OT: Finally...A Worthwhile MP3 Player (really long)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Finally...A Worthwhile MP3 Player (really long)

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Too expensive. I found the perfect set of workout earphones...not truly wireless with the small cable behind the neck, but they absolutely destroy the Jaybirds who everyone loves.

Aukey B80s - at 70 bucks, sometimes cheaper, they are absolutely phenomenal. Best sounding wireless buds I've found, comfortable, great battery life. Literally no complaints, and you guys know me...I try damn near all products that are released.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JQ ... UTF8&psc=1
1) Do you think these will these work with my Cowon J3? These earphones are BT 5 and IIRC the Cowon J3 is BT 2.

2) What's the cheapest you've seen them? Currently they're $65 with the $5 off coupon Amazon has for these.

3) Do they have good Bass punch?

4) Any distortion in the mid's or highs?
Pretty sure all bluetooth codecs are backwards compatible. And it's great to see you're still using the J3...love that player.

The cheapest I've seen them is around 59 bucks...that's what I got them for and then bought my bro his pair at 65. Pretty much a steal at either price.

And they sound fantastic. AptX really helps, but not sure that you'll get that from your player given it's pushing 5-6 years old. But they still sound great regardless. I was stunned at how much I like them, and my bro who's also really particular about his headphones for running is a big fan as well. So yeah...and Amazon has a great return policy if you don't like em for some reason. :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Pretty sure all bluetooth codecs are backwards compatible. And it's great to see you're still using the J3...love that player.

The cheapest I've seen them is around 59 bucks...that's what I got them for and then bought my bro his pair at 65. Pretty much a steal at either price.

And they sound fantastic. AptX really helps, but not sure that you'll get that from your player given it's pushing 5-6 years old. But they still sound great regardless. I was stunned at how much I like them, and my bro who's also really particular about his headphones for running is a big fan as well. So yeah...and Amazon has a great return policy if you don't like em for some reason. :)
Thanks for the info. I also have a Fiio X3 but I doubt that has BT, yeah I may need to get another Hi-Res player.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Kind of interesting that people no longer question using wireless now.

Wasn't that long ago that there was outcry about the removable of the headphone jacks. More companies have followed suit and you still hear occasional complaints but it seems more people no longer want to bother plugging in cords.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:Kind of interesting that people no longer question using wireless now.

Wasn't that long ago that there was outcry about the removable of the headphone jacks. More companies have followed suit and you still hear occasional complaints but it seems more people no longer want to bother plugging in cords.
Bluetooth technology and codecs also have improved to the point where you really need to get a set of audiophile cans that need to be driven by an amp to hear a huge difference between BT and wired headphones.

I bought a set of Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H4 wireless cans last fall, and they sound better for my music than any wired can I've owned or tried, including the Audio-Technica ATX-M40 and ATX-M50.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:Kind of interesting that people no longer question using wireless now.

I think part of the uproar is that Apple was charging $XX.X for a headphone dongle. If they had included it with the phone you probably wouldn't have heard a lot of complaints. And as PK mentioned BT technology has improved sound quality.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I still hate nearly all bluetooth headphones for the most part, when compared to wired. If I'm chillin somewhere listening to music, I go wired. I've got the Dragonfly Black USB headphone amp I plug into the USB C port on my Pixel 3 and iPad Pro...neither of which have a damn 3.5mm jack. Sucks that the best devices have the least amount of ports. Oh well.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Too expensive. I found the perfect set of workout earphones...not truly wireless with the small cable behind the neck, but they absolutely destroy the Jaybirds who everyone loves.

Aukey B80s - at 70 bucks, sometimes cheaper, they are absolutely phenomenal. Best sounding wireless buds I've found, comfortable, great battery life. Literally no complaints, and you guys know me...I try damn near all products that are released.

On your advice, I ordered my wife a pair of these. They are going to arrive today. You didn't let me down telling me about OnePlus, so I'm sure this will be another successful purchase.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

fletcher21 wrote:

On your advice, I ordered my wife a pair of these. They are going to arrive today. You didn't let me down telling me about OnePlus, so I'm sure this will be another successful purchase.
Amazon sent me an email that they are part of the Lightning Deal today. I'm glad I waited :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Not bad, I snagged a pair for $59.49 and they let me apply the $8 off coupon I clipped, so total cost was $51.49

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Rodster wrote:Not bad, I snagged a pair for $59.49 and they let me apply the $8 off coupon I clipped, so total cost was $51.49
Same here, thanks for the heads up!
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Amazon comes thru again, out for delivery did not even ask for next day delivery. Looking forward to seeing what wireless earbuds sound like. The one thing I read that might be a problem is that on previous models you couldn't change the ear tips. Not sure if that applies to the B80's.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Amazon comes thru again, out for delivery did not even ask for next day delivery. Looking forward to seeing what wireless earbuds sound like. The one thing I read that might be a problem is that on previous models you couldn't change the ear tips. Not sure if that applies to the B80's.
It doesn't...comes with a bunch of different sizes and they are standard size so if you have some others that you really like (Sony makes some awesome hybrid tips), then they can easily be used.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Not sure if the pair I received is DOA. They power up and begin to pair by holding the center button until the green and white LED starts flashing. On both of my phones Nexus 6/Huawei Mate SE it's seeing the same address but according to the manual it should display Aukey B80. I'm going to do a full charge and see if that's the problem. Other than that they look and feel nice, quality product.

