NFL2k5/Madden 06 question

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

hrudey32
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

NFL2k5/Madden 06 question

Post by hrudey32 »

hey guys...i'm looking to pick up either Madden 06 or NFL2K5. enjoying the Skins season alot this year. in the past i played 2K5 and really enjoyed it, especially the atmosphere and presentation as well as fun game play. i've got several opinions on which is the better way to go so i'm not sure quite yet. looking for realism first of all but also a good presentation and atmosphere.

questions is..if i go with 2K5 can someone send me a link to a good updated set of rosters for action replay?

or does everyone think Madden is the way to go? i played Madden before but i didn't like it as much as 2K but i really didn't get used to it either.

also, where could i find a good set of simulation sliders for both games so that when i make my purchase i can dive right into a season. i just don't have that much time for slider tweaking anymore. still playing nhl2k6 alot and of course, my favorite title, Batman Begins.

thanks fellas!!! input and roster/slider recomendations appreciated.

www.widowusa.com
www.myspace.com/widowusa
www.myspace.com/marcanthonyproject

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Our own beloved MatthewK has done some really good rosters.CLICK HERE Watch out for others who edit rosters and then make sweeping attribute changes.

Then use Flying Fins editor to use the 2005/2006 season.

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/flyingfinn/roster.htm

Assuming you go tthe route of NFL 2K5. It is what I am playing.

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

I use the Bill Harris slider set for NFL2K5, they really make the game much more enjoyable than on default. If you do end up getting NFL2K5, I can copy them down for you if you are interested.

hrudey32
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by hrudey32 »

thanks fellas. actually, i am leaning towards 2k5 cause i really enjoyed it and like the overall presentation and feel plus its more cost efficient. if you can copy those settings down i'd appreciate it.

additional input and thoughts appreciated!

billharris44
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by billharris44 »

Hey hrudey, here are the franchise rules and slider settings we developed for NFL2K5. Sorry for the length, but it's got everything in it. I hope you enjoy them.
bill

ESPN 2K5: Final Sliders

To give you an idea of difficulty, these are rated at 1.73 (you can see this in the crib tally option at the end of the game--difficulty rating is at the bottom, I think), which is right around Legend level. They're actually harder than Legend except for the pursuit rating, which is lowered to neutral for the CPU defense instead of giving them a giant speed cheat.

Here are the settings. First value is Human setting, second value is CPU setting:
Blocking: 16,40
Passing: 0,40
Running: 16,40
Catching: 40,40
Coverage:4,28
Pursuit: 4,10
Tackling: 0,8
Kicking: 0,40
Fatigue: 4,4
Injury: 20
Fumbles: 28
Interceptions: 0

Penalties--all at max except the following:
Offensive holding: 32
Clipping: 24
Roughing the Kicker: 32
Ineligible Receiver Downfield: 32

In the Gameplan option during the game, you can set substitution in/out thresholds. Using out 60%, in 85% provides with a good substitution pattern in conjunction with the fatigue settings.

ESPN 2K5: Franchise House Rules

For maximum franchise difficulty, slider settings alone won't do the job. There are also some simple 'house rules' that, if followed, will make the GM portion of the game as challenging as the onfield action.

By the way, in the first few years of a franchise, the CPU GM's will sometimes trade away players for salary cap reasons that will leave you scratching your head. To greatly reduce how often this happens (down to one strange deal every couple of years or so), turn off preseason games and weekly prep. If not, you'll have to endure some odd trades for the first several years.

Here are the rules, and I'll have discussion below.
Salaries:
--Max out the player's interest slider before making an offer.
--Increase the players requested bonus percentage by an additional ten percent.
--Six year contracts are the maximum allowed length.
Trades:
--Max out the trade interest slider before making a deal, even if it's offered to you from the trading block.
--No trading for an opposing team's starting quarterback.
--No trading for rookies.
--No trading of players from your team in the last year of their contract.
--No trading for/away kickers.
--No trading away of players rated below 70.
Draft:
--no more than two draft picks in a round, and no more than ten picks in any one draft.

That sounds like a lot of rules, but they're not. I use some version of them with any sports game, including Madden. In short, they force you to make some very hard decisions concerning personnel each year. Players can't be stockpiled, and they can't be cut without incurring significant penalties due to the bonuses involved. It can be extremely difficult to build a strong team inside the constraints of the salary cap, and it is impossible to keep that team together for more than two or three years. In other words, it's much like the real NFL.

The sliders also reinforce the difficulty. To the best of my knowledge, every slider setting is such that the corresponding rating matters in terms of onfield results. So if you draft a team of bad tacklers, I hope you enjoy watching running backs break tackle after tackle. If you draft wide receivers who can't catch, enjoy all the drops. If you draft running backs with a low 'secure ball' rating, here come the fumbles.

These house rules force you to 'go without.' Do you want marquee players with huge salaries? Fine, but you're going to have to do it at the expense of depth. Want to sign guys to long-term deals to reduce your cap expense down the road? Just make sure those guys don't puke out on you, because you could be paying three or four years worth of bonus when you cut them. That also means you do better do a good job at the Combine, because those big bonuses for first round draft picks can come back to haunt you.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Sorry to threadjack Hrudey. I never play the franchise modes in sports games but I have a question for those that do. Do you play all of the games or do you mostly sim the games and go through the weekly routine? I always hear guys saying that they're in their 4th year of a baseball franchise or something and wonder how the hell they can play all of those games. One of the reasons I don't play franchise modes is because I like to have accurate rosters and play as the team I cheer for now, not some fictitious version of my team. If franchise mode is fun without playing the games I might have to give it a try sometime.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I have only done it in Football and Soccer games. No way to get to season 4 in baseball, unless you don't work and love MVP. I'm sure back in our college days we could hav pulled this off.

