OT: Finally...A Worthwhile MP3 Player (really long)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I got it. It's a nice package, going for about half what most iPhone cases go for (not sure if Touch cases cost more).

I lost the little plug for the headphone port and who knows how long I will have the plug for the dock connector port. A co-worker has a similar case and he said that he did accumulate a lot of lint when he kept his iPhone in his pocket. So people at the Apple Store had to try to get that lint out.

They maybe should have attach these plugs to the case so you wouldn't lose them. But then they probably would tear away.

I didn't do such a great job of applying the screen shield. There are several bubbles but I don't notice them unless I hold it at a certain angle. But supposedly, I can just take the shield off and then clean off the lint (with scotch tape) and then re-apply the shield. And I have an extra one which is included in the package.

For the price, I'm happy with it.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fsquid wrote:yea, I don't need a fancy leather one, just something to protect from human oils!
I got the Invisashield from Zagg.com and I'm not all that impressed. It's a pain in the ass to get on and even though my application was perfect, the screen gets degraded a bit with the shield on. I'll leave it on and see how it goes (only been 24 hours so it may still get better because of the drying needed).

BTW...you probably don't need screen protection anyway.

http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.4398

I also picked up this case:

http://www.jetmall.net/index.asp?PageAc ... ProdID=470

It is absolutely fantastic. I definitely recommend it...especially since it only took two days for me to get it. It's small and protects the player well.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

That case looks queer to me, but I'd rather protect the sucker than look cool. Plus, I'm married with a kid, so it doesn't matter.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

wco81 wrote:I got it. It's a nice package, going for about half what most iPhone cases go for (not sure if Touch cases cost more).

I lost the little plug for the headphone port and who knows how long I will have the plug for the dock connector port. A co-worker has a similar case and he said that he did accumulate a lot of lint when he kept his iPhone in his pocket. So people at the Apple Store had to try to get that lint out.

They maybe should have attach these plugs to the case so you wouldn't lose them. But then they probably would tear away.

I didn't do such a great job of applying the screen shield. There are several bubbles but I don't notice them unless I hold it at a certain angle. But supposedly, I can just take the shield off and then clean off the lint (with scotch tape) and then re-apply the shield. And I have an extra one which is included in the package.

Thanx, I went ahead and ordered one. Seems like all reviews I've read have been positive. Can't beat the price.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

wco81 wrote:I got it. It's a nice package, going for about half what most iPhone cases go for (not sure if Touch cases cost more).

I got mine on monday.

I really like it, specially for the price. Plus they include 2 screen protectors. Great deal. Great quality product.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Yeah I like mine too, although I've already lost the little plug for the headphone jack and will probably lose the one for the dock connector eventually.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

More on the Mp3 tip...still love the Cowon. Now I've even upgraded the earbuds.

Sennheiser IE6...absolutely incredible. The list price, 249.99 is a little steep, but they can be had for under 175 online (jr.com is where I got mine). They are ridiculous. I had Sennheiser CX300s for the longest time because they are pretty much the only buds that could make an ipod sound decent. They are a little shrilly, if you know what I mean when you couple them with a decent sounding mp3 player. So I had to look for an upgrade.

The Sennheiser CX500's were one option...but apparently there wasn't that BIG of a sound difference over the 300s. So that's why i went a little bigger. I figure, if the ie6s last me the 4 years the CX300s did, I'll be happy with my investment. So if you're looking for a really nice set of buds that are extrememly comfortable and sound outstanding, Sennheiser IE6.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

$175 for earbuds, might need to be shot. I did get the 300s based on your recommendation and I love them so far. Have had them a week.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fsquid wrote:$175 for earbuds, might need to be shot. I did get the 300s based on your recommendation and I love them so far. Have had them a week.
The 300s are definitely a GREAT deal at ~30 bucks on Amazon. By far the best budget buds out there. No doubt about it.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

that is exactly where I got them from

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

wco81 wrote:Yeah I like mine too, although I've already lost the little plug for the headphone jack and will probably lose the one for the dock connector eventually.
Mine only came with the dock connector which I don't remember where I put it. :lol:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Guess you should have waited Squid:

http://www.techradar.com/news/audio/por ... s&attr=all

Upgraded CX300's coming soon! LOL.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

If you always waited to get something, you'd never get it.

ProvoAnC
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ProvoAnC »

Ok...I already admit I didn't read all 11 pages...it wouldn't matter anyways since its all over my head.

I'm sick of using CD's in my car and would like a MP3 player. I don't really want an ipod since I don't find the anus of a man too attractive... ;)

Main use would be for the car. I don't listen to anything but the sound of hard work when I work out :)

I don't care about pics/video....it'd be a nicety as far as I'm concerned, but not necessary.

4G and above.

