OT: Chapelle's Show apparently is over

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

TheMightyPuck
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheMightyPuck »

Kazuya wrote:Cool, I finally get a chance to bump one of these old ass threads... and keep my streak alive of 900+ posts without starting a thread. :wink:

Anywho, set your TVs and VCRs: Chappelle will apparently reveal all and explain "why he walked away from $50 million” to Oprah on Friday. It will be tough to sit through an hour of Oprah, but I'm all ears on this one.
ZOMG that means the website conspiracy theories are true.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

Just saw Dave on Oprah. There wasn't a whole lot of revelation about why he left the show. He basically said that he was starting to question whether the show was socially irresponsible, and the people surrounding him on the show were becoming manipulative and too controlling. He also said that the media frenzy surrounding the show was getting out of control.

He left the door open regarding a possible return to the show.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

AJColossal wrote:He basically said that he was starting to question whether the show was socially irresponsible,
Isn't that just what was said in that whole conspiracy theory. Maybe they have brain washed him ;)
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

reeche
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by reeche »

I can definitely see where a social satirist can have conflicted feelings about their expression. Especially a black one. Sometimes a person can be striving for a higher point and people only catch the very surface of it, and by doing so miss the point entirely. Perfect evidence of this would be all the kids running around spouting his catch phrases and calling everybody nigga that was rampant on Xbox Live. Even more annoying when it's just not kids which is understandable. Same issue that Aaron Mcgruder runs into ocassionally.
http://www.whas11.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=49293&catId=49
---Lend a ***** a pencil--- Context?

jondiehl
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jondiehl »

reeche wrote:Perfect evidence of this would be all the kids running around spouting his catch phrases and calling everybody nigga that was rampant on Xbox Live.
OMG, tell me about it. If I hear "I'm Rick James, b*tch" one more time, I might destroy my headset. :lol:
XBoxJon
[url=http://live.xbox.com/member/XBoxJon]Gamer Profile[/url]
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-us/profile/MessageCenter/SendMessage.aspx?gt=XBoxJon]Send me a XBL message[/url]

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Oil?? who said anything about Oil?? You cooking b*tch?

reeche
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by reeche »

fsquid wrote:Oil?? who said anything about Oil?? You cooking b*tch?
Yep. As far as generating catch phrases or great individual lines, the only thing that really compares to Dave in my lifetime is Eddie Murphy when he was on SNL and his post SNL period where he was incredibly hot. I remember as a kid everybody you knew reciting his skits or lines back to you. I got so burned out on Buckwheat because everybody and his brother was doing that.
http://www.whas11.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=49293&catId=49

jondiehl
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jondiehl »

reeche wrote:I remember as a kid everybody you knew reciting his skits or lines back to you. I got so burned out on Buckwheat because everybody and his brother was doing that.
Ah yes, who doesn't love the Buckwheat SNL commercial of him singing classics like "Lookin' pa nub". :lol:
XBoxJon
[url=http://live.xbox.com/member/XBoxJon]Gamer Profile[/url]
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-us/profile/MessageCenter/SendMessage.aspx?gt=XBoxJon]Send me a XBL message[/url]

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Fee time a wady!!!

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

OK, I just watched the Oprah interview. This man clearly had a nasty breakdown and does not, to my eyes, appear to be completely there. I don't know if he's legally medicated, "self prescribing," or just shell-shocked, but he had it all: the 1000 yard stare, mood swings, non-sequitors. In short, he's one squirrely mother)(#^.

He clearly has an enormous persecution complex, and more than a healthy dose of paranoia thrown in for good measure.

The criteria he said were necessary for a comeback were bizarre as well. He wants the creative control that he was already blessed with, and he wants half the DVD revenue to go to charity??? What's to stop him from just donating the half he was already getting?