Bill:
Are you still playing NFl 2k?
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

packmanuk04
Mario Mendoza

Post by packmanuk04 »

When playing a franchise what length should (simmed games) be set to give good results ?

packmanuk04
Mario Mendoza

Post by packmanuk04 »

I've just got this game and wondered waht people found to be the best sliders/rosters ?

I've seen there are edited rosters that seem to have their own sliders but I wondered if someone could point me to the ultimate roster and sliders so that I can start a realistic franchise.

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

from this very thread:
Our own beloved MatthewK has done some really good rosters.CLICK HERE
I use the Bill Harris slider set for NFL2K5, they really make the game much more enjoyable than on default. If you do end up getting NFL2K5, I can copy them down for you if you are interested
And to finish off, here are the settings referenced in the above quote (Bill Harris's Sliders etc)
ESPN 2K5: Final Sliders

To give you an idea of difficulty, these are rated at 1.73 (you can see this in the crib tally option at the end of the game--difficulty rating is at the bottom, I think), which is right around Legend level. They're actually harder than Legend except for the pursuit rating, which is lowered to neutral for the CPU defense instead of giving them a giant speed cheat.

Here are the settings. First value is Human setting, second value is CPU setting:
Blocking: 16,40
Passing: 0,40
Running: 16,40
Catching: 40,40
Coverage:4,28
Pursuit: 4,10
Tackling: 0,8
Kicking: 0,40
Fatigue: 4,4
Injury: 20
Fumbles: 28
Interceptions: 0

Penalties--all at max except the following:
Offensive holding: 32
Clipping: 24
Roughing the Kicker: 32
Ineligible Receiver Downfield: 32

In the Gameplan option during the game, you can set substitution in/out thresholds. Using out 60%, in 85% provides with a good substitution pattern in conjunction with the fatigue settings.

ESPN 2K5: Franchise House Rules

For maximum franchise difficulty, slider settings alone won't do the job. There are also some simple 'house rules' that, if followed, will make the GM portion of the game as challenging as the onfield action.

By the way, in the first few years of a franchise, the CPU GM's will sometimes trade away players for salary cap reasons that will leave you scratching your head. To greatly reduce how often this happens (down to one strange deal every couple of years or so), turn off preseason games and weekly prep. If not, you'll have to endure some odd trades for the first several years.

Here are the rules, and I'll have discussion below.
Salaries:
--Max out the player's interest slider before making an offer.
--Increase the players requested bonus percentage by an additional ten percent.
--Six year contracts are the maximum allowed length.
Trades:
--Max out the trade interest slider before making a deal, even if it's offered to you from the trading block.
--No trading for an opposing team's starting quarterback.
--No trading for rookies.
--No trading of players from your team in the last year of their contract.
--No trading for/away kickers.
--No trading away of players rated below 70.
Draft:
--no more than two draft picks in a round, and no more than ten picks in any one draft.

That sounds like a lot of rules, but they're not. I use some version of them with any sports game, including Madden. In short, they force you to make some very hard decisions concerning personnel each year. Players can't be stockpiled, and they can't be cut without incurring significant penalties due to the bonuses involved. It can be extremely difficult to build a strong team inside the constraints of the salary cap, and it is impossible to keep that team together for more than two or three years. In other words, it's much like the real NFL.

The sliders also reinforce the difficulty. To the best of my knowledge, every slider setting is such that the corresponding rating matters in terms of onfield results. So if you draft a team of bad tacklers, I hope you enjoy watching running backs break tackle after tackle. If you draft wide receivers who can't catch, enjoy all the drops. If you draft running backs with a low 'secure ball' rating, here come the fumbles.

These house rules force you to 'go without.' Do you want marquee players with huge salaries? Fine, but you're going to have to do it at the expense of depth. Want to sign guys to long-term deals to reduce your cap expense down the road? Just make sure those guys don't puke out on you, because you could be paying three or four years worth of bonus when you cut them. That also means you do better do a good job at the Combine, because those big bonuses for first round draft picks can come back to haunt you.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

packmanuk04 wrote:I've just got this game and wondered waht people found to be the best sliders/rosters ?

I've seen there are edited rosters that seem to have their own sliders but I wondered if someone could point me to the ultimate roster and sliders so that I can start a realistic franchise.
There is no such thing as the "best" sliders or "ultimate" roster.

Your best bet is to start off default sliders and All-Pro. Then tweak the sliders as you see fit. What may seem "realistic" for some may not be for others. Also sliders can vary depending on if you are playing with a weak or strong team. Use rosters like Matthews that stick to minor player edits and rookie additions/trades. Make adjustments to players as "you" deem neccessary.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah, packman has some reading competency issues...

billharris44
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by billharris44 »

JRod wrote:I have only done it in Football and Soccer games. No way to get to season 4 in baseball, unless you don't work and love MVP. I'm sure back in our college days we could hav pulled this off.

Bill:
Are you still playing NFl 2k?
Now sure if you meant me or Bill Abner, Jrod, but if you meant me, the answer is no. I still have the game, and I've been meaning to play it all fall, but I can't get over the inertia of having to update the rosters, etc. Plus I put in 100+ hours with it last fall, so I saw pretty much everything.

It is, by far, the most entertaining football game I ever played, even if it did take forever to get the sliders "right."

GridIronGhost
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by GridIronGhost »

If any of you guys have 16 games or more played, could you please email me your VIP save? I enjoy playing against someones VIP then any other mode including online. You need an action replay to copy your save to computer to email it.

Thanks!

P.S. I'm sure the PP (post police) will be happy that no new thread was opened for this request. :wink:

GridIronGhost@hotmail.com
"If I didn't want 50 percent of my income and wanted the government to regulate every aspect of my life, I'd live in California."