I also would need it to be able to accept a FM transmitter or similar device so I can play it through my stereo.

I like the Cowon offerings, but can't tell if it will take a FM xmitter....

Any suggestions?
I have a new gamertag Provo 4569

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Provo...if you're just using the thing in the car, sound quality is not really that important, especially if you're going over and FM transmitter. You can get damn near ANY mp3 player and it will work fine with something like this:

http://us.kensington.com/html/11677.html

There are plenty of universal mp3 FM Transmitters that just plug right into the headphone port of the player.

If you are EVER gonna listen through headphones, then obviously SQ is a little more important. In that case, I'd definitely go Cowon.

These are outstanding players...and you can just pick the size you want.

http://www.jetmall.net/index.asp?PageAc ... tegory=101

I've never actually listened to this one, but it's even cheaper. I'm sure it will sound fine since I have YET to listen to a subpar Cowon player.

http://www.jetmall.net/index.asp?PageAc ... ProdID=428

ProvoAnC
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ProvoAnC »

Thanks dude! Cowon it is
I have a new gamertag Provo 4569

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

My Ipod Touch has passed away...

2 days after the 30 day warranty period with RadioShack.

Somehow, my girl is totally besides herself. She really is pissed at me.

I didn't do s*** to the damn thing. It crapped out after charging it in one of my PS3's USB ports.

The thing wont turn on, and no computer will recognized it. It plain died.

I called Apple and they gave me a couple of #'s of service centers but all they'll do is recive it and send it back to Apple for an exchange.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Smokin' deal on 2 GB Creative Zen V Plus MP3 player: Green color is $19.99 in honor of St. Patrick's Day:

http://us.creative.com/products/product ... duct=16774

I have the 4 GB version, and it's a very solid Flash-memory player. Small, easy to operate, drag-and-drop in Windows. Stock headphones aren't great, but SkullCandy's are only $12 at Staples and sound a hell of a lot better.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Picked up a new Zune HD to see if it could compete with my Cowon S9. Whoa...TOTALLY unexpected. It's actually really damn good. It does everything the S9 does, but adds Wifi, Music Sharing, Implementation with Xbox Live, Browser and an absolutely brilliant User Interface. It blows anything Apple has done out of the water. F Cover Flow...this is how it should be done.

Seriously, these players are legit. OLED Screen like the S9, waaaay better than the Apple offerings. The lack of Apps will definitely turn people off, but I wanted it for the sharing features and the music/video playback. It definitely fits that bill. If you're a HD video fan, you can always pick up the dock and play HD video downloaded on your Zune on your tv. Pretty damn impressive piece of hardware.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Picked up a new Zune HD to see if it could compete with my Cowon S9. Whoa...TOTALLY unexpected. It's actually really damn good. It does everything the S9 does, but adds Wifi, Music Sharing, Implementation with Xbox Live, Browser and an absolutely brilliant User Interface. It blows anything Apple has done out of the water. F Cover Flow...this is how it should be done.

Seriously, these players are legit. OLED Screen like the S9, waaaay better than the Apple offerings. The lack of Apps will definitely turn people off, but I wanted it for the sharing features and the music/video playback. It definitely fits that bill. If you're a HD video fan, you can always pick up the dock and play HD video downloaded on your Zune on your tv. Pretty damn impressive piece of hardware.
What are the Zune HD's running, db? Some punk stole my little iPod nano a few weeks ago, outta my truck, and I need a new one. Was seriously considering the iTouch, but you've intrigued me here.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

16gb - 220
32gb - 290

If Apps aren't of interest, then definitely go with one of these over the Apple equivalent. Seriously. But if you like Apps, then definitely go Apple. :)

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

dbdynsty25 wrote:16gb - 220
32gb - 290

If Apps aren't of interest, then definitely go with one of these over the Apple equivalent. Seriously. But if you like Apps, then definitely go Apple. :)
That's a much better price point than the touch, so I will definitely be giving the Zune a much closer look. Thanks.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

db, have you tried the hd radio receiver with it? If so how is it?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

vader29 wrote:db, have you tried the hd radio receiver with it? If so how is it?
No, I haven't. Not really interested in that, but some people love it. The reviews on that part of the device have been good.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Teal wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:16gb - 220
32gb - 290

That's a much better price point than the touch, so I will definitely be giving the Zune a much closer look. Thanks.
The 32gb isn't THAT much better, but getting 16gb on the Zune for 20 bucks more than the 8gb Touch...yeah, that's a hell of a deal if you don't need the space.

I actually just picked up a "new" Nano 16gb for my car (eclipse nav unit w/ the adapter). Good thing I returned the 16gb last gen Nano that I bought for 200, 2 months ago! Gotta love 90 day return policies at Target. Saved 20 bucks and got a better unit!