Just my two cents on Madden 360 after watching videos

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

bjackets
Mario Mendoza

Just my two cents on Madden 360 after watching videos

Post by bjackets »

I've been reading people at OS whining about the harsh critism some are giving Madden 360 after watching the numerous videos now out so I thought I'd finally chime in because it's starting to give me a rash.

EA makes their own bed by showing renderings of what this game will look like and by making statements like "built from the ground up". Now they have to "lie" in it (pun intended).

There is an old saying that goes " Don't over promise and under deliver ". EA should follow this advice and they wouldn't set themselves up to fail in the expectation department.

It makes me laugh how some folks will just give EA a "free pass" when it's EA themselves that have set the bar, and when you set it as high as they did, they should be held accountable for rediculous fallacies such as " built from the ground up "

Anyone who has ever played Madden can see in those videos that the gameplay is a direct port from a 15 year old Madden engine. The only things built from the ground up are eye candy like models (player, stadiums, crowd etc).

Be smart folks. Just because something looks prettier doesn't mean it plays better.

ohiost

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

And this thread: http://digitalsportspage.com/modules.ph ... 0965d58bc8 wasn't good enough to post this 'revelation'?

:wink: j/k, I just couldn't resist.

Seriously, all of this back and forth for and against Madden is pretty amusing. I'm probably going to get it, for reasons touched on by others in these threads. But then again, I am not someone who expects the game to be torn down and started from scratch. But on balance, the fact that Madden is one of the games most played when I hang out with family means I'll take advantage of the step up in gfx and presentation and go from there. I doubt the game will be a complete POS, so I'll bite on this first effort and see what happens.

Peace on y'all whether you buy Madden or not...

-G7
Gamertag: GameSe7en

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

This is how I'm picturing DB about now...

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Can we keep all the anit-EA guys at OS?

Thanks in advance

Dan "Head in the Sand"
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Sully wrote:Image

That's f'n hilarious! :lol:

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Danimal wrote:Can we keep all the anit-EA guys at OS?
OK, now you're just spelling bad on purpose ;)
-Matt

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

sportdan30 wrote:

What he said! ROTFLMA... very apropos, too :D
Gamertag: GameSe7en

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

matthewk wrote:
Danimal wrote:Can we keep all the anit-EA guys at OS?
OK, now you're just spelling bad on purpose ;)
LMAO, really I'm very hung over today...I swear
Follow Me on:

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Image
I endorse this sentiment... :wink:

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

GameSeven wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:

What he said! ROTFLMA... very apropos, too :D
That is hysterical! Please dear god Jared make DB use that as his avatar somehow.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I repeat:

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

DB lacking in creativity today. Come on man "Walk the Line" is out in theaters next week. Give the Cash man his due and make a stand. ;)

Last edited by bdoughty on Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

bdoughty wrote:DB lacking in creativity today. Come on man "Walk the Line" is out in theaters. Give the Cash man his due.
Well I had the "Don't you have an 8 dollar an hour job to go to Spooky?" written, but I thought I'd be nice and just flip him off instead.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
bdoughty wrote:DB lacking in creativity today. Come on man "Walk the Line" is out in theaters. Give the Cash man his due.
Well I had the "Don't you have an 8 dollar an hour job to go to Spooky?" written, but I thought I'd be nice and just flip him off instead.

That would have been a compliment. If he is part time at EB it would probably be closer to 6, at least that is what you would get in this area for part-time. I know all too well.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

bdoughty wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:

That would have been a compliment. If he is part time at EB it would probably be closer to 6, at least that is what you would get in this area for part-time. I know all too well.
I know...it was a semi-shot at you at the same time, lol. :lol:

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
bdoughty wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote: Well I had the "Don't you have an 8 dollar an hour job to go to Spooky?" written, but I thought I'd be nice and just flip him off instead.

