OT: Finally...A Worthwhile MP3 Player (really long)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Finally...A Worthwhile MP3 Player (really long)

Post by wco81 »

I think most people don't care enough to pay for niche formats or change their routine, like dedicate a time to sit down and listen to music rather than give up the convenience of being able to listen to it anywhere -- gym, car, work, etc.

The last 10-20 years has shown that "good enough" sells a lot of product. So a lot of people will take most of their pictures with phones rather than invest money and time in dedicated cameras.

I guess I've become lazy with checking out new sources of music. One problem is that I rarely listen to radio any more. I'll listen to some MP3 downloads of radio programs but it's often sports talk radio or comedian podcasts. Podcasts in general are what I listen to on a daily basis.

I can still enjoy the music I got into decades ago so again, more laziness, though I wonder if music makes more of an impression on you when you're younger.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I'm amazed at Samsung who probably makes the shittiest Android (Touchwiz) UI can make the best Music app available with the worst name, "Milk". :lol:

I've tried pretty much every streaming service besides Beats and the Milk music app by Samsung is the best of the bunch. It has the SLICKEST UI, the best music match. You can customize the categories and each category has sub categories. Every music category doesn't disappoint either and you can build a playlist if you like. At first the Music app was only available for the Samsung Pro tablets but now they made it available for the rest of the Galaxy line.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:I'm amazed at Samsung who probably makes the shittiest Android (Touchwiz) UI can make the best Music app available with the worst name, "Milk". :lol:

I've tried pretty much every streaming service besides Beats and the Milk music app by Samsung is the best of the bunch. It has the SLICKEST UI, the best music match. You can customize the categories and each category has sub categories. Every music category doesn't disappoint either and you can build a playlist if you like. At first the Music app was only available for the Samsung Pro tablets but now they made it available for the rest of the Galaxy line.
And there you've gone and given us the best reason NOT to use it. You have to have a Galaxy phone. No thanks. The S3 was the last decent one that wasn't horribly bogged down by crappy useless software. That said, rumors are of a very slimmed down software implementation on the S6 since the S5 was so disappointing sales-wise. So there's hope.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Another nice thing about the Samsung music app is that there aren't any commercials. I've been using it the last several days and haven't noticed any yet, its been all music. Now that i've jinxed myself i'll probably get 35 commercials in a row. :roll:

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

My old 80G iPod bit the dust. I thought about finally making the jump toward just using my phone, but my Galaxy S5 has been terrible for battery life and heat since the last Android update. Plus, while I enjoy the convenience of streaming a lot, even on the highest setting there tends to be a compression that compromises the sound quality. I'm not a huge snob about this stuff (I did own an iPod for 7 years), but I wasn't ready to let go off an offline, dedicated music player just yet.

My wife wound up getting a me a FiiO X3 2nd generation player, and I love it. It uses microSD instead of internal memory, so there's no real issue with filling it up. The UI leaves a bit to be desired, but the sound is fantastic, and it has a separate line out jack which is perfect for plugging into my desktop speakers while I'm working. For $200 it feels like a bit of a steal.

The other thing I tried out was buying a 24/192 FLAC version of The Yes Album from HDTracks. I know that 24/192 is both overkill and likely bullshit, but HDTracks had a special version taken from a flat master, so I figured I would give it a shot. My verdict is that it sounds amazing but not amazing enough to take up 1.25 gigs! Seriously, I love the clarity of it, but that probably has way more to do with the master than the excessive sample rate.

Anyone else been taking the HD music plunge? HDTracks does have some original source masters of some classic albums I love and would curious to see how they sound vs. more current remastered CD versions that I have.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Brando70 wrote:My old 80G iPod bit the dust. I thought about finally making the jump toward just using my phone, but my Galaxy S5 has been terrible for battery life and heat since the last Android update. Plus, while I enjoy the convenience of streaming a lot, even on the highest setting there tends to be a compression that compromises the sound quality. I'm not a huge snob about this stuff (I did own an iPod for 7 years), but I wasn't ready to let go off an offline, dedicated music player just yet.

My wife wound up getting a me a FiiO X3 2nd generation player, and I love it. It uses microSD instead of internal memory, so there's no real issue with filling it up. The UI leaves a bit to be desired, but the sound is fantastic, and it has a separate line out jack which is perfect for plugging into my desktop speakers while I'm working. For $200 it feels like a bit of a steal.

The other thing I tried out was buying a 24/192 FLAC version of The Yes Album from HDTracks. I know that 24/192 is both overkill and likely bullshit, but HDTracks had a special version taken from a flat master, so I figured I would give it a shot. My verdict is that it sounds amazing but not amazing enough to take up 1.25 gigs! Seriously, I love the clarity of it, but that probably has way more to do with the master than the excessive sample rate.

