Did anyone check out The Devil's Rejects yet?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

ExtremeGamer wrote:
bdoughty wrote:
ScoopBrady wrote:Damn Brent, who pissed in your Wheaties this morning? I personally like Zombie's films because they feel different than your typical horror/slasher efforts being released in America. I like the way he nods his cap towards the classics. I like the 70's infusion. I'm not a Japanese/Italian horror watcher so I can't comment on those. From what's been released in America in this genre over the past 15 years or so, I'll take House of 1,000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects any day of the week. Sorry I brought it up, but I thought the movie was cool.
Nobody did. If someone pissed in my Wheaties I would probably be in jail for manslaughter. I just do not agree with you on Zombies first movie or that he is somehow a good director. Had I known this thread was only dedicated to people who jizz all over Rob then I would have stayed away from it. I simply enjoy horror movies and wanted to give my two cents based on the statement you made.

My apologies in advance. I guess DSP needs a a stick thread for people who disagree or have an opinion that differs from the thread starter.

Instead of avatars it seems we need a sensitivity meter in it's place.
Yet you feel it's ok to give your opinion on a movie that you've never seen? LOL

Well let me put my imagination back on hold for just a second to clear things up. My comments were only relating to House of 1000 corpses and Rob Zombie as a director of that movie. If you look at the second post on this thread it will be quite obvious to you. I have never once discussed the quality of The Devils Rejects, only that I would wait till it is free based on his past work.

Reading is FUNdamental! Now leave me be as I somehow feel you are a poster at OS I once made disgruntled. I am no longer at OS which should be pretty damn obvious by my absence and lack of posts there.

Imagination cap back on! Ignore list at 100% capacity!

ExtremeGamer
Mario Mendoza

Post by ExtremeGamer »

Seriously BD, I was seriously trying to have a conversation with you regarding horror films. I have no clue where you took it, or whatever. But that's cool. My imagination cap is now on as well. Good day!

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

bdoughty wrote:Nobody did. If someone pissed in my Wheaties I would probably be in jail for manslaughter. I just do not agree with you on Zombies first movie or that he is somehow a good director. Had I known this thread was only dedicated to people who jizz all over Rob then I would have stayed away from it. I simply enjoy horror movies and wanted to give my two cents based on the statement you made.

My apologies in advance. I guess DSP needs a sticky thread for people who disagree or have an opinion that differs from the thread starter.

Instead of avatars it seems we need a sensitivity meter in it's place.
The Wheaties comment was made because you are getting hornery with everyone in the thread, not just me. I personally could care less if you don't like Rob Zombie as a director as everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that. What I don't respect is the fact that it seems like you came into this thread just to argue and that's simply not the DSP way IMO. Maybe I'm wrong. It just seemed so IGNish (boards) of you and I've never seen that from you in the past.
bdoughty wrote:My apologies in advance. I guess DSP needs a sticky thread for people who disagree or have an opinion that differs from the thread starter.
And are you f@#$ing kidding me with this? You're getting more bent out of shape than anyone else in this thread and you're the only one who has commented that you don't like Rob Zombie as a director. Talk about the f#%$king pot calling the kettle black.

I respect your opinion but at least watch The Devil's Rejects before you form a complete opinion on Rob Zombie's directing ability. TDR is a perfect extension of House of 1,000 Corpses and after seeing both of them it makes me realize that judging House of 1,000 Corpses without seeing TDR is like judging the first Lord of the Rings movie without seeing the whole trilogy.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

I personally could care less if you don't like Rob Zombie as a director as everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that. What I don't respect is the fact that it seems like you came into this thread just to argue and that's simply not the DSP way IMO. Maybe I'm wrong. It just seemed so IGNish (boards) of you and I've never seen that from you in the past.
I had no idea there was a DSP Way? I was one of the first to sign up at DSP and do not recall seeing this.

http://digitalsportspage.com/modules.ph ... mbers_List
#26 to be exact

Maybe you could go into detail so I do not mistakingly veer from the path again.

I simply disagree with Rob Zombie being a good director based on the work I had seen. I tossed in a little sarcasm and pun on the name of the movie and character (would an image made you feel better)? What you call an argument I call my opinion.

TDR is a perfect extension of House of 1,000 Corpses and after seeing both of them it makes me realize that judging House of 1,000 Corpses without seeing TDR is like judging the first Lord of the Rings movie without seeing the whole trilogy.

