I'm selling Madden

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

I'm selling Madden

Post by pk500 »

I can't believe I'm doing this, but I'm selling Madden 06 on eBay. The "giveaway glitch" has made the game unplayable for me because I use the Coach Cam on offense and defense EVERY play to remind me of coverage responsibilities, receiver patterns, calling audibles, etc.

It's just no fun knowing whether the play is going to be a run or pass in two-back sets by the CPU. Yes, I still have to stop the play. But as spooky157 said about this glitch at OS, it's like a baseball game telling you a fastball is coming before the pitch. You may not know the location, but you're not going to be late on the swing.

It really sucks because I was enjoying Madden, with a few exceptions. The lack of punt returns by either side is a huge flaw that I could overlook. But the "giveaway glitch" is not.

Looks like I'll repurchase NCAA 06 -- which I sold too quickly to fund the purchase of Madden -- and maybe look into the Action Replay-NFL 2K5 combo to fill the NFL fix, or just go with NCAA only.

NCAA 06 has its share of flaws, but it's fun, especially with Jistic's sliders, and has WAY more atmosphere than Madden 06. Plus there's no game-ruining glitch, at least no one has found one yet.

Bummer on Madden.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

I found a glitch in NCAA which is the long bomb glitch. I can't stop it and thus I have stopped playing NCAA.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Zlax45 wrote:I found a glitch in NCAA which is the long bomb glitch. I can't stop it and thus I have stopped playing NCAA.
I didn't have nearly the trouble stopping the bomb that many did in NCAA, at least not on a regular basis. I would get torched a game or two, but that's college football. It's more wide open, and there are more big plays.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

spooky157
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by spooky157 »

I'm considering selling Madden too. It's just not fun knowing about this glitch. I love videogame message boards but I hate them the same time.

What amazes me is the number of people on OS portraying this "glitch" as some sort of simulation of the real NFL, claiming that real NFL defenses would actually know whether an offense was running or passing based on scouting and watching film. Playcalling in the NFL is like a chess match and that's just not the case in Madden anymore. It's only about executing the plays now. That's not football to me.

I'm back to 2K5. I never should've left you, baby. Let's never fight again.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I still don't know what glitch you guys are talking about...I somehow have forced myself to just skim any post that mentions it so that I don't ruin it for myself.

However, that doesn't remedy the fact that hate f'n hate the suction in the game. I just finished a game of 2k5 with the updated rosters and it was damn fun. But again, the f'n DB play is atrocious in it. So I guess I'm in a no-win situation.

Maybe I'll just have to just got NCAA as I haven't found any glaring problems with it as of yet. Time will tell on that one. LOL...f*ck video games.

I should just go back to my Battlefield 2 and PES4 on the PC...they have yet to fail me.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I still don't know what glitch you guys are talking about...I somehow have forced myself to just skim any post that mentions it so that I don't ruin it for myself.

However, that doesn't remedy the fact that hate f'n hate the suction in the game. I just finished a game of 2k5 with the updated rosters and it was damn fun. But again, the f'n DB play is atrocious in it. So I guess I'm in a no-win situation.

Maybe I'll just have to just got NCAA as I haven't found any glaring problems with it as of yet. Time will tell on that one. LOL...f*ck video games.

I should just go back to my Battlefield 2 and PES4 on the PC...they have yet to fail me.
I just played 2k5 also with the new rosters and it felt like a totally new game from what I experienced last year. I dont know if it has to do with the rosters? But then again, I was very happy with madden05 last year and probably didn't give 2k5 a fair shake so maybe that's why it feels new to me.

I never had any problems either with ncaa. Never had that long bomb glitch either. Maybe it's a online thing but offline no problem with it.

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

i refuse to know the glitch so it has not spoiled me yet but you guys ever consider the pc version? from what i get about the glitch you can tell by a graphic on screen whats coming and i might be totally wrong, but in a pc version you can just make something like that transparent. don't correct me i don't want to know but you get the idea. mods are great.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

You can still use the coach's cam and play art for all plays on offense. Depending on the playbook, the CPU uses two back sets about half the time. I check the CPU personnel and just refrain from using the coach cam on those plays. I can still use coverage audibles in two back sets, but I have to literally look away from the screen while choosing them. If I can't remember an assignment for a player, I will click the right stick to see it.

