equipment that you wonder how they can manage to sell it for only $400, even though I thought that price sounded ridiculous when it was announced.

If I had to choose right now though, I'd go with my HDTV and Xbox over a 360 and a standard tv. I preordered the 360 based more on wanting a system to take advantage of the tv I dropped so much money on, rather than just wanting a new system because I wasn't satisfied with what the current generation of consoles offers. The launch games are graphically impressive, and the XBL interface is definitely improved, but those things aren't combining to offer a gameplay experience that is all that much different than what is available on the current generation of consoles.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Ok take this for what it is worth. I called a couple of Meijer's, this is like my ace in the hole. One guy told me, if we had them in they must have gone out cause there not on the floor. This is the store who had been telling me Friday all week.

The next store convo goes like this:

Me: Get an 360 in today

SR: Yes, but unfortunately management has told us to inform everyone they are sold out

Me: So you got them in and they sold out.

SR: Management told us to inform people they have sold out.

I'm like WTF, so I call back and ask for the manager. He refuses to tell me anything other then "right now we are sold out"

So I call back store one (the friendly guys) talk to the manager and tell him the above. He says he will see what is going on at his store and call me back. He calls me back (I'm shocked) says they got a memo that they would be getting a shipment today for the weekend, but they haven't seen it yet.

So I'm not sure what the hell all this means, other then I will be going to Meijer at midnight.
Follow Me on: