My XBOX 360 Preorder

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Wonder how much those guys that have no game interest at all will sell the 360 for at Ebay?

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Inuyasha wrote: I think you can pretty much go to bestbuy or walmart and pick one up without worrying about them running out.
I can't see how that is possible if preorders can't even be filled. There will be a lucky few at each retailer but many will leave emptyhanded.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

From what I have gathered, it sounds like the average Walmart will be receiving 75 units per store, Best Buy will get 90, and Target 10-50. Of course depending on the volume a certain store does, some may get 200 while others only get 20.

My plan is to swing by a Best Buy about 10PM on the 21st. If there is a line, I'll jump in it. If not, then about 5 AM, I'll get up them start scouring different stores. Whichever has the shortest line, I'll jump into it.

I'm hoping that maybe we'll have a rare November snowstorm on the night of the 21st that will keep people home. :twisted:

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

I've been trying to get a decent number as to how many my store is being allotted (WM in Canada) but traditionally our store has gotten the most out of any stores in the city.

This is the first time since Best Buy has been in Canada that there's been a major system launch though (not counting PSP, various GBAs, and DS). I'll keep you guys up to date, which'll be useful for Canadians at least.

My current plan is to be in line at the store around 7 AM (store opens at 8AM) but if the demand seems to be higher as the days approach I'll go earlier. I would be amazingly shocked if it was an all nighter thing like the PS2, and the only reason why I'd do that is because the XB360 launch co-incides with the store's 20% off day.
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Diablo25 wrote:I can't see how that is possible if preorders can't even be filled. There will be a lucky few at each retailer but many will leave emptyhanded.
Not sure how it was around you, but all of the major game stores were shouting about shortages for the PSP around here. While they had sold their entire allotment of systems, places like Target and Wal*Mart had them stacked up in their electronics case.

Should be an interesting launch, I hope they sell out so I don't get tempted to pick one up!
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

From a report I read recently (I'll try to locate it), the available number of consoles for launch hasn't really changed. Microsoft, however, decided to try to reach more casual gamers and/or build more hype around the system's launch by taking consoles out of the hands of the 'HARDCORE' gamer and boutique game shops and placing it in the hands of the high-profile mega-stores like WalMart.

It some ways it makes sense. They set 'allotments' for EB and Gamestop stores (hypothetically say 10/25/50/100 unit groupings). If your store fails to commit to selling EVERY alloted console on day 1, they lose their allotment and drop down to the lower figure (not sure where the real benchmarks are), taking a few valid pre-orders down with them.

The idea is that most casual gamers and even the hardcore who failed to pre-order AVOID the specialty boutiques on launch day, presuming them to be the last possible place to score a console. So, if you're store got 50 and only pre-sold 35, 15 units would sit there for a day or two at least before they were snapped up. By contrast, those same 15 units would likely have sold at Midnight on the 21st at a WalMart. This strategy will allow Microsoft to announce (by the 23rd) that they have had the "Most Successful Console Launch Ever!" selling 1-2 Million machines in less than 24 hours.

No doubt, some of the issue is related to limited supply, but I suspect Microsoft is trying to manufacture a bigger launch by setting expectations low, showcasing reports of demand exceeding supply, and touting sales figures supporting an 'Instant Sell-out' console.

http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ente ... 134098.php
ttp://today.reuters.com/news/NewsArticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyID=uri:2005-10-28T202101Z_01_FLE872719_RTRUKOC_0_US-LTECH-MICROSOFT-XBOX.xml&pageNumber=1&summit=
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Pretty much the same thing happened with the PSP. Here in Atlanta, the gamestops and ebs sold out of their limited allotment of hardware and had to wait a week or so before the next shipment came in. Target and Wal Mart seemed to have them by the dozen.

I could be way off, but I just don't see that many Wal Mart shoppers rushing out and dropping that kind of coin on a new system and games. Maybe they will since it will be Christmas shopping season, but if they also don't have a HD tv or high speed internet, why bother?

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Seems to me Walmart is really becoming a big player in the gaming market as well as the movie and music markets.

I can almost bet the Walmart by me will have them in stock come Nov. 22nd. Stay away Dan! :wink:

I'm sure they are guaranteed x amount of units from Microsoft while Gamestop and the like just don't have the $$$ to compete with Wally world.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

MizzouRah wrote:Seems to me Walmart is really becoming a big player in the gaming market as well as the movie and music markets.

I can almost bet the Walmart by me will have them in stock come Nov. 22nd. Stay away Dan! :wink:

I'm sure they are guaranteed x amount of units from Microsoft while Gamestop and the like just don't have the $$$ to compete with Wally world.
The electronics realm is one of Wal*Mart's big targets for the near future. Haven't been to one in a long time, but don't they have big screen TVs now? They definitely want to get what they perceive to be their fair share of the electronics purchases.

