NHL 2K6 Impressions

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

i found the CPU playing defense too tight making it hard for em to set up a play, maybe its just me and i have not past the learning curve of SIM level but anyways i toned down it down the defnese a bit and now the only real issue i have is penalties i get call for 8.9.10 a game while the CPU gets like 2-3, other then that i'd say EA offically lost its NHL game crown.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Wrekcut1 wrote:Diablo,

Sorry, you were correct. They moved it to the right thumbstick, but you have to hold downt the left trigger when doing it and release the left trigger to shoot the puck.

Thanks for the help.
No problem...I thought I was dillusional there for a second :)

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

kicko wrote:..other then that i'd say EA offically lost its NHL game crown.
When did it ever have it?

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

NHL 94 was one hell of a hockey game. You asked :)

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

Slumberland wrote:
kicko wrote:..other then that i'd say EA offically lost its NHL game crown.
When did it ever have it?
Are you kidding EA held the title just from popularity since NHL on the gensis in 91-92, and well...like the NHL ...hockey games have never been as popular as other sports, so just because MAdden was or is a great football game , players figure EA must make a good hockey game too, well you can guess again. Its funny the icon passing to me is like the madden cone, if i play NHL06 it feels funny without it

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Didn't the old Faceoff series on the PS1 have icon passing in one of it's early years?

Looking forward to playing this game, but just not ready for hockey yet.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

game is weak. same goes for the EA offering.

ugh.

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

anyone esle having too many user penalities and hardly any CPU?

wabash97
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by wabash97 »

This came up on 2khockey.net, and it is something I've noticed as well.

The CPU offense makes terrible decisions when it comes to shooting the puck. They will score goals off rebounds and occasional lapses in defensive positioning, but I routinely see them pass up 2-on-1 opportunities for passes back to the point or half boards; I routinely see them botch - in fact I can't think of a time they've succeeded - breakaways; and they're easy to stop in many front-of-net chances because they spend time winding up for a slapshot.

The end result is that after a few days, I don't feel at all threatened by the CPU offense. I do make mistakes, and they score. But largely, even on Hall of Famer, they aren't taking good shots or taking advantage of their own solid positioning.

Everything thing else in the game is very good. It portrays the physical nature of the game - with the new animations - better than previous years. Defense is better. Goalies are better. Rebounds and positioning are great.

But - and maybe I just hit a streak for a few games - the offense feels lacking, even with CPU def. and off. sliders maxed.

I'm playing mostly on All-Star "Sim," but tried HOF "Sim" and didn't see much difference.

Anybody else seeing this?

B

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Why hasn't anyone commented on the penalties? On sim sliders, I get called for every little hook or trip......stuff that you could usually get away with. It also makes using the right stick on D almost impossible because everything is a penalty. Also, I dont see the AI get called nearly as much.
Should I just lower my penalty sliders or am I playing too aggresive? Everybody is saying how the game plays great out of the box, but my penalties are way out of control. Is it me?

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

no dude that my point....i get called for everthing, i learned to only use right stick when it really needed because it so risky, but the CPU needs moretime in the box, i trying to fix this but no luck

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I haven't had any problems with the penalty calling. Some games it's lopsided, but it goes both ways. I did have to turn down intereference quite a bit... I was seeing an insane amount of interference penalties.

I had to restart my season to get the game to remember that I wanted momentum set to off. No big deal, I'd only played a few games, and I wanted to try out Hall of Fame difficulty anyway. I enjoyed it, lost 4-3, and I really had to earn those three goals.

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

how many power plays you getting? what setting are you using? i ben just using pro for now and almost default SIM

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Slumberland wrote:I haven't had any problems with the penalty calling. Some games it's lopsided, but it goes both ways. I did have to turn down intereference quite a bit... I was seeing an insane amount of interference penalties.
I think that's by design because if the NHL refs call the game the way it's supposed to with the supposed crackdown on neutral-zone clutching and grabbing, we're going to see an avalanche of interference penalties for the first month of the season.