Well I hate to sound IGN'ish but WTF? Extension is simply a big word for sequel or prequel. Unless Rob Zombies wife comes to my house, blows me and hands me a wad of cash, I really doubt there is anything in The Devils Rejects that would make me appreciate the House of 1,000 Corpses any more. I understand the concept of the sequel but it's not like you have to see Friday the 13th Part 8 to fully appreciate or dislike part 2. Some movies are good, some are bad. I might like The Devils Rejects when I decide to see it, but it would not make me change my mind on the House of 1,000 corpses. It might make me think that Zombie is a competent director of horror movies. Some clues might get unlocked and make me say "oh that is what they mean by -x-" but will not reshape the foundation of my basis that the movie is simply bad.

I will pass your theory on to all the major reviewers though. I am sure Ebert will be the thrilled with the "Thou shall not pass judgement of a movie until all the sequels have been finalized" putting him out of a job. No more reviews ever, since we never know when or if a sequel is going to happen. Just think of those poor dopes back in the 70's who reviewed Star Wars not knowing there would be 5 more of them to come.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I have to post this to get off of 6666 posts...and I figure this thread is perfect given the content thus far.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Again, how IGN of you Brent. Now you're using how long you've been here to prove a point. What's next, "My post count is bigger than yours."? I tend to think there is a DSP way or at least I sure get the impression that DSP is different from other message boards. Going into a thread about a topic you don't like in a troll-like manner does not go on typically at DSP. This is not IGN. Maybe I'm crazy but I sure as hell see a difference between the two sites. I'm all for hearty debate but I'm not too fond of trolling and that's exactly what you did.

I started the thread about TDR and recommended fans of Texas Chainsaw Massacre check out House of 1,000 Corpses.

You state that Rob Zombie sucks as a director.

I politely say that we'll agree to disagree and that I enjoyed his movies.

You come back with horror site reviews and proceed to get into it with everyone else in the thread who liked House of 1,000 Corpses.

To me, that's typical behavior found on the IGN boards, not DSP.

I understand you don't like Rob Zombie as a director. I respect your opinion on that. I happen to like Rob Zombie as a director. Could you respect my opinion on that? I don't need you showing me movie reviews from people I don't give a s*** about.

I just thought I'd recommend a movie I saw. I didn't realize the f#@$ing Horror Movie Police would deconstruct everything I said.
I am a patient boy.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Again, how IGN of you Brent. Now you're using how long you've been here to prove a point. What's next, "My post count is bigger than yours."?
No I just threw that out because I have been here since almost day one and have never seen this "DSP Way" you refer to. Sure it is a more mature forum then IGN but it's not like DSP does not have it's own brand of goofiness. My reply was simply what it is. Congrats on blowing it out of context I guess? Speaking of blowing things of context.

You come back with horror site reviews and proceed to get into it with everyone else in the thread who liked House of 1,000 Corpses.

To me, that's typical behavior found on the IGN boards, not DSP.
Overexaggerate much? You might want to dust off the old Abacus to see just how many people there are participating in this very thread. Everyone I got into it with = one new guy, apparently with an axe to grind and missing more points then Chris Dudley's whole career at the Free Throw line.

You like Rob Zombie. I did not like the one film of his I saw or his directing of it. I kept the discussion on-topic, I did see and dislike House of 1000 corpses which was directed by Rob Zombie so I threw my two cents in based on your comment. I gave an alternate opinion of his directing skill. I then posted a list of foreign movies that "horror fans" might be intrested in, and was primarily directed at DB who jokingly referred to them as snuff films.

If that is trolling the you might want to keep a box of kleenex at your side because the world is much tougher then my disdain for House of 1000 corpses.

Yours Truly

Brent-IGN

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Dude, whatever. I'm done with this argument. In this thread you've been a dick to me, to ExtremeGamer, and to Boltman. Tissue is needed in this thread all right. That's because there's a jerk-off in it. If you have anything else to say to me about it PM me otherwise I'd like to steer the discussion back towards The Devil's Rejects.
I am a patient boy.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Yes always best to end an argument with namecalling and expect the namecalled to take it to PM. Classy... I think that is a move I once learned when I started posting at..... Well you get the point. Irony once again defined on a message board.

Oh and

To keep it on topic as you wish.

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

sounds like a girls locker room in here...........
i personally like the movie just for the feel of it, it was like watching an old movie i had not seen before. i did not see house of 1000 either, was it the best ???? no but neither is most of horror anyways.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

BD,

Perhaps you did not fully appreciate 'House of 1,000 Corpses' if you watched it in Pan & Scan on your 'square' TV. Maybe try watching it again in widescreen on a nice 16X9 set to get the directors full cinematic intent. :wink:
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

GROGtheNailer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GROGtheNailer »

Objection, arguementative ! Sustained.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Spooky wrote:BD,

Perhaps you did not fully appreciate 'House of 1,000 Corpses' if you watched it in Pan & Scan on your 'square' TV. Maybe try watching it again in widescreen on a nice 16X9 set to get the directors full cinematic intent. :wink:
Except that his 8000 year old grandma is now enjoying the set while he looks at a nice 13 inch b & w. But hey, the 13 incher is a widescreen!