I do understand the points he was making about his humor being improperly interpreted or misappropriated. As reeche eloquently pointed out, it's a very real problem for comics and satirists. But it sure seemed that it was paranoia and delusion that were the primary culprits of his downfall.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

TheHiddenTrack
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by TheHiddenTrack »

RobVarak wrote:OK, I just watched the Oprah interview. This man clearly had a nasty breakdown and does not, to my eyes, appear to be completely there. I don't know if he's legally medicated, "self prescribing," or just shell-shocked, but he had it all: the 1000 yard stare, mood swings, non-sequitors. In short, he's one squirrely mother)(#^.

He clearly has an enormous persecution complex, and more than a healthy dose of paranoia thrown in for good measure.

The criteria he said were necessary for a comeback were bizarre as well. He wants the creative control that he was already blessed with, and he wants half the DVD revenue to go to charity??? What's to stop him from just donating the half he was already getting?

I do understand the points he was making about his humor being improperly interpreted or misappropriated. As reeche eloquently pointed out, it's a very real problem for comics and satirists. But it sure seemed that it was paranoia and delusion that were the primary culprits of his downfall.
I wouldn't say that he wasn't "all there." I think he was talking about a topic that made him emotional and something that he probably doesn't understand himself.

I would agree that he was paranoid and delusional to some degree. He was obviously extremely stressed out, which happens automatically when you are doing a show like that, and have the pressure to live up to the hype.

His behavior must have alienated everyone, and it sounds like he may be in denial. I can understand though, it sounds like they basically had an intervention to tell him he wasn't "well." It's hard to imagine everyone was just trying to manipulate him......it just doesn't all add up. I don't totally dismiss his claims totally, because the only way to know would be to ask people who were involved with the show. What exactly was he doing that basically caused everyone to come to the conclusion he wasn't "well." If he truly was doing okay, then I don't blame him. They shouldn't have been so aggressive. Had they just shut things down for a little while, instead of "take these" and in order to get the show done, he may have been more receptive. But to him, it obviously felt like they cared more about getting the show done than anything else. And he also started to feel like he was doing more harm than good with the show. Which is understandable if he has white kids coming up to him saying nigger jokes and what not..........Throw in 50 million, people may have started acting differently around him.....tough situation. I'm glad it looks like he's getting better.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

I think it's all World of Warcraft's fault.

SoMisss2000
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by SoMisss2000 »

reeche wrote:I can definitely see where a social satirist can have conflicted feelings about their expression. Especially a black one. Sometimes a person can be striving for a higher point and people only catch the very surface of it, and by doing so miss the point entirely. Perfect evidence of this would be all the kids running around spouting his catch phrases and calling everybody nigga that was rampant on Xbox Live. Even more annoying when it's just not kids which is understandable. Same issue that Aaron Mcgruder runs into ocassionally.
i understand completely. The N-Family skit, though while funny, uncomfortable for me as an African American. Actually, it wasn't even that funny the more I think about it.

SoMisss2000
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by SoMisss2000 »

There you go right there. IMO, that's what it all boils down to. The man said that the new stuff and old stuff really, while funny, he felt was socially irresponsibe. Seems like he felt like he didn't want to continue to compromise his integrity at the expense of making people laugh. Then the suits are like, do it, do it, do it, and he's like no, no, no. Like he mention, he was generating a lot of money for a lot of folk. I'm sure the pressure was immense. They want money, he wants to stay true to himself.

The funniest and most truthful thing he said was "who leaves America, and goes to South Africa to seek medical attention?"...lol

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

SoMisss2000 wrote:
The funniest and most truthful thing he said was "who leaves America, and goes to South Africa to seek medical attention?"...lol
That was funny, but also telling. I would like to see the transcript, but I believe that immediately before saying that, something telling happened. Oprah asked him if he was in a mental health institution, and Dave said, "In Africa? No."

BTW, I don't watch Oprah regularly, but I thougth she did a very nice job with the interview. She was humane throughout but direct when bluntness was called for. I don't know if her interviews are always that well balanced, but for someone who gets her fair share of sh-- I think it's appropriate to give her some credit here.