Now whether the refs actually call the game that way, we'll see.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

wabash97
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by wabash97 »

Seems also like there's too many penalties taken (or called) when you (or the CPU) is killing. I see sometimes three or four two-man advantages a game. Same thing happened last year. CPU teammates hack and hold and interfere at the same rate on the PK as 5-on-5.

B

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

well i was playing on pro as i get my learning curve back and i decided to step it up to all-pro, well as far as penalties it was almost even, me having 2-4 more min., that was something i had never seen on pro before, not sure if that has anything to do with it but it a thought.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I scored with 4.9 seconds left in regulation to eventually force my first shootout. What a yawnfest that was. I can understand my own struggles, but the CPU (NJ) went scoreless and I think we were on our 13th shooter! I barely even had to move my goalie to stop them.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Damn, Sigh.

I just had the phantom goal happen what a bummer. This is typical, i was having probably the best game so far was 5-0 down and was making a come back 5-3, 4 mins left and it happened my god.
If we all seen this within 1 to 15 games how does this slip thru ? Same with the face off, Very annoying and its crap like this and lack of innovation throughout any genre is going to drive the industry to the ET Atari days. Maybe not as drastic but similar, the market is saturated with mindless drivle and it costs millions to make such crap it cant go on.
Sorry for straying off topic there but i feel this game is a microcosm of the industry in 1 little green dvd box.

But damn 2k6 is incredible at times. Sigh...

devilsjaw
Mario Mendoza

Post by devilsjaw »

According to one of the mods over at the 2K forums, if you don't skip through the cut scenes before the faceoff, you won't see the bug. Haven't confirmed this yet, just passing the word along. :?

Jason
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Jason »

Does anyone know if these gameplay bugs are in the PS2 version too?
www.SportsGamingNation.com

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

Jason wrote:Does anyone know if these gameplay bugs are in the PS2 version too?
when 2ksports give the bugs out it mostly all round creepy crawlers for everybody. unless in an xobox using custom soundtracks or something the ps2 can't do.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah the menu system this year is a disaster compared to last year. Just to save the Franchise you have to go three steps in.

As for the game itself...I'm still impressed as hell. But...and there is a but...the bugs are annoying. I still have yet to see the phantom goal but I did see the guy not taking the faceoff, which resulted in a PP goal for the CPU. A one timer off the faceoff to tie the game at one in the second period...I was pissed. I went on to win 4-2 in one of the best games I've ever played...it was an awesome experience. The game gets better and better every day.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

the game does have some annoying bugs....the faceoff problem, etc.
and it does also have some things that aren't so great: lack of penalties called on the AI, lack of hitting by the AI (not defense, but hitting - I always double the AI's hit total without really trying), the way the AI will have a great scoring opportunity and then turn around and pass to the point, the bland, repetetive and goofy play by play.

All these things basically go away when you play online, but offline it is
no WE 8...that's for sure.

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

JackB1 wrote:the game does have some annoying bugs....the faceoff problem, etc.
and it does also have some things that aren't so great: lack of penalties called on the AI, lack of hitting by the AI (not defense, but hitting - I always double the AI's hit total without really trying), the way the AI will have a great scoring opportunity and then turn around and pass to the point, the bland, repetetive and goofy play by play.

All these things basically go away when you play online, but offline it is
no WE 8...that's for sure.
In roughly 20 games, I still haven't experienced the "phantom goal", and the faceoff problem. I did have the game freeze once when saving my franchise.

I'm not seeing the lack of penalties either. Through 5 franchise games, I've had 23 power plays. Also, I don't use the "check" button that often, so my checking numbers are similar to what the CPU puts up. I firmly believe that if you abuse the checking button, you will destroy the CPU in that category.

The play by play is questionable at times. My game against Pittsburgh went to a shootout. Recchi came in on Esche, and Esche poke-checked it away..."Great defensive poke-check by Kapanen"....WTF? :lol:

EDIT: 1000th post.... :D