Anyone else been taking the HD music plunge? HDTracks does have some original source masters of some classic albums I love and would curious to see how they sound vs. more current remastered CD versions that I have.
As a huge FiiO fan, I've got a few of their players and amps. I've got the X3II and the X5II and I love them both. Hi Res music is definitely awesome if you've got the headphones to enjoy it. I've basically ripped all of my CDs back into FLAC for this reason alone. Its too bad I don't have many of my CDs left. The UI on the X3II is definitely worse than the X5II mainly because the screen is lower resolution, but either way, you are getting a RIDICULOUSLY good player in X3II for 200 bucks. it's a steal basically.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I have a Fiio X3 (1st Gen), Fiio E11 and E06. They make quality players.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

The thing I love is how versatile it is. I plugged it into my Marantz receiver and streamed some FLAC files of CDs I'd reburned, and it sounded fantastic. My iPod always had more of a flat sound when I played it through my home theater, even with 320k MP3s. I'm not saying I could tell the difference every time, but for some albums it is pretty clear, especially when you crank the volume.

I have also been looking up albums on HDTracks on the Dynamic Range Database, http://dr.loudness-war.info/. It's not so much the 96/24 or 192/24 that I'm interested in as it is that they have some classic albums that have been remastered with higher dynamic range from a lot of brickwalled 90s and 00s remastered CDs. I'm not going to go crazy and rebuy a lot of stuff I already own, but there are a few I'll probably snag in HD audio versions because their DR ratings are so much better.

Next will be headphone shopping at some point. I have a pair of Shure E215s that I love and are a great buy for <$100, but I'd like to upgrade to some good over-the-ear headphones.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Brando70 wrote:Next will be headphone shopping at some point. I have a pair of Shure E215s that I love and are a great buy for <$100, but I'd like to upgrade to some good over-the-ear headphones.
Oppo PM-3. End of discussion. Well, if you want to spend that kind of money of course. They pair perfectly with the X3II.

https://www.oppodigital.com/headphones-pm-3/

I've tried nearly all of the headphones under 500 bucks and they win...easily. So comfortable, such fantastic sound, and really portable if you want to take them with you. I can't recommend them highly enough Check out the reviews on the web...I'm not sure I've ever seen a negative one.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Brando70 wrote:Next will be headphone shopping at some point. I have a pair of Shure E215s that I love and are a great buy for <$100, but I'd like to upgrade to some good over-the-ear headphones.
Oppo PM-3. End of discussion. Well, if you want to spend that kind of money of course. They pair perfectly with the X3II.

I've tried nearly all of the headphones under 500 bucks and they win...easily. So comfortable, such fantastic sound, and really portable if you want to take them with you. I can't recommend them highly enough Check out the reviews on the web...I'm not sure I've ever seen a negative one.
Those are not out of the price range for a Christmas gift from Mrs. Brando, so thanks for the recommendation. Do you use a headphone amp for those, DB, or does the X3ii have enough muscle to power them adequately?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Brando70 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:

Those are not out of the price range for a Christmas gift from Mrs. Brando, so thanks for the recommendation. Do you use a headphone amp for those, DB, or does the X3ii have enough muscle to power them adequately?
The X3 has plenty of power. Not a problem at all. When Oppo announced those I got their portable headphone amp as well...the HA2 ($300) and I really couldn't tell the difference out of the Fiio players. I could out of my phone (Moto X at the time) but not the dedicated players. So you're good directly out of it.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Well the f$&kers at Microsoft are finally pulling the plug. Been a customer of theirs with the Zune Pass/Xbox Music for a long time with my Zune HD. Not only are they ending Zune officially now, but the new Groove service is making my trusty Zune HD a brick in terms of DRM music. I was on the old plan with 10 free songs a month and loved the exhaustive library. Every week I'd download new albums and listen on the go. All that disappears in a month or two. Groove will not work with the HD and my 120 free songs a year are gone.

I guess I'll be in the market for a new music service. Not sure I want to support MS after this. Recommendations?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

F308GTB wrote:Well the f$&kers at Microsoft are finally pulling the plug. Been a customer of theirs with the Zune Pass/Xbox Music for a long time with my Zune HD. Not only are they ending Zune officially now, but the new Groove service is making my trusty Zune HD a brick in terms of DRM music. I was on the old plan with 10 free songs a month and loved the exhaustive library. Every week I'd download new albums and listen on the go. All that disappears in a month or two. Groove will not work with the HD and my 120 free songs a year are gone.

I guess I'll be in the market for a new music service. Not sure I want to support MS after this. Recommendations?
I still have my ZuneHD. Too bad MS totally sucks at marketing because they made one hell of a player. I still use my player for it's HD Digital Radio.

For your DRM issues, Soundtaxi is your friend. It strips all DRM and keeps the music. :)

http://www.soundtaxi.info/

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

F308GTB wrote:Well the f$&kers at Microsoft are finally pulling the plug. Been a customer of theirs with the Zune Pass/Xbox Music for a long time with my Zune HD. Not only are they ending Zune officially now, but the new Groove service is making my trusty Zune HD a brick in terms of DRM music. I was on the old plan with 10 free songs a month and loved the exhaustive library. Every week I'd download new albums and listen on the go. All that disappears in a month or two. Groove will not work with the HD and my 120 free songs a year are gone.