I don't like it, but it's something I can live with offline. I've gotten used to it and have seen no real dropoff in my defensive performance. I found that most of my use of the coach's cam on defense was just habitual. I can still make the same changes and most of the changes I make to coverage are in situations that I can use the coach's cam anyway. It's also forced me to take an extra few seconds in the play calling screen to memorize the assignments of more players and that has probably made me a better player overall.

I increased the punt length and accuracy for the CPU and use punt block plays for returns and have my punt returns realistic now (it doesn't necessarily *look* realistic, but the stats are good). I came *this* close to breaking one the other day, but I ran into a ref along the sideline after breaking past the initial wave of punt coverage and it threw me off balance and out of bounds. I also have a house rule of no speed bursts for the outside guys when I punt unless it appears as though no attempt to field the punt is being made.

Everyone has their own definition of "game killers" and I can certainly see why people would dump the game. I'm not far enough removed from the memory of the flaws and frustrations in 2K5 to go back to it at this point. Plus, it just doesn't make fiscal sense for me to sell Madden now. The season is still weeks away. I don't see the resale value dropping significantly any time soon.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Leebo33 wrote:You can still use the coach's cam and play art for all plays on offense. Depending on the playbook, the CPU uses two back sets about half the time. I check the CPU personnel and just refrain from using the coach cam on those plays. I can still use coverage audibles in two back sets, but I have to literally look away from the screen while choosing them. If I can't remember an assignment for a player, I will click the right stick to see it.

I don't like it, but it's something I can live with offline.
Leebo:

I'm glad you can live with all these workarounds and house rules. I can't. I simply refuse to use Band-Aids to patch the wounds of a brand-new game that costs $50.

I have lived on Coach Cams since they first became available. They help me remember assignments and patterns and also help me learn more about football. I love them and can't fathom not using them.

Plus I'm simply not the kind of person who can put a glitch out of my mind and not use it. Either I'm bothered like a gnat flying in an ear that the glitch is there, or I use the damn thing to my advantage! :)

Thankfully, NCAA doesn't have a game-killing flaw like this to me. Yeah, it's a bit loose with long passing, but good defense can stop that. And college football is a looser game than the pros.

I sold Madden for $35 this morning in a Buy It Now sale on eBay, less than eight hours after I listed it. Not bad, considering I got it on sale for $39.99. The cost to me was about the same as a rental.

Take care,
PK

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

This is why amateur internet beta testers tick me off.

1. I have no clue what the glitch is and don't want to know as I am loving madden this year for the first time in a long time.

2. I would bet 99% of the people would not even see or notice the glitch it it weren't for the internet beta testers.... These people think they help the games get better.. I would say this is a prime example of how they ruin the games for many.. another example would be the mvp lefty thingy.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

BDunn:

Have to disagree with you on this one. "Amateur Internet beta testers" apparently do a better job of playtesting and quality control than those hired by EA, yet we should heap scorn on those who find flaws, all in the hopes of eliminating them in the future?

This glitch is very real. It's also very obvious. I won't give it away, but you don't need to reprogram the computers for the Lunar Module to see it.

I enjoyed Madden, too. But now that I know of the glitch, the game is ruined. That's EA's fault, not that of "amateur Internet beta testers."

Take care,
PK

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

pk500 wrote:BDunn:

Have to disagree with you on this one. "Amateur Internet beta testers" apparently do a better job of playtesting and quality control than those hired by EA, yet we should heap scorn on those who find flaws, all in the hopes of eliminating them in the future?

This glitch is very real. It's also very obvious. I won't give it away, but you don't need to reprogram the computers for the Lunar Module to see it.

I enjoyed Madden, too. But now that I know of the glitch, the game is ruined. That's EA's fault, not that of "amateur Internet beta testers."

Take care,
PK
No doubt its real. But no one would know about it or even be effected if it were not for the internet beta testers. I don't know what the bug is but I do know it has something to do with you knowing what hte other guy is calling on offense. So, its really not even a gameplay bug... The only way you are effected by it is if you know about it.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

bdunn13 wrote:This is why amateur internet beta testers tick me off.

1. I have no clue what the glitch is and don't want to know as I am loving madden this year for the first time in a long time.

2. I would bet 99% of the people would not even see or notice the glitch it it weren't for the internet beta testers.... These people think they help the games get better.. I would say this is a prime example of how they ruin the games for many.. another example would be the mvp lefty thingy.
Apparently, this glitch has been in Madden for at least the past 3 years! Anyone still have Madden 2004 or 2005 want to try it out?