That scares the sh*t out of the Gamestops and Best Buys of the world--no one can compete with Wal*Mart on price.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

wco81 wrote:
HipE wrote:Well, for some of the guys in line, it was as close to real tailgating as they were ever going to get. I actually witnessed a long discussion about how the Gamecube really shouldn't be called a cube, since the dimensions were going to be 4x4x6.
Did you beat them up for being such nerds?
Nerds beating up nerds? Anyone who stands in line for hours outside of a store (or theater) just to "be the first" to get console or see a movie is a nerd.
-Matt

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

WalMart is an EVIL and SOULess company. They've even proposed going into banking (initially handling only their own finances, but almost certainly eventually as a consumer enterprise).

Come in our stores, where we house your money, own your house/mortgage, supply all the stuff in it, crush boutiques and small business competitors, provide NO expertise or understanding of Electronics, CENSOR available items like CD's and Games to those we find 'appropriate', but you can certainly buy a GUN. Leave your tooth at the door. Have we mentioned that 40% of our employees live in Poverty?

Sorry. Just don't like them. I've got nothing against Superstores. Target, Best Buy, Sears, etc. are all OK in my book. WalMart is not. I won't shop there (unless EB calls to cancel my pre-order, cause I'm getting a 360 hell or highwater on the 21st at midnight).

Bash away, Walmart lovers! ;)
Sport73

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

MizzouRah wrote:Seems to me Walmart is really becoming a big player in the gaming market as well as the movie and music markets.

You say you live in Troy, eh? Should be easy to find the Wal-Mart out there. Google maps is my friend. Actually, I have my name on the "wish list" at TRU here in Chesterfield. I'm 16th on the list. However, I have to wait to be called to see if I'm still interested. If I am, then I have 24 hours to pick up the 360.

I was just in Sears yesterday picking up a new DVD player, and the sales guy commented that he just got word they too will be stocking a limited number of the 360s. Heck, if Sears is going to carry the 360 as well I'm not too worried about not finding one on launch day.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:The electronics realm is one of Wal*Mart's big targets for the near future. Haven't been to one in a long time, but don't they have big screen TVs now? They definitely want to get what they perceive to be their fair share of the electronics purchases.

That scares the sh*t out of the Gamestops and Best Buys of the world--no one can compete with Wal*Mart on price.
So true, Dave. And as soon as Wal-Mart conspires with the nation's largest mobile home manufacturers to expand the dimensions of their trailers to accomodate big-screen TV's, Wal-Mart will become the king of electronics sales in the U.S.

Get your big-screen TV, carton of Doritos, Toby Keith album and bottle of Stacker 2 -- all in one department at Wal-Mart.

The future looks so bright, I need to put on Blu-Blockers so popular with Wal-Mart nation.

P.S. to Sport: I share your Sh*t-Mart sentiments. Can't you tell? :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Wal Mart rants are always entertaining.

As a consumer I love the place. I can get water softener for $1 chaeper per bag than Menards or Fleet Farm. Why the heck should I pay more for the same exact item?

As for the poor employees, no one is forcing them to work there. This isn't some concentration camp where the poor and elderly are forced to work as slaves. If they do not like the conditions they can work somewhere else.

I never want to see Wal Mart, or any other company get a stranglehold on an industry. Competition is good. Wal mart still has plenty of competition, so I'm fine with them. If you are going to bash them for being evil, then make up picket signs for Microsoft, EA, goverment, and oil companies as well.
-Matt

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

matthewk wrote:Wal Mart rants are always entertaining.

As a consumer I love the place. I can get water softener for $1 chaeper per bag than Menards or Fleet Farm. Why the heck should I pay more for the same exact item?

As for the poor employees, no one is forcing them to work there. This isn't some concentration camp where the poor and elderly are forced to work as slaves. If they do not like the conditions they can work somewhere else.

I never want to see Wal Mart, or any other company get a stranglehold on an industry. Competition is good. Wal mart still has plenty of competition, so I'm fine with them. If you are going to bash them for being evil, then make up picket signs for Microsoft, EA, goverment, and oil companies as well.
I have no problem with EA. 2 things prevent them from EVER becoming WalMart. Business ethics (they have some, WalMart has NONE); and more importantly; REACH. Walmart can become a sole-source for nearly everything someone wants to buy, EA doesn't have that ability.

Why is the Water Softener so cheap? Because they're selling it AT or BELOW COST! How can they do that? Because they have data that demonstrates that if you're in the store to buy Water Softener you're likely to also buy 3 other items that they have decent margins on. When you sell EVERYTHING, and pay Minimum wage to non-union employees, you can leverage completely disparate items to create low prices that drive competitors out of business. Then, you can raise the prices on those items and target the next area. Home electronics is WalMart's current "loss-leader". Even the other large chains (Best Buy) have a tough time competing because they are stuck in the electronics realm, they can't subsidize LCD TV losses with profits from stool softener sales.

Microsoft is another story, they and AOL are the evil twins of the Computing world. The XBox division, thankfully, doesn't use the same practices as the mother ship company. AOL is just plain aweful, tying people unecessarily to dial-up by filling them with fear about broadband, censoring the internet and trying to control your access to content/news through their world.

