For those getting a 360 on launch (or shortly thereafter)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Boom wrote:
I will be playing Madden online whenever I can get a cheese-free game
Please look me up. Oh, and good luck 360 hunting.
Thanks, Boom. So, I just called the CC to try to get a better number, and that guy told me when he looks in the back, he thinks they have a 'good 25-30.' I don't know how many are Premiums, but it's a decent number I can ball-park the line with. He also said, interestingly, that they are expecting to get more in tomorrow night. Don't know what that's about, but it does me no good as I will be travelling to NC tomorrow. So for me, it's tomorrow AM or . . . who knows?

GridIronGhost
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by GridIronGhost »

Zeppo wrote:Well, here's my wild goose update:

Did some legwork and scouted out the various outlets I was planning on hitting, to see how many units, what time they open, what the procedure would be, etc.

The Walmart is a disaster. It was hard to find an employee who spoke english, and when I did I was told not only that she didn't know how many units, but also that no one in the store knew anything! I asked about managers, was told, they won't know what you're asking (how many units is what I wanted to know; I was told 'many,' which btw in cultures wihtout writing is generally equal to 'more than 5'). Anyway, they are opening at 6A, but I don't know how many they are getting. There was no line today.

The Target nearby, opening at 8A, is getting - get this - 6 Premiums and 6 Cores. Oy.

The Best Buy near there, which is doing the midnight special, already has a healthy line, in the cold rain no less, numbering upwards of 50 people. Could have been as many as 75 I think, but it's so hard to tell and I wasn't about to physically count all heads. There were a handful of tents set up, so I guess folks have been there a few days. Some guys had no umbrella, one dude didn't even have a rain jacket or a suit jacket, but was standing in the cold rain with his shirt and tie on. Crazy. The store is supposedly getting 150+ Premiums and 75+ Cores, so I may still swing by there tonight at around 10p and take a chance. We'll see.

The Toys R Us right near there is also getting very few, 8 and 2. And the employees are pissed. Remember how Toys R Us coprporate decided last minute to do pre-orders? Well, they just sent the word down that employees cannot buy systems. They are going to have trouble finding kids to open, because those kids are really pissed off now.

The Circuit City, surprisingly to me, told me they will have close to 50 total units. This was not verified, but I think anything over 40 is a good number. They open regularly at 10A, so that may end up being the place if the Target is out of their 6 and 6.

Then there was the other side of strip-mall land, several miles away. This is where the regular BB will be opening at 9A with some 50 total units.

The ace in the hole may be the CompUSA near that 2nd BB, which will only be getting 10 and 2. But they have a firm policy of no employee purchases, and I don't think most folks would even think to check there. They open at 10A and may be my fallback.

I think my plan has evolved to this: Swing by the BB at around 10P and expect bad news, but hey, who knows? Maybe even wait in line for the bad news to be official.

If that's a no-go, I will head back there in the early AM and maybe swing by the Walmart before 6A to scope out the line. If it's more than, say, 20, I will skip it and head to the Target. If the Target has no line, I will be set, even though they are only getting 6 and 6. If it looks like no go at the Target, then it's right down the sidewalk to the CC and wait there.

Problem is, I would love to be able to head to the 2nd BB early AM as well since I know they are getting a good number of units, and then the CompUSA at 8 or 9ish. I hope the CC guy wasn't giving me bad info. If they really are getting 50 units, I think that will be the place to be.

I guess I will know how my chances are at the Target/CC/Toys R Us place early enough to head over to the CompUSA in time.

By now, I am resigned to getting a Core system and paying the extra $$ for the HD, the Component cables, and maybe a wireless controller.

Wish I could 'ditto' myself (anyone read Brin's "Kiln People?") and send a couple whites or greens over to Walmart, and an Ebony to the second BB. Hell, if I did have a dit, he would be in line at the midnight BB right now, melting in the rain!

As to Hipe's question: I am Gameflying CoD just in case that is the default DSP 'big-room' game of choice, but already bought PDZ because I'm presonally more excited about that game. I will be playing Madden online whenever I can get a cheese-free game. And PGR3 is a no-brainer for good, big room DSP fun.
My god, has it really come down to this? Hell of a game plan you have there.
"If I didn't want 50 percent of my income and wanted the government to regulate every aspect of my life, I'd live in California."

