OT: Metal Gear Solid 4

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Naples39 wrote:Maybe I need to try MGS3 sometime. MGS2 was such a massive disappointment after the truly great MGS1 I haven't touched the series since.
I loved MGS3 - I thought it was a perfect balance of gameplay and story. Plus I loved the jungle setting and the boss battles were awesome - I don't know how it'd look on a HDTV but I'd still say its worth picking up.

Scoop,

Thanks for the impressions. From what I've read this game ties up every loose end in the MGS story/cannon so despite my reservations about the insanely long cut-scenes (apparently the last half of the game is 80% cut-scenes, 20% gameplay) I'll probably pick it up some time in the future....man I'm a sucker.....

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Macca00 wrote:
I'll probably pick it up some time in the future....man I'm a sucker.....
You arent a sucker...youre a gamer. :D ...

I wasnt going to get this either until I started hearing some great reviews from you guys but I couldnt help myself when I saw it sitting there.
ScoopBrady wrote:
That being said I am pretty darn blown away by MGS4 so far. The graphics are gorgeous, the controls are solid (pun intended :wink: ), and the story (so far) is interesting. I've played for a couple of hours and while there are definitely cutscenes, and lengthy ones at that, they are so well done that I find myself enjoying them more than I thought I would. Being a player of JRPG's cutscenes don't really bother me though.
Scoop Im having the same experience as you are.

Once I got used to the controls of the game and the controller itself the game started to become alot of fun.
The cutscenes are there but so far they have only added to the atmosphere of the gameplay.
Great graphics.

2-3 hours in and so far so good 8)

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Production values are off the charts... controls I could probably get used to... camo suit is a hoot... but the cutscenes where people talk to eachother... OH GAWD they are so boring. I do not have the patience for this sort of stuff anymore. Not for me.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I just got a PS3 this weekend (yeah, I'm a little slow) and picked this up, and I have to say that it's pretty damned fun. I haven't quite figured out how I'm supposed to look around and see who's going to spot me, and I end up 'run n' gunning' a lot, which seems like I probably suck at the game...since I think it's a stealth game right? :D

I played MGS2 a tiny bit...a few levels, maybe. Not sure what made me buy this, but I went on the "new system" spending spree as far as games go, which at least was offset by the freebie system. I was completely blown away by the beginning of the game, and then an hour or so later ran into one of those "man will this guy ever shut up" cut scenes with an arms dealer. I swear he said the same thing about three different times. I thought it would never end, yet didn't want to skip it for fear of missing something critical. I should have skipped it.

I don't know...I actually like the cut scenes, even if they're long, if they serve a purpose. So far, most of them have had a point, but if I see many more like the one I just saw yesterday with the guy blathering on for about 10 minutes, it may wear a bit thin.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I usually hate the MGS games but for now I am enjoying it. I'm not very good at it and like Terry tend to find myself in fire fights more then I should. The cut scenes are a bit on the long side at time, like with the Gun dealer I think that could have been cut in half.

Overall thought a very cinematic experience which is what I think the game is striving for.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

I am loving this game. I check the clock and still wonder how the hours could go by so quickly. So far so good guys. :D

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Guys, do not forget to make use of your MKII to scout ahead and allow yourself to find the ideal path. The MKII has a little attack and can also use stealth camo. It is fun to whiz through a firefight and watch the guys freak out about it too. :lol:

I am about 3-and-a-half hours in now and I am really digging it. That arms dealer cutscene was long but it explains a lot about the situation and his service is a big part of the game.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

http://kotaku.com/5017036/battlefield-b ... oplay=true

I'm not sure what funnier, the video or the MGS fanboys that are offended by it in the comments.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Finally getting round to this one (it's been sitting on my shelf for, literally, months) and I'm kicking myself for not playing it earlier. I'm at the start of Act III and am loving it! I really like the whole Drebin Points system so if you want to start a firefight you can - and not have to worry about conserving ammo or anything like that.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

What happened to Tsunami, who started this thread in 2005?

He was a big Yankees loyalist.

Would be interesting what he thought of the Yankees these days.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Finished the game today and absolutely LOVED IT! Yes, tons of cut-scenes but I didn't mind them nearly as much as I thought I would - in fact, as a fan of the series (despite MGS 2) I didn't even notice the length of the cinematics - especially at the end of the game when they combined split-screen gameplay with story.

The final scenes are just epic and the ending, though a little Return of the King-like, was fulfilling.

As for the gameplay itself - I loved it, they finally fixed the shooting mechanics so that if you did have to resort to gunplay it was immensely satisfying.

I've already started through it a second time and I feel a little silly for not playing it for so long!

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Macca00 wrote:Finished the game today and absolutely LOVED IT! Yes, tons of cut-scenes but I didn't mind them nearly as much as I thought I would - in fact, as a fan of the series (despite MGS 2) I didn't even notice the length of the cinematics - especially at the end of the game when they combined split-screen gameplay with story.

The final scenes are just epic and the ending, though a little Return of the King-like, was fulfilling.

As for the gameplay itself - I loved it, they finally fixed the shooting mechanics so that if you did have to resort to gunplay it was immensely satisfying.

I've already started through it a second time and I feel a little silly for not playing it for so long!
I just picked this game up last week and I'm not really sure what took me so long. The production value is fantastic and I really like figuring out how to sneak around without getting spotted. Only a couple of hours in, so I still have to get comfortable with how to hold guys up, etc...

Waddupcouzin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Waddupcouzin »

Weird thing is, I've had this game for over 6 months and never played the solo campaign mode until last week! This game is serious! I am really sorry that I waited so long to play the game, but I am having a blast. The cutscenes are a bit on the long side, but enjoyable nonetheless.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

after viewing this video review, had to bump this thread. This person's reviews are gems (mainly for his humor) : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Seja4yLH-qk

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I had the chance to buy the game yesterday for $15 part of the Amazon.com BF deals. I still passed. The two things I still have not done on a PS3 is watch a BR movie and play MGS4 (no interest in either).

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

is it me, or is the entire plot of the Metal Gear Solid franchise similar to an inside joke which i am not privy to ?

: )

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

vinny-b wrote:is it me, or is the entire plot of the Metal Gear Solid franchise similar to an inside joke which i'm not privy to ??
:)

It's so convoluted it goes beyond bordering on lunacy right into bat-s*** crazy territory. It's a shame because the game 'itself' is pretty good but it seems like you have 15 minutes of gameplay for every 30 minutes of cut-scenes (as good as they look).

Loved the vid you posted;
"When I think of stealth I think of the M60"

lol

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

macca: true :) If nothing else may pick it up in the future for the graphics. That is some eye candy

far as the review (by Classic Game Room), all of his reviews are this way : ) His collection of video reviews date back to the Atari 2600 and every console thereafter. He is funny as helll. Below is his database (approx 800 titles):

http://www.classicgameroom.net/