Walmart stores near me are just dirty, dingy crowded and depressing places. Cheap? Sure, but you get what you pay for in terms of service/expertise and shopping environment.
Sport73

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I've only been to Wal-Mart twice in my life, to check out the 360. Each time I walked into the store my IQ dropped by 50 points. As soon as I left the store I only gained 47 back. I also had a stiff neck the second time I left the store.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

Sport73 wrote: Walmart stores near me are just dirty, dingy crowded and depressing places. Cheap? Sure, but you get what you pay for in terms of service/expertise and shopping environment.
While the ethics part may bother me, what kind of service/expertise and shopping environment do I need when purchasing an Xbox 360 or a video game? I do my own research on the net before I even approach a store, and I usually know more about what I'm there for than any employee in the store.

Just give me cheapest price.. I'm in and out with my sole "loss leader" purchase at a low price and I'm good to go.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Sport73 wrote:Walmart stores near me are just dirty, dingy crowded and depressing places. Cheap? Sure, but you get what you pay for in terms of service/expertise and shopping environment.
Precisely why I hate them. I'll pay the extra buck per bag for water softener so I can avoid the crowds, idiot employees and clientele and support a neat, tidy hardware store owned by a local person who provides excellent service and actually knows something about his products when a question is asked.

Plus on many items, the price difference isn't that great between Wal-Mart and other big box stores. New video games at Best Buy or EB are $49.99. They're $49.82 at Wal-Mart. Whoopdee-f*cking-doo.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:Plus on many items, the price difference isn't that great between Wal-Mart and other big box stores. New video games at Best Buy or EB are $49.99. They're $49.82 at Wal-Mart. Whoopdee-f*cking-doo.
Not to be a Wal-Mart advocate or anything because I hate them too, but when was the last time you've seen a game on sale at EB or Gamestop?

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

matthewk wrote:
wco81 wrote:
HipE wrote:Well, for some of the guys in line, it was as close to real tailgating as they were ever going to get. I actually witnessed a long discussion about how the Gamecube really shouldn't be called a cube, since the dimensions were going to be 4x4x6.
Did you beat them up for being such nerds?
Nerds beating up nerds? Anyone who stands in line for hours outside of a store (or theater) just to "be the first" to get console or see a movie is a nerd.
At the time, I was just a poor college student trying to make a quick buck. I waited in line for five hours and sold the PS2 for $600 on ebay, so it was definitely worth my time. I know a lot of people were getting $1000 on ebay for the first couple of days after launch, but I didn't plan far enough in advance to make the big bucks on it.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Besides the labor practices, Wal Mart is muscling out small businesses. Yes their fault for not being able to compete with a mega corp. Some smaller communities are trying to resist, not to protect small businesses necessarily but because despite all the sales tax revenues a big box store will bring in, it may not offset the continual traffic and other burdens on the infrastructure of a small community.

Wal Mart is the biggest employer in the country. Thirty years ago, it was GM. People joke about displaced manufacturing workers finding jobs at Wal Mart. Not really a laughing matter.

Some say the Wal Mart effect may be partly responsible for outsourcing. The push for lower and lower prices every year forces vendors to contract manufacturing in the developing world rather than continue to use small American plants. What good is lower prices if you have to take lower wage jobs because your old job was outsourced?

Sorry Air. :wink:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
pk500 wrote:Plus on many items, the price difference isn't that great between Wal-Mart and other big box stores. New video games at Best Buy or EB are $49.99. They're $49.82 at Wal-Mart. Whoopdee-f*cking-doo.
Not to be a Wal-Mart advocate or anything because I hate them too, but when was the last time you've seen a game on sale at EB or Gamestop?
A new release? Never. Hell, it seems that only Circuit City and Fry's sell new games at a discount. Even Best Buy rarely does it. Sometimes BB will sell new games with a $10 gift card attached, but that's about it.

But EB has fairly recent games and older games on sale fairly often, online and at stores.

You f*ckers with Fry's are spoiled rotten. I guess it's a good thing there are no Fry's in upstate New York since I'm trying to cut back on gaming. :)

Take care,
PK

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

pk500 wrote:You f*ckers with Fry's are spoiled rotten. I guess it's a good thing there are no Fry's in upstate New York since I'm trying to cut back on gaming. :)
Fry's has definitely been a blessing for me. They consistently have brand new games on sale for $10-$15 dollars off on release day. I imagine I'll be able to get new games for the next generation for roughly the same price the current gen games are. They'll make their way to New York soon enough PK. When they do you'll have a grin from ear to ear.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

GridIronGhost
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by GridIronGhost »

pk500 wrote:Precisely why I hate them. I'll pay the extra buck per bag for water softener so I can avoid the crowds, idiot employees and clientele and support a neat, tidy hardware store owned by a local person who provides excellent service and actually knows something about his products when a question is asked.
I disagree with what has been said about Wal Mart up til your post. I agree 100% with you. Wal mart is also the most expensive for games. When is the last time you got a gift card from Walmart on a new game release?

P.S. Stay out of Walmart on the 2nd of every month, I learned the hard way. Talk about hell on earth!
"If I didn't want 50 percent of my income and wanted the government to regulate every aspect of my life, I'd live in California."