As for the N- family, I think that was both funny and brilliant. His whole point (as he mentions in his intro I think) was to demonstrate the power of words and their context.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

reeche
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by reeche »

RobVarak wrote:OK, I just watched the Oprah interview. This man clearly had a nasty breakdown and does not, to my eyes, appear to be completely there. I don't know if he's legally medicated, "self prescribing," or just shell-shocked, but he had it all: the 1000 yard stare, mood swings, non-sequitors. In short, he's one squirrely mother)(#^.
I watched it also. I would disagree about the not being there bit. I have followed Dave for quite a while way before the Chapelle Show was ever big and he didn't seem that different to me in his answer style. That's just his speaking style when he's interviewed. He's a rambler. I don't think it has anything to do with his mindset. That's just the way it is.

He comes off as a little paranoid which he even admits but then I'm not in his shoes. I'm sure if I hit the lottery, my perception of the people around me might change also. Both in correct and incorrect ways.

I just hope he comes back in whatever venue that takes as someone that gifted should be practicing his craft . Personally I would prefer him on something like HBO instead of Comedy Central where his restrictions are far less. One down hoepfully some reporter will write a good book on what really happened. Right now it's just a case of he said she said on both sides. I think the truth is probably in the middle as it always tends to be.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I truly hesitate to re-enter this discussion (you can see my opinions in my post on the first page), but I just have to chime in on a couple of points.

I was only on the show for the truncated thrid season (and that, only after Dave disappeared, apparently to go on the Hajj, forcing an unexpected hiatus in production that winter), but it was pretty clear that Dave hated, and I mean HATED coming to work. He just doesn't like single-camera shoots. Too much waiting around (of course, we did a hell of a lot of waiting for him to come on set once we were ready to shoot, too), and mostly, NO AUDIENCE. Dave is a stand-up comedian. It is very hard for a stand-up to do his schtick with no audience. Now, plenty of times there was tons of laughter on set, but you know, you don't want to ruin any takes. But honestly, one can understand that if you're used to the immediate feedback of an audience, it's tough to tell if what you are doing is funny when you do it in front of a camera with no audience.

I don't know them personally, but I really think most of what happened was due to a serious falling out between Neal and Dave. A lot of the stuff we were shooting in the thrid season was, while funny, pretty mean-spirited, and I just think Dave didn't like doing that stuff because he wasn't sure if was really funny. There was a whole thing with him kicking a baby . . . .

He did really seem to be having fun when we did the Gary Coleman sketch, and he seemed to get a kick out of the Chuck Taylor bit, but some of the other stuff he seemed very uncomfortable with. But again, he just hated to come to work (of course, most of us hated to come to work, and we weren't getting paid like him, but I digress. . . ).

The 'suits' didn't have anything to do with forcing him to do stuff he didn't like. If anything, the 'suits' wanted him to tone it down. It was more the creative bunch, Neal and the other writers, that he was disagreeing with. And the bizarre contradiction of it all was that he seemed to bemoan not being more involved in the writing, but it appeared that he was happier at home in Ohio than coming in and doing the work with the other guys on the writing. I think Dave had more input on the writing in the first season, and then sort of left it up to Neal to do the bulk of it after that. That's really just speculation on my part, but that's what it seemed like to me.

In the end, I think when the show was burried anonymously on Comedy Central, no one was getting paid a lot, and no attention was given to it, it was easier for him to have fun with it. But with the big contract (he still gets half of all DVD sales, I think) and all the press and pub, with Comedy Central basically making it clear his was THE show for them, the whole thing changed for him, and the pressure got too great. The way he went about it, however, was inexcusable I think. He left a lot of people waving in the wind, and cost Comedy Central a TON of money on wasted marketing.

He should stick to standup; he makes a lot more money doing that, and it suits him better as a performer. But it is a shame, because the kind of cultural impact this show had is very, very rare. If you could bottle it. . . .

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Until I sign a $50 Million contract and see how people around me react, I'll give Dave the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Utlimately, my take on what he said happened is that suddenly this show became HUGE, and Dave looks around and everyone is on set planning to buy 'bling', his agents/handlers want him to do everything from county fairs to Vegas in an effort to 'cash in' on the typically short-lived HEAT surrounding the show, and it just seems like the whole world suddenly wants a piece of him.

