OT: Hard Drive Failure

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

GridIronGhost
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

OT: Hard Drive Failure

Post by GridIronGhost »

I have a computer that has both XP and Win98, I also have a seperate hard drive that has been partitoned into 2 drives as a slave. The drive is fine in the second partition, but the first one is causing lock ups. I'm able to copy some of the data, but when trying to copy other parts it causes a system freeze. Win Xp will not boot because it trys to read the hard disk then it crashes. I can see all the files in explorer, I just can't transfer them or try to read them. Is my stuff lost or is there something I can do?
"If I didn't want 50 percent of my income and wanted the government to regulate every aspect of my life, I'd live in California."

EDiddy
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by EDiddy »

Might be FAT32 problem.

Can you copy First part to your second part, then copy 2nd part to the xP drive?

MAybe...
Install Win98 on second drive, flip xp to slave, boot to FAT32 win 98 drive copy 98 data to xp slave, flip XP back to master. and there you go
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

GridIronGhost
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by GridIronGhost »

I can't copy anything from the bad partion on the drive. My system locks up and I have to power off to reboot.
"If I didn't want 50 percent of my income and wanted the government to regulate every aspect of my life, I'd live in California."

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Try running scandisk with Windows 98 on your bad hard drive, I had a similar problem earlier this year with running a dual boot of Windows XP and ME where XP would not boot and it showed no files on the hard drive in which it was installed, I ran scandisk with Windows ME on the hard drive to which XP was installed and everything came back.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Yep, chkdsk /r works wonders.

GridIronGhost
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by GridIronGhost »

vader29 wrote:Try running scandisk with Windows 98 on your bad hard drive, I had a similar problem earlier this year with running a dual boot of Windows XP and ME where XP would not boot and it showed no files on the hard drive in which it was installed, I ran scandisk with Windows ME on the hard drive to which XP was installed and everything came back.
\

Yeah, I tried that and the system locks up as soon as it tries to read the disk. Some good news, I kept messing with trying to copy from the disk, it would copy large and small chuncks of data before locking up. So 4 hours and hundreds of reboots later, I got the important stuff off the disk. Thanks!