iPod Video Released; new iMac...WOW!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Airdog wrote:
10spro wrote:Grid, the new ipodvideo looks sharp and thin but that battery surely sucks like a Hoover if you have only 2hours left after watching a show.
Much of the reason for this is because the backlight is on for the duration of the video being played, apparently.
Well Apple is saying video is an "extra," not the main feature, which is still music.

That is why they didn't use a bigger screen, because they wanted to keep the size convenient for mainly audio use, not video. That also meant making it thinner than before, meaning putting in a lower-capacity battery.

If they can cut a deal for movie downloads or the permission to legally rip DVDs through iTunes and other tools they distribute, then maybe they will design a more video-centric player, with bigger screen, more storage, more power to support higher resolutions and yes, a bigger battery to at least match laptop DVD performance so that you can use it for the duration of a 5-6 hour transcontinental flight.

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

wco81 wrote:
Airdog wrote:
10spro wrote:Grid, the new ipodvideo looks sharp and thin but that battery surely sucks like a Hoover if you have only 2hours left after watching a show.
Much of the reason for this is because the backlight is on for the duration of the video being played, apparently.
Well Apple is saying video is an "extra," not the main feature, which is still music.

That is why they didn't use a bigger screen, because they wanted to keep the size convenient for mainly audio use, not video. That also meant making it thinner than before, meaning putting in a lower-capacity battery.

If they can cut a deal for movie downloads or the permission to legally rip DVDs through iTunes and other tools they distribute, then maybe they will design a more video-centric player, with bigger screen, more storage, more power to support higher resolutions and yes, a bigger battery to at least match laptop DVD performance so that you can use it for the duration of a 5-6 hour transcontinental flight.
I would be mildly surprised if this were to happen but if the market was right I'm sure that they would release a true iPod Video or something like that whereby they would create another line similar to what nano or Shuffle is.

I could only imagine what the sticker price on that would be.
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

If you're doing video conversions, I'd check out Videora iPod Converter. It's worked good for me so far, and took about 35-40 minutes to transcode one episode of Lost that I had on the ol' hard drive. Quality and sound seem quite good.

And it's very very very easy to use.

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/
- Rob

GridIronGhost
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by GridIronGhost »

Airdog wrote:If you're doing video conversions, I'd check out Videora iPod Converter. It's worked good for me so far, and took about 35-40 minutes to transcode one episode of Lost that I had on the ol' hard drive. Quality and sound seem quite good.

I used that at first, but some of the videos were skiping and missing sound. It does convert faster then QTpro7, but QT converts flawless. I exchanged my ipod and and got the 60gig, my problem with the ipod hanging up my system for a few minutes is gone and the transfer speeds are much faster. I also have found a combo to make this pump some serious sound. I bought another pair of the Koss ear buds http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p? ... ^SPARKPLUG my other ones I lost, I set the EQ to treble booster and the sound quality is better with more punch. The sony ear plug headphones didn not sound as good on the ipod. I'm happy with the ipod even though I have issues with battery charge and itunes!
"If I didn't want 50 percent of my income and wanted the government to regulate every aspect of my life, I'd live in California."

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

There used to be a pair of Koss headphones which were legendary for their sound, despite being under $20.

But they supposedly discontinued them.

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

GridIronGhost wrote:
Airdog wrote:If you're doing video conversions, I'd check out Videora iPod Converter. It's worked good for me so far, and took about 35-40 minutes to transcode one episode of Lost that I had on the ol' hard drive. Quality and sound seem quite good.

I used that at first, but some of the videos were skiping and missing sound. It does convert faster then QTpro7, but QT converts flawless. I exchanged my ipod and and got the 60gig, my problem with the ipod hanging up my system for a few minutes is gone and the transfer speeds are much faster. I also have found a combo to make this pump some serious sound. I bought another pair of the Koss ear buds http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p? ... ^SPARKPLUG my other ones I lost, I set the EQ to treble booster and the sound quality is better with more punch. The sony ear plug headphones didn not sound as good on the ipod. I'm happy with the ipod even though I have issues with battery charge and itunes!
Thanks for the info - I'll keep an eye/ear out for the video problems although I doubt I will be watching many of them on the iPod.

I have to get a set of headphones too, soon. Anybody have any ideas on what a good, reasonably priced case would be? (30GB iPod 5th gen).
- Rob

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

There should be plenty of case reviews at ilounge.com.

Extremetech.com also has an ipod-specific site but I haven't read it that much.

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

wco81 wrote:There should be plenty of case reviews at ilounge.com.

Extremetech.com also has an ipod-specific site but I haven't read it that much.
Merci beacoup.
- Rob

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Pink shirts and French...when are you gonna pull a Swoopes?