Dave lacks a really good, trusted, friend & business advisor. Someone that could've stepped in. I think people kept pushing to do MORE and Dave started to pull back. That made a few (not nice) people say "Dave, you're crazy", which made Chapelle pull back further. This, in turn, made normally trusted people (wife, friend/co-writer Neil Brennan) also question Dave's mental state (not that he's crazy, but that he's in over his head). This confirms to the somewhat justifiably paranoid Dave that he can't trust anyone.

Escape to Africa. The rest is history.

In the end, I think he'll be back on his show ONLY to complete the 3rd season.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

TheMightyPuck
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheMightyPuck »

It ain't paranoia if they really are out to get you 8O

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

FYI, Comedy Central has been airing the "Lost Episodes" of Chapelle's Show this week.

Here is a link discussing:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01541.html

-G7

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Saw the first episode Sunday and was not impressed. The first sketch about him getting his deal was kind of funny, but the one about him getting revenge was just pointless and the Tupac one was a good idea stretched out about 4 minutes too long.

Too bad -- season 2 is one of the all-time great comedy runs.

Waddupcouzin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Waddupcouzin »

I guess this is the reason he left! Never being able to top what he did in Season 2 in people's minds.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Zeppo wrote:I truly hesitate to re-enter this discussion (you can see my opinions in my post on the first page), but I just have to chime in on a couple of points.

I was only on the show for the truncated thrid season (and that, only after Dave disappeared, apparently to go on the Hajj, forcing an unexpected hiatus in production that winter), but it was pretty clear that Dave hated, and I mean HATED coming to work. He just doesn't like single-camera shoots. Too much waiting around (of course, we did a hell of a lot of waiting for him to come on set once we were ready to shoot, too), and mostly, NO AUDIENCE. Dave is a stand-up comedian. It is very hard for a stand-up to do his schtick with no audience. Now, plenty of times there was tons of laughter on set, but you know, you don't want to ruin any takes. But honestly, one can understand that if you're used to the immediate feedback of an audience, it's tough to tell if what you are doing is funny when you do it in front of a camera with no audience.

I don't know them personally, but I really think most of what happened was due to a serious falling out between Neal and Dave. A lot of the stuff we were shooting in the thrid season was, while funny, pretty mean-spirited, and I just think Dave didn't like doing that stuff because he wasn't sure if was really funny. There was a whole thing with him kicking a baby . . . .

He did really seem to be having fun when we did the Gary Coleman sketch, and he seemed to get a kick out of the Chuck Taylor bit, but some of the other stuff he seemed very uncomfortable with. But again, he just hated to come to work (of course, most of us hated to come to work, and we weren't getting paid like him, but I digress. . . ).

The 'suits' didn't have anything to do with forcing him to do stuff he didn't like. If anything, the 'suits' wanted him to tone it down. It was more the creative bunch, Neal and the other writers, that he was disagreeing with. And the bizarre contradiction of it all was that he seemed to bemoan not being more involved in the writing, but it appeared that he was happier at home in Ohio than coming in and doing the work with the other guys on the writing. I think Dave had more input on the writing in the first season, and then sort of left it up to Neal to do the bulk of it after that. That's really just speculation on my part, but that's what it seemed like to me.

In the end, I think when the show was burried anonymously on Comedy Central, no one was getting paid a lot, and no attention was given to it, it was easier for him to have fun with it. But with the big contract (he still gets half of all DVD sales, I think) and all the press and pub, with Comedy Central basically making it clear his was THE show for them, the whole thing changed for him, and the pressure got too great. The way he went about it, however, was inexcusable I think. He left a lot of people waving in the wind, and cost Comedy Central a TON of money on wasted marketing.

He should stick to standup; he makes a lot more money doing that, and it suits him better as a performer. But it is a shame, because the kind of cultural impact this show had is very, very rare. If you could bottle it. . . .

what skits were u in?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Sudz wrote:

what skits were u in?
He was that Oscar the Grouch knock-off in the Q-tip sketch. :)