Analogy between 2006 hockey games and 2005 soccer games

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Analogy between 2006 hockey games and 2005 soccer games

Post by pk500 »

Boys:

I was sipping coffee early this morning and browsing the Web, thinking about how much better of a hockey game NHL 2K6 is than NHL 06. And then a Eureka moment hit me when I struggled for a comparison or analogy between the two.

It's easy to make an analogy between the 2006 hockey games and the 2005 soccer games.

<b>NHL 2K6 is Winning Eleven 8.</b> Now, before the cries of blasphemy wail, I'm not putting NHL 2K6 in the same rare air was WE 8 yet. But it is a much better sim of hockey than NHL 06, and the developers clearly put an emphasis on realism over flash. It's a realistic, challenging game that rewards you for long-term effort on scaling the steep learning curve and playing fundamental hockey. All common traits with WE.

<b>NHL 06 is FIFA 2005.</b> Like FIFA 2005, NHL 06 is improved over its predecessor in the series. It's clear that EA tried to inject more realism in both games. Both games have tons of pizzazz, gimmicky control features and fun, loose gameplay. But neither are anywhere near realistic representations of their chosen sports. They're both easy to pick and play and have a very shallow learning curve.

So if you're the kind of gamer that likes WE 8, you'll dig NHL 2K6. If you're the kind of gamer that likes FIFA 2005, you'll dig NHL 06.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

As stated in the NHL 06 Impressions thread:

----------------------------
Wow...fun game, but if I see another shot hit the goalies pads and bounce out to center ice, I'm going to scream. What did they say about realistic puck physics? I hope they said they don't exist because every guy has a cannon and every bounce is exaggerated. I'm sticking with 2k6...but I'll probably end keeping '06 just for a change of pace and so I can remember what an awesome game 2k6 is.

I can see that there is potential...it's far closer to 2004 (which had the cannon shots and the unrealistic rebounds as well) than 2005, which is good, but it's still not in the same league as 2k6.
----------------------------

So basically I agree...the cannon shots equal the lasers in Fifa, lol. Both are trying to be realistic without sacraficing fun. But I'm more into it because of the sim aspects, so I always side with the trusty PES/WE and the NHL 2k series (except for '04).

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I'm sorry pk but I have to do this.

I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Analogy between 2006 hockey games and 2005 soccer games

Post by tjung0831 »

pk500 wrote:Boys:

I was sipping coffee early this morning and browsing the Web, thinking about how much better of a hockey game NHL 2K6 is than NHL 06. And then a Eureka moment hit me when I struggled for a comparison or analogy between the two.

It's easy to make an analogy between the 2006 hockey games and the 2005 soccer games.

<b>NHL 2K6 is Winning Eleven 8.</b> Now, before the cries of blasphemy wail, I'm not putting NHL 2K6 in the same rare air was WE 8 yet. But it is a much better sim of hockey than NHL 06, and the developers clearly put an emphasis on realism over flash. It's a realistic, challenging game that rewards you for long-term effort on scaling the steep learning curve and playing fundamental hockey. All common traits with WE.

<b>NHL 06 is FIFA 2005.</b> Like FIFA 2005, NHL 06 is improved over its predecessor in the series. It's clear that EA tried to inject more realism in both games. Both games have tons of pizzazz, gimmicky control features and fun, loose gameplay. But neither are anywhere near realistic representations of their chosen sports. They're both easy to pick and play and have a very shallow learning curve.

So if you're the kind of gamer that likes WE 8, you'll dig NHL 2K6. If you're the kind of gamer that likes FIFA 2005, you'll dig NHL 06.

Take care,
PK
Your analogy is a little flawed because I love WE8 and I dig NHL06. I'm as huge a hockey fan as there is on this board but because I like the style of NHL06 that doesn't make me any less a "hockey afficianado" as you like to put it in another post. Don't forget 2K5 was my hockey game of choice and I liked that game too, not to mention that I like Rivals and NHL Hitz Pro. I still believe that Hitz Pro is one of the finest hockey games ever.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

ScoopBrady wrote:I'm sorry pk but I have to do this.

You have to do what...red x? I don't get it? :lol:

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
ScoopBrady wrote:I'm sorry pk but I have to do this.