Edit: They charged and I got them paired. They do sound fantastic so kudos to DB for the recommendation and they have incredible range. I had my Huawei phone about 30 ft away and they were still working. Solid bass, good response time although the highs sound a little too bright but for a pair of wireless earphone, these kick ass especially for $51.50

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Not sure if the pair I received is DOA. They power up and begin to pair by holding the center button until the green and white LED starts flashing. On both of my phones Nexus 6/Huawei Mate SE it's seeing the same address but according to the manual it should display Aukey B80. I'm going to do a full charge and see if that's the problem. Other than that they look and feel nice, quality product.

Edit: They charged and I got them paired. They do sound fantastic so kudos to DB for the recommendation and they have incredible range. I had my Huawei phone about 30 ft away and they were still working. Solid bass, good response time although the highs sound a little too bright but for a pair of wireless earphone, these kick ass especially for $51.50
The highs will settle after a few hours of playtime. I actually prefer a brighter V shaped sound so I don’t notice it as much but it did settle a bit.

Glad you like em. They really are so good even if they were twice the price.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

This spam sh*t is getting annoying having to find threads at the bottom of the page. Anyway, DB do the B80's go into sleep mode automatically if you don't use them after a certain time in idle mode? I've been manually turning them off and there's no info about sleep mode on these earphones.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:This spam sh*t is getting annoying having to find threads at the bottom of the page. Anyway, DB do the B80's go into sleep mode automatically if you don't use them after a certain time in idle mode? I've been manually turning them off and there's no info about sleep mode on these earphones.
Not sure either...I just turn em off.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Rodster wrote:This spam sh*t is getting annoying having to find threads at the bottom of the page. Anyway, DB do the B80's go into sleep mode automatically if you don't use them after a certain time in idle mode? I've been manually turning them off and there's no info about sleep mode on these earphones.
Got mine today, the manual says they will shut off after 5 minutes with no signal.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

vader29 wrote:
Got mine today, the manual says they will shut off after 5 minutes with no signal.
Damn, I read the manual looking for that info and could not find it. Thanks Vader !

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Rodster wrote:
vader29 wrote:
Damn, I read the manual looking for that info and could not find it. Thanks Vader !
I had to read the tiny manual with a magnifying glass, my poor eyes. 8O

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

vader29 wrote:I had to read the tiny manual with a magnifying glass, my poor eyes. 8O
Yup, had to breakout on my Fred Sanford reading glasses that's when I found it, thanks.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

You guys mind recommending a wireless headphone amp you like for the Aukey B80's? I've use the Fiio headphone amps for my wired earphones but just checking to see if there's anything out there that's worth the purchase on the wireless side.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:You guys mind recommending a wireless headphone amp you like for the Aukey B80's? I've use the Fiio headphone amps for my wired earphones but just checking to see if there's anything out there that's worth the purchase on the wireless side.
No such thing. An amp adds more power and clarity...can’t do it wirelessly. Lol. Think about it.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I just picked up a pair of the Aukey Totally Wireless earbuds during the Amazon BF Sale for $71. The reviews are even better than the Aukey B80's which I really like so I decided to give these a try since they don't have any cables and playtime is around 24H with the charging case.

Here's a link if anyone else is interested. Sale ends TODAY. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N1 ... UTF8&psc=1

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I got a chance to try the new Aukey True Wireless earbuds and they are really nice. Not sure if they surpass the B80's but they are nice nonetheless. It took some getting used to the earbud taps. You can lower and raise the volume, open Google Assistant and skip forward and reverse on songs. Even if you know what to press doesn't mean it works. It took awhile just to start a song with a quick tap. I finally had to start the song from the phone. A long press on the left earphone lowers the vol and the right earbud raises the vol. Sometimes that works, other times it takes multiple tries.

Sound wise it's pretty close to the B80's but not as loud and the B80's have a slightly better V shape EQ. These are slightly more bass heavy than the B80's without over doing it. What you do get is no cables and the charging case is pretty slick with a magnetic base to hold and charge the earbuds. The better deal were the B80's but these are pretty close to the B80's and totally wireless.