***** Official Xbox 360 System Impressions *****

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Wrekcut1
Mario Mendoza

Post by Wrekcut1 »

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but have you guys noticed that you can chat while with anyone while playing different games. I was playing the COD2 campaign and a buddy of mine was playing PD and we could chat while playing. They made the XBOX live interface on top of every game. Very nice.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

I just picked up my box, where I was the first person on line when EB opened at 8 am. It was ridiculously easy, considering all the problems that other people are having getting their hands on a console. Just a few brief impressions-

The console itself is very nice- it looks a ton better than the old Xbox sitting under the TV. Everything screams quality about it, from the wireless controller (really a thing of beauty) to the DVD controller to the interface menus. No complaints at all on that account. The power cord is definitely huge, but it's tucked away behind the unit and impossible to see.

On to the games. I picked up Madden, COD2 and NBA2K6, and I also threw in Halo 2, just to see how it would look. Basically, it looks fine, a little sharper perhaps. As for the next gen games, let's just say that the difference in the quality of the graphics is hugely noticeable, even on a standard television.

NBA2K6 is simply the best basketball game ever made, period. The internet videos didn't come close to showing how obvious the graphical upgrade is even in playable camera angles. The control is extremely smooth, the player movement continues to be fantastic, and the replays look great. Having been prepared for a huge discrepency between the quality of the player models and the crowds/arenas/coaches around them, I find myself not bothered at all by the way it looks. This is probably going to end up being the best sports game on the console (although I'm sure NHL2K6 is terrific as well).

You could get a feel for how good COD2 was going to be by the quality of the trailer. Suffice to say, the graphics and the sound are absolutely mindblowing. There has never been a game that has managed to capture the feeling of being in a firefight like this one, as there is just noise and chaos all around you when you are in the combat zone. I'm not totally thrilled with the controller layout, as I prefer Halo's set-up, but that's a minor, minor complaint.

Madden is the most problematic of the three titles. On the one hand, it definitely looks great, particularly in cut scenes and on replays, and there is much that is improved. But the gameplay is nowhere near as smooth as NCAA on the Xbox, for instance. There is a suddenness to the starts and stops of the players that reminds me of the initial NFL Fever. The camera angle reminds me strongly of Fever as well. The biggest loss for me is not owner mode or superstar mode or anything like that, but rather the loss of the audible system. This audible system takes you straight back to Madden 2001 (or further), as you can't set any audibles from the playcalling screen, nor is there the audible by formation option that you have in the Xbox edition. The controls seem to have been made more cumbersome for motioning and hot routing, as if the designers are trying to keep people from overusing these features (an idea that I'm sympathetic to).

All that said- it's getting better with each play. [/i]

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

I just picked up my box, where I was the first person on line when EB opened at 8 am. It was ridiculously easy, considering all the problems that other people are having getting their hands on a console. Just a few brief impressions-

The console itself is very nice- it looks a ton better than the old Xbox sitting under the TV. Everything screams quality about it, from the wireless controller (really a thing of beauty) to the DVD controller to the interface menus. No complaints at all on that account. The power cord is definitely huge, but it's tucked away behind the unit and impossible to see.

On to the games. I picked up Madden, COD2 and NBA2K6, and I also threw in Halo 2, just to see how it would look. Basically, it looks fine, a little sharper perhaps. As for the next gen games, let's just say that the difference in the quality of the graphics is hugely noticeable, even on a standard television.

NBA2K6 is simply the best basketball game ever made, period. The internet videos didn't come close to showing how obvious the graphical upgrade is even in playable camera angles. The control is extremely smooth, the player movement continues to be fantastic, and the replays look great. Having been prepared for a huge discrepency between the quality of the player models and the crowds/arenas/coaches around them, I find myself not bothered at all by the way it looks. This is probably going to end up being the best sports game on the console (although I'm sure NHL2K6 is terrific as well).

You could get a feel for how good COD2 was going to be by the quality of the trailer. Suffice to say, the graphics and the sound are absolutely mindblowing. There has never been a game that has managed to capture the feeling of being in a firefight like this one, as there is just noise and chaos all around you when you are in the combat zone. I'm not totally thrilled with the controller layout, as I prefer Halo's set-up, but that's a minor, minor complaint.

Madden is the most problematic of the three titles. On the one hand, it definitely looks great, particularly in cut scenes and on replays, and there is much that is improved. But the gameplay is nowhere near as smooth as NCAA on the Xbox, for instance. There is a suddenness to the starts and stops of the players that reminds me of the initial NFL Fever. The camera angle reminds me strongly of Fever as well. The biggest loss for me is not owner mode or superstar mode or anything like that, but rather the loss of the audible system. This audible system takes you straight back to Madden 2001 (or further), as you can't set any audibles from the playcalling screen, nor is there the audible by formation option that you have in the Xbox edition. The controls seem to have been made more cumbersome for motioning and hot routing, as if the designers are trying to keep people from overusing these features (an idea that I'm sympathetic to). The kicking meter is borderline ridiculous with the speed that it's bouncing back and forth- think NFL2K1 on the hardest difficulty.