You have to do what...red x? I don't get it? :lol:
haha

At least it's better than the typical, "NHL06 is like getting a handjob on the first date while NHL 2K6 is the girl that you marry...AND she let's you score from behind!"

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

ROTFL

hoserthehorrible
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by hoserthehorrible »

EA has made an obvious attempt the last few years to add more realism in their sports games. It's obvious they still make fun a priority but they have made an attempt to put realism in the games in recent years. EA has done a real good job of making MVP and Madden very fun and yet very realistic. They tried to do the same with NHL and FIFA and NBA but didn't quite accomplish the same things as they did with MVP and Madden.

The problem with the NHL2K series is that it suffers from too many "what the hell just happened" glitches and has had some scoring anomolies in the past (S move, one timers, etc). The fundamental gameplay has always been very solid however there's been a history of weird problems and glitches that plague this series. This year it's the phantom goal through the back of the net, faceoff issues, penalty shot problems, and game freezes. These things don't happen all the time but frequent enough that you ask yourself... what the hell were they thinking? If the NHL2K producers can ever figure out how to QA their product better, and release a game without these foolish problems, then it'll be a great game and can start approaching the lofty heights of a WE8 or MVP title.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

tjung0831 wrote:Your analogy is a little flawed because I love WE8 and I dig NHL06. I'm as huge a hockey fan as there is on this board but because I like the style of NHL06 that doesn't make me any less a "hockey afficianado" as you like to put it in another post. Don't forget 2K5 was my hockey game of choice and I liked that game too, not to mention that I like Rivals and NHL Hitz Pro. I still believe that Hitz Pro is one of the finest hockey games ever.
Tim:

Liking NHL 06 doesn't make you any less of a hockey fan than anyone else because it's very possible that you have different desires from virtual hockey than from real hockey.

But if you say NHL 06 is more of a hockey sim than NHL 2K6, then, yes, I have to wonder about what you consider to be realistic hockey.

No one is denying that NHL 06 is fun if you don't want the most realistic new game of hockey on the market. But if you want the most "simmy" of the two new games, then NHL 2K6 is clearly the choice.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

[edited]

Nothing to see here, please move along...

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

pk500 wrote:
tjung0831 wrote:Your analogy is a little flawed because I love WE8 and I dig NHL06. I'm as huge a hockey fan as there is on this board but because I like the style of NHL06 that doesn't make me any less a "hockey afficianado" as you like to put it in another post. Don't forget 2K5 was my hockey game of choice and I liked that game too, not to mention that I like Rivals and NHL Hitz Pro. I still believe that Hitz Pro is one of the finest hockey games ever.
Tim:

Liking NHL 06 doesn't make you any less of a hockey fan than anyone else because it's very possible that you have different desires from virtual hockey than from real hockey.

But if you say NHL 06 is more of a hockey sim than NHL 2K6, then, yes, I have to wonder about what you consider to be realistic hockey.

No one is denying that NHL 06 is fun if you don't want the most realistic new game of hockey on the market. But if you want the most "simmy" of the two new games, then NHL 2K6 is clearly the choice.

Take care,
PK
I Never said 06 was more of a sim than 2K6. I like 06 because I wanted something different this year and so far it's delivered what I like best these days which is fun game play.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

hoserthehorrible
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

PK, I would agree with that IF the NHL2K series didn't have a series of glitches. The potential to be a great simulation of hockey is definitely there, however it doesn't measure up yet.

I just don't see how the game can be taken as a great simulation of hockey when goals can be scored through the back of the net, when players completely screw up penalty shots and never even get close to getting a shot off, when players lose their minds and can't bring themselves to the faceoff circle. Those are some of this year's issues. Last year it was the unrealistic one timer fest, S move goals, and other unrealistic problems.

Like I said earlier, if the NHL2K producers can eliminate the bizarre glitches then it'll be a great simulation of hockey. Right now, it's got the potential to be but doesn't measure up yet.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Let's do a different comparison

NHL 2K6 is like

Refined, sophisticated, yet has a wild side - an aquired taste for those who really appreciate a woman.

NHL 06 is like

Fast, easy and caters to the masses.