I know...it was a semi-shot at you at the same time, lol. :lol:
$8.50 thank you very much! And hey, it brings in an extra $400-$500 a month on top of my 'membership privileges'. And NO, I don't have to be there tonight, THANK GOD!!! Just a 7 hour stint tomorrow...URGH I hate those.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

GridIronGhost
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: Just my two cents on Madden 360 after watching videos

Post by GridIronGhost »

bjackets wrote:Be smart folks. Just because something looks prettier doesn't mean it plays better.
Well PUCK ME! There you go folks, a pucking great review of gameplay from a video! Has any of these pucking GEEKS even played the game, I'm I right to believe that all this fuss is over video footage? Puck next time I want to see Hawaii, I'll just watch the pucking video... what scares me about these geeks is that they prolly watched each video frame by frame so they can dissect, analyze, test, etc. I bet I finished a season of NFL2K5 in the time they spent going over the videos. :roll:

Ahhhh...never mind my ranting, I just found my meds, it's all good..... :wink:
"If I didn't want 50 percent of my income and wanted the government to regulate every aspect of my life, I'd live in California."

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Just my two cents on Madden 360 after watching videos

Post by Badgun »

bjackets wrote:I've been reading people at OS whining about the harsh critism some are giving Madden 360 after watching the numerous videos now out so I thought I'd finally chime in because it's starting to give me a rash.

EA makes their own bed by showing renderings of what this game will look like and by making statements like "built from the ground up". Now they have to "lie" in it (pun intended).

There is an old saying that goes " Don't over promise and under deliver ". EA should follow this advice and they wouldn't set themselves up to fail in the expectation department.

It makes me laugh how some folks will just give EA a "free pass" when it's EA themselves that have set the bar, and when you set it as high as they did, they should be held accountable for rediculous fallacies such as " built from the ground up "

Anyone who has ever played Madden can see in those videos that the gameplay is a direct port from a 15 year old Madden engine. The only things built from the ground up are eye candy like models (player, stadiums, crowd etc).

Be smart folks. Just because something looks prettier doesn't mean it plays better.

ohiost
You may be right, but it is next gen and it looks quite a bit better, so if that's the case, I'll take a port of a 15 year old engine on a next gen system compared to what we have now. I didn't expect a lot of gameplay improvements over the current game anyway. The best thing they did was make the cone default to off and still let you use precision passing. Hell, that alone is probably worth $60 to me.

I've watched every video and I've seen a lot of stuff that I've never seen before, especially in the animation department. I'm satisfied that there is enough new stuff besides the graphics to warrant a purchase. I went from "definitely not buying it" to "man, I've got to have it" just from watching the videos.

Personally, I can't wait.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Someone explain something to me. Didn't we all buy an Intellivision because it looked better than the Atari. Then we bought a Nintendo, then a Genesis, a Dreamcast, a Playstation, etc, etc up to now. This is the next leap in gaming and we're making the purchase for gameplay (hopefully), but also for the graphical advances. Why is this any different than what we as gamers have been doing for nearly 20+ years? I really don't get the anti-Madden rants considering the history.

Just my .02.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

The opriginal post in this thread is also at OS verbatim, so once again can we keep these people off of DSP. I hate for this to become the Mod dictatorship OS is, but I don't want to go through this in every effin Madden thread.
Follow Me on:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:The opriginal post in this thread is also at OS verbatim, so once again can we keep these people off of DSP. I hate for this to become the Mod dictatorship OS is, but I don't want to go through this in every effin Madden thread.
Exactly.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Danimal, We would have missed this...

Well worth the price of admission.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

anchester
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by anchester »

EA will never build an all new Madden game from the ground up. They see it as too risky and costly. Why would they want to. The masses buy up this game in record numbers every year. Only a triple play like sales slump would cause them to completely throw out the old code and start from scratch. EA sux. Always has, and if people keep buying there crap, it always will.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Maybe we should start our own forum, anchester. We wouldn't have to keep it limited to our love for EA/Tiburon, either. What kind've music do you like? Are you into Johnny Cash or Pearl Jam?