All that said- it's getting better with each play. It feels much less like the Xbox version than I was expecting, and so there's a bit of a transitional period.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Just played NHL2K6 and it is very smooth...gameplay-wise. The graphics are sharp but not near what NBA2K6 has. It plays very smooth. Played a game using Flyermania's sliders and lost 8-6. Seems like the sliders transfered nicely but scoring was a bit easier with his sliders than on the XBOX. Maybe it was just one game. All things said, the game is solid.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

rubba19 wrote:
Spooky wrote:Has anyone been able to firure out how to get AAC files to play through the 360 off of their iPod? Is it offically supported? I know it was supposed to be, but then I read something that said you need to download a patch through the dashboard, then I read somewhere else that the AAC format is not supported at all anymore!?!?!

I know for a fact the purchased iTunes AAC files won't work, but I thought for sure just regular AAC ones would.

Anyone try thier iPod yet?
Spooky, Apple didn't release a license to Microsoft, so no iTunes songs can be played through the 360.

from Fortune.com (http://www.fortune.com/fortune/peterlew ... ml?cnn=yes)

Just don't expect to play any songs you've purchased through the Apple iTunes Music Store, because Apple has not given Microsoft a license for Apple's copyright-protection system.

Sorry.
Thanks for the info, but I understand that no iTunes purchased files can be played, however, I was under the impression that regular AAC files would work. So far they do not.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

seanmac31 wrote:You could get a feel for how good COD2 was going to be by the quality of the trailer. . . . I'm not totally thrilled with the controller layout, as I prefer Halo's set-up, but that's a minor, minor complaint.
Doesn't the 360 have an overriding controls option system for FPS and drving games? Or does it only apply to certain functions, like inverted look-around, etc? I have to say, I like the idea of setting my FPS and driving game prefernces in the system, but don't fully grasp how this would deal with the variety of gameply options from game to game.

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

It might well. I haven't really looked into it yet. Anyway, I can understand why the layout is the way it is, I'm just used to crouching by holding down the left thumbstick. Everything else is pretty much par for the course.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Plugged in my 60GB iPod Photo and was instantly able to listen to tunes, and browse my photos (though they were buried in the iPhoto hierarchy, not in an easy 'playlist'). I downloaded the Patriots logo to use as my GamerPic (I REALLY wish they would let you upload your own, it would be great if everyone had the same pic they use to post here)...I also downloaded the Demo of NBA Live. All I can say is that it looks incredible, and having not played NBA2K6 on the regular XBox, I hope you guys are right about that being the better game. I sent my wife out to pick my up 2k6 before the demo download was complete, otherwise I might have had heard grab Live because it looks and plays solid (IMHO).

This is just an AMAZING SYSTEM, and I emphasis the word SYSTEM. From controller, to interface, to aesthetic, to XBL interface, the thing just screams obsessive design and intelligent decisions.

As for the games...Madden is incredible. I'm not sure what everyone was expecting, but the game is great in my eyes. Solid gameplay that feels tuned for the better from the XBox version, incredible graphics. True, there are missing features and controls, but it's an amazing foundation, and I don't think I could look at the regular XBox version again without hurting my eyes.

COD2 is everything you've heard. Chaotic, epic, and loud. The enemies really try to outflank and out-think you. I wish it wasn't so linear, but that's part of what makes it able to build such grand scenes.

PGR3 is also great. There's nothing like sitting behind the wheel with a fully-rendered interior to make you feel like racing. The control is solid, and the graphics strong (though surprisingly less impressive than the other 2 games).

I'm thrilled. Simply thrilled. I hope overyone out there that wants one is able to get hold of it soon. The landscape of online play just changed. XBL has evolved into a truly complete online solution.

Enough glowing praise. Back to playing.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Has anyone with a standard non-hdtv got impressions?

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

I'm playing on a regular old 27" standard television, and the difference in the quality of the graphics is huge. Whoever was saying that you can't really tell the difference in quality between original Xbox and 360 games on a regular television must have been trying to sell someone a few plasmas. The games look great.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I just played the NBA Live demo and it was very pretty but I was not impressed with it. Actually kinda sluggish. NBA2K6 thumps it IMO. We all know the gameplay is there for 2K6 but the visuals are damn spiffy too!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Has anyone thrown in a DVD in yet? I'm curious how it compares to standard dvds.

Thanks.

tsunami
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by tsunami »

I've seen that quite a few people have already gone onto XBL with the 360 and I had a few questions:

1. What is the process getting the new system up and running on XBL? Do you simply need your gamertag and a password? Unfortunately, I don't even remember how I setup my XBL account on the Xbox and might not even remember my password.