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

GridIronGhost wrote: My god, has it really come down to this? Hell of a game plan you have there.
Well, that's what happens when my local Gamestop gets 260+ preorders and only 58 units to be delivered.

And yeah, that's why it's a wild goose chase!

If I have no luck tomorrow AM, I may try to take you up on your offer in the other thread, if you have any left by then. I would buy a game, too. Maybe two!

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

Well Brando, save the gas and skip heading out to Best Buy. I was just there and there is a huge line. These people are hardcore, a couple had portable generators and actually had tvs and PS2s hooked up to them. I'm not talking about small LCD screens either, these people had the big 19 inch CRTs set up on tables.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Holy crap...that's really hardcore.

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

I don't feel so much like a dumbass for pre-ordering back in May now. :

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEST-XBOX-360_W0QQi ... dZViewItem

I want to feel bad for people who win these bids, but it's hard to when it is explained in the description. Apparently selling Xbox360 e-mail addresses is the empty box scam of this gerneration, as quite a few are up there.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Boom wrote:I don't feel so much like a dumbass for pre-ordering back in May now. :
You were smarter than me...that's probably why you'll be playin' tomorrow...and I'll be jerking off to the box art.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Boom wrote:I don't feel so much like a dumbass for pre-ordering back in May now. :
You were smarter than me...that's probably why you'll be playin' tomorrow...and I'll be jerking off to the box art.
db: I called another CC, and the girl there told me they had 20+ already and got in 20+ more today.

I am thinking CC is the place to try in the AM, with CompUSA as the sneaky, 'no one has a clue' option. Even though they have so few units, I really think most won't even try it.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

HipE wrote:Well Brando, save the gas and skip heading out to Best Buy. I was just there and there is a huge line. These people are hardcore, a couple had portable generators and actually had tvs and PS2s hooked up to them. I'm not talking about small LCD screens either, these people had the big 19 inch CRTs set up on tables.
Thanks for the update, Hip. That is crazy. I would not go to that much trouble for sex.

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

Have you guys thought about Sears? ;)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Boom wrote:Have you guys thought about Sears? ;)
Shhhh...look a few pages back and I mentioned it...but I don't want to blow my backup plan.

And yeah Zeppo...there is a CC across the street from the Compusa and Sears. It's the triangle of backups.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Jebus, these camper guys are nuts. The Best Buy near me had nutjobs out there in the rain/sleet mess we have going on now with like NO cover. A couple had umbrellas, but more than a few were just sopping wet.

I actually pre-ordered from EB, within the first 30 pre-orders. They called me (and 29 others) saying that while they were supposed to get 30, they only got 26. The expect a line when they open at 8.

Now, I'll get an Xbox360 eventually, but I'm not driven enough to camp out or anything. I'll swing by before work tomorrow AM, but I'm willing to bet that there will be at least 26 hardcore people there before me.

That'd make me a guarantee for the 'second shipment,' whenever that is, but I'd be perfectly fine with that given the new baby and all.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Boom wrote:Have you guys thought about Sears? ;)
Shhhh...look a few pages back and I mentioned it...but I don't want to blow my backup plan.

And yeah Zeppo...there is a CC across the street from the Compusa and Sears. It's the triangle of backups.
db,
Don't know if you've mentioned K Mart or not, but if you have one near you, you might want to look into it. My K Mart is telling everyone they won't have any tomorrow, but I have it on good authority that they have 16 in the stockroom that they will be selling at 8:00 AM.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I'll hit up Kmart too...thanks for the tip. Damn, it sucks not knowing anyone in retail locally.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

My wife just called the Duluth (Ga) Wal Mart and Rosita in electronics said that there are already more people in line than there are 360's.

I imagine I am hosed, but I will happily pick up College Hoops after work for the regular xbox and play that for a few weeks. I still have to finish "The Lincoln Lawyer" before it is due back at the library, so I am good.

Can I ask you who are going to be checking some places like me a question? If you find strike out but then find a place that has the $299 system and you set out to get the premium, what would you do?

