OT: Chapelle's Show apparently is over

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Chapelle's Show apparently is over

Post by Badgun »

Sadly it looks like that the Chapelle's Show is through. I personally thought it was the funniest show on tv, but the differences appear to be big enough that there won't be anymore episodes shot. How in the hell can Dave Chapelle walk away from 50 million?

http://people.aol.com/people/articles/0 ... 35,00.html

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Game. Blouses

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Damn, three of the funniest shows I've ever seen on American TV are gone in a poof, in less than a year: "Chappelle's Show," "Trailer Park Boys" (BBC America) and "The Office" (BBC America).

Bummer.

Well, I guess there's always reruns of "Seinfeld" and "All in the Family" to satisfy me, but I miss all three of the above shows. People say "Arrested Development" is good -- I need to check that out.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

How in the hell can Dave Chapelle walk away from 50 million?
I'm already rich B****!

Will definately miss the show. Anyone who can make Wayne Brady look hardcore gangsta is aces in my book.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

bdoughty wrote:
How in the hell can Dave Chapelle walk away from 50 million?
I'm already rich B****!

Will definately miss the show. Anyone who can make Wayne Brady look hardcore gangsta is aces in my book.
Yeah, that Wayne Brady bit was probably my favorite...even more so than the Rick James sketch.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

pk500 wrote:Damn, three of the funniest shows I've ever seen on American TV are gone in a poof, in less than a year: "Chappelle's Show," "Trailer Park Boys" (BBC America) and "The Office" (BBC America).

Bummer.

Well, I guess there's always reruns of "Seinfeld" and "All in the Family" to satisfy me, but I miss all three of the above shows. People say "Arrested Development" is good -- I need to check that out.

Take care,
PK
pk, Arrested Development is hilarious. I would definitely put it in the same category as Chappelle or even Seinfeld. Seinfeld is definitely in a class by itself, but Arrested Development is quite good.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Badgun wrote:pk, Arrested Development is hilarious. I would definitely put it in the same category as Chappelle or even Seinfeld. Seinfeld is definitely in a class by itself, but Arrested Development is quite good.
I second Badgun.

Took me a while to get into Chappelle, one of those "too many people think this is funny" deals. The Prince skit was one of my favorites.

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

Is he still in Africa? If I had to put my money on anything, he is smoking crack somwhere.. the man liked to talk about it too much to not want to do it.

50 million can by you alot of rock.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Sad, sad, sad, is all I want to say about it. I was on it for a while this winter/spring, and it didn't last long. It's a shame y'all won't get to see some of the stuff we did ("Gary Coleman, you're s'posed to be fightin' crime, not causin' it!" comes to mind. . . wow that sketch was funny). It must be said, though, comedy is not easy, especially when you are the one putting yourself out there and lampooning some very powerful, popular, and not necessarily un-cool people. So there were some very real stresses being dealt with there, some pretty tough things to work through.

His vanishing act really screwed Comedy Central, not to mention the production company and his partners. The timing of it was really bad, after the gigantic marketing campaign they put out to promote the combination of the new season and the 2nd season DVD release. I'm pretty sure it was the biggest campaign to date for Comedy Central, and that stuff ain't cheap.

I haven't seen the Wayne Brady ep. yet, but apparently everybody loved him, he was super cool to the crew and really loved doing the show (although i think he was a little nervous about the 'Wayne Brady's b*tch' lines). During the limbo time when we weren't sure where Dave was and whether we'd get back to shooting, we loved to throw around crazy ideas about how to go fowrard, and "Brady's Show" was a clear hit among us techies (not to mention "Charlies Murphy's Show," though that was mostly because he was always punctual and easy to work with). I don't think Neal would be into that, though. I do wonder what Neal will do now; there must be some serious friction now between them, because for all the "50 million" hype, a good chunk of that was going to Neal and others.