2. If you still have the Xbox, can you have the Xbox and 360 on XBL at the same time or using the same account?

Thanks

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

tsunami wrote:I've seen that quite a few people have already gone onto XBL with the 360 and I had a few questions:

1. What is the process getting the new system up and running on XBL? Do you simply need your gamertag and a password? Unfortunately, I don't even remember how I setup my XBL account on the Xbox and might not even remember my password.

2. If you still have the Xbox, can you have the Xbox and 360 on XBL at the same time or using the same account?

Thanks
in order to pull your current gamertag, when you are first setting up your 360, after you determing the language you will be using, it asks if you want to set up a live account or if you currently have a live account. you will need to tie your gamertag to your email address via .net on xbox.com. once you've done that, if you already haven't, there will be an option to input the email address and password and that will transfer your current account.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Ok, I've set up the 360 Media Center Extender stuff. Wow, there are options here that I hadn't even imagined. It's going to take a while just to explore all these goodies. Install and synchronization with the PC was a snap, btw.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:Has anyone with a standard non-hdtv got impressions?
Heh, I think those of us with standard non-hdtv's are the ones who can't afford an Xbox 360 yet. Or at the very least, don't forsee being able to take advantage of its extra capabilities. Man I need to stay out of these threads as I am getting jealous. Very interested to hear how well the 360 synchs up with the PC.

PadresFan104
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by PadresFan104 »

Got the system as part of the Costco Bundle this morning. It came with Kameo, and I also picked up PGR3, COD2 and NFS. Here are my initial thoughts after a few hours with the system and games.

- The system itself is nice, but pretty darn loud. Turn up the volume when you play...

- Being able to plug in your iPOD and play your music in any game is absolutely awesome.

- COD2 is as sweet as everybody says

- PGR3 is also very very nice. Only ran a few races, but really liked what I saw.

- Kameo is fun, great looking and has a great sense of humor. (I love the combos the little plant guy can put together, kinda like Sugar Ray Leonard.)

- Very dissapointed in the frame rate of NFS. Very stuttery. I do not recommend it.

- The controllers are the best ever, very comfortable.

- No regrets for waiting in line from 6am to 10am this morning...

Al
XBL: Leadfoot5

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

sportdan30 wrote:Has anyone thrown in a DVD in yet? I'm curious how it compares to standard dvds.

Thanks.
My daughter and I are watching Monsters Inc. as I type this. The movie looks noticibly better over my other DVD player, which was not a progressive scan. Not earth-shattering, but noticable.

Also, I downloaded the program that lets you connect to a Windows XP machine to view pictures and play music. It works like a champ once installed. I actually have a picture of my daughter as my dashboard background now.

I agree with the other poster who said that it is a great "system". Really, all the parts work together well, and the whole thing seems extremely well thought out. I'm very happy with it so far.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

This was one of the 3 or 4 launch games I was prepared to pick up if I was able to snag a system at launch, definitely won't be getting it now when I am able to get the system either later this year or early next year after those reviews.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

DChaps wrote: Heh, I think those of us with standard non-hdtv's are the ones who can't afford an Xbox 360 yet. Or at the very least, don't forsee being able to take advantage of its extra capabilities.
That's right.

I'm in no hurry to buy a HDTV, and I've pretty much stopped gaming altogether. Maybe a PSP session here and there.

Maybe the 360 will awaken my gaming taste, but not if I have to get it plus a HDTV.

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

I picked up my 360 and COD2 tonight. I grabbed one of the 360 dvds at Best Buy that has the coupon in it, and pulled the coupon out from the case right at the register before I paid for the game. Initial impressions are that the system and game are both awesome. I'll have some real impressions tomorrow, after I get more time in with it. Also, I'll be picking up another coupon and NBA 2K6 tomorrow, I can't wait. :D

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

vader29 wrote:
This was one of the 3 or 4 launch games I was prepared to pick up if I was able to snag a system at launch, definitely won't be getting it now when I am able to get the system either later this year or early next year after those reviews.
Can't say I agree with too many of the reviews I have seen yet. I think the game should be downgraded because of lack of courses and some of the other features from the 06 versions that were cut out. But it plays much better than I was expecting. As far as looks, it is downright gorgeous...

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

I have the system but haven't opened it yet. Haven't really had time. I could open it now but i'm all of a sudden tempted to put it up on ebay. They are going for up to $1000, even without games. I so want to play it though. Ahhhh! This is so hard.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

CincyKid
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by CincyKid »

im diggin this system so far im on live with madden just got in my first game :D

christine actually went and picked mine up (360 w/all the extras) this morning while i was at work

she landed me madden,nba 2k6,live and cod 2 as well as a second controller...dropped $ 750 total

i went in at 9am didnt get out till 6:30 pm she had set up the entire system had me set up on live , had baked chicken w/gravy some corn ready with a little holiday fudge for dessert freshly made

all this and she is carrying our baby

damn :wink: