OT: Finally...A Worthwhile MP3 Player (really long)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Finally...A Worthwhile MP3 Player (really long)

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Well after searching for the last year and a half...I think I have finally found the perfect MP3 player for me. Lets go back a little bit though, and give you a rundown of all of the MP3 players I've had or tried in that time frame.

Ipod Mini
Ipod 4G
Ipod Nano
Ipod Photo

Creative Zen Xtra
Creative Zen Micro
Creative Zen N200
Creative Zen NanoPlus

Iriver H320
Iriver H10

JetAudio iAudio U2

Toshiba Gigabeat

Now, as you can see, I've had a wide range of players from a wide range of companies. For the past few months...I've been using the JetAudio iAudio U2 and it's been phenomenal. The sound quality cannot be matched...that's just all there is to it. Nothing really even comes close...until now. But...and there is always a but...the iAudio just couldn't satisfy me when it comes to space on the drive. I had the 1GB player (there was a 2GB as well)...and that's fine and dandy but that's not enough space for me (I've got over 70 gbs of music). With the 1GB player I could put 10-15 albums on there at a time. Sure, that's not too bad, but I liked using the Ipod 4G and the Iriver H320 in my car as well. I've got an auxilery line going from the back of my car stereo to a mounting spot for an MP3 player. The iAudio just wasn't cutting it in that respect.

So I began the search for a bigger player, >4GB. I went and tried out the Nano...bye bye...shitty sound quality, per the usual for the Ipod line. And back I went to the iAudio. I was considering going to the iAudio X5 which is a 20gb player but it's also slightly bigger than a 20gb Ipod, so that is pretty much out of the question. I don't want to have to keep my iAudio U2 around for gym use if I get a Jukebox player so I began doing a little research online since I had tried out virtually every player that you could buy IN a store. I came across the beauty I have in front of me right now.

Presenting, the Sony Network Walkman NW-HD5 with 20gb of storage space at a nice little price of $255 from Amazon.com right now.

(I don't feel like taking pics tonight so I'm putting up the stock photo).

This is the one I got...the black version. There are two other colors: silver and red. Supposedly there have been button cracking issues with the two other colors because they have clear buttons. Regardless, the cracks are right in the four corners around the "play" button and they are so damn small I can't even see where they WOULD crack. So I stuck with black as it was my first choice anyway.

As you can see, it's much smaller (and thinner) than a 4G Ipod...which is outstanding. Mine is also in English...lol.

Now...as you can see, it's a damn fine looking player. I know, I know...people don't like the interface already because of the buttons. Well Sony has a great idea...it's called SEARCHING. Press a button and a search "keyboard" comes up and you just press the letter you want to skip to and voila, you're there. No wheel spinning or touch stripping (sounds fun though). It's really quite simple, and really quite useful.

Another hellova nice feature on the player...a nice and smooth 40 hours of play on a single charge (HOLY CRAP!).

Also...for the past couple years, Sony has been pimping the hell out of their ATRAC format. While I didn't agree with it at the time...I do now. This player will allow you to play your MP3s on it...no problem (same with WMAs)...but it really shines when you convert them to ATRAC. Now...for some reason, when you just put an MP3 on the player, Sony limits what you can do with the sound equalizer. I mean you can adjust the bass and trebel but not really anything outside of that when it comes to fine tuning your listening experience. Again, the iAudio is ridiculous at that. But...if you convert your MP3s to the ATRAC format (at 132kbps) you will get equal sound quality to that of a 256kbps MP3 file. So, imagine what that does to the disk space...for example...I had one CD in MP3 format that was 77mb. In ATRAC it was 48...and it sounded exactly the same without any sound enhancements. Once I transferred a few Albums in both format and did some listening tests, I am convinced that ATRAC is a good thing. The downside is that you have to take about twice as long to transfer the songs over to the player because it has to go through the conversion process at the same time. It is a price I'm willing to pay though due to the fact that I am getting better sound quality and a smaller footprint. Also, for some reason, you get 10 more hours of battery life when you use the ATRAC format. Wonder why that is?

One of the main complaints I see all over the web is the SonicStage software that comes with the player. You are required to use it to transfer music to it...which sucks, but it works. I have yet to have any problems whatsoever with the software. I have a feeling it's because people are still using the 3.0 or 3.1 software because I went right to the Sony site to get the newest which is 3.2. I haven't had any problems and it's just as intuitive as ITunes if you ask me...and people go crazy for that piece of spyware.

So...in conclusion...the Sony guys have finally come out with a player that will satisfy me. Sure...I'm lacking some of the other features I so highly coveted (FM tuner for one)...but when a player gets the MP3 thing correct...I'm willing to sacrafice a little bit. This player sounds GREAT (although still not up to the iAudio standards) and it's in an extremely small package for a 20gb player. Seriously you have got to see it in action because you cannot believe how small it is. Not exactly Nano small, but you get the point.

Hopefully I'm done with these Mp3 threads for a while...although I highly doubt it with Christmas coming up and all of the companies coming out with their new players.

jcalvert
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by jcalvert »

"So I began the search for a bigger player, >4GB. I went and tried out the Nano...bye bye...shitty sound quality, per the usual for the Ipod line."

Nice post. Not to start an iPod debate - I really do not want to do that. I love my iPod photo, but it is really my only experience with an MP3 player.

My question is this - when you say that the iPod line more or less has a subpar sound quality, how do you determine that the quality is poor? Is this a subjective (i.e. iPod quality does not sound good to your ears), or is it more objective (i.e. base on specs).

To be honest, my hearing has never been the same since the U2 Zoo tour back in 1993 (front row, left corner of the stage) in the GA Dome. So I doubt I could tell minor differences in output between MP3 players.

Just wondering if the quality is really that bad.
jcalvert
www.calvertgames.com

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Sony's latest offerings have been a major step forward. I had no idea their 20GB player was actually cheaper than the iPod. Great move on their part.

I'm actually very intrigued by Sony's latest flash players. Some of them (OLED displays, I think) look awesome, but are a big on the expensive side.

They need to get their sh*t together on their software, though. I don't think everyone will be as willing to work with it as you are.

As far as sound quality goes, if you are using stock earbuds/headphones, then I don't think you'll be able to hear much of a difference. You really need to get to the +$100 options to hear it, IMO.

BigAl
Mario Mendoza

Post by BigAl »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Umm...who the f*ck cares?

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Hmm, ATRAC is universally hated. It consistently comes last or near the bottom in codec comparisons of sound quality. I've only dealt with it on a Mini Disc. If I had to transcode the stuff (with reports of the transcoding bringing some fairly fast computers to a crawl), I'd never bother with it.

Specs-wise, the Sony players are really high-tech, with OLED displays and long battery life (although the high battery life numbers are usually for ATRAC at 64kbps). They do a good job at shrinking everything but the physical UI is weird, like that flash player shaped like a tube you had to twist, or all these buttons. Then they go for something odd like those bean-shaped things they showed last week.

Their software is suppose to get better along with their music store.

I think they're trying to start with modest goals, like do better in Japan and then by next March, shipping 4 million of the new bean-shaped players which will come out in Nov/Dec.

Not sure if they're going to continue with this NW line. One of the problems they had was different divisions coming out with competing DAPs. Supposedly they're going to streamline the design units as well as the lines of products. Sounds like the new bean-shaped players are their first big push.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

jcalvert wrote:My question is this - when you say that the iPod line more or less has a subpar sound quality, how do you determine that the quality is poor? Is this a subjective (i.e. iPod quality does not sound good to your ears), or is it more objective (i.e. base on specs).
It's mostly subjective...and 9 out of 10 iPod owners are like yourself, and have never tried anything else. If you're satisfied with the SQ of the iPod then it's all good. When I compare the same tracks on a player like the iAudio...the iAudio will give you clearer highs and a deeper and fuller low end. That's been my experience. But like I said, it's mostly subjective and a lot of it has to do with what kind of music you listen to.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

BigAl wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Umm...who the f*ck cares?
Mrs. Al.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

wco81 wrote:Hmm, ATRAC is universally hated. It consistently comes last or near the bottom in codec comparisons of sound quality. I've only dealt with it on a Mini Disc. If I had to transcode the stuff (with reports of the transcoding bringing some fairly fast computers to a crawl), I'd never bother with it.
I've heard that too...which is why I never bothered with any of their previoius NW players. But once I started hearing the good things about the HD5 I had to give it a try and I'm glad I did. It's not really about transcoding stuff at all. With the SonicStage software...I load up a bunch of MP3s into my "Library" and click on Auto and it transfers all of the stuff that isn't currently on the player, to the player and encodes it at that time. It takes a little longer to transfer so I just click it and let it go.

And when I go and compare the two tracks (the MP3 version @192 and the Atrac @132) they are almost identical...with the slight edge going to the Atracs because I can tweak them more on the player itself. Obviously it's not going to be BETTER than the MP3 because that is the source file...but it's shrinking it down to about 66% and keeping the same sound quality. I love it.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

wco81 wrote:Hmm, ATRAC is universally hated. It consistently comes last or near the bottom in codec comparisons of sound quality. I've only dealt with it on a Mini Disc. If I had to transcode the stuff (with reports of the transcoding bringing some fairly fast computers to a crawl), I'd never bother with it.
I dealt with it as well with a Mini-Disc Sports player. It was great at the time because my Mini-Disk player was half as much money as an MP3 player and I could fit 5 or 6 albums on a disk and have lots of disks. However, I never want to have to deal with that again.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

BTW...if anyone is looking for an awesome 1GB player for the gym or something, I'm selling the iAudio for 125 bucks...and if someone around here wants to buy it, I'll ship it for free (rather than the 10 bucks on ebay).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

GridIronGhost
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by GridIronGhost »

You sure that is an mp3 player and not one of those phaser guns from star trek? It looks like the new phaser model with the slider knob..... :lol:
"If I didn't want 50 percent of my income and wanted the government to regulate every aspect of my life, I'd live in California."

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

GridIronGhost wrote:You sure that is an mp3 player and not one of those phaser guns from star trek? It looks like the new phaser model with the slider knob..... :lol:
Which one?

TheHiddenTrack
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by TheHiddenTrack »

dbdynsty25 wrote:BTW...if anyone is looking for an awesome 1GB player for the gym or something, I'm selling the iAudio for 125 bucks...and if someone around here wants to buy it, I'll ship it for free (rather than the 10 bucks on ebay).

That's tempting, I need one for just that reason.....but damn. I've been trying to be conservative lately so I'll just say no.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TheHiddenTrack wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:BTW...if anyone is looking for an awesome 1GB player for the gym or something, I'm selling the iAudio for 125 bucks...and if someone around here wants to buy it, I'll ship it for free (rather than the 10 bucks on ebay).

That's tempting, I need one for just that reason.....but damn. I've been trying to be conservative lately so I'll just say no.
It's gone now anyway...someone bought it.

GridIronGhost
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by GridIronGhost »

Beam me up Scotty... :lol:
"If I didn't want 50 percent of my income and wanted the government to regulate every aspect of my life, I'd live in California."

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

BTW...this MP3 player is still badass. I haven't found anything that can even come close to it in terms of overall quality and appeal. In case anyone cares. :lol:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I decided to spend a lot of money instead on a headphone such as the new Bose Quiet comfort 2 model, and it's like night and day compared to the regular ipod earphone. Great Bass. All of the sudden the ipod got new life.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:I decided to spend a lot of money instead on a headphone such as the new Bose Quiet comfort 2 model, and it's like night and day compared to the regular ipod earphone. Great Bass. All of the sudden the ipod got new life.
The QC2's are pretty good noise cancelling cans...the Tri-Ports seems to have a better range (highs and lows) though. 300 bones for a pair of headphones is a little out of my league, that's for sure. My dad's got them and I like them, but I don't 300 dollars like them.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

My wife got me the QC2's for my birthay last year. They're superb. Great sound, comfortable, and solid Noise-Cancelling performance. The only drawback (besides price) is that they are bulky, but I use the provided case and keep my iPod's stock headphones in the pouch, so I can quickly change between them when I land (after a flight).

Now, if Apple would just build Dolby's upcoming HEADPHONE technology into the iPod...

For anyone who hasn't heard it, go check out the diggnation podcast from last week. They were at Dolby labs and demo'd Dolby's surround sound headphone technology; made even my stock iPod headphones sound like an impressive 5.1 Home Theater - highly recommend a listen!.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
10spro wrote:I decided to spend a lot of money instead on a headphone such as the new Bose Quiet comfort 2 model, and it's like night and day compared to the regular ipod earphone. Great Bass. All of the sudden the ipod got new life.
The QC2's are pretty good noise cancelling cans...the Tri-Ports seems to have a better range (highs and lows) though. 300 bones for a pair of headphones is a little out of my league, that's for sure. My dad's got them and I like them, but I don't 300 dollars like them.

Yeah, they are a bit pricey but it's an alternative to those ipod owners that don't want to buy another MP3 player & like you say, the tripod is abit cheaper with a great range of sound too. The QC2's are great for travelling.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah, I really wish the Tri-Ports folded up like the QC2s...but I think they sound better so I'm willing to sacrafice a bit...and at half the price, it's a no brainer.

TheHiddenTrack
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by TheHiddenTrack »

DB, any thoughts on MP3 players after a month?

I'm going to buy one finally.....and the $255 price of the Sony Network Walkman NW-HD5 is tempting me, although the new Ipod's have 10 more GB.......

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Couldn't this thread be added on to the other MP3 player thread. Sheesh

All you had to do was a simple search and you would have found...

http://www.digitalsportspage.com/module ... light=ipod

:D
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

TheHiddenTrack
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by TheHiddenTrack »

JRod wrote:Couldn't this thread be added on to the other MP3 player thread. Sheesh

Ya, I actually had to do a search that was harder to find this thread. I haven't had alot of time to check the forum...and I remembered this thread....thank you.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

TheHiddenTrack wrote:
JRod wrote:Couldn't this thread be added on to the other MP3 player thread. Sheesh

Ya, I actually had to do a search that was harder to find this thread. I haven't had alot of time to check the forum...and I remembered this thread....thank you.
Haha, well I was just giving DB a hard time. Actually he's been pretty good about shelling out the info on the MP3 players. Although he doens't like IPods.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]