:wink:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Man that other chick is HOT as hell (not Paris). Who is that...she doesn't look familiar.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

hoserthehorrible wrote:
PK, I would agree with that IF the NHL2K series didn't have a series of glitches. The potential to be a great simulation of hockey is definitely there, however it doesn't measure up yet.

I just don't see how the game can be taken as a great simulation of hockey when goals can be scored through the back of the net, when players completely screw up penalty shots and never even get close to getting a shot off, when players lose their minds and can't bring themselves to the faceoff circle. Those are some of this year's issues. Last year it was the unrealistic one timer fest, S move goals, and other unrealistic problems.

Like I said earlier, if the NHL2K producers can eliminate the bizarre glitches then it'll be a great simulation of hockey. Right now, it's got the potential to be but doesn't measure up yet.
This "sim" aspect of takes a step back when a guy over at 2k sports posted how he scored 4 goals in a game with Tie Domi. I'm not even sure that would happen on NHL 06!!
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

tjung0831 wrote:I Never said 06 was more of a sim than 2K6. I like 06 because I wanted something different this year and so far it's delivered what I like best these days which is fun game play.
That's cool! I like NHL 2K6 because I wanted the most realistic game, and it's delivering.

Take care,
PK

hoserthehorrible
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

NHl2K6 refined? And beautiful? Not even close.

NHL 06 is more like Ginger while NHL2K6 is more like Mary Anne. NHL 06 is sexy and beautiful and marketed very well although a little bit shallow. NHL2K6 has got a great heart, and is fundamentally very nice looking, but it has a long way to go and needs to go to finishing school.

The Ginger vs Mary Anne debate has gone on a long time and both are good answers. It all depends on what you're looking for.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

hoserthehorrible wrote:The Ginger vs Mary Anne debate has gone on a long time and both are good answers. It all depends on what you're looking for.
I'll take the one that doesn't allow rebounds off of the goalies pads to go out to center ice and beyond.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Man that other chick is HOT as hell (not Paris). Who is that...she doesn't look familiar.

Dana Delaney of China Beach fame.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

hoserthehorrible wrote:NHl2K6 refined? And beautiful? Not even close.
I never said beautiful there skippy.

hoserthehorrible
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

bdoughty wrote:
Pictures say a 1,000 words... skippy!

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

hoserthehorrible wrote:EA has made an obvious attempt the last few years to add more realism in their sports games. It's obvious they still make fun a priority but they have made an attempt to put realism in the games in recent years.
Regarding the realism vs. "fun" debate, I think we need webdanzer to post his "webdanzer's spin" article titled "Will sim for fun" from the old SR Highhorse. Web, you still have that?

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

hoserthehorrible wrote:
bdoughty wrote:
Pictures say a 1,000 words... skippy!
You just don't grasp the Dana Delaney connection. AND THATS OKAY!

tsunami
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by tsunami »

bdoughty wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Man that other chick is HOT as hell (not Paris). Who is that...she doesn't look familiar.

That has got to be an old picture, because I believe she is alot older and alot bigger now.

By the way, she was in a terrible movie called "Exit to Eden" with Dan Akroyd and Rosie O'oDonnell of all people where she ran some women's fetish spa. She actually did full-frontal nudity in that movie too. It was one of those scenes where you are caught completely off guard because you can't believe it actually happened...one because of the actress involved, two because of the movie, and three because it served no real purpose at all.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

tsunami wrote:
bdoughty wrote:

That has got to be an old picture, because I believe she is alot older and alot bigger now.

By the way, she was in a terrible movie called "Exit to Eden" with Dan Akroyd and Rosie O'oDonnell of all people where she ran some women's fetish spa. She actually did full-frontal nudity in that movie too. It was one of those scenes where you are caught completely off guard because you can't believe it actually happened...one because of the actress involved, two because of the movie, and three because it served no real purpose at all.
Well duh it is an old picture but she is still a MILF. Unfortuantely "Exit to Eden" had a tiny spoiler of the wood, so to speak. Rosie O'Donnel in a S/M outfit. Yikes.

Wood out of the shed

Wood back in the shed
Last edited by bdoughty on Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.