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Brent,
I clicked on the link you posted to IGN and the first thing I saw was this:
The Horror Geek Speaks: The Devil's Rejects
Rob Zombie's sophmore effort is a must see for horror fans.

I decided to read on and it seems like he really liked The Devil's Rejects and says that Rob Zombie, for the most part, reached the potential as a director that he saw from him in House of 1,000 Corpses.

I'm not sure if that's what you wanted me to read or not. Was it?
I am a patient boy.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

ScoopBrady wrote:Brent,
I clicked on the link you posted to IGN and the first thing I saw was this:
The Horror Geek Speaks: The Devil's Rejects
Rob Zombie's sophmore effort is a must see for horror fans.

I decided to read on and it seems like he really liked The Devil's Rejects and says that Rob Zombie, for the most part, reached the potential as a director that he saw from him in House of 1,000 Corpses.

I'm not sure if that's what you wanted me to read or not. Was it?
He's using his 'imagination'...remember? :roll: He is not able to see your post. Duh! :wink:
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Scoop,

No I was talking about the House of 1000 Corpses Review. Maybe he saw some hope in The Devils Rejects? I have not read that one yet. Like I said in the PM, you get me the LARGE TUB of popcorn and I will check it out. I am not a cheap date.

DB,

Even my grandmother hates you now. :)

Spooky,

Ha ha no more 4:3 humor for you!

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

I never saw either of these, but they are on my "to watch" list.

Anyone see the one made by Dee Snider? Never saw it, and I can't remember the name, but that one has been on my list for a long time. Is it worth seeing?

BTW, One of the only recent (past 5 years) horror flicks I really liked was 28 days later. Come to think of it, not that we have 2 small children I don't see many of these at all. Can anyone provide a short list of good ones that have come out in the past 5 years or so? I don't get into Italian or Japanese films unless there's a giant lizard/dinosaur-like creature threatening to crush Tokyo :)
-Matt

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

matthewk wrote:Anyone see the one made by Dee Snider? Never saw it, and I can't remember the name, but that one has been on my list for a long time. Is it worth seeing?
That was called Strangeland. If you enjoy B-movies you will probably enjoy it otherwise I'd steer clear.
I am a patient boy.

Jayhawker
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Jayhawker »

I just caught an AWESOME doc on IFC, The American Nightmare. Easily one of the best docs I have ever seen, and a must see for all fans of the 70's horror films. Great interviews with George Romero, John Carpenter, Wes Craven, Tobe Hooper, Tom Saviani and David Cronenberg as well as other "scholars".

The movies Night of the Living Dead, The Last House on the Left, Shivers, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Dawn of the Dead are discussed at length, as well as other films from the time period, 1968-1978. The movie intersperses clips from the movies with events of the time in order to put into perspective the driving forces of horro at the time.

What really made this film stand out were the interviews, as the director really dug into the psyche of these directors, and how they came to produce some of the most disturbing films ever. The film also showed some pretty gory scenes from the films, along with some pretty gory clips from real life.

Tom Savini is such a goofball, and usually annoys me when he is interviewed, but his description of his time in Vietnam is pretty intense. He's still pretty cheesy, but the situation he found himself in wasn't. It's the first time I ever saw him intereviewed in which I really felt like I understood where he was coming from and really cared about the guy.

One downside of this doc, is the HUGE spoiler they give away in Night of the Living Dead. But you should really see this before viewing this doc, anyway.

On the bright side, my wife got to see some of thses movies and really enjoy them in this form, when she would never watch something like The Last House on the Left, in which the ending is given away as well. I have never seen that film, but it's on my short list now. Rob Zombie definitely was inspired by that movie.

The only other thing that some may find annoying, is that while it discussed politics and events of the time and their influence on the directors, it defintely does it from a liberal point of view.

I know that I am always recommending documentaries, as they are my favorite kind of film, but for horror film fans, this is really a must see. It is an IFC original from 2000. I didn't see any more upcoming viewings, but I would imagine it will run again later this month, as IFC is doing slasher films for the month of August. It is available on DVD, and may be at the video store. I just ordered a copy of it, as it is a definite keeper.