RIP - Richard Burns

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

RIP - Richard Burns

Post by EZSnappin »

I'm sad to see he lost his long fight with cancer:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 472642.stm

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Much too young. A sad day indeed.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Damn, this really pains me. Really, really pains me. I liked Burnsie a lot, especially when he was the lead driver for Subaru. An intense driver who got everything he could out of every car he drove. Some of the battles between Burnsie and friend and rival Colin McRae were epic in the late 90s and earlier this decade.

Rumors of Burnsie's fading fight against the brain tumor surfaced this summer, and he did not look well at all in the photo I saw from his surprise appearance at the RallyDay gathering in August.

But it's still hard to believe that a super-fit guy who was near the top of his craft when he was stricken now is gone. 34 years old. Much too young, much too soon. Further proof that cancer is the No. 1 scourge of this planet, and it must be eradicated as soon as possible.

RIP, Burnsie.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

This is really sad news. Obviously he was a great driver, and from the interviews of him I have seen he seemed like a good guy too.

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

Very sad indeed

BBReBozo
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by BBReBozo »

Just horrible, if not unexpected, news. I always loved Burns on the track yet always felt a bit irked by his smugness off... until I realized that it was precisely that smugness that helped him do such amazing things on the track. The guy wasn't really a jerk, he was just supremely self-confident, and his 2001 WRC championship will be a lasting legacy of proof.

I really got into rallying about 1998, right smack dab in the middle of Tommi Makinen's impressive run of title wins. As dominant as Tommi was back then, it was hard not to notice Burns' ability behind the wheel. For many, Colin McRae is the premiere Subaru driver, thanks to his 1995 championship win. For me, and no offense to Petter Solberg's amazing accomplishments, whenever I think of Subaru, I'll always think of Burnsie.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Yeah, BB, I can always remember you and I calling Burnsie "Dick Burns" when we talked about him. But like you, I realized that he wasn't smug at all but instead incredibly disciplined and analytical about his job. He didn't suffer fools gladly and expected everyone on the team to have the same approach he did.

Colin McRae and Burns were good friends but incredible foils and so much fun to watch battle. Here were the two top dogs from the UK in the WRC, fighting for the world title and the allegiance of British rallying fans.

Burnsie was an Englishman; McRae a Scot. Burnsie was neat and precise as hell with his driving; McRae throws a WRC car sideways like it's still a Group B car from the 80s. Burnsie was analytical as hell about every aspect of the sport; McRae drives from the seat of his pants and the stem of his balls.

God, it was so much fun to watch those two go at it on the stages, especially in the Rally GB in 2001 where Burnsie edged McRae for the title.

The sad thing is that Burnsie would have been so damn good in the WRC the last two years, as the active differentials, and tire and shock setups on the cars have favored neat and tidy drivers such as Loeb way more than wild sliders. It would have been in Burnsie's element so much.

RIP, Burnsie. A really sad day.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

A final, sad irony about Burnsie's passing: He died on the fourth anniversary of his WRC title, to the day.

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Here's an online condolences book at Burnsie's Web site for any who are interested. Nearly 11,000 messages have been left since Friday, a true measure of this guy's worldwide popularity and reach.

http://www.richardburns.com/memorials/

Take care,
PK

P.S.: Here are two pics of Burnsie I really like:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The Dec. 1 edition of Autosport has an OUTSTANDING and lengthy tribute to Burnsie. Well worth buying on the newsstand if you don't subscribe.

Autosport is a British weekly publication, so you'll need to go to a good bookstore to find it in the U.S. But Autosport is a GREAT read if you're a worldwide racing fan, and this edition is especially poignant.

I'm lucky that work picks up my Autosport subscription. But it's so good I would pay the $170 annual subscription without much thought.

Take care,
PK