PK and Db have already recommend it, but I'd give Google Music a shot. I only use it for the upload capability but their subscription service is pretty strong. What I love is you can upload 20,000 of your own songs free, and I think the sound quality is good for streaming if you set it to High. They have a 30-day free trial.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Brando70 wrote:PK and Db have already recommend it, but I'd give Google Music a shot. I only use it for the upload capability but their subscription service is pretty strong. What I love is you can upload 20,000 of your own songs free, and I think the sound quality is good for streaming if you set it to High. They have a 30-day free trial.
Yes, this. Can't recommend Google Music highly enough, and of course I've used the rest of the services too. It just can't be beat. The interface is the cleanest, the ability to upload your own library and the sound quality consistently rates as being the best of all of the streaming services as well. It really can't be beat.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Anyone here try the V-Moda Forza's? Android Police gave them high marks for sound and design. I like my headphones with some bass pop and detailed mid's and highs. Don't know if i'm asking too much cause these only cost $99.

http://v-moda.com/forza/#

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Anyone here try the V-Moda Forza's? Android Police gave them high marks for sound and design. I like my headphones with some bass pop and detailed mid's and highs. Don't know if i'm asking too much cause these only cost $99.

http://v-moda.com/forza/#
That's not asking too much at all around 100 bucks these days. TONS of options at that price point that pack a hell of a punch.

I'm a Centurion for V-MODA (basically they give us stuff before it's released to get some reviews out there on Amazon and the Head-Fi forums)...got a regular and Metallo version. They are pretty good, but be sure you get the Metallos as they have a better overall sound profile. The advantage to the Forza is that it's REALLY light and small and still packs a significant bass punch. Shockingly actually. They are especially good for gym use because of the form factor.

I really can't think of any headphones in the price range (<130) that surpass them easily...maybe the VSonic GR07 Bass Edition (the new version linked below) (which just means slightly elevated bass, not quite as much as the Forza) or the upcoming Trinity Audio Atlas Delta (I have the previous model, the Atlas).

https://www.amazon.com/VSONIC-NEW-GR07- ... words=gr07

Currently I use the newly released VSonic GR07X...which is a much more balanced sound, and it's actually a phenomenal headphone for 200 bucks. Could possibly be my favorite headphone I've ever heard under 400 bucks.

That said, there is a wireless version of the Forza coming out in a few weeks...I'm eagerly awaiting those.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I'm so behind. I'm still rocking the Zune HD with some old sonnenhein earbuds. I just like having a second device.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

fsquid wrote: I'm still rocking the Zune HD .
Who isnt?

That b*tch is still kicking ass.

Use it in my car every day.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

just wish mp3skull still had high quality mp3s.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Anyone here planning on picking up the Powerbeats Pro? If you are what are you planning on pairing them with? They've got me intrigued especially at $249. I was looking at the Cowon options and they are pretty limited for Bluetooth. The Cowon Plenue R got decent reviews but one reviewer who was pairing this player with the Bose QCII said the sound level drops by almost 50% when you go from wired to wireless.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I didn't realize they had been announced.

I like in-ear (hence no interest in AirPods) but not crazy about ear hooks, which prevent one from being used in either ear?

But they probably use those hooks for the battery space to get the 9 hours continuous.

They do come in several colors. But I'd be more interested if Beats came up with a new Beats X, which is what I'm using now.

They have a list of some other true wireless buds at the bottom of the article.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/3/18292 ... ed-airpods

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Too expensive. I found the perfect set of workout earphones...not truly wireless with the small cable behind the neck, but they absolutely destroy the Jaybirds who everyone loves.

Aukey B80s - at 70 bucks, sometimes cheaper, they are absolutely phenomenal. Best sounding wireless buds I've found, comfortable, great battery life. Literally no complaints, and you guys know me...I try damn near all products that are released.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JQ ... UTF8&psc=1

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

XXXIV wrote:
fsquid wrote: I'm still rocking the Zune HD .
Who isnt?

That b*tch is still kicking ass.

Use it in my car every day.
I've still got one I use regularly as well. It's a workhorse.

I've been using the Jabra Elite 65T wireless earbuds and they're a freaking dream! Great sound, cool features, good battery life. Probably the best bit of tech that I've found over the last couple years.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Too expensive. I found the perfect set of workout earphones...not truly wireless with the small cable behind the neck, but they absolutely destroy the Jaybirds who everyone loves.

Aukey B80s - at 70 bucks, sometimes cheaper, they are absolutely phenomenal. Best sounding wireless buds I've found, comfortable, great battery life. Literally no complaints, and you guys know me...I try damn near all products that are released.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JQ ... UTF8&psc=1
1) Do you think these will these work with my Cowon J3? These earphones are BT 5 and IIRC the Cowon J3 is BT 2.

2) What's the cheapest you've seen them? Currently they're $65 with the $5 off coupon Amazon has for these.

3) Do they have good Bass punch?

4) Any distortion in the mid's or highs?