I think this problem is much much different than the lefty bug in MVP. I'm actually glad that was confirmed by other users as I was wondering why my lefties couldn't hit homeruns nearly anywhere close to the same as my righties. Since it was confirmed, I could just sell the game and move on knowing that no sliders would ever fix it. Internet testers didn't ruin MVP 2004. EA did.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

bdunn13 wrote:So, its really not even a gameplay bug... The only way you are effected by it is if you know about it.
Design flaw. Bug. It's just semantics.

I disagree. I can be effected even if I don't know about it by playing someone online that does.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I'm glad I don't read forums enough anymore to know what the glitch is.

I'm still happy as a clam with Madden.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Leebo33 wrote:I can be effected even if I don't know about it by playing someone online that does.
Precisely. And PK's right, the glitch is unbelievably simple... so simple, I couldn't figure out what it was until someone laid it out on a message board. Now, I could have gone on in ignorance, but I was playing online a bit and wanted to arm myself against any possible cheaters. I suppose EA could start a special server for online play, which you can only access after signing an affidavit that you have no knowledge of the glitch. Kidding.

The glitch isn't even really why I sent back my Gamefly rental. I just don't see much on the field in Madden that surprises or excites me when playing against the CPU. In returning to 2K5, I'm still seeing new on-field events, after having played a lot last year... unique diving catches; mid-air collisions where every inch counts and the physics really come into play; bobbled interceptions, etc.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I have a question. I haven't seen the glitch yet so I don't know exactly how it gives the play away (nor do I want to know). But I'm wondering, does the glitch appear if you use the matchup view -- the left trigger, I think, where you don't see the play overlay, just how everyone's lining up?

I could live without the defensive coach cam (or use Leebo's suggestion) but it is hard to not at least see the defensive matchups so I can know to flip a defensive call.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Using either the left or right trigger will indicate whether the CPU will run or pass.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

TCrouch wrote:I'm glad I don't read forums enough anymore to know what the glitch is.

I'm still happy as a clam with Madden.
Ditto,

But it sure seems a lot of people are going out of their way to make it known to everyone whether you want to or not. On OS I understand, here I would expect the discusion of this glitch to have it's own thread so as not to ruin it for others. I haven't looked at the Madden Impression thread in days because I know it is listed in there. I started skimming this thread just to be safe.

If I accidnetally read this glitch, the game will be ruined for me, there is no excuse for something like this as it is a game killer. Unlike others I can't go back to 2k5 because I can't live with the horrible DB AI, for the first time I am really pissed that their is no alternative in a 2K6.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Danimal wrote:On OS I understand, here I would expect the discusion of this glitch to have it's own thread so as not to ruin it for others. I haven't looked at the Madden Impression thread in days because I know it is listed in there. I started skimming this thread just to be safe.
There's only one post in the Madden impressions thread that sort of describes it, but it's not entirely specific and the text has been made invisible. It's safe to go back in the water.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Danimal wrote:If I accidnetally read this glitch, the game will be ruined for me, there is no excuse for something like this as it is a game killer.
I agree, but blame EA. Don't shoot the messengers.

Jared edited the post in the Madden thread that had the details. It was too late for me as I read it, but you are lucky not to have seen it. A separate thread here isn't a bad idea though.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

I don't know what it is either, but is it the sort of thing that could be fixed (online at least) through an Xbox patch?
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Sport73 wrote:I don't know what it is either, but is it the sort of thing that could be fixed (online at least) through an Xbox patch?
Probably, but they won't do it. Especially not with the "work with it" statement EA released. The guy practically makes it sound like a feature. MADDEN 2006 - with the new Kreskin Cam! Read the mind of opposing offensive coordinators, just like in the pros!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Sport73 wrote:I don't know what it is either, but is it the sort of thing that could be fixed (online at least) through an Xbox patch?
Yes. But EA won't do it because its biggest user base still is on the PS2. No way it would fix the Xbox version and not fix the PS2 version.

Take care,
PK

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Boy, I'm glad I've been without internet since Saturday. I haven't seen any glitch and I'm loving Madden. Should I assume that I should stay away from the Madden impressions thread now if I don't want to know the glitch?
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.