* Buy it and get the other stuff later and take the loss.
*Hold off until you get what you want.
* Start a new thread in the forum just to piss people off

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

kevinpars wrote:Can I ask you who are going to be checking some places like me a question? If you find strike out but then find a place that has the $299 system and you set out to get the premium, what would you do?

* Buy it and get the other stuff later and take the loss.
That's my plan. If I can't get a Premium but there is a Core available, I'll eat the difference the HD, the component cables, and maybe the wireless controller will create.
kevinpars wrote:*Hold off until you get what you want.
I can't tell when more will be coming in. One CC person told me maybe by tomorrow night. Others have told me next week, and then the Gamestop where I preordered won't guarantee I will get one until Feb.
kevinpars wrote:* Start a new thread in the forum just to piss people off
Hmmm . . . .

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I walked past the Times Square Toys R Us today on the way home from work and there was already a huge line at 5pm. Even more surprising was the Long Island City Best Buy, which is slated to get 66 systems, isn't selling them until tomorrow night, and had a line of at least 100 people in the kind of messy, bulging disorder that will lead to fistfights when it comes to who comes before who. And it's raining! Craziness.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

i just checked my tracking info..on its way as i write this..

hee hee

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Just did some checking

Walmart Batavia IL, 15-20 people in line, getting 18 units, opens mindnight tonight.

Best Buy Geneva IL, opens 8am tomorrow getting 57 units, over 100 people in line.

I guess I will just wait for my free one to come in January. The thing that is a pisser is this whole shortage thing is forced to drive up hype.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Swung by the midnight BB, and it was already done. I asked the guy in the yellow BB shirt near the door when they would start handing out the tickets, and he told me they were already all gone. This was 10:20 or so.

So, I drove past the Toys R Us; already more in front than they have coming in, though they are only getting 8 or 10 so it wasn't much of a crowd. The Target had a few guys setting up tents, a couple tents already built, and they're only getting 12, so that's out.

The CC near there had maybe 15 folks in line already, and it seems like they will be selling 30-40 or so, so that didn't look entirely hopeless.

So, I decided to drive the few miles to the other strip mall paradise and see what was up. My sneaky ace in the sleeve CompUSA had 5 people in front of the Sports Authority next to it. Odd. Maybe there was better lighting there, or maybe those people were there for some other reason (yeah right). Anyway, since that store's only getting 10, it's not looking good there.

But the CC not far from there, a relatively new store, had maybe 4 people waiting. That I think will be my best bet. I think they will have 40-50 or so, so my plan as of now is to head there at an ungodly hour of the AM, possibly swinging past the CompUSA to see what's up there. If I had a tent and a bedroll, I would be at the CC or CompUSA right now. Oh well.

This football game ain't pretty, but it's pretty competitive. But I have to hit the sack!

Insanity.

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

Zeppo wrote:Swung by the midnight BB, and it was already done. I asked the guy in the yellow BB shirt near the door when they would start handing out the tickets, and he told me they were already all gone. This was 10:20 or so.

So, I drove past the Toys R Us; already more in front than they have coming in, though they are only getting 8 or 10 so it wasn't much of a crowd. The Target had a few guys setting up tents, a couple tents already built, and they're only getting 12, so that's out.

The CC near there had maybe 15 folks in line already, and it seems like they will be selling 30-40 or so, so that didn't look entirely hopeless.

So, I decided to drive the few miles to the other strip mall paradise and see what was up. My sneaky ace in the sleeve CompUSA had 5 people in front of the Sports Authority next to it. Odd. Maybe there was better lighting there, or maybe those people were there for some other reason (yeah right). Anyway, since that store's only getting 10, it's not looking good there.

But the CC not far from there, a relatively new store, had maybe 4 people waiting. That I think will be my best bet. I think they will have 40-50 or so, so my plan as of now is to head there at an ungodly hour of the AM, possibly swinging past the CompUSA to see what's up there. If I had a tent and a bedroll, I would be at the CC or CompUSA right now. Oh well.

This football game ain't pretty, but it's pretty competitive. But I have to hit the sack!

Insanity.
We who are about to die salute you.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Got it!!

:) Shiny!!
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Do it. It's worth it. Been playing now for a little while (only Madden so far) and all I can say is GOD DAMN...

WOW.

Ummm. Pretty.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Lucky bastards...