I can't say for sure, but I really don't think he was doing any drugs, especially anything stupid like crack or smack. I think he broke down from the stress and the overwhelming self-doubt that most people feel when they go out on a limb. That kind of money brings with it an immense amount of pressure. Mostly he seemed to just want to be in Ohio with his wife and kids. Put it this way, his bus wasn't anything like the trailers on a typical rap video. . . (cough cough).

Apparently Fox cancelled A.D. now? Maybe it will be picked up by Comedy Central? I was hearing that today, I don't know if it's true or not. If true, it's yet another insanely idiotic decision by Fox, but hey, who would expect anything less? They've got such a great track record cancelling great shows.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Apparently Fox cancelled A.D. now?
http://www.fox.com/arresteddev/
It has not been cancelled. Season premiere is Sept. 19th.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

He has revealed that he is a WoW player. I can only assume that he's become addicted and is unable to leave his PC. Not that I know anything about this sort of thing :oops:
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

http://www.chappelletheory.com/index.html

Very interesting read on what brought on the end of Chappelle's show.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

Really? What I read of it seemed pretty ridiculous.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Interesting read. Sounds crazy but I'd be willing to believe that some of it is possible/true.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

TheHiddenTrack
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by TheHiddenTrack »

No way is that stuff true. All of those people getting together to shut down a comedy show on comedy central?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Interesting read, but was the retired public relations executive who wrote this named Oliver Stone? :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

pk500 wrote:Interesting read, but was the retired public relations executive who wrote this named Oliver Stone? :)

Take care,
PK
Yeah, looks like it would have been easier and less complicated to just kill Chapelle. :lol:

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

No...It's all legit. After reading it I sent an e-mail to Oprah, Cosby, and Sharpton complaining about their actions to bring down Dave...

I woke up at 3AM last night to find Oprah straddling me in bed with my c*ck in her hands. Sharpton was behind Oprah shoving various objects from my bedroom up her ass, while Cosby sat beside the bed constantly repeating: "Mmm, Mmm, Pudding!". My wife didn't wake up, so I think she'd been drugged. Oprah threatened that if I didn't back off them about this, they'd be back and my manhood would be the next thing headed up her pudding hole. I screamed in fear, but they all just laughed.

Clearly, they mean business.

--------

Most ridiculous thing I've ever read in my life, whomever wrote that needs SERIOUS help. It's possible that the Black community was upset with Dave about the show, but I somehow doubt Sharpton broke into his house on several occassions so that he could take pictures standing beside Dave's sleeping children. ABSURD!
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

The whole thing sounds like the set up for a Chappelle sketch.

eman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by eman »

OMG, as I finished reading the article the power in my house went out! As I searched for a flash light, a big black man walked into my house with a picture of my son and explained that I should stay away from that website or else...

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

"On Tuesday, while watching an episode of the Oprah Winfrey show, Chappelle recalled being completely stunned when Winfrey turned to the camera in the middle of interviewing Tom Cruise and said "Dave Chappelle, you should be ashamed of yourself for airing that Niggars sketch on your show this week, I'm going to make sure you never work in Hollywood again."

The image, allegedly taped by Winfrey, and transmitted to Chappelle's house under the direction of Robert L. Johnson who called in some favors with Chappelle's local affiliate station manager, terrified Chappelle.
"

Ummm.. NO.

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

James_E wrote: The image, allegedly taped by Winfrey, and transmitted to Chappelle's house under the direction of Robert L. Johnson who called in some favors with Chappelle's local affiliate station manager, terrified Chappelle.
"

Ummm.. NO.
Yeah, that part definitely clinched it for me. I wouldn't mess with her either.
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

Cool, I finally get a chance to bump one of these old ass threads... and keep my streak alive of 900+ posts without starting a thread. :wink:

Anywho, set your TVs and VCRs: Chappelle will apparently reveal all and explain "why he walked away from $50 million” to Oprah on Friday. It will be tough to sit through an hour of Oprah, but I'm all ears on this one.
"Whatever, I don't know why you even play yourself to that degree,
you laugh at me?" - Del

"Said the whisper to the secret..." - King's X

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

More importantly, the concert film of his Block Party is coming out in March! That's going to be excellent.