It is a small world / sour grapes ...

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

snate
Starting 5
Starting 5

It is a small world / sour grapes ...

Post by snate »

When I was growing up it was instilled in me that if you wanted to be successful you became a doctor or a lawyer. I don't have the stomach for blood, so I got good grades, went to good schools, and got a law degree. As a lawyer, I work like a dog and after I pay my student loan I am lucky if I have enough to pay the rest of my bills. Add the fact that I don't particularly enjoy what I do and you can say that I am not a happy camper.

Last night I am messing around with my PSP while my wife was watching the Martha Apprentice show and I hear a familiar voice. I look up and my pledgemaster from my fraternity is a contestant on the show - Howie. I looked up his bio on the website and I read that he went to wall street after college (like everybody else I went to school with) and then recently started a womens clothing line that earns him $5,000,000+ year. Yikes.

I called a buddy of mine that I pledged with, that also went into law to laugh and b*tch about Howie. He tells me that if that wasn't enough, Josh, another fraternity brother of ours, was going to be on this season of the Donald, and that he was also a multi-millionaire.

To add to this reality show wierdness, Olivier from the Lawfirm reality show, was a classmate of mine in lawschool.

It is small world. It seems like someone I know is on every reality show.

I also have come to the realization that the path I was sold is not one I would recommend to my kids or my worst enemy. If I had to do it over again, I would have went into the businees world out of college with no debt, no wife, etc. and tried as many businesses as it took until I figured out something that works.

fatheadX
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by fatheadX »

I believe it was the great philosopher Morrissey who stated "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful." Here, here.

:)

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

An unhappy lawyer struggling with student loans? Never heard of such a thing ;)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Re: It is a small world / sour grapes ...

Post by sfz_T-car »

snate wrote:

I also have come to the realization that the path I was sold is not one I would recommend to my kids or my worst enemy. If I had to do it over again, I would have went into the businees world out of college with no debt, no wife, etc. and tried as many businesses as it took until I figured out something that works.
Maybe you can start-up a consulting business for fantasy soccer contests

Jason
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Jason »

Don't feel so bad, I went to high school with P. Diddy :( .
www.SportsGamingNation.com

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Jason wrote:Don't feel so bad, I went to high school with P. Diddy :( .
I can pretty much guarantee he's winning.

Jason
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Jason »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
I can pretty much guarantee he's winning.
You think :wink: .
www.SportsGamingNation.com

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Heh, the most famous person from my high school is Ryan Seacrest. Ouch...

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

DChaps wrote:

Craig Elho is the most famous person from our High School... Forver posterized by MJ.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

DChaps wrote:

Yeah, that's a big ouch.

At least I got Mike Leiberthal (C, Phillies), Eric Wynalda (Soccer) and Billy Miller (TE, Browns).

TheMightyPuck
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheMightyPuck »

I always liked Gore Vidal's line:

Every time a friend of mine succeeds
something in me dies.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Yeah, well I got... uh...er.... nothing.
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

Kate Greenhouse was a roomie of mine in Junior year of University

http://imdb.com/name/nm0339075/

http://www.scifi.com/webs/ (BLonde girl in the ad for "Webs")

mobiggins
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mobiggins »

My highschool didn't do so well. It only spawned Jensen Ackles (minor soap and TV star) and Jeremy Coon, a friend of mine back then and the editor and producer of Napoleon Dynamite now.

The high school I teach at, on the other hand sent David Koresh and the Black Power Ranger out into the world. :o

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

Bernie Kosar would be my high schools most famous alumn

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I went to high school with the drummer of Hootie and the Blowfish, Jim Sonefeld.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

skinsfan
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by skinsfan »

My HS spawned David Akers,Kevin Jarvis,Darrin Horn and Brian Littrell of the Backstreet Boys.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

My friends and I used to make fun of Phil Mickelson when we had a weight lifting class with him in high school. Guess who's laughing now?

On the plus side, Scott Peterson was two classes behind me.

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

My highschool Todd Greene catcher a few years ago for the Yankees.

And my bestfriend from grade school is dating Ashley Olson.

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

I must have gone to school with a bunch of losers.
If I had to do it over again, I would have went into the businees world out of college with no debt, no wife, etc
I'm sure the wife likes to hear that. ;)

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

Boom wrote:I must have gone to school with a bunch of losers.
If I had to do it over again, I would have went into the businees world out of college with no debt, no wife, etc
I'm sure wife likes to hear that. ;)
You are ok as long as they don't say the same thing.

:lol:

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

lol, true

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

$$ isn't the only measure of success. I make a measly salary, but I get to work at home, in my pajamas, and play with my puppy and help my wife's business get off the ground. Sure, I will never be able to afford that fancy car or big house, but I am very happy with what I have and I am blessed to share my life with someone I would die for.

Well, at least I keep telling myself that everytime I see a Ferrari or Lamborghini drives by :oops: :lol:

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Not to sound harsh, but you're a lawyer, how bad can you have it? Once your loans are paid off you'll be far ahead of any regular Joe working 7-5 days in a manufacturing plant. If they had 'net access at work I'm sure they'd all reply with a big boo-hoo, poor lawyer feels like he's not making out well enough.

Success is all relative. I work in a cube most of the day. I don't particularly like that aspect of my job, but the pay is descent, and for the most part I enjoy my field (IT). I'm sure as a lawyer you're making 6 figures already. If not, I'm sure you will be soon. A lot of people would love to have that over working 12 hour days in a factory just to pay the bills. If you really do not like it, then get out. It sounds like you went to a good college, so I'm sure you're smart and talented enough to start your own business.

Sorry for sounding a bit rough, but hearing a lawyer complain about not being well enough off doesn't sit real well with me.
-Matt

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

matthewk wrote:Not to sound harsh, but you're a lawyer, how bad can you have it? Once your loans are paid off you'll be far ahead of any regular Joe working 7-5 days in a manufacturing plant. If they had 'net access at work I'm sure they'd all reply with a big boo-hoo, poor lawyer feels like he's not making out well enough.

Success is all relative. I work in a cube most of the day. I don't particularly like that aspect of my job, but the pay is descent, and for the most part I enjoy my field (IT). I'm sure as a lawyer you're making 6 figures already. If not, I'm sure you will be soon. A lot of people would love to have that over working 12 hour days in a factory just to pay the bills. If you really do not like it, then get out. It sounds like you went to a good college, so I'm sure you're smart and talented enough to start your own business.

Sorry for sounding a bit rough, but hearing a lawyer complain about not being well enough off doesn't sit real well with me.
Couldn't have said it better than that Matt. I probably make the least of all you boneheads, but I guarantee I'm also one of the happiest guys here at DSP. I've got a wife who loves me and doesn't care what I do or how much I make. As long as I'm happy, that's all that matters to her. I've got two beautiful kids that mean the absolute world to me. In the end, that's all that matters. You can't take your big house and your fancy cars to the grave. I don't want people to remember me for being rich or poor, but for who I was and what I meant to them.

[/quote]