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Pink shirts and French...when are you gonna pull a Swoopes?
Although I think that Swoopes has probably been with more women than I have, I'd say I've been pulling a Swoopes for at least half a decade now.
- Rob

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Airdog wrote:
Although I think that Swoopes has probably been with more women than I have, I'd say I've been pulling a Swoopes for at least half a decade now.
Well she says she's only been with one, so you're not doing so well there Rob.

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Airdog wrote:
Well she says she's only been with one, so you're not doing so well there Rob.
Seriously? f***. I guess I can claim I'm more of a whore than a professional basketball player. If there were a thumbs up icon I'd be posting it up here.
- Rob

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

I just won an iPod Video at work. They had a contest where you had to send in security/safety suggestions. I won!

Woohoo!

I gotta find a buyer for it now. Not sure if it's the 30GB or 60GB one yet.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Supplies are tight so you should be able to get a good price for it.

You know they use a Broadcom chip in it which I believe does some basic 3D? I think Broadcom bought it from a company in England.

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

wco81 wrote:Supplies are tight so you should be able to get a good price for it.

You know they use a Broadcom chip in it which I believe does some basic 3D? I think Broadcom bought it from a company in England.
You know where I work and what I work on.. so you know for sure that I'm well aware of that specific Broadcom chip!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

James_E wrote:I just won an iPod Video at work. They had a contest where you had to send in security/safety suggestions. I won!

Woohoo!

Lucky guy.....here's a suggestion, all DSPer's put down $10 bucks in a piggy bank, you draw the winner's name at the end of the month. Just a thought :D

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

10spro wrote:
James_E wrote:I just won an iPod Video at work. They had a contest where you had to send in security/safety suggestions. I won!

Woohoo!

Lucky guy.....here's a suggestion, all DSPer's put down $10 bucks in a piggy bank, you draw the winner's name at the end of the month. Just a thought :D
it's 30GB one... my wife seems interested in it now so I don't know if it's for sale or not.

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

wco81 wrote:Supplies are tight so you should be able to get a good price for it.

I think it's photo slides when you hook the iPod up to a TV.

Congrats on the win - I've been happy with mine so far.
- Rob

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Any other MP3/Video players other than the Ipod Video?

I just saw the Zen Vision($400 ouch!) on Creative's website and it looks SWEET.

It does look like a better overall product than the Ipod Video since the screen is larger.

Are they anyother companies releasing this kind of product?

I really don't want to spend more that $300.

Any recomendations?

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

I'm becoming more interested in a combination video/audio player as well. The only one I've heard about is the iPod video player. Guess I'll have to do some searching, but if anyone has any info on these, I'd love to hear it.
-Matt

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

That's the tradeoff. Larger screen means larger overall gear, more battery drain, higher cost.

If you're definitely planning on watching a lot of videos, then get the ones with the bigger screens. But if you're just curious, make sure you plan to use the video a lot or else you'll find you've paid extra for video capability that you don't use regularly after trying it out a few times when you first got the gear.

Because while these larger screens are great for video, they make for a more bulky device to carry around if you mostly listen to music. How well can you use these bigger players at the gym for instance?

It's like people trying out videos on the PSP the first few times and then not going through the hassle of converting and then copying to Memory Sticks. BTW, the new firmware supports 480x272 videos.

I downloaded some bittorrents of videos formatted for the iPod (podtropolis.com) as well as rip some DVDs. Got them loaded but haven't really sat down to watch any yet, even though I did take it on a trip.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

wco81 wrote:That's the tradeoff. Larger screen means larger overall gear, more battery drain, higher cost.

If you're definitely planning on watching a lot of videos, then get the ones with the bigger screens. But if you're just curious, make sure you plan to use the video a lot or else you'll find you've paid extra for video capability that you don't use regularly after trying it out a few times when you first got the gear.

Because while these larger screens are great for video, they make for a more bulky device to carry around if you mostly listen to music. How well can you use these bigger players at the gym for instance?

It's like people trying out videos on the PSP the first few times and then not going through the hassle of converting and then copying to Memory Sticks. BTW, the new firmware supports 480x272 videos.

I downloaded some bittorrents of videos formatted for the iPod (podtropolis.com) as well as rip some DVDs. Got them loaded but haven't really sat down to watch any yet, even though I did take it on a trip.

Wco:

Let me know if you get to see any video on it and how it looks.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Great deals for those still looking for an ipod, including accesories.

http://www.techbargains.com/cheapipods.cfm

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

Has anybody gotten ahold of a moderately priced case for a black 30gb iPod video?

Thanks for any help in advance.
- Rob

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Rob,

You have a PM.